• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCU Thor vs. MoS Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Already should be a thing now with the xmen version who is probably more powerful than marvel's version will be

Dude was like the flash, running around on walls tasting soup with time to spare to move some bullets

Nah the real Quicksilver would have been in and out and told everyone to call him when they had a real challenge.

IconGrist

What made Reeves superman so powerful besides turning back time and a meory eraser kiss? its been a while.

Lifted the sunken San Andreas Fault back in to place in order to keep it from cracking and throwing California into the sea.

Used his own body in place of a destroyed section of track to keep a train from derailing.

Flew so fast he spun the Earth backwards in order to reverse time then spun it forward again just to save one life. Granted, it was Lois but the point remains.

Created holographic illusions of himself to distract and disorient his enemies.

Froze an entire top layer of a lake then dropped it on top a burning facility to extinguish the fire and cool a very powerful acid.

Turned a tornado upside down.

Used heat vision to cut off the top of mountain then used it to plug an erupting volcano. Then went to the nearby village and used his breath to cool all the lava to prevent casualties.

Pushed the moon out of its orbit to block the sun in order to defeat a solar powered enemy made from his DNA.

Took a bullet at point blank range directly to the eye. Didn't so much as blink.

Stopped a plane from crash landing in the middle of a baseball field. Managed to slowly drop it without causing casualties.

With a piece of Kryptonite jabbed into his side, lifted an entire island made of kryptonite from the ocean and out of Earth's atmosphere.

-

I'm sure there is a couple I'm forgetting but that's off the top of my head.

Lifted the sunken San Andreas Fault back in to place in order to keep it from cracking and throwing California into the sea.

Used his own body in place of a destroyed section of track to keep a train from derailing.

Flew so fast he spun the Earth backwards in order to reverse time then spun it forward again just to save one life. Granted, it was Lois but the point remains.

Created holographic illusions of himself to distract and disorient his enemies.

Froze an entire top layer of a lake then dropped it on top a burning facility to extinguish the fire and cool a very powerful acid.

Turned a tornado upside down.

Used heat vision to cut off the top of mountain then used it to plug an erupting volcano. Then went to the nearby village and used his breath to cool all the lava to prevent casualties.

Pushed the moon out of its orbit to block the sun in order to defeat a solar powered enemy made from his DNA.

Took a bullet at point blank range directly to the eye. Didn't so much as blink.

Stopped a plane from crash landing in the middle of a baseball field. Managed to slowly drop it without causing casualties.

With a piece of Kryptonite jabbed into his side, lifted an entire island made of kryptonite from the ocean and out of Earth's atmosphere.

-

I'm sure there is a couple I'm forgetting but that's off the top of my head.

Repaired the Great Wall of China with his eyes.

You know, if the rumors of Disney buying Time Warner are true, we might actually have an answer to this question someday. OMGGGGGGGG!

MisterHero

MoS is not just one Superman. He has the power of God with him.

manofsteel_reevemaybembpht.gif

also you just can't beat the Jesus allegory. Also he is Jesus, Moses, Noah, Samson and some other biblical figures rolled into one

Renekton

It is all Batman all the time.

I can tell you right now, as dumb as it may sound, if Batman fights and beats Superman in Batman v Superman I will wait for the $7 Walmart copy of the rest of the DCCU movies.
You can count on it. The Batman>all fable is an unstoppable train of a meme, he's just a really hot property among casual fans right now.

People even believe Batman defeated the JLA in Tower of Babel (when he never actually executed the plans, and that Batman got the insight by working with them closely in the first place).

PsychBat!

Banned
While I love Marvel and I consider myself to be a Marvel fanboy, I see so many other threads in other forums that give the edge to DC characters MOST of the time and I accept it. There are a few exceptions, like Thanos vs Darkseid and Spider-Man vs Batman.

Just google Blue Marvel vs Superman, it's going to be Superman A LOT of the time and anyone responding differently is proven wrong or brushed off (mainly the latter).

JdFoX187

Banned
and yet a simple Sparrow Missile knocked her right the fuck out. I'm not so sure Thor in any universe is that weak.

She was knocked out by the sensory overload. Superman had already damaged her helmet and when that hit, it finished off the job. She'd tank it, otherwise.

and yet a simple Sparrow Missile knocked her right the fuck out. I'm not so sure Thor in any universe is that weak.

I thought that her helmet broke, causing her to lose her Krypton atmosphere powers or whatever?

Yeah look at her beat all those Asgardians.

Nothing suggest that MCU Asgardians are that quick.

Although now that I think about it, I don't think that she could fly in MOS. So, I guess that's something.

I think MoS superman wins. movie thor is just weak... especially compared to the comics. Superman is still ridiculously fast.

