• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Zaptruder

Banned
This game will be amazing with an occulus rift. Or maybe not; the HUD will probably be pretty sub par with that thing on... but goddamn wouldn't it be cool to go full VR with this?

Woorloog

Banned
It sounds like you are not used to tinkering with PCs or using command lines. Setting up Dosbox is incredibly easy (imo), but if you really want to avoid playing MW2, watch the intros:

I am used to tinkering with stuff. Too much so.
What i hate is that i constantly have to tweak stuff to get them work right.
Launch this game with a command line to make it work. Tweak registery to make that work. Tinker one week with config settings before sound works. Add gazillion lines and modify a bunch of others to make this mod work.
FUCK THAT. I really, really prefer consoles for gaming.
Also generally hate using text based input system of DOSBox, can't you make a DOS emulator that doesn't have to act just like the original DOS too, ie graphic user interface.
EDIT it doesn't help DOSBox treats my keyboard as if it were US keyboard when it is not.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Haha, people are breaking the NDA left and right on the MWO forums. It does get moderated, but if you just hang around you see a lot before it's removed.

Woorloog

Banned
Haha, people are breaking the NDA left and right on the MWO forums. It does get moderated, but if you just hang around you see a lot before it's removed.

Whoah, gotta go read 'em.

Piranha probably should drop the NDA very soon, people are clearly too exited.

EDIT dear lord... Reading the forums, i realized something after a LRM thread: LRM5 weights only 2 tons and takes one crit space. LRM20 weights 10 tons and takes 5 spaces. So... 5xLRM5=25damage for the same weight and space. Produces more heat though.
EDIT 2 and some player just shot down my hopes by mentioning the Hardpoint system. Of course. Forgot that. Ah, well, still going to run missile boats.

Orayn

Whoah, gotta go read 'em.

Piranha probably should drop the NDA very soon, people are clearly too exited.

EDIT dear lord... Reading the forums, i realized something after a LRM thread: LRM5 weights only 2 tons and takes one crit space. LRM20 weights 10 tons and takes 5 spaces. So... 5xLRM5=25damage for the same weight and space. Produces more heat though.
EDIT 2 and some player just shot down my hopes by mentioning the Hardpoint system. Of course. Forgot that. Ah, well, still going to run missile boats.

Hardpoints were actually explained in non-NDA breaking context.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/04/193-dev-blog-6-mechlab

Basically, you're working against three limits when equipping your 'Mech:

1. Weight, the obvious one. Your chassis has a weight limit and every player-chosen part counts against it.

2. Slots. There's a certain amount of physical space on each body part, and all equipment takes up slots.

3. Hardpoints. Body parts have limits as to which types of weapons can be equipped to them. An arm might have two energy hardpoints, or one ballistic, etc.

Overall, it's like a less rigid version of MechWarrior 4, since you've still got "color-coded" hardpoints, but you're counting against total space on the body part rather than on a per-hardpoint basis.

Ebris

Ok, I added you guys finally haha. Time for some FUUUUN.

Does GAF have a teamspeak/vent/mumble that we can use for MW:O? Or should we just use the official TS server and hop into a room of our own?

Wait how are people getting their joysticks to work?

I have what basically equates to a rebranded X-52(i think?) It is the 360 stick that came bundled with Ace Combat 6. I have been using it for a while now and never have any problems with it on other games.

It makes absolutely no sense when I plug it up for MWO. The default settings for some reason have my selected weapon group fire when I PUSH THE THROTTLE FORWARD. /facepalm

And the damn button config never saves any of my changes. I have tried everything and have had no luck.

I saw someone post a config file on the beta forums but that didn't help my problem either.

Would love to get this working. I haven't tried since the newest patch. Any idea if these issues have been cleared up?

sp3000

I just had an epic fight with a Jenner. Three assault mechs trying to take down one light mech is quite a hilarious scene.

Lime

I can't seem to get the group creation to work. Spent most of last night trying to make it work by inviting online gaffers, but to no avail.

I am used to tinkering with stuff. Too much so.
What i hate is that i constantly have to tweak stuff to get them work right.
Launch this game with a command line to make it work. Tweak registery to make that work. Tinker one week with config settings before sound works. Add gazillion lines and modify a bunch of others to make this mod work.
FUCK THAT. I really, really prefer consoles for gaming.
Also generally hate using text based input system of DOSBox, can't you make a DOS emulator that doesn't have to act just like the original DOS too, ie graphic user interface.
EDIT it doesn't help DOSBox treats my keyboard as if it were US keyboard when it is not.

Okay, now I see. If you're not into that sort of hassle/tinkering and prefer console gaming, I can fully understand why you won't be bothered. I've always found tinkering with settings and making stuff function properly enjoyable, and I like trying to write command lines in Dos (a nostalgia kind of thing, I guess).

Wait how are people getting their joysticks to work?

