• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 12/6 - 12/12 GC sales SOAR!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Galian Beast said:
How old are you, I really want to know...

Oh wait, that's not true...

I don't really care. I'm not here to get into your mind. Your existance means nothing to me. I don't post for you, or your friends. I live in a world beyond this message board, but it seems to me this is the extent to your life. It's a sad sad realization, reminds me of .hack//sign.

Hahahaah. *wipes tears from eyes* :lol

Take. Me. To. Your. Leader. [/robot voice]

Umm... Ok. I've already given you my main reason why Emerald isn't selling as well as Crystal or Yellow. I believe it is more oversaturation on the GBA, and less a case of spiraling sales.

Yet you have no fact to back that up, you don't KNOW that is the reason. Pokemon Yellow was the 4th game using the same engine, and Crystal is effectively the 7th...

Except the media isn't reporting this as a fall from grace. Only you are. Once again, expansions typically do not sell as many copies as the core game does. This has always been true, of Pokemon, of other RPGs, whatever. And, this IS the 5th time this same exact kind of Pokemon game hits this particular system.

You don't see the media reporting the fact that Capcom is in the dumps, you don't hear it until it happens or realize it until its obvious. Fact is the franchises sales have been constantly going down. Maybe you'll hear the media report it when brand new pokemon games sell only 2 million copies total in japan, maybe even 3 million. The games are about 700k copies a piece from hitting 1.5 million in japan each for new installments. Emerald has already gone below that for what you would call an expansion.

My reading is just fine, thanks for the concern. We aren't talking about Legend of Dragoon. Just as Emerald couldn't have cost Nintendo a whole lot to produce, it surely wouldn't have cost them a lot to advertise either. Pokemon still has a very strong name among consumers. A bear whisper in the right place of a new Pokemon release would be enough to spark the inevitable stampede of customers. Legend of Dragoon, and its circumstances, are entirely irrelevant here.

Learn how to read. You'd realize what I was talking about. Legend of Dragoon is simply an example of a game where resources factor into a game selling a million, but not being succesful. I did not say that resources were a factor for pokemon specifically.

Says you. In that case, Emerald is not a main series game, as it's just an expansion of the Ru/Sa games. Blah. It goes both ways, or not at all.

LOL... clearly you haven't played the pokemon games...

Two games are released A/B, they are for the most part the SAME game, and C another version is released of that same game, simply more advanced. It's not an expansion or a spinoff or anything. FFTA is a part of the Final Fantasy Tactics series, and is far removed from the actual Final Fantasy games. It simply bears the title FF. It's clearly not part of the series FF1-11.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Of course you don't.

These aren't Media Create sales figures; they're Enterbrain/Famitsu figures.

You made no specific mention of who's figures they were. You simply made a claim, as I did, and then used a source that had different numbers than your previous claim, as it had different numbers than mine.

You contradicted yourself gloriously and it was hilarious.

CVXFREAK, you're comparing two completely different beasts. You continue to flant your ignorance, and it has tried my patience once again.

Mejilan

Galian Beast said:
Yet you have no fact to back that up, you don't KNOW that is the reason. Pokemon Yellow was the 4th game using the same engine, and Crystal is effectively the 7th...

You're right. I am speculating. I never claimed otherwise. You are the one claiming that Pokemon, as a franchise, is no longer healthy, and in that you are DISASTROUSLY and HILARIOUSLY wrong. I'm merely trying to give a possible (and believable) explanation as to why I think Emerald isn't selling as well as its predecessors.

You don't see the media reporting the fact that Capcom is in the dumps, you don't hear it until it happens or realize it until its obvious. Fact is the franchises sales have been constantly going down. Maybe you'll hear the media report it when brand new pokemon games sell only 2 million copies total in japan, maybe even 3 million. The games are about 700k copies a piece from hitting 1.5 million in japan each for new installments. Emerald has already gone below that for what you would call an expansion.

As I said, I'll believe Pokemon is dead, or even "diseased" if Pokemon DS fails.

