• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Dec 12 - 18

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Uhh... guys... Rock Man already said he would take over...

dspsp.JPG

:lol

CVXFREAK said:
Man, the N64 in Japan... started off so promising that first week, and then it fizzled.

Heh, yeah I remember reading that it was so popular at first that all the different multicolored controllers were sold out, despite there not being a single 2 player game :lol

ioi

Banned
One last comparison for you to all argue about, PS vs PSP:

Code:
[b]PS			PSP	[/b]
82	82		160	160
28	110		85	245
33	143		107	352
34	177		130	482
55	232		62	544
17	249		65	609
33	282		67	675
20	302		74	750
32	334		49	799
23	357		46	845
33	390		38	883
20	410		42	925
20	430		48	972
21	451		46	1019
19	470		44	1062
19	489		43	1105
27	516		34	1139
25	541		29	1168
21	562		29	1197
17	579		33	1230
17	596		39	1269
23	619		34	1303
37	656		25	1328
15	671		24	1352
15	686		22	1374
18	704		23	1398
19	723		21	1419
44	767		20	1440
42	809		21	1460
54	863		22	1482
53	916		20	1503
61	977		21	1524
52	1029		19	1543
46	1075		20	1563
37	1112		21	1583
27	1139		25	1608
26	1165		24	1632
22	1187		20	1653
19	1206		23	1675
17	1223		22	1697
15	1238		70	1768
13	1251		51	1818
10	1261		32	1850
10	1271		31	1881
9	1280		29	1910
7	1287		28	1938
10	1297		28	1966
21	1318		29	1996
18	1336		31	2027
15	1351		59	2085
12	1363		51	2137
17	1380		92	2229
21	1401		86	2315
26	1427		96	2411
38	1465			
68	1533			
57	1590			
93	1683			
32	1715			
25	1740			
24	1764			
22	1786			
26	1812			
34	1846			
35	1881			
25	1906			
23	1929			
21	1950			
12	1962			
76	2038			
88	2126			
57	2183			
44	2227			
59	2286			
66	2352			
47	2399			
36	2435			
32	2467			
47	2514			
26	2540			
38	2578			
58	2636			
87	2723			
64	2787			
75	2862			
72	2934			
70	3004			
98	3102			
96	3198			
117	3315			
88	3403			
78	3481			
75	3556			
58	3614			
77	3691			
81	3772			
62	3834			
44	3878			
62	3940			
84	4024			
48	4072			
51	4123			
37	4160			
50	4210			
71	4281			
91	4372			
130	4502			
143	4645			
156	4801			
161	4962			
83	5045			
72	5117			
77	5194			
139	5333

soundwave05 said:
Heh, yeah I remember reading that it was so popular at first that all the different multicolored controllers were sold out, despite there not being a single 2 player game :lol

Didnt wave race launch?

ioi

Banned
The_lascar said:
02-Feb-97 8 139 11
The launch of FF7 :eek:
And... after ? :(

Well thats where the figures end I'm afraid, other than to say that PS sales went into overdrive and it did about 5 million in the next 12 months so that is why I'm keen to see Xmas 97 numbers.

I guess the chart was meant to show N64 vs PS vs Saturn, but you can see that basically when FF VII was announced the PS vs Sat war was over and PS sales went into overdrive and by the time N64 came out it was all over!

Akia

jj984jj said:
Uhh... guys... Rock Man already said he would take over...

Culex's chart just rocks so much. Rock Man should continue doing his too. It would be wrong to leave Culex's chart un-updated.

It would also be nice if Culex could tell us the amount of weeks he is going to serve so we could add a countdown on the bottom corner of his chart.

Culex

Banned
Akia said:
Culex's chart just rocks so much. Rock Man should continue doing his too. It would be wrong to leave Culex's chart un-updated.

It would also be nice if Culex could tell us the amount of weeks he is going to serve so we could add a countdown on the bottom corner of his chart.

I wouldn't wait for me if I were you :lol

I'm going to be gone 18 months!

Khalid-S

so whats the total # for Dragon Quest slime 2 & Dragon Ball DS !! they were both at 75k last week did they reach the 100k yet :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Khalid-S said:
so whats the total # for Dragon Quest slime 2 & Dragon Ball DS !! they were both at 75k last week did they reach the 100k yet :)
It's not likely for SMMDQ2 becuase of where it is on the chart, but maybe DBZ did.

