• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

SJRB

Gold Member
About 10 people at my midnight release at best buy. 5 for for forza 4 were MOH and I had both by my count.

Totally off-topic, but imagine working through freaking midnight, only to have 10 people show up.

Must feel horrible.

Game is pretty fun on the PC. I'm running ultra with 4x Msaa and 16x aniso filtering post process AA off because I don't like a blurred screen. I get 70+ frames a second. Here is my rig.

Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 ghz
8 gigs DDR3 ram 1600
Nvidia Zotac GTX 670

I'm running at 1080p resolution.

zedge

Game runs perfect here too on ultra.

However, wtf at the default controls??

Take cover = hold ctl to crouch, now hold alt and d to peek right, or alt and a to peek left.. are you kidding? LOL!!!

And I have to say the menus are a complete mess.. jesus its like metro ui's bastard child twice removed..so confusing.

Anyway, I like how it plays, just need to tweak the controls and figure out the wacko menus and options.

jet1911

Haha yeah the controls do need to be changed before starting the game. Toggle couch and ADS is mandatory. I still don't understand why MOH Airborne "cover system" didn't become a standard. Is was so simple yet so effective.

demolitio

The game definitely has a lot of attention to detail, especially to those who have served or know the weapons and gear they're using because they have a lot of specific stuff instead of generic ones. My friend spotted a specific small manufacturer that's pretty popular in real life with the special forces and gun enthusiasts that wouldn't be known or used by infantrymen. Very good attention to detail instead of generic military designated rifles and that's it.

It does have a little more action in it as we saw before launch, but that more real feeling is still there thanks to that attention to detail.

I'll give a full hands on after I beat the SP if anyone wants as it will be coming from a person who hates COD and BF3's campaigns but thought the last MOH had the best SP campaign of the year out of all the modern war shooters simply due to that grounded focus and the brotherhood. It wasn't all explosions, but memorable moments where you feel overwhelmed and rely on allies to help you out.

MP is good to me but that's subjective. I knew I liked it for a while now and thought the beta on 360 felt really different compared to the PC version.

Oh, and anyone playing MP, try the immersion mode and be blown away for screenshots. No HUD except the objective and the occasional blue name that pops up, but it doesn't even tell you if you killed a guy creating a lot of tense moments where you're afraid the guy is waiting for you as you go in since you only got 2 shots in, but then you walk right on in and see his body and feel relieved.

Immersion mode with objectives is fun for a different experience.

Edit: And then I crash. :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hahahaha the game was like fundamentally broken when it went gold.

This shit will Bargain Bin during Black Friday

Not even showcased, just thrown into a pile to be ravaged

HOLY SHIT!

I wouldn't be surprised with a $19.99-$24.99 price tag... Jesus!

Micerider

The videos convinced me that the game looks good, but also that it would seem "pretty linear".

I'm not a BIG FPS player and it's quite scarce that I get into a multiplayer shooter long enough to justify the purchase of a boring campaign for a stellar multiplayer (BF3 I'm looking at you). So I'll ask ahead : is the solo game worthwhile?

Sho Nuff

Banned
y3fr1.jpg

Xander51

Haha yeah the controls do need to be changed before starting the game. Toggle couch and ADS is mandatory. I still don't understand why MOH Airborne "cover system" didn't become a standard. Is was so simple yet so effective.

This SO HARD. Thank you. Airborne's cover/leaning system was phenomenal, one of many cool things about that game. It should be in more games. I was crushed when they scaled it down/broke it in 2010.

Sethos

Banned
These two posts in succession ... interesting.

So because a shitty game has a no HUD option it can't be bargain bin material? Perhaps that feature is the sole reason it'll hit the bargain bin, not because the other 99,9% of the game is ass?

Not getting what you are trying to say.

So because a shitty game has a no HUD option it can't be bargain bin material? Perhaps that feature is the sole reason it'll hit the bargain bin, not because the other 99,9% of the game is ass?

