• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2015 (May 18 - May 24)

mclem

maybe the leaked 145 is 145k for Splatoon, that would mean a 90%+ ST of the first shipment, leaked by the same source.

Possible, but it would seem oddly inconsistent to do that in ks when other numbers are done in single units.

crinale

The Witcher 3 had stock problems last week. 75% drop isn't crazy.

Crinale is pointing that 145 isn't One, but Splatoon 145k
..or 160K, either little above or below of Bloodborne. Good number either way.
What doesn't make sense is Phychopass number..

Dragon Ball > Rhythm Paradise The Best+
Don't make me laugh

Rhythm Tengoku seems like to be overestimated here, just recently hanging up Amazon chart, pretty low preorders on COMG while DBZ are good (but Famitsu low score will have some Impact on sales?)

Alrus

Rhythm Tengoku seems like to be overestimated here, just recently hanging up Amazon chart, pretty low preorders on COMG while DBZ are good (but Famitsu low score will have some Impact on sales?)

It's just that historically Rhythm Heaven games sell really really well. But considering they're usually not huge early seller but more long legged titles I wouldn't be surprised if DBZ sold better in June.

hiska-kun

Rhythm Paradise could be overestimated, but still, no way The Best+ will be below DBZ

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't see how 145k is "average" at all.

you misse the "compared to the rumors" part of my message, maybe.
With a 150k first day shipment, the secondo shipment, the "90%+" ST leak, the "comparable to Smash" from Tsutaya, we were seeing a debut closer to 200k than 150k, while for MC we will probably have 145k.

L~A

Media Create:

Wii U 17,713
Vita 12,517
PS4 12,272
New3DS LL 11,170
New3DS 4,129
PS3 3,069
3DS 1,418
3DS LL 919
Vita TV 529
Xbox One 522

Splatoon: 144k (looks like the new shipment on Friday was part of the first one)
Mirai: 41k

you misse the "compared to the rumors" part of my message, maybe.
With a 150k first day shipment, the secondo shipment, the "90%+" ST leak, the "comparable to Smash" from Tsutaya, we were seeing a debut closer to 200k than 150k, while for MC we will probably have 145k.

Even compared to rumors, 145k seems fine. 200k was always very, very optimistic.

Edit - there we go, 144k

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Media Create:

Wii U 17,713
Vita 12,517
PS4 12,272
New3DS LL 11,170
New3DS 4,129
PS3 3,069
3DS 1,418
3DS LL 919
Vita TV 529
Xbox One 522

Splatoon: 144k (looks like the new shipment on Friday was part of the first one)

Good bump for the Wii U, imho, if we look back at previous bumps from other softwares. Still a little burnt by Splatoon "hyped" rumors, but that's a very good debut.

Even compared to rumors, 145k seems fine. 200k was always very, very optimistic.

Edit - there we go, 144k

200k was very optimistic, but "closer to 200k than 150k" wasn't: it's clear that there was some mess with "shipments" and "leaks" imho. Let's hope that the demand is still strong and that the game can hang on in the charts, to really have a strong new IP. The 1st week debut alone isn't enough imho, to set that bar.

Media Create:

Wii U 17,713
Vita 12,517
PS4 12,272
New3DS LL 11,170
New3DS 4,129
PS3 3,069
3DS 1,418
3DS LL 919
Vita TV 529
Xbox One 522

well I hate it that the friday shipment was part of the first
Nintendo sucks at this

17k to lead home consoles in JP sucks too
Sony get your act together

test_account

XP-39C²
well I hate it that the friday shipment was part of the first
Nintendo sucks at this
Not long ago, Media Create tracked one game that was over 100% of the first shipment compared to what Famitsu said that the sellthrough was. That made me wonder if the shipment numbers that are reported might not be 100% accurate as well.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Good show for Splatoon! Seems Japan is quite warm to it on the online front of the game as well, seems to be quite lively.

