• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

I didn't even care about how the MP GFX look because the gameplay makes up for it double.

Been having fun all night playing MP. This is a surprise game. I really am enjoying the MP legitimately. I can see me playing this for a WHILE.

Also the controls feel good now. At first I felt like I was controlling Old Snake through a microwave but now it feels good. I play free aim, target assist and slowdown off, aim acceleration at 10 and h/v speed @ 7. Feels completely natural now.

Yes this! Just tried it and makes the game SO much better

So much better than I expected. Stays true enough to Max Payne while adding enough new to still be worth playing. Delicate line there but they've handled it nicely and it feels solid. Impressed.

I'm assuming thats a good thing?

It's daring. I'll wait till the game's over before declaring it a good thing. There's some pretty shocking stuff that happens in Act 2. Though I will say this, it defies my expectations, and that's good. Now I have no idea where the story will go, and it's exciting.

And this game is far more grim then the previous two games and any previous R* game (except for Manhunt and its sequel), that is for sure. The brutality is nearly off the scale. There is some seriously disturbing shit that happens in this game. A lot of it is down to the setting. For the people saying that Brazil is a lame location and there will be sunny beaches and a tropical paradise... fuck no. I don't know how accurate this depiction of Sao Paulo is, but if real life is anything close to this, I am not visiting that country ever.

It's daring. I'll wait till the game's over before declaring it a good thing. There's some pretty shocking stuff that happens in Act 2. Though I will say this, it defies my expectations, and that's good. Now I have no idea where the story will go, and it's exciting.

You just made the wait 'till friday that much more excruciating. Thanks, bro.

M.W.

Awesome f*cking game. I only played 2 chapters and one MP match tonight, but consider me hooked. Sh*t is the sh*t.

And this game is far more grim then the previous two games and any previous R* game (except for Manhunt and its sequel), that is for sure. The brutality is nearly off the scale. There is some seriously disturbing shit that happens in this game. A lot of it is down to the setting. For the people saying that Brazil is a lame location and there will be sunny beaches and a tropical paradise... fuck no. I don't know how accurate this depiction of Sao Paulo is, but if real life is anything close to this, I am not visiting that country ever.

I now have a boner.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
GEEZE!

Just finished I think chapter 9 and man it was pretty crazy.

This game is so good. I want to play more, but got a paper to type lol.

Muskweeto

Just got home from work, have tomorrow off and plan on at least getting near the end of single player. This game is pretty freaking amazing and I'm glad this thread has stayed mostly positive.

This game is closest you get to a John Woo movie in Brazil that does not feature Chow Yun-Fat and white pigeons.

However shoot dodge mechanics gets tired quick and checkpoints are annoying at certain points. Most of all you die
a lot I mean a lot!!!

Shady859

Loving the SP i'm on mission 5 and yet to touch the MP. I rented it but if the MP is decent i'd say this would've been worthy of a day 1 purchase.

To the person who asked about easy/medium.... I'm on medium with medium autoaim assist level and i've died several times.

Playing some Max Payne 1, forgot that this had bullet cam too, where you could keep on shooting the last guy who gets kill cutscene.

Is the only new mechanic in MP 3 "last stand"?

God damn it, I need this game in my veins. Just ordered the 360 version even though I was going to wait for the PC.

Partly because I thought the performance of Red Dead was just fine, partly because I don't have faith in a solid PC version, and partly because when and if co-op drops that's where I'll find my partners in crime.

/bullshit-rationalizations

And hell, knowing me, if the PC version turns out to be fucking stellar I'll probably end up double-dipping down the line after a price drop or two.

But hell, that gunplay looks fantastic.

I'll just blame GAF for my lack of self-control. Its much easier that way.

Chapter IV is where Max Payne 3 started to blow my mind. That writing, that atmosphere, that tech. Jesus.

And that's also where I left off. Excited to see where it goes from there.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Is there a way to make the crosshair or dot visible at all times? Like how it was in the old games and not only when you have the gun out?

It will help tremendously to line up shots in free aim. I seem to find myself popping out of cover and be off aim.

MattDoza

should I start on easy or medium? I hate frustrating games ^^

If you're an above average player(shooters, in particluar) Hard is a good challenge. I've not struggled and died as much I expected going in. Easy is probably Rambo Payne.

I'm probably pretty late to respond to this, though.

soultron

Banned
Is there a way to make the crosshair or dot visible at all times? Like how it was in the old games and not only when you have the gun out?

It will help tremendously to line up shots in free aim. I seem to find myself popping out of cover and be off aim.

I don't think there's an option for that. You can change the reticule to be always white (grey when reloading) and so that it's weapon specific (I do this and it's awesome.) but beyond that I'm not sure. It pulses when you come out of cover so you can quickly locate it on screen.

I have to ask but does anybody think its possible to beat the game without using bullet time at all? (outside of situations where you are forced to for cinematic purposes)

Every time I think of slowing time in a shooter I think of the original F.E.A.R. and how awesome it was to replay missions without using any slow-mo juice. To my surprise that game held up just as well without it. Any chance Payne is similar?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
God damn, this game is so fun and it's so fucking beautiful.

I'm enjoying it so far...A LOT. The shoot outs are fucking godly. The whole
sniper shoot out in the baseball stadium..god damn

Finished it in 4 long ass sittings with soft lock and normal enabled. I eagerly await the spoiler thread because MAAAAN does it get awesome. The credits are pretty long too as im posting this, it's still going on lol

And oh my god did HEALTH did an amazing job with the score. Really gave it an already distinct identity you don't see in most games.

Hail Rockstar.

Chapter IV is where Max Payne 3 started to blow my mind. That writing, that atmosphere, that tech. Jesus.

And that's also where I left off. Excited to see where it goes from there.

Yeah, Chapter IV is where I stopped too. Had to take a breath because it's like I'm playing a Michael Mann film its that awesome.

This may be premature but I don't care.

This is my favorite multiplayer game of the generation. This is fun incarnate. Bullet time and everything that comes with it is amazing, Euphoria never ceases to provide the comedy, the guns feel amazing, I love the weight of the characters, Gang Wars is so good, the maps are good, etc. etc. Give me one pistol with nothing else and I'm good to go. Aside from FEAR Combat, there's not one other multiplayer game in the last 7 years I could say that about.

*BOW* ROCKSTAR

This may be premature but I don't care.

This is my favorite multiplayer game of the generation. This is fun incarnate. Bullet time and everything that comes with it is amazing, Euphoria never ceases to provide the comedy, the guns feel amazing, I love the weight of the characters, Gang Wars is so good, the maps are good, etc. etc. Give me one pistol with nothing else and I'm good to go. Aside from FEAR Combat, there's not one other multiplayer game in the last 7 years I could say that about.

*BOW* ROCKSTAR

Yup, I'm having a blast with the MP too. So good.

Yeah, Chapter IV is where I stopped too. Had to take a breath because it's like I'm playing a Michael Mann film its that awesome.

Ha... Actually? I've made a promise to myself to never buy into the hype of a game's story, be it a game from Rockstar or any other developer. I think I just enjoy video game stories less than the average person.

And Net_Wrecker, I've a feeling you've not played Gears 3, as I guarantee you'd be giving it a mention in that spiel.

kyo27

graphics are good but looks really soft, almost blurry. Is this game sub hd? I'm also not liking the reticle. Its so tiny that it gets lost in the action sometimes.

Top Bottom