• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maybe Android tablets not doing so bad: at 39% Market Share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

You're talking about software features right? The iPad 1 shipped with iOS 3…

Hardware and software. iOS 3 is still less capable than many Android versions in many ways. As for hardware, there's tons of room for improvement aside from just pumping up your processors.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is only for the last quarter. Android tablets as a whole have a lot of ground to be made up. It'll still happen eventually, but not for some time.

I agree. It could be like what the smartphone space looks like now. Android phones took a while to catch up, but it did past the iphone. This is good since I'm looking to get my first Android tablet this year.

Vyer

It's true, the Fire is a decent tablet for the money but it's on a heavily modified version of 2.3 Gingerbread and doesn't have access to the real Android Market, just Amazon's. But it doesn't help in terms of app development if the highest selling tablets on the market aren't even running Honeycomb, much less ICS.

Worse yet, I've mentioned it before, but I found Amazon's app store/market absolutely terrible in terms of presentation on the Fire. Unfortunately if that's going to be the first experience with what they think the 'Android Market' for a lot of people as the Fire's popularity grows, that's not a good thing.

kehs

Banned
What does that have to do with anything? Is your argument that this specific 10 day period had a lob-sided fury of iPad activity for some reason that the data should be tossed or something? I admit the window could be bigger, but does the window of time really matter as long as it's not like an hour or a day? It's more than a week. A month would be better. A year would be even better...but 10 days isn't insignificant or something.

I'm just pointing out that at least in this chart we're looking at real data of consumer owned tablets...not shipped numbers.

Your saying growing shipped numbers for an entire quarter don't matter, but data derived from ad impressions for 10 days holds more value?

giga

Hardware and software. iOS 3 is still less capable than many Android versions in many ways. As for hardware, there's tons of room for improvement aside from just pumping up your processors.
I'm not trying to make a comparison to other platforms. I'm just saying iOS 4 was a significant release.

What do you have in mind about hardware? The iPad 2's hardware upgrade was also significant.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/01/24Apple-Reports-First-Quarter-Results.html

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I agree. It could be like what the smartphone space looks like now. Android phones took a while to catch up, but it did past the iphone. This is good since I'm looking to get my first Android tablet this year.

Not so fast

iPhone looks like it's at least equal with Android again in the US and outpacing Android globally.

Your saying growing shipped numbers for an entire quarter don't matter, but data derived from ad impressions for 10 days holds more value?
Er...yeah?

What am I missing here? This isn't like 10 days of sales or something. This is a tracking of all tablet activity in the market. All tablets sold to date would be included in the data. The only way to discount this would be to say that iPad users are much more active than Android/Playbook users or something.

Jeff-DSA

I'm not trying to make a comparison to other platforms. I'm just saying iOS 4 was a significant release.

What do you have in mind about hardware? The iPad 2's hardware upgrade was also significant.

How about better A/V out capabilities? Expandable storage? A better camera? A flash? There's lots of stuff.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I wouldn't even believe that during the holiday season there was only 3 iPads sold for every 1 Android tablet. Without sales data I'll continue believing Android basically doesn't exist on tablets in any measurable number until shown otherwise.

Not trying to be an ass about it or anything, I just don't think I've ever seen a convincing report that's shown how Android is at all penetrating the tablet market in any number worth mentioning.

Here's a chart showing web impressions of other tablets...per 100 iPad impressions:
chitikajan2012-lg1.jpg

So for every 100 iPads that were active, there were less than 3 Kindle Fires...and that is leading the pack following by the damn Playbook of all things. And this data was pulled less than a month ago.

This data actually means something to me versus whatever crap is in the OP, no offense to the OP.

Edit: This is US + Canada data only specifically I'm referencing here, although I have no reason to believe the trend is dramatically different overseas. If anything I'd expect Europe to be slightly higher percentage wise, but probably still not cracking anything over 25%.
That jibes well with the OP. Ipad has been on sale for 20 months, fire for 1.5. So to get approx 2% of the market the fire would have to be somewhere like 20-30% of sales in that period.

Vyer

How about better A/V out capabilities? Expandable storage? A better camera? A flash? There's lots of stuff.

I believe the improvements included a camera and HDMI out capabilities. The software jump also included some other options such as Airplay, IIRC.

Cheebo

Banned
I do wonder if Microsoft will bite the bullet and release MS Office for iPad/Android Tablets, especially with them entering the market soon with Windows8.

When that day happens it becomes extremely viable to suggest to someone they can replace their laptop with a tablet and not be restricted in any way.

