• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 04-10 to 04-16

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I should also post what Next Gen says the LTD's for each console/handheld are, although are a few are a bit off from what I have.

PS2: 19,208,840
GBA: 8,822,044
DS: 6,414,722 (I have 6,414,725)
GBASP: 5,793,250
GC: 4,137,238
PSP: 3,292,355 (I have 3,292,361)
DS Lite: 827,737 (I have the same)
GBM: 477,766 (I have 477,165)
Xbox: 475,200
Xbox 360: 107,855 (I have 107,856)

At least they're close enough and will fill in the blanks of the years 2000 and 2001 that cvxfreak didn't have.

EDIT: I don't know the ones without a bolded note.

WOWSERS
7,242,459 in Japan alone for the DS!
add in 4.5million for US and 5m+ for DS in Europe and maybe 1m for other Territories
we're looking at near on 18million already ! with the DSlite still to hit in the USA and Europe!

Fuzzy

DefectiveReject said:
WOWSERS
7,242,459 in Japan alone for the DS!
add in 4.5million for US and 5m+ for DS in Europe and maybe 1m for other Territories
we're looking at near on 18million already ! with the DSlite still to hit in the USA and Europe!
It's more like 16-17 million, you're a little high on the US number and I really doubt Europe/others are that high either.

Fuzzy said:
It's more like 16-17 million, you're a little high on the US number and I really doubt Europe/others are that high either.
it was 16m not so long ago (japanese DS conference i think) 15m at xmas, and we've had the DS lite release since as well as 3months of USA and Europe sales

Fuzzy

DefectiveReject said:
it was 16m not so long ago (japanese DS conference i think) 15m at xmas, and we've had the DS lite release since as well as 3months of USA and Europe sales
It was 14.43 million shipped as of the end of Nintendo's 3Q (end of December).

EDIT: It was at 3.5 million sold in Europe (according to NoE) as of the end of December. There's no way in hell it sold 1.5+ million there in 3 months.

It's at 4.3 million sold in the US right now.

EDIT2: I should also mention that NoA said in a PR that as of the end of December the DS was at ~13 million sold WW.
Worldwide sales have shown a similar pattern with millions turning to Nintendo for their portable gaming. Approximately 13 million* Nintendo DS are now in the hands of people all around the world.

* Combined sell-thru numbers in Japan, US, Latin America, Australia and other territories

DarkMehm

If anyone is interested, here are the MC totals for all platforms (not counting this week, as I'm waiting for tomorrow, because Next Gen has sometimes false numbers):

Playstation 2: 20.308.987
Game Boy Advance: 9.622.101
Nintendo DS: 6.377.521
Game Boy Advance SP: 5.785.666
Gamecube: 4.341.388
PSP: 3.266.021
DS lite: 686.768
Xbox: 474.496
Game: Boy micro 473.489
Xbox 360: 105.930

DS Total: 7.064.289
GBA Total: 15.881.256

Fuzzy said:
DS Lite: 140,969
DS: 37,204
PS2: 27,549
PSP: 26,340
GBASP: 6,372
GBM: 3,676
Xbox 360: 1,926
GC: 1,080
GBA: 46
Xbox: 30

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2782&Itemid=2

We'll see if they made any mistakes when MC updates their site.

It will be interesting to see if PSPs core pack will have a positive influence on next weeks sales.

Btw. DS Lite is at 827,737 and it has only two weeks left to sell another ~400k to meet Nintendos shipment expectations (550k March, 700k April). Imho either the shortages aren't that dramatic anymore or Nintendo won't ship these 700k in April.

Monorojo

Banned
PSP is still selling at a constant rate of 100k+ a month, it will reach 4.5 million sold by the end of the year easily (with holiday push), surpassing total Gamecube sales while being out less than half the time (2years vs 5years)

It will pass Genesis (3.58 Million~) in a few months, N64 and Saturn total Japanese sales by the end of next year (PSP will reach 6 million~).

Really, if you call PSP a flop in Japan what do you call Gamecube, N64, Saturn, Genesis sales in Japan? Gigantic failures? No of course not, especially not N64 and Saturn. They both preformed well in Japan and the fact PSP will surpass them both quite easily, it tells you that PSP must be seen as a success. No other way to look at it.

Also if you look at software, PSP has yet again the highest selling 3rd party title of the week, nothing new here. You people will of course try to downplay it, but this has become a mainstay with these charts, Nintendo 1st party games selling and when you look for highest third party handheld title, its on PSP.