Not getting what you are trying to say.

Fucking obviously, holy shit.

Quoted Post #1 = intriguing to me.
Quoted Post #2 = good time to buy.

madmackem

I never get the issues with day one patchs, id rather they did this than let if be fucked for weeks, discs are pressed what a month or more before release so they have a full month on top to catch some of the issues that might have got through.

Squire

Banned
I never get the issues with day one patchs, id rather they did this than let if be fucked for weeks, discs are pressed what a month or more before release so they have a full month on top to catch some of the issues that might have got through.

Between this post and my time spent in the Dead or Alive 5 OT, I think people overestimate how much can be fixed with a patch or any number of patches.

This game could be broken to it's very core.

demolitio

Honestly, I'd say 7 out of 10. It's got some great ideas and their approach to SP is a lot more interesting than other games, but it does feel rushed in many ways. It's a shame since it has a lot of little details for people to catch up on that no other game will ever come close to yet the game is rough in some areas.

I'm a little more lenient on the MP since I played it a lot before release and it can be a lot of fun with the right modes. It has a lot of cool moments in MP like I said before and this is turning out to be the opposite of what I thought and how it was with the first MOH and that is: I'm having more fun with MP than SP in this. Coming in, I was more interested in the SP. The first MOH didn't blow me away gameplay wise, but its story was grounded and more raw compared to Hollywood so I loved it for capturing the comradery aspect of it all.

Do I regret paying $30? No, because I'll get that much enjoyment out of it.

It makes me shake my head at EA though. So damn sneaky. You should see the MOH forums right now. Of course I'm sure they'll have DLC pretty soon which will only enrage the forum folk even more.

It's a shame when you can see all the potential there yet so many problems stand in the way.

I don't think I'll be getting this game after all. Nothing from what I've seen or heard makes me want to play this game, and I think I'm just better off waiting till it hits the bargain bin.

If anyone wants a 50% off code for this game on Origin, just quote to reveal:

Sojgat

The issue is that there's a difference between improving your title after release, and knowingly shipping it to retail unfinished.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm loving the MP on PC like I figured since the last time I played it quite a few months ago. It feels pretty smooth and does have its own feel to it.

So did they retain the gameplay and improve upon it since the Alpha? I loved the alpha and I'm thinking about picking this up for the MP.

EDIT:
NVM just looked up

Honestly, I'd say 7 out of 10. It's got some great ideas and their approach to SP is a lot more interesting than other games, but it does feel rushed in many ways. It's a shame since it has a lot of little details for people to catch up on that no other game will ever come close to yet the game is rough in some areas.

I'm a little more lenient on the MP since I played it a lot before release and it can be a lot of fun with the right modes. It has a lot of cool moments in MP like I said before and this is turning out to be the opposite of what I thought and how it was with the first MOH and that is: I'm having more fun with MP than SP in this. Coming in, I was more interested in the SP. The first MOH didn't blow me away gameplay wise, but its story was grounded and more raw compared to Hollywood so I loved it for capturing the comradery aspect of it all.

Do I regret paying $30? No, because I'll get that much enjoyment out of it.

It makes me shake my head at EA though. So damn sneaky. You should see the MOH forums right now. Of course I'm sure they'll have DLC pretty soon which will only enrage the forum folk even more.

It's a shame when you can see all the potential there yet so many problems stand in the way.

How did you get the game for $30?

demolitio

sorry, internet died so i'm on my phone. ask someone for an origin code from bf3. It plays a lot smoother than the alpha and looks better. Its like the alpha refined a lot more with a lot of progression, like 70 characters for nations...lol

Msg me tomoorow and I'll fill you in. its worth 30 bucks for sure if you liked the alpha like I did. Its hardcore mode is more than bf3`s too

Sorry for the laggy phone mistakes. Unlucky day.

Remmy2112

sorry, internet died so i'm on my phone. ask someone for an origin code from bf3.

