• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Dec 12 - 18

polg

pixelbox said:
DS is just having it's moment. I mean really, how many animal crossings, mario carts, and nintendogs sequels can you have without it getting old? How dumb can you get to do that? I know nintendo fans are mad about what happened to n64 and gc and what people have been saying about the psp but grow up. PSP isn't doing that bad in japan. Software sells show that the games are crap and people don't want them. I wouldn't buy them either. Psp needs a really good game to bring it out of the rut it's in. It's not over in japan it can still catch up close enough. One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it. And as for people who called DS a virtual boy is dead wrong...it was the revolution the whole time. No one wants to jump up and down like an idiot just to play a game. Nintediots enjoy the ds sells now, revolution will be the polar opposite. I just don't get how some can rejoice over mediocre kids games. That's the reason why it sells, people are buying it for their kids! sigh!
pmre.gif

pixelbox said:
DS is just having it's moment. I mean really, how many animal crossings, mario carts, and nintendogs sequels can you have without it getting old? How dumb can you get to do that? I know nintendo fans are mad about what happened to n64 and gc and what people have been saying about the psp but grow up. PSP isn't doing that bad in japan. Software sells show that the games are crap and people don't want them. I wouldn't buy them either. Psp needs a really good game to bring it out of the rut it's in. It's not over in japan it can still catch up close enough. One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it. And as for people who called DS a virtual boy is dead wrong...it was the revolution the whole time. No one wants to jump up and down like an idiot just to play a game. Nintediots enjoy the ds sells now, revolution will be the polar opposite. I just don't get how some can rejoice over mediocre kids games. That's the reason why it sells, people are buying it for their kids! sigh!

From now on, can you please post in every sales thread, that really made me smile... I think.... err, I love you.

AniHawk

Shinoobi said:
Hi. Just curious, haven't really been following along, but how is the DS doing in other regions?

Apparently it's been doing pretty damn well in the UK thanks to the Nintendogs bundle, which bodes well for the rest of Europe. It's been a hot holiday gift in NA as well.

koam

Shinoobi said:
Hi. Just curious, haven't really been following along, but how is the DS doing in other regions?

DS just started beating out the PSP in the US a couple of months back. Overall it has sold more than the PSP but they are close.

Europe, DS is in the lead overall but I'm not sure who is selling at a faster rate right now.

Worldwide, the DS is in the lead by a couple million or so (probably a lot more by now)

Jonnyram said:
DS 408,770
PSP 95,689
PS2 55,342
GBASP 19,098
GC 17,849
GBM 14,432
Xbox360 8,623
GBA 416
Xbox 182

OMFG!

Are those DS numbers the highest non-launch weekly totals ever? I've never seen the like. It's unfreakingbelievable.

And Holy shit as the 360. I thought we were seeing a rise in interest for this thing according to all of those surveys. That number is incredibly weak and I don't want to hear excuses about DOA. Those numbers are beyond people waiting for software. They are abject rejection.

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
OMFG!

Are those DS numbers the highest non-launch weekly totals ever? I've never seen the like. It's unfreakingbelievable.

And Holy shit as the 360. I thought we were seeing a rise in interest for this thing according to all of those surveys. That number is incredibly weak and I don't want to hear excuses about DOA. Those numbers are beyond people waiting for software. They are abject rejection.

The thing about DoA is that it'll launch around the time hardware sales are at their highest. First week of January usually > most weeks of the year. I expect some interesting threads outta that.

And yes, DS sales are unbelievable. There's just no other way to describe them. No one could have predicted this success with a straight face.

Monorojo

Banned
He has a bit of a point, people who think that DS sales will somehow have a positive effect on Rev sales are really reaching....Nintendo has always been successful in the handheld market and the whole time has been floundering terribly in the Home console sector.

Just becuase one "new" idea worked in a sector where Nintendo's success has been unmatched for the past 15 years doesnt mean another "new" idea will help nintendo in a sector they have been failing(now dont take this word too harshly) at since the N64.