I have what basically equates to a rebranded X-52(i think?) It is the 360 stick that came bundled with Ace Combat 6. I have been using it for a while now and never have any problems with it on other games.

It makes absolutely no sense when I plug it up for MWO. The default settings for some reason have my selected weapon group fire when I PUSH THE THROTTLE FORWARD. /facepalm

And the damn button config never saves any of my changes. I have tried everything and have had no luck.

I saw someone post a config file on the beta forums but that didn't help my problem either.

Would love to get this working. I haven't tried since the newest patch. Any idea if these issues have been cleared up?

I'm on a Sidewinder Pro 2 and I can map buttons and the throttle as well in the options :/.

Be sure to mark your config file as write-protected.

Ok, I added you guys finally haha. Time for some FUUUUN.

Does GAF have a teamspeak/vent/mumble that we can use for MW:O? Or should we just use the official TS server and hop into a room of our own?

If anyone figures something out, please send me a PM. I'd be up for it.

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, now I see. If you're not into that sort of hassle/tinkering and prefer console gaming, I can fully understand why you won't be bothered. I've always found tinkering with settings and making stuff function properly enjoyable, and I like trying to write command lines in Dos (a nostalgia kind of thing, I guess).

Trying to fight nostalgia actively.

You really start hating tinkering and tweaking when try installing 100 Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout mods and try to get them work togheter, fix errors due to game engine and errors left by modders with third party utilities, tweak config files for them, tweak load order...

You really start hating tinkering and tweaking when developers are lazy and do not include all graphics options in menus (such as not allowing removing shadows with medium shaders even if the game engine has no problems with this (looking at you Starcraft 2)) and you have to that manually via configs.

You really start hating tinkering and tweaking when you've played 10 years on Xbox not really having to bother with PCs.

And you really, really start hating everything when all the games you want to play are on PC instead of consoles.

Should stick with boardgames...
Which reminds me. Going to try to desing a Mech desing using Fission Reactor. Thought i'd call the desing "Soviet". Maybe the designation could be "SOV-1T"?
Still trying to figure out in-universe justfication for this. Thought this might be a Periphery desing.
Wish Piranha would allow Fission Reactors in MWO, trade heavy weight and bulk for cheaper prize and slightly more resistant to damage due to heavy shielding used (e not following TT rules here).

Orayn

Speaking of reactors, apparently we aren't getting supernova 'Mech deaths like in previous installments. Apparently those aren't consistent with the way fusion power plants shut down in canon?

It's a shame, because most of the deaths right now are a little underwhelming due to stiff ragdolls and a relative lack of visual damage to the 'Mech. Hopefully they'll get a little more "explodey" and show more parts of the 'Mech getting blown to smithereens.

Woorloog

Banned
Speaking of reactors, apparently we aren't getting supernova 'Mech deaths like in previous installments. Apparently those aren't consistent with the way fusion power plants shut down in canon?

It's a shame, because most of the deaths right now are a little underwhelming due to stuff ragdolls and a relative lack of visual damage to the 'Mech. Hopefully they'll get a little more "explodey" and show more parts of the 'Mech getting blown to smithereens.

Canonically, when a fusion reactor is breached, there is a steam explosion. A fusion reactor won't blow up as a nuclear fireball, as cool as that may be.
Me, i prefer realism.
Give us another MechAssault style game and i'll be ok with fusion reactors exploding. Damn the chain reactions in that game were fun.

EDIT anyone played Titans of Steel? I remember that game's reactors...
Hexes in it were 300m across. In Battletech, they're 30m.
Reactor explosions in that game had 3 hex radius...

sp3000

The reactor explosions in Mechwarrior Living legends are a nuclear fireball that takes up almost a kilometer. It's great.

They really do need to add some kind of clear visual feedback for a mech explosion

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Canonically, when a fusion reactor is breached, there is a steam explosion. A fusion reactor won't blow up as a nuclear fireball, as cool as that may be.
Me, i prefer realism.
Give us another MechAssault style game and i'll be ok with fusion reactors exploding. Damn the chain reactions in that game were fun.

EDIT anyone played Titans of Steel? I remember that game's reactors...
Hexes in it were 300m across. In Battletech, they're 30m.
Reactor explosions in that game had 3 hex radius...
Reign of Thunder from the MechAssault guys is basically MechSplosions: The Game. Really nice to look at in motion. I hope they change their mind about the reactors in MWO.

Is it me or is 2012 the year of vehicular combat game?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI, the way some authors have described mech explosions in novels might work as a compromise for realism and drama: when fusion reactor is physically breached by damage or suffers containment melting, there's a eye-damaging bright light spire coming up from the mech along with high pitched whine. Then lots of molten metal and debris shooting out of the machine in all directions as the heat chews through the center mass. Along with spears of white light. Until it sputters out, and the machine then slowly falls over with smoke and steam.

Ebris

I'll be joining you guys sometime next week when they patch the crashing fix. I crash almost every game at this point.

Top Bottom