I'd say within 5 years the majority of GAF will be posting from tablets, not laptops.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not so fast

iPhone looks like it's at least equal with Android again in the US and outpacing Android globally.

Er...yeah?

What am I missing here? This isn't like 10 days of sales or something. This is a tracking of all tablet activity in the market. All tablets sold to date would be included in the data. The only way to discount this would be to say that iPad users are much more active than Android/Playbook users or something.
You just discounted fourth quarter sales as a yardstick for android tablets and then quoted 4th quarter sales as a viable yardstick for Apple phones.

mckmas8808

Yes, those numbers are significant, until you do this.

Number of Manufacturers per platform:

iPad: 1
Android: 10-15 (maybe more).

Why does that matter more to you? And there's 2 ipads out there. This information clearly shows that there's healthy competition in the tablet space now.

DCKing

It makes sense that Android on tablet will reach the same dominance over iOS the coming years. Apple, as a single producer with a single product, cannot hold domination over the market.

And it would probably be a lot better for competition if they didn't. So yay!

--Sent from my Androidified HP Touchpad

Shipped is the Android count. Sold is the iPad count. Not really much of a fair comparison. Plus I'd bet good money more than 80% of the android total is from Kindle Fire.

Didn't HP "ship" half a million TouchPads?

They sold less than 10% of them, prior to the fire sale.

LCfiner

Yeah, those shipped numbers keep going up but I don't think they're translating to real sales (with the possible exceptions of the kindle fire and nook tablet)

Every time some web analytics firm posts stats of website visits or ad impressions from tablets, the ipad is always around 90% or higher.

When (or if) that number starts going down to 80 or 70% for the ipad, then it'll mean that people are buying and using non-iPad tablets. and we'll probably see some of these other tablets in the hands of people in airports and coffee shops and schools. cuz right now, they're practically invisible.

Jeff-DSA

You just discounted fourth quarter sales as a yardstick for android tablets and then quoted 4th quarter sales as a viable yardstick for Apple phones.

Don't bother. He's backed into a corner and scared. Next thing you'll know we'll have to talk about fragmentation or something like that.

RubxQub

I don't think so. The data I'm reporting about iPhone passing Android in the US is saying that the fourth quarter sales improved the iPhones overall marketshare past that of Android, not that the 4th quarter sales specifically passed Android.

Re-reading to make sure, but that's not how I read it.

Actually you're right.

"Research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech said Apple's share of the U.S. market doubled from a year ago to 44.9 percent in the October to December period, just beating Google's Android smartphones, which slipped to 44.8 percent from 50 percent."​
...so comment retracted!

Don't bother. He's backed into a corner and scared. Next thing you'll know we'll have to talk about fragmentation or something like that.
I'm willing to listen to a reasonable argument...honestly. Poppabk is actually trying at least.

Cheebo

Banned
It makes sense that Android on tablet will reach the same dominance over iOS the coming years. Apple, as a single producer with a single product, cannot hold domination over the market.

And it would probably be a lot better for competition if they didn't. So yay!

--Sent from my Androidified HP Touchpad

Same dominance? Android doesn't dominate on smartphones. Apple basically erased the entire lead Android had and the market is split nearly 50-50. Which is probably where it will stay for a long time I'd imagine. Unless Windows 8 takes off to some degree.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
shipped = sold

why are we counting OS instead of Manufacturers!?

The same reason you do it for PCs. It is about the OS when it come to developer support. I don't care if Apple is #1 for PC makers, they are 5% of the market for OSs which means I can't run crap on it.

And LOL at Win 8 making a differnce, just like win7 phones huh?

Cheebo

Banned
Adding them all up is the only way to show any sort of comparison. Until you add in all iOS devices and then it's a runaway horse again.

If you go by pure OS vs OS then the numbers would look pretty different. iirc Apple sold 65 mil iOS devices in the last qtr and have over 350 mil iOS devices in total sold.

And LOL at Win 8 making a differnce, just like win7 phones huh?

Microsoft at least actually seems to be trying this time unlike the joke that was Win7 tablets.

If you go by pure OS vs OS then the numbers would look pretty different. iirc Apple sold 65 mil iOS devices in the last qtr and have over 350 mil iOS devices in total sold.

Exactly, and that may actually explain the lack of a dev resource shift to android phones in the last year or so. When you look at total OS share, it's an iOS landslide.

More wallets, and more wallets actually willing to spend as well.

