• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mecha titles you want to be featured in a Super Robot Wars game

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Let's assume for a moment that Super Robot Wars Omega doesn't count (it's a mobile gacha game and it features pretty much everything from Doraemon to Godzilla).

Anyway, to those who aren't in the know - Super Robot Wars is a Japanese SRPG game where you control units around the map to defeat enemies or do objectives in a turn-based battle, featuring popular and obscure mecha franchises. It has series from Mobile Suit Gundam to Heroman. It eventually featured "original generation" (basically publisher-owned) mecha in order to have a central character of sorts, but they still tie in various stories in various shows (most of the time - some franchises ended up as "units only" with no story whatsoever, like Virtua-On). They're also not limited to anime - as they have manga only, visual novel only, and even video game only mecha aboard their series!

But as much as many games they have churned, they haven't scratched that many mecha from those sources, in spite of them constantly bringing Seed Destiny, Dancouga Nova, Macross F and Gundam 00! So what mecha titles do you want to see in the game?

For me personally, I want to see these three.

Magic Knight Rayearth

5GZOfGG.jpg

Granted, MKR's magic guardian beasts don't really appear until halfway through of the first season (I think almost near the end), but they're hype as fuck and honestly the game needs more "out of there" mecha like magical types. And the whole story becomes really something fitting to SRW when they touch the second season.

J-Decker

1fbwDcm.jpg

Sucks people only know GaoGaiGar for the Brave series. J-Decker is pretty cool with its police motif (I don't think we had a police-themed SRW unit except maybe for Patlabor) and the cast is lovable. And we need more sentient mecha.

Digimon Xros Wars

NMTrdNe.png

Like I said in MKR, I want "out of there" mecha stuff, and honestly this show has it too. The whole of Shoutmon X's attacks pretty much screams super robot and the whole "fight an evil army" screams a scenario in SRW.

There was a mecha-themed Digimon?

I want Vision of Escaflowne back in SRW. It's only appeared in a title on the Wonder Swan.

Yeah, the main problem with SRW games is that they keep featuring certain franchises over and over again while neglecting the other ones who rarely appear in the games.

ID-0

8e7a9d57085e4c407ab5dd8d663f95f43a1ec03f.jpg

It had some cool mechs, the story could be improved and the remix for the opening would be great.

Gundam Reconguista in G

GUNDAM-RECONGUISTA-IN-G-banner-600x350.jpg

G-Self is a top 3 Gundam design and without Tomino the characters can actually talk with each other.

Regalia The Three Sacred Stars

80790l.jpg

Mech design is great and the show had hand drawn fights so it deserves more recognition.

SkyOdin

Majestic Prince feels overdue. It was the best mech series of its season, and has an awesome team of cool mechs piloted by likable characters.

Zegapain is another great series with some interesting mecha with a couple unique gimmicks. It would fit in perfectly alongside Gundam OO too.

If I had to list a dream series to get in though, it would have to be Zone of the Enders. Jehuty would be amazing.

Along those same lines, Xenogears, Xenosaga, or Xenoblade Chronicles X would be wonderful choices for SRW that will probably never happen.

I want to be coy and say add a Metal Gear, but I don't think any of them, even the popular REX and RAY, have an iconic attack or combination attack that'll separate them from the rest.

Never mind trying to mix a Metal Gear story in with other franchises.

Boss Doggie

Majestic Prince feels overdue. It was the best mech series of its season, and has an awesome team of cool mechs piloted by likable characters.

Zegapain is another great series with some interesting mecha with a couple unique gimmicks. It would fit in perfectly alongside Gundam OO too.

If I had to list a dream series to get in though, it would have to be Zone of the Enders. Jehuty would be amazing.

Along those same lines, Xenogears, Xenosaga, or Xenoblade Chronicles X would be wonderful choices for SRW that will probably never happen.
Ah right, ZotE would be seamless to integrate in SRW.

There was a mecha-themed Digimon?
There are many mecha digimon, but Shoutmon X series is the mecha-themed Digimon.

Vulcans. Chest beams. Chest boomerangs. Laser sword. Laser sword projectile slices. Megaton punches.

massoluk

Banned
I want them to do magical/mystical robot version.

