• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Dec 12 - 18

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Culex said:
Apparently .PNG files do look much better. I always thought it was a derivative of bitmap files and avoided it.
It's lossless but you can reduce colors to arbitary numbers and it uses good compression. Also supports alpha channel.

pixelbox

PhoenixDark said:
Oh god...

It's not about Mario Kart and Nintendogs sequels. It's about a healthy mixture of established franchised re-visioned and innovative "non games" on one great system. Sure the PSP is going to have good games one day, but don't sit there saying the DS is just going to disappear or something. The DS is going to have some more great games, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Japan has responded to these non games very positively, and I doubt their interest will fade. They've been playing the same kinds of games with great graphics for years, and the DS is something brand new.

The DS' dominance cannot be shoved under a rug or discredited. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl hasn't even come out, and the DS is already breaking records. It's not slowing down anytime soon. And once Pokemon does come out...wow.

I never said the the ds will fade out. I was just saying the the psp won't fade out any time soon as some people think. I already know that it wont obviously. Time and time again the japanese say they hate the psp lineup but when they start to see the better games, sells will pickup significantly(not more than ds but atleast close enough to have ds lead by 1/3 and not 1/2) It's not about the "new type of games" it's better gameplay and psp has horrible games in japan. besides i live in the usa where the success of the ds in japan doesnt apply to me.

pixelbox

elostyle said:
cimg0987blub7wb.jpg

And I don't even have kids.
I know. kids cant have kids

P90

soundwave05 said:
Then again, if it were made by Apple, it may have sold more in Japan.

I'm doubtful of that, if the machine was the same only the name was different. Probably, Apple's machine wouldn't have a sticky square button and it would have had a hdd.

puck1337

phantomile co. said:
so who thinks they break 500k next week?

also, heirden, how about some more random facts and stats?
They'll get very close to 500k in each of the next two charts. Nintendo was really smart (and lucky) to launch this thing during a bit of a void in the Japanese market.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
pixelbox said:
DS is just having it's moment. I mean really, how many animal crossings, mario carts, and nintendogs sequels can you have without it getting old? How dumb can you get to do that? I know nintendo fans are mad about what happened to n64 and gc and what people have been saying about the psp but grow up. PSP isn't doing that bad in japan. Software sells show that the games are crap and people don't want them. I wouldn't buy them either. Psp needs a really good game to bring it out of the rut it's in. It's not over in japan it can still catch up close enough. One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it. And as for people who called DS a virtual boy is dead wrong...it was the revolution the whole time. No one wants to jump up and down like an idiot just to play a game. Nintediots enjoy the ds sells now, revolution will be the polar opposite. I just don't get how some can rejoice over mediocre kids games. That's the reason why it sells, people are buying it for their kids! sigh!

:lol :lol I've never seen someone quoted and owned so many times. What a nimrod.

phantomile co. said:

Who is they? Nintendo? If so, I think the DS is going to sell a bit over 500k. Maybe up to 520k, but they have to start running out of stock sometime soon. I don't think anywhere on earth a system could support this much sales week from week. If the DS keeps up at this pace into the new year the DS could have almost sold 2 million, and I don't think I have ever seen 2 million systems sold on one continent over a month span.

Once the Famitsu Top 100 charts come out for the year. I think the DS is going to dominate the Top 20 or so. Then not have too many in the lower part of the chart. It seems that the games never do moderately well. Just amazing or underwhelming. The only games I can see in the lower part of the charts are the two Naruto games. The first sold a little under 200k I think. The second a little over 100k. Well I just had an idea. I'm off to compile a chart of DS games.

Edit: Well I remembered that Dalthien did that already. Oh well. I'm just really bored right now.

mj1108

pixelbox said:
DS is just having it's moment. I mean really, how many animal crossings, mario carts, and nintendogs sequels can you have without it getting old? How dumb can you get to do that? I know nintendo fans are mad about what happened to n64 and gc and what people have been saying about the psp but grow up. PSP isn't doing that bad in japan. Software sells show that the games are crap and people don't want them. I wouldn't buy them either. Psp needs a really good game to bring it out of the rut it's in. It's not over in japan it can still catch up close enough. One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it. And as for people who called DS a virtual boy is dead wrong...it was the revolution the whole time. No one wants to jump up and down like an idiot just to play a game. Nintediots enjoy the ds sells now, revolution will be the polar opposite. I just don't get how some can rejoice over mediocre kids games. That's the reason why it sells, people are buying it for their kids! sigh!

Now we just need oogami and Deg in this thread and the trifecta of idiocy will be complete. :D

phantomile co. said:

I'd bet on 550k (maybe even 600k).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I still think you are all over-estimating the DS's selling power the week KHII comes out. KHII hype will probably boost PS2 sales and lower DS sales.

heidern

phantomile co. said:

Well the thing is, the DS as only it this top gear over the past month. Before that it was doing well, but not quite so ridiculous. But if these new record sales will bring new comparisons will flow aplenty. But there are a couple of random facts.
1) My keyboard is fucked with the "Esc" "alt" "h" and "g" keys busted.
2) the last Bandai game to sell a million was Tamagotchi on the original gameboy and before that Draonball Z on the Super Famicom.

I also think 500K is almost a lock at this point. The past 3 weeks the DS has been outdoing even high end expectations. The roof keeps being raised. 600K or even 700K seems possible at this point.

Oblivion

Hey, Kingdom Hearts 2 came out already right? Any news about good first day sales, pre-oders, etc?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
phantomile co. said:

I said this the week before and everyone goes "Na it wont happen" :lol Anywho would'nt they be running out of DS's by now?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oblivion said:
Hey, Kingdom Hearts 2 came out already right? Any news about good first day sales, pre-oders, etc?
We probably won't get sales until next year now.

mj1108

VOOK said:
I said this the week before and everyone goes "Na it wont happen" :lol Anywho would'nt they be running out of DS's by now?