Thats really stretching it.

AniHawk

Monorojo said:
He has a bit of a point, people who think that DS sales will somehow have a positive effect on Rev sales are really reaching....Nintendo has always been successful in the handheld market and the whole time has been floundering terribly in the Home console sector.

Just becuase one "new" idea worked in a sector where Nintendo's success has been unmatched for the past 15 years doesnt mean another "new" idea will help nintendo in a sector they have been failing(now dont take this word too harshly) at since the N64.

It's a bit of a wild card. Personally, I think the VC part of Revolution will drive sales better than the wandchucks. I'll have to see the games for myself and how they work before making a final decision though.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
PhoenixDark said:
Listen to the apostle GAF. He speaks the Word, unabridged.

The DS is owning, period. Next year is going to be a whirlwind. When you look at the release list from this year, it's impressive, but not as impressive as next years. For instance, this year the DS had:

-Nintendogs
-Mario Kart
-Animal Crossing
-Jump Superstars

Those were the games most people expected to be huge hits. Notice, I did not include the non games, because most people didn't expect them to do that well; no one thought Brain Training would get close to 1million.

Now, lets look at next years list:

-Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
-Super Mario Bros.
-Zelda DS
-FF3

Of course there are many more huge titles coming out in 2006 such as Children of Mana and Tales of the Tempest, but I put special emphasis on those 4 because they'll most likely be the biggest titles. Pokemon is going to be the title that's going to force a large chunk of the GBA crowd to switch to the DS. When it comes to "DS vs PSP", it all comes down to who can convince the largest amount of the GBA gamers to join; the GBA's total sales are stunning, and it's not like these people just disappeared. I am confident that the DS, with Pokemon's help, will secure this crowd. But that's not all. With the help of the non games, the DS is actually bringing brand new people into the handheld market.

At this rate, it would be an understatement to declare things are going great for the DS. The handheld is putting up PS2-like numbers in its first year, and it shows no sign of stopping.

One question, will the new DS Pokemon games be online?

Mihail

Banned
Monorojo said:

Well, they're not arguing that Nintendo's success with the DS will boost their performance with the Rev -- they're saying that the DS's sales are indicative of how a non-traditional gaming device will fare.

While you're correct in your counter-argument that the handheld sector is very different from the home console sector, you should not forget this: many, many of those DSs weren't sold to an existing handheld userbase -- they created a large part of the market. And I think that's something the Rvltn will definitely do in Japan.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
PhoenixDark said:
WiFi, 16 players online. This was announced last year.
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl has just become one my most anticipated titles holy shit.

I wonder what Nintendo will do with the Nintendogs series now?

Will they make a Nintendogs 2 next year? Or something with other animals altogether.

In addition to New Super Mario Bros., Zelda DS, etc. Nintendo probably has a shit-ton of "non-games" now in development for the DS and Revolution, which they'll reveal after the holiday rush.

Galactic Fork

PhoenixDark said:
WiFi, 16 players online. This was announced last year.

16? Holy crap! Then yes, I believe you are correct about it grabbing a large portion of GBA hold outs. I'd also see the online play alone grabbing a lot of people who'd never played pokemon.

Galactic Fork

soundwave05 said:
I wonder what Nintendo will do with the Nintendogs series now?

Will they make a Nintendogs 2 next year? Or something with other animals altogether.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made one with cats, according to Hideki Konno in an interview:

"To tell the truth, we were already starting to develop a cat-based game at the outset of this project. So we already have the cat models, voice data and so on."

interview link: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60624

Though I could see a cat game as being frightfully boring.

