• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather vs McGregor World Press Tour: July 11-14, 4 Cities, Open to the Public

BadAss2961

Like with the Eddie Alvarez fight. The number of people I saw on here saying Conor has no chance, he's never faced someone like this, this is an entirely new level, he's shook, etc.

They all just fucking vanished. The crow eating was too much to bear. Same thing will happen here.
Well I for one favored him pretty big over Alvarez. I thought it was easily the best matchup for him at 155 with Alvarez being another little dude.

Max_Po

Banned
Well I for one favored him pretty big over Alvarez. I thought it was easily the best matchup for him at 155 with Alvarez being another little dude.

I did not favor Conor, I thought if anyone would bear Conor it would be Alvarez with wrestling.... but I was in complete shock the way he got his ass beat in the fight.

BadAss2961

I did not favor Conor, I thought if anyone would bear Conor it would be Alvarez with wrestling.... but I was in complete shock the way he got his ass beat in the fight.
If he did that to Khabib, then i'd be shocked. I think Khabib would get Conor down and pummel him.

kinggroin

Banned
Like with the Eddie Alvarez fight. The number of people I saw on here saying Conor has no chance, he's never faced someone like this, this is an entirely new level, he's shook, etc.

They all just fucking vanished. The crow eating was too much to bear. Same thing will happen here.

While I fully believe this is nothing like an Eddie Alvarez situation (the gulf in striking discipline between him and Mayweather is canyon sized. May ain't jumping head first into a brawl), and Connor is going to lose to via death by a thousand cuts decision, there's always that chance. A stars align kind of chance.

But, to make it fun, why not bet avatars. You choose one for me, I choose one for you depending on who wins. Nothing perverted or against TOS. What ya say?

No matter what happens, thinking Conor will be humiliated is not and will never have been a stupid opinion leading up to the fight

I never said it was. I think Floyd is going to win by TKO in rd 7 or 8.

It's just the absolute certainty that some of these posts are written in, is the kind of stuff that if something crazy happens will look really funny in retrospect.

This is combat sports, insane upsets happen all the time. Floyd is very very likely to cruise and win this, but you never really know

VoxPop

How can someone believe that the fight isn't going to be a circus is beyond me.

This whole promoting has been the proof if anyone had doubts.

Any outcome will have been pre-decided. Floyd may let Connor have a few rounds to make people think he has a chance but that's it. Even if Floyd loses (which I think is impossible simply because of his hubris of being THE BEST) it's only because he loves money more than his legacy. A loss will mean another fight and more money.

If people think this will be a genuine fight where both fighters want to prove their technical skill, you bought into the hype.

Imagine this: putting Tyson or Ali against another fighter (even a great one) in a boxing match. If you think they would lose, you are delusional.

What is this shit. This isn't WWE.

The promotion was obviously that, promotion. I'm sure a lot of it was planned or whatnot but to say the fight will be pre-decided is absolute bullshit.

Conor is 100% going to come out looking for an upset and Floyd will be Floyd, timid or not. Floyd may love money but to tarnish his reputation by taking a dive against McGregor is the stupidest thing he can do. I'm not saying the fight will be competitive. Neither do most other people.

I don't know if they're gonna be trying to prove their "technical skill" or not but they're absolutely going to be looking for the finish (Conor at least). The hype for this fight existed for a good bit before it was even announced. Despite the skill disparity, people want to see it and something like this really is once in a lifetime.

BadAss2961

I never said it was. I think Floyd is going to win by TKO in rd 7 or 8.

It's just the absolute certainty that some of these posts are written in, is the kind of stuff that if something crazy happens will look really funny in retrospect.

This is combat sports, insane upsets happen all the time. Floyd is very very likely to cruise and win this, but you never really know
Well to be fair, people spoke with the same certainty when Floyd was fighting Berto (a guy that would wreck Conor in the boxing ring), and there was no one around to bat an eyelid about that.

Yeah, it's a fight and anything can happen, but the only reason there's hope here is because of star power and hype.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Virgil Hunter on FS1 just now:

"I think it's Slim to None... and Slim just left town."

That is quality.

Just came across this again, forgot how much of a completely different person Conor looked at 145: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDkDW11iQU

He should never think about going to 145 ever again. Its insane how much it fucking destroys his body to get there.

McGregor_before_and_after.0.jpg

Oscar

Just can't see Conor pulling this off if someone like Canelo (who's born and bred for this sport) couldn't manhandle Floyd despite the size difference.

Puncher's chance is still a chance though, can't 100% write the crazy bastard off. Would be hilarious, dude would be insufferable if he pulls the miracle off.

Doran902

Just can't see Conor pulling this off if someone like Canelo (who's born and bred for this sport) couldn't manhandle Floyd despite the size difference.

Puncher's chance is still a chance though, can't 100% write the crazy bastard off. Would be hilarious, dude would be insufferable if he pulls the miracle off.

Agreed, if by some miracle (and it would be a miracle) Conor wins he should just retire and spend the next 60 years talking shit haha.

So? Point is that dozens of people here thought he was going to get starched and embarrassed and when it came time to eat crow, they scurried away.
I don't think anyone thought he was going to get starched and embarrassed. He was still the favourite. Maybe some people were leaning towards Eddie after his performance against RDA, but no one thought Conor would get embarrassed.

Going back and listening to Nate Diaz and McGregor go at it and nothing will ever touch that. Pure gold ....this won't even reach half the entertainment value

commedieu

Banned
I just watched some boxer post his June sparring match with connor.. while I'm no expert. That doesn't really look too hot... dudes name is jesse vargas.