....Question

Jane Foster or Lois Lane? :D

Based off of the movies, Lois. Jane just falls into that so-very sexist and tired "woman who falls in love with a man and that man becomes her entire life" cliche. With Lois we saw a very strong character that does get really focused on Clark, but more because he's an alien than anything. When it's all said and done she was done with him but Zod appearing made the two meet again. At that point you do get the sexist "she only needs the male protagonist" role but even then it's pulled off in a way that doesn't automatically make you roll your eyes.

PsychBat!

Banned
This thread again.

I'll raise you another one. MoS Superman would wreck the movie Avengers alone.

Come at me.
Better get ready. I think GAF is the only forum that is pro-Marvel. Not without good reason either. Might as well try your luck at comicvine.

sirap

This thread again.

I'll raise you another one. MoS Superman would wreck the movie Avengers alone.

Come at me.

I can dig it.

Hulk would probably be the only one to give Cavillman problems, but he can't fly and is much slower than the Kryptonian.

guek

Banned
Made some Thor gifs for y'all

aqzEQq6.gif

HZ6ud1t.gif

RhiGhRe.gif

JtVamkD.gif

Y938WE6.gif

Those are probably the best from Dark World in terms of feats of strength. I can make some from MoS if people have any requests for specific moments. I'm not that great at making gifs yet but it's better than nothing.

We'll probably get a Flash vs Quicksilver thread by the time of Avengers 2.

Flash vs. Quicksilver is not even a fair fight if going by comic book versions. It is so one sided in favor of Flash it isnt even funny.

Now, once the Flash tv series gets going for a bit and we have some feats of speed to use as a comparison between live action Flash and live action Quicksilver, then it will probably be closer. At least until season 2 of Flash, which he will probably be into full on crazy power town.

MoS is not just one Superman. He has the power of God with him.

manofsteel_reevemaybembpht.gif

also you just can't beat the Jesus allegory. Also he is Jesus, Moses, Noah, Samson and some other biblical figures rolled into one

Back in the day, PC supes actually got to talk to frigging Yahweh.

And the Presence talked to him again when in an effort to save Supergirl, he broke through the barrier of infinity and was moving so fast he almost burst through to (I assume) the Silver City. Yahweh called the Spectre out to stop him

Calamari41

41 > 38
To the people talking about how Thor had trouble with Malekith and Kurse as evidence of his weakness: how do you even know that those two aren't really fucking powerful? I mean, wasn't Malekith powered by an infinity gem in those gifs posted above? To me, the fact that he was trading blows and basically on equal footing during the fight is evidence that Thor is pretty damn powerful.

He was the last in the line of fire, he also has a history of being a tank. He went with his training. Irrespective of their powers, their armor withstood it all, so specializing as a tank, his training may have been not to fear kinetic weapons.
Occam's razor, stop making up things we know nothing about, it's irrelevant anyway, he got blasted like a bitch and screamed while doing it.

It's ignored because it's even more idiotic. It happens off screen and the next time we see him he's standing and perfectly fine. There's no way to gauge how long or why he wasn't out ASAP. You don't know if there was an off-screen rescue, an effort to limit collapse, gathering his thoughts on what the next move should be, or not wanting to scare the bejeezus out of the incoming troops. You can't prove the time out was a KO.

Cept we can because of continuity, heck the scene is so much in continuity that you can see the locomotive in the air when the missile is fired that takes out faora. Sadly I can't find any footage of that part specifically, but supes is inside for a full 54 seconds, I guess he was just sitting there, since we can't make any assumptions.
Assumptions like him being inside for 54 seconds of continuity.

Or the assumption that he has no problem leaving the world killing aliens outside to do whatever they want while he "gathers his thoughts" or "struggles to prevent a collapse of an already completely wrecked building".

Also:
http://youtu.be/uN0kxT971Kw
2:16 supes get laid the fuck out and lies motionless till 2:32 when faora flips him over.
I guess he spent those 16 seconds doing some heroics offscreen before lying back down.

You and I have very different definitions of the word "scream". Either that or we watched different movies. Did you watch a dub or something?

I've seen the movie way too many times and could do a play by play by heart of it if I needed to
http://youtu.be/uN0kxT971Kw
0:23, he gets shot and screams while being completely ragdolled all the way till he hits the post, and then takes nearly 15 seconds to get back up

guek

Banned
Strength wise, I think MCU Thor can hang with MoS Clark, at least somewhere in the same ballpark. Thor's battle speed though is so much slower. He does have the lightning though and that might give him a bit more range and spacing ability. Still give it to Supes in the end though.

PsychBat!

Banned
Has a DC character EVER won in a comics debate thread on gaf?
Yes, there was a Flash thread a couple of months ago and someone asked if there was anyone in the Marvel universe that was faster than the Flash and some other person replied with Quicksilver.

Quicksilver isn't even close to the Flash it's not even funny.

TheYanger

Movie versions Superman clearly wins I feel like.

The pages from JLA/Avengers? Yeah, canon in any sense or not give me a break, Superman is NOT going to lose in a crossover, period. Either way it's irrelevent to the 'Thor is super strong" argument since it's basically just thor at a specific point in time. What does it have to do with King Thor for instance? Absolutely nothing. Now scuse me while I read the hardcover and nerdgasm over it all again.