Is this code from just owning BF3 or owning it and having BF3 premium? Either way if there is someone our there who isn't going to use his/hers I'd be very interested. Of course if there's some sort of list of people wanting one or simply other members of GAF higher in seniority then I'm more than willing to wait.

As for the game itself the vids I've seen so far make it look interesting. I've been cautiously optimistic for a few months about the game but I wanted to wait until reviews on the off chance it was a mess. Trust, but verify if you will. Looks like I will need to make the decision based on posts on this and similar topics around the internet and videos (keep them coming!). I do have some questions, though;

1: That scan thing the spec ops class can do, what is the range and cooldown on it? It looked very much like a more limited version of the Blacklight: Retribution VR scan, only showing people in your immediate vicinity. What are its downsides and are there any counters to it?

2: Is there a good variety of guns for the MP classes and how much does the country of your character factor into it, aside from possible starting camo? Also can you customize the secondary weapons? All the videos I've seen so far have made it look like each class gets a specific secondary weapon and every video has made them look the same.

3: I've seen a number of vids but I'd like to hear from someone playing in their own words regarding time to kill opponents. Vids I have seen looked slower than the Call of Duty series post 4, but not as long as Battlefield 3.

panda21

i'm torn, I really liked the last Medal of Ho on the PC, i thought the campaign was pretty atmospheric and it looked great. definitely my favourite campaign out of all the COD type games. but if i'm going to buy it now, I'd like to be able to play the MP, and I suck and using moose/keyboard so I'd want to get it on 360.

does the 360 version look ok? i think part of the appeal of the previous one for me was just how good it looked on PC

oh and is the MP even good?

waypoetic

Banned
I read some tweets earlier today, players having problems with all sorts of things with the game and the MOH twitter account asking "how long has this been?", "is this the first time this occured while saving?" etc.

... And people thought that it wouldn't be as bad as last time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Did they steal the weapons from Borderlands or something? They look fucking terrible. And all the colors just seem off.

While its a little excessive thats basically what an AK family rifle would wind up looking once all that pretty black finish gets worn off. Though dont know why they put that effect on the wood front hand guard in the 2nd pic. The first one doesnt look as bad. But it seems odd to some due to the weathered effect + the digital desert? skin.

Give you a bit of an example here below. Part of that (the muzzle / barrel section) Id reckon is from the fine sand / dust that is always being kicked around by the winds.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I read some tweets earlier today, players having problems with all sorts of things with the game and the MOH twitter account asking "how long has this been?", "is this the first time this occured while saving?" etc.

... And people thought that it wouldn't be as bad as last time.

pirated versions, I guess.

but may be not

Spookie

Man the weapon and class unlocks are obtuse. I have no idea how to unlock new optics for my guns. At least BF3 was fairly unfront about that even if it was more of a carrot on stick than CoD.

Multiplayer is fun though, guns that hurt and there is fucking recoil?! Holy shit. I thought that was a long past tradition.

Xyber

While its a little excessive thats basically what an AK family rifle would wind up looking once all that pretty black finish gets worn off. Though dont know why they put that effect on the wood front hand guard in the 2nd pic. The first one doesnt look as bad. But it seems odd to some due to the weathered effect + the digital desert? skin.

Give you a bit of an example here below.

It's more that they don't look real, like cell shaded or something. It just looks off.

And maybe I should have been a little more specific, when I was talking about the colors I meant the overall picture and not just how the weapon looked. The blacks in the first screen just looks crushed, can't make out anything in some of the darker areas.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's more that they don't look real, like cell shaded or something. It just looks off.

And maybe I should have been a little more specific, when I was talking about the colors I meant the overall picture and not just how the weapon looked. The blacks in the first screen just looks crushed, can't make out anything in some of the darker areas.

The second picture a lot of the oddities seems to come from how the objects in the world stand out in an odd way against the skyline, giving it a cartoony look. First pic is really too dark to really notice anything.

Top Bottom