Oldnews?

Of course it will play a part he hasn't boxed in 2 years, so there will be definitely be a drop off in his overall game. Just how much of a drop off is the key I guess.

Looking at his training videos.. he's still pretty fast. I wish I was like that at 40.

(Eats breakfast burrito)

I just watched some boxer post his June sparring match with connor.. while I'm no expert. That doesn't really look too hot... dudes name is jesse vargas.

Oldnews?

Looking at his training videos.. he's still pretty fast. I wish I was like that at 40.

(Eats breakfast burrito)

Jessie Vargas sparring McGregor? Got a link?

gogogow

Oldnews?

Very old news and that's not Vargas. The video is from last year July 2016, before the Nate 2 rematch. So I highly doubt it was in preparation for Mayweather. The sparring partner was Chris van Heerden. Somehow some websites thinks it's from June 2017, as in a month ago.......

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
At 40..

Is may still anywhere near his prime? Does age have a factor here?

Of course his speed will be reduced but he's always kept in shape. He never cuts weight and fights around his weight. His reflexes used to be superlative, now, he's just fast hut it's the timing that has always remained impressive. He will be the faster man on fight night. I'm sure that floyd has kept himself in good shape anyways, with the anticipation that this fight might happen. So, even if we get the floyd close to when he fought Andre Berto, then it'll be a shutout.

Rumors circulating in boxing gym circles is that Conor McGregor got knocked out during sparring.

People said the exact same thing leading up to the Eddie fight. Literally identical. It is more than likely BS.

And even if it isn't fighters get KO'd in the gym much more commonly than you would think

People said the exact same thing leading up to the Eddie fight. Literally identical. It is more than likely BS.

And even if it isn't fighters get KO'd in the gym much more commonly than you would think

LOL

Did I say anything contrary? I have a heard a lot of rumors with a lot of them turning out true about other boxers that got knocked out during the training for a fight. Word travels fast in boxing gym circles.

This could very well be B.S., but I'm just reporting the rumors in the event they're true.

No need to be defensive.

LOL

Did I say anything contrary? I have a heard a lot of rumors with a lot of them turning out true about other boxers that got knocked out during the training for a fight. Word travels fast in boxing gym circles.

This could very well be B.S., but I'm just reporting the rumors in the event they're true.

No need to be defensive.

I'm not being defensive and you aren't the first to report it. This info has been public since the beginning of the day.

I'm just saying there isn't a whole lot we can draw from it without any actual proof and if it did happen it's not that crazy, happens a lot in boxing / MMA camps

Edit- though if his nose is broken that's bad news. Could give him some serious problems come fight night (not that he won't have plenty as is)

Double edit- the broken nose claim is from all the way back before the Eddie fight apparently

I'm not being defensive and you aren't the first to report it. This info has been public since the beginning of the day.

I'm just saying there isn't a whole lot we can draw from it without any actual proof and if it did happen it's not that crazy, happens a lot in boxing / MMA camps

Did I say it doesn't happen a lot in boxing/MMA?

That's where i'm saying you're getting defensive.

Rumors were flying that Chad Dawson got knocked out before his fight with Ward.

Word was that Margarito had a TERRIBLE training camp before his fight with Mosley.

Those are some I remember from off the top of my head.

Did I say it doesn't happen a lot in boxing/MMA?

That's where i'm saying you're getting defensive.

Rumors were flying that Chad Dawson got knocked out before his fight with Ward.

Word was that Margarito had a TERRIBLE training camp before his fight with Mosley.

Those are some I remember from off the top of my head.

I'm not being defensive. Your projecting. I'm saying it's not that crazy of information and the evidence for it is shaky or tenuous at best.

I mean are we forgetting I think Floyd is winning this fight by TKO?

I'm not being defensive. Your projecting. I'm saying it's not that crazy of information and the evidence for it is shaky or tenuous at best.

I mean are we forgetting I think Floyd is winning this fight by TKO?

My point is all i did was post a rumor, that's it. LOL

You're the one that's projecting over me merely posting a rumor and making certain to call just that.... A RUMOR.

I took exception to

As If I don't know that already.

My point is all i did was post a rumor, that's it. LOL

You're the one that's projecting over me merely posting a rumor and making certain to call just that.... A RUMOR.

Relax and I never had a problem with you posting said rumor, I just offered my perspective on it. That's all. We are both arguing about a mostly non issue here.

For the record Luke Thomas who has a ton of connections has said he's seen no evidence of it being true

Can't remember where, but I read that story about him being knocked out is fake. Just some sour ass boxers out there, putting out fake info.

Jessie Vargas says Conor McGregor was knocked out cold during his sparring session with Brandon Rios.

Very well could be fake, but just the fact it could be true even if it's only a 1 percent chance makes it too juicy not to post.

Relax and I never had a problem with you posting said rumor, I just offered my perspective on it. That's all. We are both arguing about a mostly non issue here.

For the record Luke Thomas who has a ton of connections has said he's seen no evidence of it being true

NO YOU FUCKIN' RELAX...

OK, yeah, you're right. LOL It's a non issue.

BadAss2961

My first thought was what the hell is Conor doing sparring Brandon Rios? Rios strikes me as the type of guy that would go hard on him just because...

kodecraft

I think Canelo would beat McGregor in a more entertaining, flashier fight then Floyd is going to do.

Canelos's counter combos and defense is sublime.

Top Bottom