Learn how to read. You'd realize what I was talking about. Legend of Dragoon is simply an example of a game where resources factor into a game selling a million, but not being succesful. I did not say that resources were a factor for pokemon specifically.

Once again, my reading is just fine. Your logic, on the other hand, is not. As I said, Legend of Dragoon is entirely irrelevant. Pokemon Emerald isn't trying to start a new franchise, and it isn't a nameless entity that has to be expensively marketed (or resourced) in order to garner high sales. Emerald was a relatively quick and easy project for Nintendo, neither expensive to fund or to market, and it's making a killing at retail (and will undoubtedly do so again when it hits Europe and America.) Everything about Legend of Dragoon differs from the Pokemon Emerald scenario.

LOL... clearly you haven't played the pokemon games...

I own and have played every single Pokemon RPG released stateside, and even most of the non-RPG ones. I have an excellent understanding of what the various color groupings entail and offer.

Two games are released A/B, they are for the most part the SAME game, and C another version is released of that same game, simply more advanced. It's not an expansion or a spinoff or anything.

Pokemon Yellow essentially featured the same quest as Red/Blue, only with different Pokemon, a couple of new fights, and a couple of new areas to explore. The amount of new content added to it wasn't particularly staggering. It is often considered to be Pokemon 1.5, where Red/Bue are Pokemon 1. Likewise, Silver/Gold are Pokemon 2, and Crystal is their expansion, or 2.5. Ruby and Sapphire are Pokemon 3, and Emerald is their 3.5. It's pretty clear cut.

FFTA is a part of the Final Fantasy Tactics series, and is far removed from the actual Final Fantasy games. It simply bears the title FF. It's clearly not part of the series FF1-11.

What's your point? Your brought up FF in this discussion. I brought up another FF as a counterpoint. I too don't consider FFT or FFTA to be part of the FF1-11 subset, but unlike you (apparently) I do consider it to be part of the FF series at large.

Of course you don't.

I understand you are a newcomer to our planet, so I don't blame you for failing to make yourself completely well understood. [/beep] End of line.
:)

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:
You made no specific mention of who's figures they were. You simply made a claim, as I did, and then used a source that had different numbers than your previous claim, as it had different numbers than mine.

You contradicted yourself gloriously and it was hilarious.

CVXFREAK, you're comparing two completely different beasts. You continue to flant your ignorance, and it has tried my patience once again.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=773934&postcount=132

CVXFREAK said:
I know Pokemon sales aren't as high as they used to be, but the fact still stands that Ruby and Sapphire are the best selling games this generation. In all fairness, the Pokemon remakes outdid Dragon Quest V, which says a lot about the popularity of both series. And Emerald isn't done selling yet; not by a long shot. By the way, according to Media Create, Emerald is actually at 1.3 Million.

Mejilan, who needs to learn to read? :lol

Mejilan

CVXFREAK said:
Mejilan, who needs to learn to read? :lol

What's really humorous is how durn HUFFY he is about all this. Hell, I REALLY should be getting back to studying for tomorrow's final. But this is just too fun(ny).

Edit - Neat trick with that whole View Single Post thing.

cvxfreak

Mejilan said:
What's really humorous is how durn HUFFY he is about all this. Hell, I REALLY should be getting back to studying for tomorrow's final. But this is just too fun(ny).

Edit - Neat trick with that whole View Single Post thing.

In case you didn't know, there's a number on the top right side of every post that leads to a webpage with just that post.

Very good feature for GAF. :)

Mejilan

About 3 minutes ago I scanned this thread to see if there was something clickable that could conceivably be a View Single Post function. I found it. Thanks. :)

I have been here a while and continue to ponder this age-old question: Does Galian Beast ever get tried making a fool out of himself? I mean, enough is enough.

M3wThr33

Banned
This generation of Pokemon is a bit different. FireRed and LeafGreen already milked the 2nd-time-around sales that Emerald would have initially picked up. It shouldn't be surprising to see it not topping the charts until April. With Ru, Sa, FR and LG there's little incentive for releasing Emerald to get Deoxys. Granted, it allows for reduction of effort points, but otherwise serves no real purpose. Because of the GBA port on the DS reading GBA titles, the 5 Pokemon GBA games will serve to boost the DS Pokemon sales as no one should get left behind like with the G1G2 to G3 switch. The real test is how well Diamond and Pearl will sell.

AniHawk

MetaKnight said:
I have been here a while and continue to ponder this age-old question: Does Galian Beast ever get tried making a fool out of himself? I mean, enough is enough.

:lol

Really. I've seen him post since GameFAQs, and he hasn't changed one bit.

cvxfreak

This sums Galian Beast up nicely: if you disagree with him, he thinks you're stupid and inferior to him. It's his way or the highway.

Reminds me of a wannabe divine dude.

AniHawk

Raw64life said:
Haha. I remember the old battles on the Next-Gen forum. Thank god I don't do that stuff anymore.

Man, NGG... Almost two years since I left. I've been trying to get Magus to join, but there's been some problems getting him on here.

miyuru

Galian Beast said:
How old are you, I really want to know...

Oh wait, that's not true...

I don't really care. I'm not here to get into your mind. Your existance means nothing to me. I don't post for you, or your friends. I live in a world beyond this message board, but it seems to me this is the extent to your life. It's a sad sad realization, reminds me of .hack//sign.

:-\

Broshnat

Banned
Just thought I'd throw some facts in for people to ponder:

Actual numbers in Japan

Pokemon R/B/G 10.23m
Pokemon G/S 7.21m
Pokemon R/S 5.02m (end of 2003, will be at around 5.3m now)

Pokemon Y 3.16m
Pokemon C 2.20m
Pokemon E 1.30m + (will get to around 1.9m-2.0m by the time it's finished).

Pokemon Fi/Le 2.5m+ (again, could hit nearly 3.0m).

A downward trend, sure, but hardly worth worrying about when you still sell as many copies as they do!

jarrod

Banned
Broshnat said:
A downward trend, sure, but hardly worth worrying about when you still sell as many copies as they do!
Not only that, but these "trends" extend over a decade. Using Galian's "continued trend" anti-logic, Diamond/Pearl should sell a good 3.5+ million in Japan anyway... which is more than any PS2 or PSP title will manage I'd bet. :p

Broshnat

Banned
Well, Dragon Quest VIII will do about 3.6-3.7 million by the time it's through, but you're right- nothing else will come close. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will do 4m without much effort.

Dragon Quest and Pokemon in Japan are licences to print money. There are a few other huge franchises like Final Fantasy and Mario generally (i know sunshine etc didn't do great but with so many spin-offs that still sell well, and the re-releases of the old titles stll doing good numbers), but it's definitely true that the likes of Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Yugioh, Dynasty Warriors seem to be "fads" that sell huge numbers in one gen, then drop away in another.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure plenty of people have mentioned this during my 2 week ban, but isn't it interesting that the DS trounced the GBA SP in Japan, and the opposite happened here in the US? Is the GBA SP dead in Japan?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Broshnat said:
Dragon Quest and Pokemon in Japan are licences to print money. There are a few other huge franchises like Final Fantasy and Mario generally (i know sunshine etc didn't do great but with so many spin-offs that still sell well, and the re-releases of the old titles stll doing good numbers), but it's definitely true that the likes of Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Yugioh, Dynasty Warriors seem to be "fads" that sell huge numbers in one gen, then drop away in another.

Street Fighter is hardly a fad... let me remind you that it's been around since what... the 16bit days? If anything there just hasn't been much advancement in that series lately.

But hardly a fad.

Broshnat

Banned
Not a "fad" as such, bad use of the word hence the speech marks, but when Street Fighter 2 sells 6.5m on the SNES and the latest incarnations struggle to do 200-300k then the point stands that in terms of popularity sales-wise they have dropped away significantly from their early 90s glory days...

jarrod

Banned
Broshnat said:
Not a "fad" as such, bad use of the word hence the speech marks, but when Street Fighter 2 sells 6.5m on the SNES and the latest incarnations struggle to do 200-300k then the point stands that in terms of popularity sales-wise they have dropped away significantly from their early 90s glory days...
Well, it's not that bad yet. Alpha 3 moved 1 million on PSone and another 1 million across DC/Saturn/GBA. Looking at things like 3rd Strike (limited to DC base) or Anniversary Collection (budget collection) is a little disingenous. I'd imagine a full 3D Street Fighter 4 would probably do really well (and now that the Maximo team at Capcom Studio 8 has the franchise, we might actually see that). Look at Mortal Kombat's current revival for example.