Divvy

I don't think so. The data I'm reporting about iPhone passing Android in the US is saying that the fourth quarter sales improved the iPhones overall marketshare past that of Android, not that the 4th quarter sales specifically passed Android.

Re-reading to make sure, but that's not how I read it.

I'm willing to listen to a reasonable argument...honestly. Poppabk is actually trying at least.

In the latest 12 weeks of sales*, Apple’s share was at 44.9% while Android took 44.8% of the US market.

It's worded very poorly and can be interpreted both ways. I don't know why they would make a statement like this so unclear.

But if you compare that to neilson's data which shows:

Bn8WD.png

The figures are reasonably close to Kantar's and this one specifies that it is concerning new purchasers in that quarter.

EDIT: Ah you editted.

giga

Let's be honest, we know they won't add expandable storage.

A better front facing camera I can agree with though. The rear camera I haven't used since the first day I opened the tablet. Rear cameras on tablets are useless and awkward. Honestly and I felt they just added that to the iPad 2 as a "me too".

I think AirPlay will be the future going forward in regards to A/V output.

andycapps

Not so fast

That's for one quarter, and that covered when the 4S launched. Android is still substantially ahead.

Edit: You caught the mistake. Back on the same page. :p

Worse yet, I've mentioned it before, but I found Amazon's app store/market absolutely terrible in terms of presentation on the Fire. Unfortunately if that's going to be the first experience with what they think the 'Android Market' for a lot of people as the Fire's popularity grows, that's not a good thing.

I haven't actually gotten around to playing with a Fire yet. I don't really care for the Amazon market on my EVO and haven't bought anything from it as it's all available on the Android Market which I know will be around for years. Amazon market? Yeah, it may be up in a few years. Who knows.

kehs

Banned
Er...yeah?

The problem with ad impressions, is they are rarely counted as unique, and a single user can account for a large portion of impressions. Chitika appears to be solely web based, so browser usage would get thrown into the mix. It's just a poor stat to derive install base.

Exactly, and that may actually explain the lack of a dev resource shift to android phones in the last year or so. When you look at total OS share, it's an iOS landslide.

Unique Market based android devices surpassed 250 million last month. They are activating 700K unique(new) accounts per day and the rate is growing. (None of this counts Non-Google android devices).

I don't think that's a landslide in any sense of the word.

Cheebo

Banned

Also wasn't there a report somewhere that showed Android owners bought very few apps while iOS owners spent a lot more money on apps?

I haven't actually gotten around to playing with a Fire yet. I don't really care for the Amazon market on my EVO and haven't bought anything from it as it's all available on the Android Market which I know will be around for years. Amazon market? Yeah, it may be up in a few years. Who knows.

Amazon isn't going to go anywhere. They are betting the farm on tablets. They are in this for the long haul.

Divvy

Also wasn't there a report somewhere that showed Android owners bought very few apps while iOS owners spent a lot more money on apps?

These comparisons are not very fair since android apps are more skewed towards getting revenue from ads rather than from buying the app itself.

RubxQub

The problem with ad impressions, is they are rarely counted as unique, and a single user can account for a large portion of impressions. Chitika appears to be solely web based, so browser usage would get thrown into the mix. It's just a poor stat to derive install base.

Agreed, not ideal...but at least it's real data with actually sold devices versus just talking about shipped numbers. I'm just fishing for anything better than what's in the OP. I don't give a rats about shipped numbers.

I feel like I'm arguing about NPD results like the good 'ole days

andycapps

Amazon isn't going to go anywhere. They are betting the farm on tablets. They are in this for the long haul.

That may be, but I'm still not interested in anything Amazon branded unless they get a substantially better tablet out there that has access to the full market and is stock ICS. Which they won't do. So it's just not for me, but a lot of people just want to be able to play Angry Birds, watch Netflix, and read Amazon Kindle books. For that, it's fantastic.

I'm intrigued by the 7" Asus tab, particularly with the power it will pack in combination with it's price. Hoping that in a year or less we'll see similar specs in a 10" tab for about $350. Then I'll jump in.

Agreed, not ideal...but at least it's real data with actually sold devices versus just talking about shipped numbers. I'm just fishing for anything better than what's in the OP. I don't give a rats about shipped numbers.

I feel like I'm arguing about NPD results like the good 'ole days

This is only up through the 3rd quarter of last year, so the 4S probably shook up the numbers a good bit.

Across connected devices, the Android OS accounted for 56 percent of all mobile ad impressions in Q3. Apple’s iOS followed with 28 percent of mobile ad impressions, and RIM came in third with 13 percent.