*insert Nintendogs boringness joke here*

apotema

pixelbox said:

EMO Kid: How could this happened to me, I made my mistakes, got nowhere to run, the night goes on as I'm fading away, I'm sick of this life, I just wanna screeeeeeeeam, HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME

Anyway, we all want DS to shatter all records, dont we??? I think we will be very surprised when the Famitsu Top 100 FOR 2005 gets released, because of the LTD numbers for the DS medium sized games like:

Kirby, Yoshi, Another Code, Pac Pix, Harvest Moon, Egg Monster Hero, Meteos, Power Pocket Koushien and 8, Slime Mori Mori, Naruto RPG and 2, Dragon Ball Z, Mushiking, Pokemon Trozei, Super Princess Peach, Daredemo (which is not that medium), Sonic Rush and Nintendogs as separate games

apotema

I forgot:

Yugioh
Phoenix Wright
Lullmetal alchemist
Rockman EXE DS
Castlevania DoS
Ouendan (really deserves it)
Famicom Wars
Gundam
and Crocket

Even the GBA games will get this benefit

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Monorojo said:

I think that there is some truth to the idea that the DS' success will help the Rev.

Mindshare is very important. People expected the PSP to sluaghter the DS because of the Playstation name. While that didn't exactly happen the way people expected, the system is still doing very well. It's success is because of the PS name. If the PSP was exactly the same (same design, power, games, everything) except it was made by MS and called the XBP does anyone think that it would have sold 95k last week?

I don't think that the REV will be a success just because of the DS, but Nintendo is rapidly rebuilding their brandname in Japan. I don't know how much it will help, but it definately won't hurt.

You can also assume that 3rd parties are looking at the success of it and taking notes. This will make it a whole lot easier for Nintendo to sell their vision of the Rev to other developers.

JJConrad said:
I think that there is some truth to the idea that the DS' success will help the Rev.

Mindshare is very important. People expected the PSP to sluaghter the DS because of the Playstation name. While that didn't exactly happen the way people expected, the system is still doing very well. It's success is because of the PS name. If the PSP was exactly the same (same design, power, games, everything) except it was made by MS and called the XBP does anyone think that it would have sold 95k last week?

I don't think that the REV will be a success just because of the DS, but Nintendo is rapidly rebuilding their brandname in Japan. I don't know how much it will help, but it definately won't hurt.

You can also assume that 3rd parties are looking at the success of it and taking notes. This will make it a whole lot easier for Nintendo to sell their vision of the Rev to other developers.

Then again, if it were made by Apple, it may have sold more in Japan.

Jiggy

I can't believe I just read through 11 pages and didn't see a single "Nintendo is teh d00med." :(

Still, pixelbox's post is classic enough to make up for my wasted time. From implying that Animal Crossing and Nintendogs are developing sequelitis with all of 2 and 1 entries in their respective series, to saying that the PSP is "close enough" to the DS in sales, to stating that Sony systems don't need upgrades for ten years, to arguing that the PSP only needs a--singular--really good game to compete, to some kind of attempt at gaming philosophy that applies more to DDR than the Revolution controller ("no one wants to jump up and down"), that was just a nonstop sequence of hilarity.

Really and truly.

Monorojo

Banned
LTD's

Sony Ps2 22,015,893
Gameboy Advance 9,566,074
Gameboy SP 5,639,553
Nintendo DS 4,659,143
Nintendo Gamecube 3,902,606
Sony PsP 2,410,889
XBOX 472,189
Gameboy Micro 384,593
XBOX 360 52,593

AniHawk

Monorojo said:
LTD's

Sony Ps2 22,015,893
Gameboy Advance 9,566,074
Gameboy SP 5,639,553
Nintendo DS 4,659,143
Nintendo Gamecube 3,902,606
Sony PsP 2,410,889
XBOX 472,189
Gameboy Micro 384,593
XBOX 360 52,593

Not that I'm calling you a liar, but where did you get the rest of the MC sales from?

heidern

moku said:
And this begs up a follow-up question to your point;

Is Sony's position as the #1 console maker in Japan in a very dangerous place right now?
The point is, this is rendering that question to be not all that important. The DS train is only going to grow bigger. Look at Animal Crossing. The first version sold around 6-700K in Japan on the gamecube. This one is on track for 1m, or 1.5M. The first sequel can often grow massively. So consider Nintendogs. The first will hit 1M after arriving when there were less than 2M DSs and was unknown. If Nintendogs 2 comes next Christmas there will be 10 million DS owners, first week sales will be huge and people will be running around with bark mode networking in full effect as loads of people have it from the word go. Whats to stop this version growing like Animal Crossing did and selling 2 million or even 3 million?