Hero

Culex said:
Just got home from work. I didn't realize the numbers were going to be early today :D

Chart updated again. I had to change the scale quite a bit to fit in the increased sales :)

JPHandHeldWar4.jpg

MAMMOTH DS sales! This is the second largest selling week for the DS since it's launch!

Another week with two more milestones broken, too. The DS has crossed the 3 million barrier for YTD and has now sold over 1 million more units than the PSP this year.

The DS is surely going to break 5 million before New Years'.

Nice Job Nintendo!

Yay for Easter!

But seriously, the DS is fucking unstoppable. 400K.

Non gamers unite.

Culex Chart is godly, the new one is utter burnage to the eyes.. the reds are all pinkish in some areas =[ and shit like yoshi touch and go is pointing to the PSP line, and the chart goes to only 450k

AHH MY EYES =[

(im mean sorry)

Spike

Heian-kyo said:
No one has ever answered this, and yet it's been said so many times, so I'll ask now: what on Earth makes people think the DS success in any way will translate to Revolution success? The console and handheld markets are completely different.

I'm not saying it will or it won't, but I find it kind of absurd that so many are thinking the DS success somehow equals Rev success simply because they both have new methods of control.

IMO it's not the touch screen or the dual screens that are the reason for the DS' success in Japan right now, it's the games, and the current mass appeal of non-traditional games like Nintendogs, Tamagotchi and Brain Training.

It's mostly about perceived brand loyalty, I guess. I mean, if people are buying a DS for the games, then you would have to assume that these same people would purchase another Nintendo console that offers these franchises.

I know that we should never assume anything, but you just never know what happens in this industry.

pixelbox

DS is just having it's moment. I mean really, how many animal crossings, mario carts, and nintendogs sequels can you have without it getting old? How dumb can you get to do that? I know nintendo fans are mad about what happened to n64 and gc and what people have been saying about the psp but grow up. PSP isn't doing that bad in japan. Software sells show that the games are crap and people don't want them. I wouldn't buy them either. Psp needs a really good game to bring it out of the rut it's in. It's not over in japan it can still catch up close enough. One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it. And as for people who called DS a virtual boy is dead wrong...it was the revolution the whole time. No one wants to jump up and down like an idiot just to play a game. Nintediots enjoy the ds sells now, revolution will be the polar opposite. I just don't get how some can rejoice over mediocre kids games. That's the reason why it sells, people are buying it for their kids! sigh!

KINGMOKU

pixelbox said:
DS is just having it's moment. I mean really, how many animal crossings, mario carts, and nintendogs sequels can you have without it getting old? How dumb can you get to do that? I know nintendo fans are mad about what happened to n64 and gc and what people have been saying about the psp but grow up. PSP isn't doing that bad in japan. Software sells show that the games are crap and people don't want them. I wouldn't buy them either. Psp needs a really good game to bring it out of the rut it's in. It's not over in japan it can still catch up close enough. One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it. And as for people who called DS a virtual boy is dead wrong...it was the revolution the whole time. No one wants to jump up and down like an idiot just to play a game. Nintediots enjoy the ds sells now, revolution will be the polar opposite. I just don't get how some can rejoice over mediocre kids games. That's the reason why it sells, people are buying it for their kids! sigh!
People take notice.

THIS IS DENIAL

cvxfreak

pixelbox said:

Ooo, something to laugh at in next year's Media Create holiday thread.

M3wThr33

Banned
pixelbox said:
Diamonds and pearls

jman2050

pixelbox said:

have I mentioned how much GAF NEEDS a roll eyes smilie?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
pixelbox said:
PSP fanboys Rehab Center that way -----------> :)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
pixelbox said:
Oh to be 13 years old again. :lol

littlewig

Banned
pixelbox said:
One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it.

So, Sony will need 10 years to finally outsell the DS? I see.

pixelbox said:

Oh god...

It's not about Mario Kart and Nintendogs sequels. It's about a healthy mixture of established franchised re-visioned and innovative "non games" on one great system. Sure the PSP is going to have good games one day, but don't sit there saying the DS is just going to disappear or something. The DS is going to have some more great games, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Japan has responded to these non games very positively, and I doubt their interest will fade. They've been playing the same kinds of games with great graphics for years, and the DS is something brand new.

The DS' dominance cannot be shoved under a rug or discredited. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl hasn't even come out, and the DS is already breaking records. It's not slowing down anytime soon. And once Pokemon does come out...wow.

Pimpbaa

Just a question. If the "non games" on the DS are responsible for the DS success, do people really want that? I fear for future traditional games on the DS :(

Spike

pixelbox said:

The DS has been outselling the PSP consistently on a week-on-week basis. This is not the DS "having it's moment", this is the DS having its way with the competition.

When the PSP outsold the DS for a few weeks at the beginning of the year, that was the PSP "having its moment."

See the difference?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Pimpbaa said:
Just a question. If the "non games" on the DS are responsible for the DS success, do people really want that? I fear for future traditional games on the DS :(
AFAIK there is only one non-game and that is the dictionary thing. As long I get stuff like I posted a picture of, I'm a very happy hardcore gamer. I would classify braintraining as much as a game as polarium. I actually do want to try it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Pimpbaa said:
eh..? you love AC and I wouldn't call that a traditional game :p

Spike

Pimpbaa said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You still are getting stuff like Zelda, Mario, FF3, Castlevania, Pokemon, and the like. Games and "non-games" can coexist on the platform.

pixelbox said:

:lol :lol :lol

KINGMOKU

Archie said:
Oh to be 13 years old again. :lol
All those angry and mixed up feelings again.

I can just feel the puberty seething under his skin as his whole world is turned upside-down by the game charts.

"Stupid Nintendo and thier baby fans!"

Spike said:
The DS has been outselling the PSP consistently on a week-on-week basis. This is not the DS "having it's moment", this is the DS having its way with the competition.

When the PSP outsold the DS for a few weeks at the beginning of the year, that was the PSP "having its moment."

See the difference?
QFT

This is pure pwnage. The PSP outsold the DS for ten weeks straight, and the Sony boys rejoiced. Now, the DS has been outselling the PSP going on 40 weeks straight, and we get denial. This is a rape of epic magnitudes, and I should know.

littlewig

Banned
Non games have been around for a long time, Besides the ones on the PC, they have all sucked ass.

DS is the first system to actually make qaulity non games that are fun, hence the phenonmial sales.

Some of you guys act like Nintendo invented this genre...

Pimpbaa

Error2k4 said:
eh..? you love AC and I wouldn't call that a traditional game :p

I love sandbox type games. I'm more worried about stuff like brain training and nintendogs being popular. Did Castlevania and Sonic sell well on the DS in japan?

heidern

Wow these DS sales are incredible. I also dont think anyone quite realises just how amazing they really are. Its not just that they are record breaking sales. These are on a whole new level. To illustrate heres a comparison with the holidays first 3 week totals of the ps2 and GBA, and the psp added to the mix for the past two years.

Code:
[B]2001     2002    2003    2004        2005[/B]
GBA+ps2 GBA+ps2 GBA+ps2 GBA+ps2+psp GBA+ps2+psp
142,028 214,243 151,700 121,964     139,257
304,950 305,831 177,800 308,151     151,474
486,827 461,593 315,500 279,570     184,977
[B]933,805[/B] [B]981,667[/B] [B]645,000[/B] [B]709,685[/B]     [B]475,708[/B]

DS
[B]885,056[/B] 3 Week Total
Here are the 3 week totals in descending order highest to lowest.
2002 981,667
2001 933,805
ds05 885,056
2004 709,685
2003 645,000
2005 475,708

The DS on its own has beaten ps2 and GBA combined for each of the last 3 Decembers, even if you add the psp to the mix. It was beaten in the peak years of the GBA and ps2 combined. However this year the period covered starts from November the 28th which is quite early. The peak week is supposed to be next week and of course the expectations are that the DS sales will rise and could hit 600K. However if they beat 513,400 then that would mean that on the 4 week comparison DS beat the ps2 and GBA combined in any of these years even 2001 and 2002. And lets look at the software, the DS is on track for 7 million sellers(with Brain Training 2) released this year which single handedly beats the ps2 and BAs best year combined.

Million sellers released(even if they didnt hit platinum until the following year)
2004 ps2 4 GBA 2
2003 ps2 4 GBA 1
2002 ps2 2 GBA 1
2001 ps2 3

Seriously, this is the biggest news to hit the Japanese gaming industry since Final Fantasy 7 was confirmed for the psx. I know theres talk of 3rd party sales or of whether the Revolution will improve Nintendos console fortunes and compete with ps3 or how the psp can compete with the DS. But it is all irrelevent. The DS performance just overrides everything. Sony can only dream of hitting these kind of numbers, even with the ps3. Nintendo have snuck up on everyone and hit us with a cataclysmic shift in the gaming landscape in Japan. Fuck, next year sees a new scrolling Mario Bros. Theres a deluge of 3rd party software too, far better than what was served this year. Theres real Pokemon games hitting. This is beyond insane.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
THANK YOU

600k is mighty high, I doubt that _that_ much stock is still available.