Which begs the question, has Nintendo even said how many systems they can produce a month???

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Stopsign said:
If the DS keeps up at this pace into the new year the DS could have almost sold 2 million, and I don't think I have ever seen 2 million systems sold on one continent over a month span.
The GBA broke 2 million each December for 2002, 2003, and 2004 in the NPD charts.

ioi

Banned
jj984jj said:
I still think you are all over-estimating the DS's selling power the week KHII comes out. KHII hype will probably boost PS2 sales and lower DS sales.

KH II may well boost PS2, although only slightly, but why should it affect DS sales in any way?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Stopsign said:
Who is they? Nintendo? If so, I think the DS is going to sell a bit over 500k. Maybe up to 520k, but they have to start running out of stock sometime soon. I don't think anywhere on earth a system could support this much sales week from week. If the DS keeps up at this pace into the new year the DS could have almost sold 2 million, and I don't think I have ever seen 2 million systems sold on one continent over a month span.

I think Nintendo predicted this, maybe not -quite- to this level, but enough that they shouldn't have a shortage. They released two definite chart topper games (MK and AC) right next to each other in the busiest month. So I imagine they upped production to prepare. Plus I also imagine lots of late night shipments to stores while Iwata laughs and yells "fly monkeys! fly!"
Also, it's not often you hear about shortages with Nintendo hardware, even with the GBA, they're usually just there, not that I ever played too close attention.

According to Shinobi, KH2's first day performance was better than WE11 9 or SuperRobot Wars Alpha. If it carry the momentum after 2nd week just like WE9 and not SRW, it is possible to break 1 mil mark.

Oblivion

Michirou_53 said:
According to Shinobi, KH2's first day performance was better than WE11 9 or SuperRobot Wars Alpha. If it carry the momentum after 2nd week just like WE9 and not SRW, it is possible to break 1 mil mark.

How much did WE9 sell on its first day?

ioi

Banned
Back to DS for a bit, and I think something must be said about the amazing NINE potential million sellers in the next couple of months:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japtotals.php?console=DS

Animal Crossing ~1.9m
Train Your Brain ~1.5m
Nintendongs ~1.3m
Brain Flex ~1.3m
Wario Ware Touched ~1.1m
Mario Kart DS ~1.1m
Tamogotchi ~1.1m
Super Mario 64 DS ~1.0m

And Brain Training 2- who knows?? 2m maybe?

Plus
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Blue 800k
Jump Super Stars 600k
Daredemo Asobi Taisen 600k
Mario & Luigi 2 500k

AniHawk

ioi said:
Back to DS for a bit, and I think something must be said about the amazing NINE potential million sellers in the next couple of months:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japtotals.php?console=DS

Animal Crossing ~1.9m
Train Your Brain ~1.5m
Nintendongs ~1.3m
Brain Flex ~1.3m
Wario Ware Touched ~1.1m
Mario Kart DS ~1.1m
Tamogotchi ~1.1m
Super Mario 64 DS ~1.0m

And Brain Training 2- who knows?? 2m maybe?

Plus
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Blue 800k
Jump Super Stars 600k
Daredemo Asobi Taisen 600k
Mario & Luigi 2 500k

Especially impressive considering how many million sellers have been out in Japan on ALL systems in the last five years (let alone handhelds... Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, RSE, and Super Mario Bros. and that's been IT).

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
if you are interested :)
Top selling games in France:

1. Need For Speed Most Wanted (EA, PS2)
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (Konami, PS2)
3. Nintendogs : Labrador (Nintendo, NDS)
4. Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories (Take 2, PSP)
5. Pokémon Emeraude (Nintendo, GBA)
6. Nintendogs : Teckel (Nintendo, NDS)
7. Harry Potter et la Coupe de feu (EA, PS2)
8. Mario Smash Football (Nintendo, GC)
9. Mario Kart DS (Nintendo, NDS)
10. Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi (Atari, PS2)

pretty impressive DS and Nintendogs show

Those French charts are very impressive, especially when you consider that there's both a Nintendogs and MK bundle. Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendogs was actually the biggest seller all told in France this Christmas. It's simply amazing the effect those little dogs have had on DS sales worldwide.

If they really wanted Nintendogs to be a smash hit they should have let the dogs go two seperate routes. One you can train your dog to be a prize show dog. Then the other you could train it to be an attack dog and send it off to war. Then use him in a Dynasty Warriors type gameplay or like in Command and Conquer where you could use attack dogs to bite off enemy soldiers head. I loved sending a few dogs into the enemy base and demolishing their troops early on. :lol

neo2046

magazine Famitsu Xbox360 reveal the sales numbers of the first wave X360 titles

RR6 29891
Perfect Dark Zero 14897
NFS 6842
FIFA 06 2494
Tetris the Grand Master Ace 1531
Every Party 641

P90

neo2046 said:

RR6 29891
Perfect Dark Zero 14897
NFS 6842
FIFA 06 2494
Tetris the Grand Master Ace 1531
Every Party 641

:(

:lol :lol

All you gaming journalists out there, you need to ask Peter Moore about this. "So, the 360 launch was a failure. Where do you go from here?"

polg

hey, any reports on first day (thu 22) sales?
I've been on holidays, and a bit disconnected from the universe (stupid apartment doesn't have Wifi OR internet at all)...

polg am cry

neo2046 said:

RR6 29891

Hey, Ridge Racer did better in Japan than in the US! Microsoft is giving Japanese gamers what they want! :D

Top Bottom