Compare to the console market which is steadily dying. Software sales are down 50% or more from their peaks. Why shouldnt that continue? Why shouldnt that begin to translate into less hardware sold? The ps2 launched to massive hype when the market was booming. This time ps3 isnt. The price of the hardware and of the games will be higher. Most franchises generally have declined greatly, even Final Fantasy. Dev times and costs have increased so less games will be made. There is now more competition for 3rd parties what with the Rev offering an alternative and the DS being one too. A decline of the ps3 from the 20M of the ps2 to be honest seems natural. A 25% decline to 15M units would not be in any way outrageous given the current state of the market.

What will happen to DS when games appealing to the playstation generation like Resident Evil or the Square rpgs arrive? What about when Pokemon hits? Or old school Mario? Or maybe more new so called non-games? At the end of next year there could be 12M DSs and a year later 18M dont you think? how many DSs do you think they can sell? 20 million? 25 million? 30 million? If those kind of numbers happen, which is possible, how much does it really matter if the Revolution can challenge ps3 for the 15M units sold crown?

I don't think Sony is in trouble.

There will always be a big mainstream audience for the type of product they create ... what Nintendo's doing really can't be stopped.

That's just like when a basketball player scores 50 points on your team no matter what you do against him.

You just tip your hat afterwards and say "good game".

Selling 400,000 and possibly 500,000-600,000 next week for a non-launch week ... I don't think this has been done in Japan since the Famicom if ever.

It does however look like PSP is basically doomed to be a no.2 handheld in Japan though. The DS might even triple the PSP's userbase by next summer. It wouldn't surprise me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Monorojo said:
Got them from a poster (aronnov reborn ) @ Gamefaqs.
Looking at the PS2 number I'll tell you exactly how he got that.

PS2's shipped as of the end of September = 21.70 million
PS2's sold since then = 315,893
Add them together = 22,015,893 :lol

quetz67

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Actually I think DOA4 will move some hardware.

But the latest survey I read wasnt really positive for xbox 360. I never understood how some people had hope for a console with the predecessor being a total failure (in that country).

Did they really think making it look less like a child coffin and the mere existence of Mistwalker will make millions of japanese buy that thing?

from Infoplant (sorry, german):

1. a) Wollen Sie die PlayStation3 kaufen?
- 12,0 Prozent: Ich plane, die PlayStation3 zu kaufen.
- 63,0 Prozent: Ja.
- 25,0 Prozent: Nein.
(Antworten von 100 Personen von 10 - 19 Jahre.)

1. b) Wollen Sie die PlayStation3 kaufen?
- 10,0 Prozent: Ich plane, die PlayStation3 zu kaufen.
- 50,0 Prozent: Ja.
- 40,0 Prozent: Nein.
(Antworten von 100 Personen von 30 - 39 Jahren.)

2. a) Wollen Sie die Xbox 360 kaufen?
- 0,0 Prozent: Ich habe schon eine Xbox 360.
- 1,0 Prozent: Ich plane, die Xbox 360 zu kaufen.
- 26,0 Prozent: Ich denke über einen Kauf nach.
- 73,0 Prozent: Nein.

2. b) Wollen Sie die Xbox 360 kaufen?
- 0,0 Prozent: Ich habe schon eine Xbox 360.
- 1,0 Prozent: Ich plane, die Xbox 360 zu kaufen.
- 29,0 Prozent: Ich denke über einen Kauf nach.
- 70,0 Prozent: Nein.
(Antworten von 100 Personen von 30 - 39 Jahren.)