Has media creat posted comments yet?

Deku

Banned
The games is part of it but it is derived from strategy. Nintendo turned what seems like a rout by Sony into an unbelievably strong 1st year for the DS in Japan. Everything from launching early World Wide to the timing of games like Mario Kart has been very good strategic moves benefiting the DS.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
PhoenixDark said:
QFT

This is pure pwnage. The PSP outsold the DS for ten weeks straight, and the Sony boys rejoiced. Now, the DS has been outselling the PSP going on 40 weeks straight, and we get denial. This is a rape of epic magnitudes, and I should know.

details please.

KINGMOKU

heidern said:
Wow these DS sales are incredible. I also dont think anyone quite realises just how amazing they really are. Its not just that they are record breaking sales. These are on a whole new level. To illustrate heres a comparison with the holidays first 3 week totals of the ps2 and GBA, and the psp added to the mix for the past two years.

Code:

DS
2002 981,667
2001 933,805
ds05 885,056
2004 709,685
2003 645,000
2005 475,708

The DS on its own has beaten ps2 and GBA combined for each of the last 3 Decembers, even if you add the psp to the mix. It was beaten in the peak years of the GBA and ps2 combined. However this year the period covered starts from November the 28th which is quite early. The peak week is supposed to be next week and of course the expectations are that the DS sales will rise and could hit 600K. However if they beat 513,400 then that would mean that on the 4 week comparison DS beat the ps2 and GBA combined in any of these years even 2001 and 2002. And lets look at the software, the DS is on track for 7 million sellers(with Brain Training 2) released this year which single handedly beats the ps2 and BAs best year combined.

Million sellers released(even if they didnt hit platinum until the following year)
2004 ps2 4 GBA 2
2003 ps2 4 GBA 1
2002 ps2 2 GBA 1
2001 ps2 3

Seriously, this is the biggest news to hit the Japanese gaming industry since Final Fantasy 7 was confirmed for the psx. I know theres talk of 3rd party sales or of whether the Revolution will improve Nintendos console fortunes and compete with ps3 or how the psp can compete with the DS. But it is all irrelevent. The DS performance just overrides everything. Sony can only dream of hitting these kind of numbers, even with the ps3. Nintendo have snuck up on everyone and hit us with a cataclysmic shift in the gaming landscape in Japan. Fuck, next year sees a new scrolling Mario Bros. Theres a deluge of 3rd party software too, far better than what was served this year. Theres real Pokemon games hitting. This is beyond insane.
And this begs up a follow-up question to your point;

Is Sony's position as the #1 console maker in Japan in a very dangerous place right now?

Can the success of something brand new, and never before done, propell another device from the same company to new hieghts?

Does anyone know the numbers for the NES, and SNES In Japan, and do the DS numbers kill those as well? If the DS is having the best after launch sales ever Nintendo is really on to something, and in the process is making all the nay-sayers look like complete tards'.

heidern said:

Code:

DS
2002 981,667
2001 933,805
ds05 885,056
2004 709,685
2003 645,000
2005 475,708

2004 ps2 4 GBA 2
2003 ps2 4 GBA 1
2002 ps2 2 GBA 1
2001 ps2 3

Listen to the apostle GAF. He speaks the Word, unabridged.

The DS is owning, period. Next year is going to be a whirlwind. When you look at the release list from this year, it's impressive, but not as impressive as next years. For instance, this year the DS had:

-Nintendogs
-Mario Kart
-Animal Crossing
-Jump Superstars

Those were the games most people expected to be huge hits. Notice, I did not include the non games, because most people didn't expect them to do that well; no one thought Brain Training would get close to 1million.

Now, lets look at next years list:

-Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
-Super Mario Bros.
-Zelda DS
-FF3

Of course there are many more huge titles coming out in 2006 such as Children of Mana and Tales of the Tempest, but I put special emphasis on those 4 because they'll most likely be the biggest titles. Pokemon is going to be the title that's going to force a large chunk of the GBA crowd to switch to the DS. When it comes to "DS vs PSP", it all comes down to who can convince the largest amount of the GBA gamers to join; the GBA's total sales are stunning, and it's not like these people just disappeared. I am confident that the DS, with Pokemon's help, will secure this crowd. But that's not all. With the help of the non games, the DS is actually bringing brand new people into the handheld market.

At this rate, it would be an understatement to declare things are going great for the DS. The handheld is putting up PS2-like numbers in its first year, and it shows no sign of stopping.

Top Bottom