Broshnat

Banned
How do people think Resident Evil 4 will do?

I hope it can sell 2m at least. I reckon it can do about double what RE:Zero did:

0.45m Jap
0.50m USA
0.24m Other
1.19m Total

Surely it can do 750k Japan, 1m+ in the states and 0.5m in Europe?

I'd love to see it do much more than that though, the game looks amazing!

Some historic Capcom figures just for reference:

Street Fighter 2 SNES 6.30
Street Fighter 2 Turbo SNES 4.10
Super Street Fighter 2 SNES 2.00
Street Fighter 2 Plus MD 1.67
Street Fighter Alpha 3 PS 1.00

Resident Evil 2 PS 4.96
Resident Evil 3 PS 3.50
Resident Evil PS 2.75
Dino Crisis PS 2.40
Devil May Cry PS2 2.16
Onimusha PS2 2.02
Resident Evil 4 GC 2.00??
Onimusha 2 PS2 1.99
Devil May Cry 2 PS2 1.50
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X PS2 1.32
Resident Evil GC 1.24
Resident Evil: DC Dual Shock PS 1.20
Resident Evil 0 GC 1.19
Dino Crisis 2 PS 1.19
Resident Evil: Code Veronica DC 1.14
Resident Evil: DC PS 1.13

jarrod

Banned
I don't think it'll do quite that well, at least on GameCube alone. I'm guessing around...

JP: 300-400k
NA: 500-800k
EU: 300-500k

...before the PS2 version hits (which is really the wildcard). We just don't know enough yet, how will the GC market be holding up, how soon will the game get budget rerelease, what extras will the PS2 version include, what kind of promotion are we looking at? FWIW, I doubt the PS2 version does better than the GC release at full rice, but will likely do much better as a budget game. Most of CVX's sales came after the GH release and I'm expecting the same for RE4 most likely.

Broshnat

Banned
jarrod said:
I don't think it'll do quite that well, at least on GameCube alone. I'm guessing around...

JP: 300-400k
NA: 500-800k
EU: 300-500k

...before the PS2 version hits (which is really the wildcard). We just don't know enough yet, how will the GC market be holding up, how soon will the game get budget rerelease, what extras will the PS2 version include, what kind of promotion are we looking at? FWIW, I doubt the PS2 version does better than the GC release at full rice, but will likely do much better as a budget game. Most of CVX's sales came after the GH release and I'm expecting the same for RE4 most likely.

It should do 600k at least in Japan, surely?? RE: Zero did 450k.

There seems to be so much more hype around for RE4 though, it's almost been on par with MGS3 for hype, so I can see it doing well- a million in the US shouldn't be much to ask. It should really be the cube's biggest 3rd party game.

koam

I'd just like to point something out. While it's a fact that Nintendo shipped 500,000DS on week one, why are people in this thread under the impression that they also shipped 500,000 on week 2? A company never ships an equal amount of units the second week of release, they can't produce them fast enough. The reason there was a price drop is because there weren't as many DSes available on week 2. I'd guess they shipped 500,000 on week 1 and 200,000 on week 2.

I guess time will shut these fanboys up more than I ever could.

I've been arguing with them since the dreamcast was released, and ive been right since. It's funny how they still kid themselves, but at the same time it really isn't.

I'll let time be my strongest witness once again.

P.S. CVXFREAK it looks like my estimation on this years japanese hardware sales seems to be pretty much spot on.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
I guess time will shut these fanboys up more than I ever could.

I've been arguing with them since the dreamcast was released, and ive been right since. It's funny how they still kid themselves, but at the same time it really isn't.