3. a) Wollen Sie Nintendo Revolution kaufen?
- 5,0 Prozent: Ich plane, Revolution zu kaufen.
- 34,0 Prozent: Ja.
- 61,0 Prozent: Nein.

3. b) Wollen Sie Nintendo Revolution kaufen?
- 3,0 Prozent: Ich plane, Revolution zu kaufen.
- 26,0 Prozent: Ja.
- 71,0 Prozent: Nein.
(Antworten von 100 Personen von 30 - 39 Jahre.)

ioi

Banned
I think the whole Revolution doing well because of DS point is a valid one.

DS isn't just another gameboy. Yes, Nintendo always have known how to dominate handheld sales but the DS is different. It's a different forumla, a different approach. It's not Mario Kart, Mario, Pokemon that is driving sales, it's Brain Training, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs.

They have delivered a cheap, innovative piece of hardware, sidestepped the attraction of adding multi-media capabilities and so on and supported it with some damn good software. How much do you think Animal Crossing cost to develop? Nintendogs? Brain Training? But the games are fantastic and they are tapping into new audiences.

Almost every single franchise in Japan has declined. Sales are down across the board. Yes PS2 sold as much hardware as PS in Japan, but only 2/3 the software! (200m vs 300m). GBA sold a lot less software for it's userbase than GB and GC is down from N64.

Final Fantasy games can 'only' expect to sell 2-2.5m, but back down to early SNES kind of numbers, from 3.5-4m for VII and VIII.

Mario games are down, Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong games, Tekken, Resident Evil down dramatically from versions 1,2,3 on PS.

Even the big two- Pokemon and Dragon Quest are a bit down on previous performances.

Japan has been in a slump for a while and been in need of something new to kick-start it.

If you go back a couple of pages to the old Famitsu graphs I put up from 94-97 you can see a bit of history in the making there, PS and Saturn were neck and neck for first 15 months or so and then suddenly the PS just went crazy (probably after the announcement of Final Fantasy) and things haven't looked back since.

Well I think we're seeing similar stuff now with DS. A system has NEVER sold this much over xmas before (although I'd like to see PS 97 numbers just to be sure) and I think Nintendo's new direction is really working.

Girls are playing Nintendogs, older gamers are playing Brain Training, new gamers are trying Animal Crossing, younger gamers are playing Gentle Brain Training and Tamogotchi, traditional gamers are getting Mario Kart and Mario 64- with the breadth of software out there and the idea of making lots of small innovative games on a low budget they are really doing well.

The obvious consequence of this is that many other experimental games like Electroplankton, Polarium, Touch golf, and even Kirby and Yoshi haven't sold that well, and probably worse than the worse selling GBA / GC / N64 / GB games. But they are taking risks. Some are working, some aren't.

But it's great to see such innovation, so many new games and ideas coming along. Just like we had with early Playstation in some ways. Nintendo were all old and set in their ways to some degree with the same old franchises and PS offered something different (this isn't taking away from the fact that Mario 64, Zelda etc are some of the best games ever made).

Now most of the market is pretty stangant. World Soccer 9, Powerful Pro Baseball 12, Dynasty Warriors 5, Mario Party 6, Naruto 4- everyone is guilty of it and as much as I love Nintendo I thought they were fairly lazy with Gamecube (especially games like Wave Race, 1080, Golf, Tennis, Starfox, F-Zero)- none were as good as the N64 versions.

The DS is changing all that. It's putting the innovation back into games, it's great to see experiments like Nintendogs and Brain Training do so well, and as they are continuing the same philosophy with Revolution- cheap innovative games, lots of risks, bold new ideas, new control system then I have to applaud them and say that I think that they are really onto a winner.

cvxfreak

I think you're wrong about Mario 64 and Zelda not being some the best games ever made. I think the fact SM64 is the best selling game of the previous generation says a lot about its quality. OoT is up there, too.

ioi

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I think you're wrong about Mario 64 and Zelda not being some the best games ever made. I think the fact SM64 is the best selling game of the previous generation says a lot about its quality. OoT is up there, too.