I'm really charmed by the game myself too, extremely entertaining in an innovative way!

mclem

Media Create:

Wii U 17,713
Vita 12,517
PS4 12,272
New3DS LL 11,170
New3DS 4,129
PS3 3,069
3DS 1,418
3DS LL 919
Vita TV 529
Xbox One 522

Wii U just edges out the 3DS family by 77 units.

69wpm

CGk-2o5UIAAF_pP.png

Source

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What are the best-selling Wii U games during their first week in Japan?

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 325.892 / NEW <80,90%>
[WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776) - 227.527 / NEW
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 163.528 / NEW
[WIU] Splatoon 144k / NEW
[WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.12.08} (¥4.800) - 106.388 / NEW
[WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985) - 92.720 / NEW <48,45%>
[WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935) - 72.121 / NEW

Daknight

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 325.892 / NEW <80,90%>
[WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776) - 227.527 / NEW
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 163.528 / NEW
[WIU] Splatoon 144k / NEW
[WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.12.08} (¥4.800) - 106.388 / NEW
[WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985) - 92.720 / NEW <48,45%>
[WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935) - 72.121 / NEW

Didn't Xenoblade X sold more in it's first week than Nintendo Land? Shouldn't it be in this list instead of Nintendo Land then?

I don't expect a resurgence in Japan anytime soon.

They have the lowest fertility rate in the developed world, with a combined (male + female) median age of approximately 46.5, the oldest in the developed world, whilst also continuing to age the fastest (although may soon be overtaken by Taiwan).

An economy that has long been in either a state of recession or stagnation, coupled with the aforementioned demographic issues that are only going to get worse, there is no recovery in sight.

The country may have a population of ~128 million people, but the break down and the trends of demography sure aren't favorable for a market that relies heavily on the intake of previously unexposed people (i.e new generations).

Japan is dead, for the foreseeable future. I'm sure this will come across as a controversial opinion to some, given the ultra-left views of some members on this forum and the hatred for anything that might be considered conservative (like... breeding above replacement rate), but it's a genuine factor in the death of the industry in Japan that I don't think is often considered. The console market always has a chance to be revitalized in a country that's been as tech-savvy as Japan, for so long, but the rate of population replacement simply hinders that potential.

duckroll

The fertility rate and the economy aren't really factors which directly contribute to the decline in popularity of console games. They're problems the country faces for lots of practical reasons, but even if they weren't there, the trend would move away from consoles anyway. Being able to game on the go with as little fuss as possible is what marked the decline of consoles in Japan.

Stuff like Pokemon was probably the very beginning. Then there was the DS introducing the wave of casual games with higher production values and quality than before, and again with the PSP introducing full 3D games with multiplayer like Monster Hunter. This introduced a new culture of children born in the 90s and 00s, who grew up with these experiences as their formative ones in terms of what gaming is, rather than those born in the decades before who grew attached to the idea of a TV box via the Famicom.

Now with smartphones, we're seeing whole new generations growing up without needing a dedicated gaming device at all. They can play whatever their friends are playing, whenever they want, and without even paying for a specific game. They just download whatever everyone else is talking about, and if they actually like it, they can spend a few dollars every week or every month to get extra items/characters, just like trading card games of old.

In a country like Japan, where space for many is limited, and students and those gainfully employed are out most of the time, and public transportation is convenient enough so most people don't need to drive, having gaming on the go is a great form of entertainment. Paying a few hundred bucks for a dedicated box you can only play games at home with, at the expense of anyone else in the family who might want to watch the TV, is a very unattractive prospect.

Nyoro SF

Completely agreed.

Which is why the laughable notion of "console software stepping up and stopping the trend" is gut-wrenchingly hilarious to hear. The moment people accept that it's a feature trend, and not a software one, is when all the pieces fall into place.

Ultimately convenience and cheap cost trumps quality in all forms of media.

Top Bottom