I'll let time be my strongest witness once again.
Well, if things work out as well as your predictions on Square Enix's handheld agenda last year then we'll see how your grandstanding holds. Then again, I suspect you'll be banned long before that... permanently this time let's hope.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
P.S. CVXFREAK it looks like my estimation on this years japanese hardware sales seems to be pretty much spot on.
Wait, what estimations? In that other thread, your GBA JP numbers were a good 500k shy.... unsurprisingly.

I've got no idea what you are talking about, and not that it's any of your business, I don't know why you seem so interested in my affairs, but on GF CVXFREAK made a topic about peoples yearly predictions I predicted the GC would sell around 600k (got attacked by a lot of fanboys) and that the PS2 and GBA would be around 2 million if I recall, could be mistaken it was a year ago.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
I've got no idea what you are talking about, and not that it's any of your business, I don't know why you seem so interested in my affairs, but on GF CVXFREAK made a topic about peoples yearly predictions I predicted the GC would sell around 600k (got attacked by a lot of fanboys) and that the PS2 and GBA would be around 2 million if I recall, could be mistaken it was a year ago.
Well, GBA's actually around 2.5 million currently, it'll probably be about 2.6 million year end. Same goes for PS2 actually.... that doesn't sound exactly "spot on" to me.

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:

Don't claim a victory just yet. There are three weeks of coverage left, and 100,000 systems to go. I'm sure you and the other trolls like Link316 were very shocked when GC pulled that 1 Million number last year. So, we'll see what happens.

Jarrod, I said something around 2 million don't know the exact number, perhaps cvxfreak archived it, i don't know.

CVXFREAK, have you seen the gamecube sales throughout the year?

I called this poor sales amount knowing that the gamecube was dropping in sales, and had no software coming out to push it. I calculated the number I thought most appropriate, and the accuracy scares even me.

Galian Beast said:
Jarrod, I said something around 2 million don't know the exact number, perhaps cvxfreak archived it, i don't know.

I called this poor sales amount knowing that the gamecube was dropping in sales, and had no software coming out to push it. I calculated the number I thought most appropriate, and the accuracy scares even me.

It's been consistent this year though hasn't it?

I'm not saying it's been good. Far from it. But its hardware numbers don't show a downward trend do they? I wouldn't say they've been half as erratic as sales of the other consoles:

2004.jpg

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:

Yes I've seen them throughout the year, but the last week of sales gives a glimpse of hope for 700K which would make the both of us inaccurate.

Like I said, wait until you actually see the final sales figures before claiming victory. I had a similar bet with Link316 last year, where I said the GC would sell a million and it looked like it wouldn't until the very last week. So, wait two weeks.

radioheadrule83 said:
It's been consistent this year though hasn't it?

I'm not saying it's been good. Far from it. But its hardware numbers don't show a downward trend do they? I wouldn't say they've been half as erratic as sales of the other consoles:

2004.jpg

Radio head wrong numbers, we are talking about japan.

It's hard to show a downward trend when you are already almost at rock bottom. The system is extremely cheap, and that has kept it from bombing out like the xbox. And still offers some good games that meet the regions expectations.

CVXFREAK Did you say 800k? I think I said 600k or 650k, I don't remember, but I'd hardly say that would be inaccurate.

I remember how you were excited be the increase of sales, and mocked my lower expectations for this year. Do you really think I'm wrong at this point? Even last weeks sales don't change much.

cvxfreak

Yes, I said 800K, because Nintendo said they would be launching a new product this year, and I took that and the PSP into account.

I didn't mock you for your low estimates, I simply disagreed with you. Plain and simple.

I'm not sure if you're right or wrong at this point because last year taught me to wait until the very last minute to see how things go.

But if you are right for instance, then that's good. You would have successfully predicted the fate of one system for the year, and that's fine and dandy; we've all done it before.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
The funny thing is "something around 3 million" would be more accurate.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
And I thought no one was worse than blackstallion

Anyway, I'm happy to see improved Nintendo sales. They need to start getting sales like this often now especially if they want to stay close competitiors with MS

Top Bottom