Who me?

No, no that's exactly what I meant. They are two of the best games ever made and had a hell of an impact when they came out- you can see how strong N64 sales started and there was a huge boost in Xmas 98 in Japan.

The problem was that in Japan, the PS was offering so many new games and was really building momentum, while the N64 suffered with a huge lack of games (western support on the N64 was far better than in Japan- Rare back at their peak is the classic example).

That's what I mean. I loved the N64 and still find it hard to understand why it did so poorly compared to PS. But look back to 96-97 at the games you got- Parapper the Rapper, Crash Bandicoot, Devil Dice (huge in Japan) Final Fantasy Tactics, Everybody's Golf- they were all brand new at the time and as good as Zelda and Mario 64 were, the sheer depth of the PS catalogue and the fact it appealed to so many is why it did better.

Now with the DS, Nintendo seem to be getting it all right (in Japan at least). We still have the fantastic Mario Bros, Zeldas and so on (a 3D Zelda i hope) mario 64 etc, but there's also much more depth to the games now, and lots of risks and new games that are attracting in new gamers, much like PS did back in 96-97 in Japan.

And as with most of these things, the US and Europe normally follow on about 2-3 years later.

Here's a silly statistic. Some of you may remember that one of my lesser-used spreadsheet values is the amount of person-weeks each system has had. Essentially start from scratch, and each week add the previous week's LTD and half of this week's sales to get an estimate of how much it's been owned. Somewhat useful for playing around more with attach rates. Anyway, from there it's possible to divide a system's total weeks by the current lifetime sales to see the average time each of those systems has been owned. The DS has always been slightly ahead of the PSP in that department, until now. Due to the large influx of new users, the average DS has been owned 29.2 weeks to the average PSP's 30.3.

Frankfurter said:
Just btw.: the DS/PSP LTD marketshare is 65.89%/34.11% (up from 64.74%) and the last week it was higher than that for DS was the week ending with February the 27th (with 66.68%).
Yeah, the percentage share chart I like. *shrug* I just like the way it dips down from 100%, then seems to reach a near-equilibrium with slow small changes.

If next week is anything like this week, DS will go back above twice the PSP.

20051223dsshare.gif

Frankfurter said:
@ioi At the moment, it seems to be nearly impossible for DS to not top 2002 record of the GBA, doesn't it?
Wasn't that something like 4.2 million, though? With two weeks left in the year, DS would have to sell 500,000 in each.

Unless you just mean December?

Acrylamid said:
Someone should have started a GBA (classic)-XBox comparison months ago. :(
Here's one for 2005.

20051223xboxvsgba.gif

Culex said:
Chart updated again. I had to change the scale quite a bit to fit in the increased sales
Chart is great as always, Culex, but one technical suggestion (and this goes for any chartsters out there). For something with low colors like that, making it a GIF rather than JPEG would make it smaller and clearer.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
JoshuaJSlone said:
Chart is great as always, Culex, but one technical suggestion (and this goes for any chartsters out there). For something with low colors like that, making it a GIF rather than JPEG would make it smaller and clearer.
PNG for the win.

elostyle said:
PNG for the win.
Yeah, pretty much. A few years back I was having troubles with PNGs not displaying in Internet Explorer for some reason, and began defaulting to GIF for online purposes. Totally would've saved a combined 5K for those two images, though. :lol

Culex

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, pretty much. A few years back I was having troubles with PNGs not displaying in Internet Explorer for some reason, and began defaulting to GIF for online purposes. Totally would've saved a combined 5K for those two images, though. :lol

Apparently .PNG files do look much better. I always thought it was a derivative of bitmap files and avoided it.

Top Bottom