So all in all, a fantastic week and current situation for Sony.

:lol :lol

He's back.

Monorojo said:
Really, if you call PSP a flop in Japan what do you call Gamecube, N64, Saturn, Genesis sales in Japan? Gigantic failures? No of course not, especially not N64 and Saturn. They both preformed well in Japan and the fact PSP will surpass them both quite easily, it tells you that PSP must be seen as a success. No other way to look at it.

Question: if you call PSP a success in Japan, wtf is the DS?

Monorojo said:
PSP is still selling at a constant rate of 100k+ a month, it will reach 4.5 million sold by the end of the year easily (with holiday push), surpassing total Gamecube sales while being out less than half the time (2years vs 5years)

It will pass Genesis (3.58 Million~) in a few months, N64 and Saturn total Japanese sales by the end of next year (PSP will reach 6 million~).

Also if you look at software, PSP has yet again the highest selling 3rd party title of the week, nothing new here. You people will of course try to downplay it, but this has become a mainstay with these charts, Nintendo 1st party games selling and when you look for highest third party handheld title, its on PSP.

He's back!

But Children of Mana is doing better than any PSP third party released this year, so far.

Mrbob

Monorojo said:

:thumbsup

Dracos

I think the success of the DS should be on the cover of Time magazine as the greatest natural disaster of 2005-2006. So many people are hurting, and left homeless. FEMA representitive Monorojo is doing such a piss poor job on the damage control.

I blame Bush.

Busaiku

Monorojo said:

Flops.

aronnov

Banned
Monorojo said:

that's great... so how do they compare to say, other handhelds? How did the gamegear do in japan?

Though DS sales are down, so are PSP sales. Thus, for the 4th week in a row, it has set a new high record for how well it did against PSP. Whereas last week it had 87.0% of sales between the two, this week it's 87.1%.

I don't much quote my numbers on when PSP would outsell DS if DS stopped selling at all and PSP continued at the current rate, because it's pretty worthless. But this is the first time it's resulted in a 2009 date.

DSL after week 7: 827,737
SP after week 7: 571,400
Time for SP to reach 828K: ~11 weeks

"DS after DSL" after week 7: 316,409
"GBA after SP" after week 7: 170,100
Time for GBA to reach 316K: ~20 weeks

DefectiveReject said:
Has any console ever gone 18months before it released its first real big gun?
I don't think it's fair to say DS has done so well without a big gun. Just because many people weren't expecting Nintendogs to not be big doesn't mean it wasn't a big gun for Nintendo.

Fuzzy said:
DS: 6,414,722 (I have 6,414,725)
PSP: 3,292,355 (I have 3,292,361)
GBM: 477,766 (I have 477,165)
Xbox 360: 107,855 (I have 107,856)
I match you on all of these.

Mama Smurf said:
Who, exactly, is still buying the original GBA?
Extremely poor? People who remembered to bring their cartridge but forgot their system at home and needed a disposable? Goa'uld?

Monorojo

Banned
Frankfurter said:
:
Question: if you call PSP a success in Japan, wtf is the DS?

Well there are different levels of success. When you look at hardware and first party sales, DS is a greater success, but when you look at thrid party sales, and the fact that its practically a stalement in terms of #'s, then take into consideration fanbase and current situation of each handheld in Japan, PSP is a greatersuccess there.

aronnov said:
that's great... so how do they compare to say, other handhelds? How did the gamegear do in japan?

It outsold every non nintendo handheld already i believe. GameGear did sub 2 million, Wonderswan did just around 3 million, Neo Geo Pocket - 550,000. Dont know about Virtual Boy.

After its all said and done, PSP will only be behind the GB sereis (including DS) when it comes to handhelds, but much more successful than any other non-nintendo handheld ever in its "weakest" territory.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
DS outsold everything this week by 2.66 times i.e. 72.67% of all hardware sold was DS. Pretty staggering

Monorojo said:
Well there are different levels of success. When you look at hardware and first party sales, DS is a greater success, but when you look at thrid party sales, and the fact that its practically a stalement in terms of #'s, then take into consideration fanbase and current situation of each handheld in Japan, PSP is a greatersuccess there.

Again, you bring in the weak tie in ratio argument to "prove" a non-existent point.

DS hardware and software > PSP's in Japan. Period.

Monorojo said:
weak? 3 million fanbase vs 7 million fanbase with equal 3rd aprty sales is not weak in any shape way or form.

I'm talking about your argument (third party tie-in ratios), there's no logical way to spin this to make the PSP look like a greater success, that's even pushing it, by your standards. :p

mj1108

Monorojo said:

:lol :lol :lol

The entertainment has arrived!

lancubap

Fuzzy said:
Mono's back!

Oh NO ! It was a wonderful place without you: try to be objective please !!!

Monorojo said:

It outsold every non nintendo handheld already i believe. GameGear did sub 2 million, Wonderswan did just around 3 million, Neo Geo Pocket - 550,000. Dont know about Virtual Boy.

After its all said and done, PSP will only be behind the GB sereis (including DS) when it comes to handhelds, but much more successful than any other non-nintendo handheld ever in its "weakest" territory.

It is incredible to see the amount of bullshit you say. And the most worrying thing is that you really trust what you say: it is just insane.

And most important, your attitude has like result only a beginning of a new war !!! We know all very well that PSP in not a failure, but Nintendo has made a amazing, incredible and spectacular success with his handheld, both Software and Hardware: it is impossible to deny this simple reality, because is under our eyes every week !

So please, stop to say the same things, because the result is only that you open a new useless War !!!

Monorojo said:
weak? 3 million fanbase vs 7 million fanbase with equal 3rd aprty sales is not weak in any shape way or form.

Good point. :lol

For example, by comparing PS2 first-party sales to GC first-party sales, relative to each console's fanbase, you find that the GameCube is THE MOST POPULAR CONSOLE OF ALL TIME!!!!

Also, it should be noted that the PSP is kicking the DS's sorry ass when it comes to popularity among 4'7" Malaysian women, which is the demographic that most matters to pygmy developers. Something to chew on.

mj1108

lancubap said:
It is incredible to see the amount of bullshit you say. And the most worrying thing is that you really trust what you say: it is just insane.

And most important, your attitude has like result only a beginning of a new war !!! We know all very well that PSP in not a failure, but Nintendo has made a amazing, incredible and spectacular success with his handheld, both Software and Hardware: it is impossible to deny this simple reality, because is under our eyes every week !

So please, stop to say the same things, because the result is only that you open a new useless War !!!

QFT.

Last week was nice since he wasn't here.....the thread ended up being a decent discussion.

Monorojo said:
Difference is GCN third party sales dont come close to Ps2 third party sales, PSP and DS are a virtual tie.

So what? Everyone admits GCN was a bomb. PSP first party sales don't come close to DS sales and DS still has the 3rd party edge.

lancubap

mj1108 said:
QFT.

Last week was nice since he wasn't here.....the thread ended up being a decent discussion.

I wanna not say to ban him: It is right give him the possibility to change and say something of constructive, but if he contunues to say only ""Sony good and Nintendo shit""......the conseguences for Monorojo will be obvious.

For Monorojo: it is not all gold what make light and all shit what it does not appeal to !!!

EDIT:

PhoenixDark said:
THANK YOU

God, this man never stops. It's just a meaningless point, yet he continues to harp on it as if it was the greatest indicator of handheld success. Well, it's not buddy.

3rd party developers are making cheaper games on the DS and creating profit. On the PSP, this isn't always the case.

Another reality !

parathod said:
So what? Everyone admits GCN was a bomb. PSP first party sales don't come close to DS sales and DS still has the 3rd party edge.

Don't you get it? First-party sales are irrelevent. The true measure of a system's success is Capcom's profit margin, silly.

Monorojo

Banned
Never said they dont count, did you miss the aprt where is aid that first sales were a greater success on DS than PSP?

Its just that 3rd parties are equal and DS has more than double the fanbase, and 3rd party support is what gamers like myslef really care about (even the most hardcore nintendo fan can admit 3rd party support is important).

So there is no way when you take into consideration everything that anyone could consider 3rd party sales on DS better or even nearly as successful.

Monorojo said:
Never said they dont count, did you miss the aprt where is aid that first sales were a greater success on DS than PSP?

Its just that 3rd parties are equal and DS has more than double the fanbase, and 3rd party support is what gamers like myslef really care about (even the most hardcore nintendo fan can admit 3rd party support is important).

So there is no way when you take into consideration everything that anyone could consider 3rd party sales on DS better or even nearly as successful.

I can't believe I just read this. :lol

1. Who cares what you care about? We care about the facts here. DS > PSP in both hardware and software (1st AND 3rd party).

2. 3rd Party sales on the DS is better, you're out of your mind here if you think otherwise. All 3rd party developers care about is what they sold through, so far, they have been more successful with the DS, even with cheaper development costs.

Top Bottom