Superman's cape is part of his identity. And in MoS, it was glorious.

Thor only wears his cape when it is convenient for MCU writers.

Hmmmmmm..... hmmm hmmm

I can't disagree with this, but I am irrationally drawn towards Thor's flowing, glorious, red cape. But you're right. Superman's cape is more integral to his identity's than Thor's.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Indeed. People often mistake magic as a weakness for Superman, it's not. He just isn't invulnerable to it. Kryptonite is a weakness, it doesn't just strip Superman of his powers and make him human..it makes him sick and lethargic.

Kingdom Come isn't canon, but that version of Superman tanked Shazam's thunder multiple times and still managed to go on. Granted, he was at peak strength from the years spent absorbing the sun's radiation.

Saying he's vulnerable to magic means is usual durability granted by his solar aura doesn't come into play. So he's getting hit by an enchanted hammer forged from the core of a neutron star, and it's likely to break his jaw. Especially when he's taking hits from Thor who is physically capable of smashing a planet.

It's not a massive advantage, (still though a random magic sword could cut Supes while a standard one wouldn't do anything, that is a vulnerability no matter how you wish to parse it) but it stacks up given the power sets.

DaveH

Occam's razor, stop making up things we know nothing about, it's irrelevant anyway, he got blasted like a bitch and screamed while doing it.
If it was a low showing, he doesn't get up without issue. No one else interprets that way because its idiotic. Your wording just makes you an obvious tool.

Cept we can because of continuity, heck the scene is so much in continuity that you can see the locomotive in the air when the missile is fired that takes out faora.
Cept you can't read. He's off screen. One half of the threat, Faora, is out. Superman has functional X-Ray vision and super-hearing and the Kryptonians are retreating. Rookie Superman has to decide if there's anything to be done. If they're retreating, what interest does he have in bursting forth, pounding his chest, and inviting two more Kryptonians and a shuttle with air superiority over the military to the fight?

You have no idea how long he was out due to the train.

You're absolutely ridiculous if you think posting the fight supports your points.

We already know that Kryptonians have the potential to KO each other. That's the jeopardy of the fight. You're a fool if you think an object thrown by an individual hits with more force than the individual is capable of striking with.

You don't even have a point anymore.

DaveH

Saying he's vulnerable to magic means is usual durability granted by his solar aura doesn't come into play.
ONLY if the nature of the magic specifically circumvents durability. Superman is as susceptible to a "Turn into a bunny" spell as Hulk is. Both are susceptible to weapons enhanced to "cut anything." But Superman isn't more susceptible to a strike from Harry Potter's broom, just because it is enchanted to fly (no aspect of its magical nature is to make it strike harder).

The latter perspective is that Superman is allergic to magic. Your interpretation isn't quite as bad, but it is at least that [just] his invulnerability is allergic to magic. This view can't make sense because it either requires a scientifically based character's power set to have some form of universal interaction or awareness or special sensitivity to ALL magics irrespective of their nature or rules. So making out with Wonder Woman should make him break out into hives (if just allergic). Or his powers have to somehow "know" that he's being struck with a broom meant for flying rather than just an ordinary broom.

Conversely, the foundations of all magic have to be unified and specifically target and circumvent Kryptonian invulnerability. So even when casting an enchantment to make a broom fly, there's a secret fine print in the spell saying, "Oh, and if you happen upon a Kryptonian soaked in a yellow sun, you will defy his invulnerability."

Rather, it makes much more sense that Superman is simply subject to physical laws (to the extent that his powers are likewise permissible in his world's physics) and to any breakages of those laws as well. A weapon enchanted to hit harder than physics allows, cut better than physics allows, etc. would have that impact upon him... but with his relevant powers intact. Summoning, say, a piano overhead... would defy physics, but the strike would fall completely within the boundaries of physics and be harmless to Superman, despite being summoned magically.

Attacks that are specifically magical in nature muddy the water. Magic that creates a fireball, for example, if done in a way that physics takes over after its creation, would be harmless to Superman... but if it included aspects of "burn when you shouldn't otherwise be able to burn" that kind of aspect would circumvent the physics of Superman.

This allows consistency for the physical rules of Superman AND for magic. While magic defies natural rules, it doesn't mean that it doesn't have rules of its own. You can't simply cast a spell to enchant a broomstick to fly, then decide that snapping such broom in two will cause the death of Voldemort. Rather, everything interacts with the broom as it was enchanted to do. Likewise, Superman interacts with magic as the magic is meant to do... rather than be some special exception to all magics that either his powers or magic somehow recognize.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not after he snapped a dudes neck and killed a IHOP & 7 11.

Please, the hammers worthiness is chosen by Odin.

Odin is a barbaric, genocidal and very crusty old man who's powerfully racist against the elves and kidnapped a Frost Giants son. He'd welcome Superman into the family in a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom