• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announced for 2018 (Designed for VR)

Hype online.

Really hope this goes well. MWO has some great combat, but the publisher troubles and F2P model meant it was essentially stuck in a Catch 22 of having to charge silly money for little bits of content that never raised enough funding to develop enough content to make the purchases worthwhile.
I stopped playing when they nerfed the gamecurrency rewards and made expensive microtransactions the only real way to earn new mechs.
I hope they make this a full price game (maybe with traditional expansion packs) and avoid any microtransactions.

Lime

That said, I doubt it's coming to consoles, which sucks, because there would be enough revenue there to keep the series going for a while longer.

The compromise in controls, simulation aspects, graphics, and all the other deficiencies a console version would entail, is way too big in contrast with the amount of revenue created.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Need this in VR now!

Was just about to say the same.

Let's not get too high up on that horse, I used to dominate with a MS Sidewinder 3D Pro and two other keys: O and F(Flush, not friendly)

You really don't need to use all of those, some are just mirrors of stuff you could do in the pre-game setup anyway, like grouping. You could get away with every basic key needed on a controller these days, as they have ~30 separate button combinations if you include modifiers (L1/R1+face buttons, L1+R1+Face, etc).

That said, I doubt it's coming to consoles, which sucks, because there would be enough revenue there to keep the series going for a while longer.

I suppose combining VR with KB+M would be much more problematic than just finding suitable mapping for controls. On the other hand, they didn't say anything about making it VR, so...

Buy yeah, Mechwarrior 2 is one of my all time favorite games. I want this bad!

Nikodemos

It's the old CH setup. It used the game port, which I can still get an adapter for. But the old throttle programmed through the keyboard port, which MS disallowed somewhere along the way.
A gaming peripheral which connected to the PS/2 port? Was it permanent during gameplay or just for set-up purposes?

Lime

I suppose combining VR with KB+M would be much more problematic than just finding suitable mapping for controls. On the other hand, they didn't say anything about making it VR, so...

Elite Dangerous made it work with a HOTAS setup. Of course such controls would still rely on blind memory controls.

rpg_fan

A gaming peripheral which connected to the PS/2 port? Was it permanent during gameplay or just for set-up purposes?

Permanent, I suppose. Never actually tried it not plugged in. You used to be able to output over they keyboard port, and the throttle programmed that way. I had a Jane's Combatstick with it, so yeah.... long time ago :)

Edit: Yeah, it had to be hooked up, duh. The throttle output to the keyboard port as well.

bender

What time is it?
I played so much MW3 online. While MW4 improved the net code greatly, I wasn't a fan of the colored upgrade slots as it really limited build types. That's the only holding my excitement back.

Lime

I played so much MW3 online. While MW4 improved the net code greatly, I wasn't a fan of the colored upgrade slots as it really limited build types. That's the only holding my excitement back.

Eh, I much preferred MW4's hard points to in order to avoid laser-boating in MW3.

If you've played MW:O you know they will continue with hard points

bender

What time is it?
Eh, I much preferred MW4's hard points to in order to avoid laser-boating in MW3.

Haven't but that's disappointing. We use to bid weapon load outs pre-match along with weight, map, time of day and something else I'm forgetting so you could ban lasers in clan matches. There was just a lot more build variety online in MW3 than you found in MW4. Though some of that has to be attributed to dial-up and lag which made speed a more important factor in MW3. More speed meant a larger "lag shield".

Daingurse

Hopefully better than MechWarrior Online, which I had fun with. Never really played any Mechwarrior games, but I did play MechAssault lol. I never had PCs that could run them when I was kid, but I've always found the games to be cool as hell after watching MW4 played on Arena on G4tv lol. I will play this.

Nikodemos

I loved hard points in MW4 (and indirectly MC2). Made each individual Mech feel distinctive (well, apart from the Omnis).
Never liked the weight system: felt like a verbatim copy of the P&P system, which I always consider a cardinal sin in the case of P&P-inspired videogames.

Woorloog

Banned
Considering this is done by PGI, i'm not hopeful at all.

MWO's core combat is somehow pretty good but every single other design decision they've made is crap. They have no vision nor do they have idea what they're really doing. Their game lacks coherency.

And the same team would be making a single player game? LOL

It is gonna be terrible, or a 70-75 point "it is okay" game at most.

Sigh. If it were anyone else making MW5, i'd be happy.

Lime

Considering this is done by PGI, i'm not hopeful at all.

MWO's core combat is somehow pretty good but every single other design decision they've made is crap. They have no vision nor do they have idea what they're really doing. Their game lacks coherency.

And the same team would be making a single player game? LOL

It is gonna be terrible, or a 70-75 point "it is okay" game at most.

Sigh. If it were anyone else making MW5, i'd be happy.

Supposedly it's a separate team at PGI and they also hired a new game director, according to one person who was at Mechcon and talked to him.

Woorloog

Banned
Supposedly it's a separate team at PGI and they also hired a new game director, according to one person who was at Mechcon and talked to him.

Still PGI...
Wonder if they'll follow the new trend of microtransactions in single player games. I won't be surprised at all if they do.

Justinh

Oh my God.

Oh my GOD!

I thought the series was just... over after that Online game. This is so exciting for me!

Lime

For those who don't know, the startup sequence in the video is the voice actor who did the same voice in Mechwarrior 2 ("Betty")

Mechwa...

33-rod-stewart-crying-best-sports-gifs-of-2012.gif

Fifteen years... fifteen long, barren years.

I'm so happy...

Y4Nduxc.gif

td9vxwl.gif

3015 is an interesting choice in timeline.
Still in the third succession war, but not a lot happening at that time.
Unless you count Wolfs' Dragoons clearing up the Marik line of succession.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Been long enough! God knows how much time I spent in 'Mech 2...cautiously optimistic for now. I couldn't get into MW:O sadly.

Mupod

Of course they will reuse assets.
MWO's modernized mech re-designs are borderline canon at this point, they just look so good that they would be mad not to use them. I'm glad Harebrained picked them up too.

Also MWO's gameplay is good if you leave the F2P and Balance (Clan mech dominance) issues aside. Both things that can be easily eliminated in a normal buy to play single player game. Also them switching to Unreal is good news from a technical perspective (they struggle with CryEngine). And PGI trying to pull of MWO5 is 50000 times preferable to having no new Single Player MechWarrior game for another decade.

ALSO GIVE ME MY CAT, STALKER AND KING CRAB, I need those mechs! Pleaaaaase!

Having played the new, narrated MWO tutorial, I'm pretty sure they can pull that off.

Iglesias' redesigns are the best thing about MWO. And yeah, years of focusing on making money off selling mechs instead of making a decent game resulted in a big enough roster to actually make a proper Mechwarrior singleplayer. You couldn't really do that with the handful of mechs the game launched with.

Woorloog

Banned
3015 is an interesting choice in timeline.
Still in the third succession war, but not a lot happening at that time.
Unless you count Wolfs' Dragoons clearing up the Marik line of succession.

Not much happening but that doesn't really matter. Here's what i complained about Harebrained Scheme's BattleTech game:

[Complaint about HBS' setting and fanon removed as irrelevant]

This is one time when i really would prefer a bare-bones story:
"It is the closing years of the Third Succession War. You lead a newly founded mercenary unit and the Great Houses are eager to hire you, wanting to bolster their forces in any way they can."
And then give the player a selection of contracts, some kind of loyalty system and time limit of 5 years (3020 to 3025) and challenge them to do best they can. Individual campaigns the player takes part can have story beats (put down a rebellion at A; help CapCon at place B where the player is then offered an option to betray Cappies; defend a place from a raid for reasons x and y; etc.) but there needs to be no overarching story.

And:
I'm not a Periphery fan in anyway. And care even less of a fan of what i regard as fanon. So, yeah, boring.
Taking part in the Third Succession War even without a story impact? Not boring, fun.
I'd prefer a more "arcade" game, where i compete against myself, doing better merc unit, doing missions better, getting better high score, more C-bills... As it is, it seems the game is more about the story.

I never played original Mercs but MW4Mercs is close to what i like. There is some story but not much, mostly the story is just frame-work and an excuse to be a merc. Sure, it allows one to take part in big, canonical events (the Battle of Hesperus II, attack on Tharkad) but those are presented in a way that doesn't really cause problems.
(Alternatively i'd like what MW4 Vengeance is, a local game in some less important place. That can have a more complex story but since it is local, its geopolitical effect would be minor.)

[Stuff about HBS changes/additions and problems they cause with canon]

A single merc unit doing stuff during the late Third Succession War without dealing with a new nation wouldn't really affect things, since it is pretty clear the player won't be creating a regiment-size unit like the Wolf's Dragoon but far more typical company or a reinforced company.

I think 3015 is pretty good setting, especially if done right. Make interesting local stories where the player takes part, even if the stories don't affect canon setting/situation (eg you take a planet but later learn it was taken back, like happens with 3rd SW usually).

But it is PGI so i'm really, really doubtful.

There's no way they can uind this unless they have a publisher behind it. With all the issues they've had with MWO I'm wondering about their pipeline's ability to churn out a AAA SP.

Mupod

There's no way they can find this unless they have a publisher being it. With all the issues they've had with MWO I'm wondering about their pipeline's ability to churn out a AAA SP.

I mean, I don't know if MWO started the concept of 'founder' preorder packages but I never saw them before that game. Of course they're going to crowdfund, the question is if there's anybody left to get money from after years of 500 dollar golden Mad Cats and other nonsense.

Orayn

Re: Consoles

As far as I know, Piranha is in the same situation as they were when that MechWarrior reboot footage first surfaced. Because Microsoft bought FASA and licenses out its IPs through other companies, any console release would probably be limited to Xbox One. With a relatively niche IP like MechWarrior, they might not even bother.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope it continues the tradition of having an absolutely badass CG intro. Only this time it's rendered in real time with them sexy UE4 graphics

JMY86

Holy guacamole! This is fantastic news. I played the shit out of the Mechwarrior games. I will definitely be following this...

MechaX

And here I thought I was still drunk and couldn't read Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries or Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries properly.

Holy fuck, Mechwarrior is coming back?!

... Can I still play as a Marauder, or is that one completely gone?

Woorloog

Banned
And here I thought I was still drunk and couldn't read Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries or Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries properly.

Holy fuck, Mechwarrior is coming back?!

... Can I still play as a Marauder, or is that one completely gone?

MWO has Marauder. So will this one, most likely.

Oh... and take a look at Sarna.net's Marauder article. Specifically the picture. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder

EDIT In case someone didn't know, tabletop BattleTech has its classics back. Marauder, Warhammer, Wolverine... you name it. Not all have new art yet but they will get it. (Doesn't extend to Clan IIC designs though, not yet at least.)
Also miniatures.

Woorloog

Banned
MW3015 never managed to get any funding, so I wouldn't ever say that it was cancelled.

Ironically it was pitched too early. A year or two later and they could have tried Kickstarter. Though as long as that Infinite Games publisher was in the mess, i doubt a KS product would have been any good. MWO got improved after PGI alone got handle on things (though they lack vision and understanding to really elevate the experience above mediocre).

rpg_fan

EDIT In case someone didn't know, tabletop BattleTech has its classics back. Marauder, Warhammer, Wolverine... you name it. Not all have new art yet but they will get it. (Doesn't extend to Clan IIC designs though, not yet at least.)
Also miniatures.

Did they redraw all the models or did they finally get an agreement with Harmony Gold?

Top Bottom