The iPhone accounted for 54 percent of all iOS ad impressions, while the iPad and iPod Touch combined to make up the remaining 46 percent. In the past year, iOS ad impressions grew 60 percent, with iPod Touch impressions up 30 percent and iPad impressions increasing by a massive 456 percent.

mckmas8808

Shipped is the Android count. Sold is the iPad count. Not really much of a fair comparison. Plus I'd bet good money more than 80% of the android total is from Kindle Fire.

Kindle Fire is a decent tablet for media consumption but it has almost no computer replacing content on it like iPad. It is not really a good fit for the post-PC era Apple is bringing about. iPad is perfectly capable of a lot of contention creation abilities and document creation & management. Until a lot of Android tablets take off (and no Transformer Prime and the like have not taken off. They appeal to a very very niche market.) that function as Tablet PC's not just media playing tablet devices like the Fire & Nook Tablet then I can't see Android being much of a viable tablet platform in the fast coming post-PC era.

Android has so far been a flop in the actual Tablet PC side of the tablet market. Windows 8 on the otherhand? That could be the first real test of the high-end PC-replacement side of the Tablet market that Apple owns.

They are both comparing shipped in this report. Android will destroy anything that MS puts up on Windows 8. Have you seen there tablet numbers so far?

mckmas8808

Who's threatened? I'm just saying that the claim of 39% marketshare is laughable.

Windows 8 looks like it's going to be an awesome tablet OS. Like a truly awesome tablet OS. Will I personally be swayed by it? Probably not...but just like WebOS before it and Windows Phone now, I'll appreciate what they bring to the table in their own unique way.

Android tablets right now get next to no advertising and have next to no identity.

The Transformer Prime looks really awesome but if it wasn't for GAF I wouldn't even know the thing existed!

What does that have to do with anything? Is your argument that this specific 10 day period had a lob-sided fury of iPad activity for some reason that the data should be tossed or something? I admit the window could be bigger, but does the window of time really matter as long as it's not like an hour or a day? It's more than a week. A month would be better. A year would be even better...but 10 days isn't insignificant or something.

I'm just pointing out that at least in this chart we're looking at real data of consumer owned tablets...not shipped numbers.

So you are saying that you respect what MS is doing in the tablet and smart phone game way more than what Google is doing in the tablet and smart phone market?

SimleuqiR

In this thread:

image.php

image.php

with some

image.php

Follow with some more

image.php

image.php

with sprinkled

image.php

The only company that could in theory be a threat to the iPad is Amazon, but they need better hardware.

Don't think Google or any of their OEMs have anything as cohesive as iTunes. Google is starting to stitch their services together and it might take a while before this has any affect on anything Android or for that matter Android tablet related.

RubxQub

So you are saying that you respect what MS is doing in the tablet and smart phone game way more than what Google is doing in the tablet and smart phone market?

Easily, yes. Android is the "me too" OS in my eyes and why I'm harsher on it. I'm personally of the opinion that Google blatantly changed up their entire game plan with Android once the iPhone was released to mirror it as closely as they could and putting their own spin on it. Don't really want to get into here, though...but yeah.

Windows 8 is actually a unique vision and delivery as far as we've seen thus far...as is WP7. As was WebOS.

Unique Market based android devices surpassed 250 million last month. They are activating 700K unique(new) accounts per day and the rate is growing. (None of this counts Non-Google android devices).

I don't think that's a landslide in any sense of the word.

Now check how many of those unique accounts actually buy things. haHA!

Thats because much of the good stuff on android is already free.

Yeah that will bring the dev support in DROVES!

andycapps

Yeah that will bring the dev support in DROVES!

There was actually an interesting article about the people that made Temple Run and how they made significantly more money when they went free to play than when they'd charged $.99. That's not the case for everybody, but people are certainly making money on ad views in apps. I prefer to buy an app if it's something I'm going to use often. Sometimes devs don't even make that an option, and I would assume it's because they'd rather get the ad money.

RubxQub

There was actually an interesting article about the people that made Temple Run and how they made significantly more money when they went free to play than when they'd charged $.99. That's not the case for everybody, but people are certainly making money on ad views in apps. I prefer to buy an app if it's something I'm going to use often. Sometimes devs don't even make that an option, and I would assume it's because they'd rather get the ad money.

I'd have to read into it more, but Temple Run is Freemium if I'm not mistaken. They sell in game money to be used for upgrades. Not sure if that was the reason for the jump or what, but the Freemium model seems to work really well.