Granzort
Rayearth
Eiyuden Wataru
Knight &Magic
Escaflowne
Broken Blade
Reideen

Strings

Escaflowne
Gankutsuou (there were some mechs in it towards the end :p)
Concrete Revolutio (again, not a mecha show, but had some mechs)
Valvrave
Kuromukuro
Blue Gender
Argento Soma

Boss Doggie

Heroman. It may not have been a particularly good show but by god it was AMERICA as hell and it could lend itself to SRW pretty well.
Heroman was in the first 3ds srw
Escaflowne
Gankutsuou (there were some mechs in it towards the end :p)
Concrete Revolutio (again, not a mecha show, but had some mechs)
Valvrave
Kuromukuro
Blue Gender
Argento Soma
Valvrave was in a DS srw I think

Rolling Start

Neo Member
Valvrave would be great even if was only the units.

Actually, given the plot turns that happen, maybe it'd be best to only include the robots.

kubricks

The Five Star Stories (ファイブスター)

It had a brief entry in SRW4 but that's not enough!
hqdefault.jpg

5f46f3501ecdcfd385153ca014723533.jpg

If we're going with odd picks there's stuff like Asura Cryin', Idolmaster Xenoglossia, maybe even Accel Word?

OP's pick of X-ros War would be great because of the We Are Xros Heart remix. Sakura Wars would be cool too and it got in a mobile game recently.

squall23

J-Decker

1fbwDcm.jpg

Sucks people only know GaoGaiGar for the Brave series. J-Decker is pretty cool with its police motif (I don't think we had a police-themed SRW unit except maybe for Patlabor) and the cast is lovable. And we need more sentient mecha.

Digimon Xros Wars

NMTrdNe.png

Like I said in MKR, I want "out of there" mecha stuff, and honestly this show has it too. The whole of Shoutmon X's attacks pretty much screams super robot and the whole "fight an evil army" screams a scenario in SRW.
You'll get Digimon once Sugita convinces Bamco to put in Dennou Boukenki Webdiver. It there is one show that introduces the concept of mechas in a cyber/digital world, it has to be Webdiver.

Also, I wouldn't want to see J-Decker by itself. It would be better if it was paired alongside Patlabor.
I want them to do magical/mystical robot version.

Granzort
Rayearth
Eiyuden Wataru
Knight &Magic
Escaflowne
Broken Blade
Reideen
That's what SRW NEO was. And it was a glorious game.

Lord of Lords Ryu Knight is top tier fantasy mecha.

Captain Earth.

Specifically, I want it as one of those shows that gets fixed by its inclusion into the franchise. It was a visually gorgeous show to watch, but beyond its opening episodes its ability to tell a clear story instead of just cryptically allude to everything was kinda scattershot. Plus the fights are too often utterly one sided until the final turnaround, a trait inherited from its spiritual successor in Star Driver - another series I want in a mainline game, possibly exploring the plot implied by the first five minutes of the movie since it's most viable - which is easily rectified by SRW's format. Treat the Planetary Gears as massive boss characters who can appear at the worst possible times while fighting other enemies in high orbit. Preventing them from crossing the map - and thus reaching Earth - is an obvious objective, as is killing them in a certain number of turns when on Earth to prevent them taking up their full form.

Also Tetsujin 28. Not the 80s remake, but either the full on classic, or the 2004 reimagining with at least is a modern equivalent visually.

Boss Doggie

If we're going with odd picks there's stuff like Asura Cryin', Idolmaster Xenoglossia, maybe even Accel Word?

OP's pick of X-ros War would be great because of the We Are Xros Heart remix. Sakura Wars would be cool too and it got in a mobile game recently.

Is it true that the maker of Sakura Wars hate SRW that he doesn't them to be featured there? Ironically the characters did meet up with SRW characters in PxZ.

You'll get Digimon once Sugita convinces Bamco to put in Dennou Boukenki Webdiver. It there is one show that introduces the concept of mechas in a cyber/digital world, it has to be Webdiver.

Also, I wouldn't want to see J-Decker by itself. It would be better if it was paired alongside Patlabor.
That's what SRW NEO was. And it was a glorious game.

Lord of Lords Ryu Knight is top tier fantasy mecha.

Patlabor was already apparently in SRW but it was in a crappy one.

Bry0

Battletech, the one true western mech franchise.
Now that LAMS are all but dead it’s just big weapons with unrealistic ranges and a lot of destruction. It would be fun to see how the battletech imagining of what a mech would be like would compare in a fight to something like gundam.

KhBpesD

Top Bottom