Oh I agree. But I'd posit that this was possible because of the healthy iOS gaming scene more than any other reason. Now that it has huge word of mouth, it's headed over to android.

Enjoy android people. Great game! I got my largely non-gamer partner hooked on it on my iPhone, and he cannot wait to have something he loves on his android phone.

EDIT: yes, Temple Run is a Freemium release, but wholly playable without buying anything IMO.

andycapps

I'd have to read into it more, but Temple Run is Freemium if I'm not mistaken. They sell in game money to be used for upgrades. Not sure if that was the reason for the jump or what, but the Freemium model seems to work really well.

Right, freemium is what I meant. Definitely seems to be the way to go if you have a good title like they did.

Oh I agree. But I'd posit that this was possible because of the healthy iOS gaming scene more than any other reason. Now that it has huge word of mouth, it's headed over to android.

Enjoy android people. Great game! I got my largely non-gamer partner hooked on it on my iPhone, and he cannot wait to have something he loves on his android phone.

EDIT: yes, Temple Run is a Freemium release, but wholly playable without buying anything IMO.

Yeah it's coming in February sometime. Would have liked for it sooner, but I think it's just a husband and wife team so I'm sure it's hard for them to keep one version up to date without adding another. I actually hate ads in my games so if there's an option to buy it for a dollar or two I always do.

Yeah it's coming in February sometime. Would have liked for it sooner, but I think it's just a husband and wife team so I'm sure it's hard for them to keep one version up to date without adding another. I actually hate ads in my games so if there's an option to buy it for a dollar or two I always do.

I agree. If I love a game I'd rather flush the ads and support the dev team. Sometimes I'll buy some DLC just to throw them $$ if the is no paid version. It's become the platform I do the majority of my gaming on in terms of time spent, so I have to support that ecosystem.

mckmas8808

Easily, yes. Android is the "me too" OS in my eyes and why I'm harsher on it. I'm personally of the opinion that Google blatantly changed up their entire game plan with Android once the iPhone was released to mirror it as closely as they could and putting their own spin on it. Don't really want to get into here, though...but yeah.

Windows 8 is actually a unique vision and delivery as far as we've seen thus far...as is WP7. As was WebOS.

Yeah I figured as much. While Android isn't no where near close to a me too OS. In your opinion why hasn't WP7 sold well?

RubxQub

Yeah I figured as much. While Android isn't no where near close to a me too OS. In your opinion why hasn't WP7 sold well?

Too late to the game as developers had largely picked iOS and Android to develop for by the time they got their act together. The Windows Phone experience is pretty sweet. I used to love my Zune back in the day so I appreciate the interface a bit...it's just that coming from Microsoft, they should have a major gaming franchise like Halo on their platform. Microsoft should be crushing it on the software side but they don't even show a desire to kickstart it themselves.

I agree with what others have said in the past that Windows Phone 7 is a stop-gap solution to keep some mindshare until W8 drops. MS themselves don't seem to care about WP7 enough to try and push it, so I'm guessing they're trying to make a splash with the next one.

Also think Microsoft in general is losing mindshare as a consumer brand and is being pushed into the "business" market.

andycapps

I agree. If I love a game I'd rather flush the ads and support the dev team. Sometimes I'll buy some DLC just to throw them $$ if the is no paid version. It's become the platform I do the majority of my gaming on in terms of time spent, so I have to support that ecosystem.

Agreed, though I spend a lot more time on my PS3 and 360 than I do anything else. For what cell phone games are, they're good. But they're no replacement, at least for me.

I know you didn't ask me, but I think that WP7 is a great OS. It's just too late, way too late. They've never really led in the market, RIM and Symbian had them by the balls. Then the iPhone came out followed by the G1 and the rest of the Android phones and MS just took too long to answer.

I also think there is a stigma leftover from people's past experiences with Windows Mobile (what a piece of crap that was..). I also think that since most of the big manufactures are putting their bleeding edge tech into Android phones, they're not getting that bit of hype either. Some people would say that WP7 doesn't need the bleeding tech and that it runs well on low or middle hardware. That may be, but people like to have the best thing out there.

JCX

I like my transformer, but I'd really like a Windows 8/WP7 tablet. The Metro UI with tiles would work well.

Agreed, though I spend a lot more time on my PS3 and 360 than I do anything else. For what cell phone games are, they're good. But they're no replacement, at least for me.

oh believe me, I love (worship) console gaming, it's just that I'm out more than home lately. The best gaming is the gaming you have with you, or some such. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom