• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create figures - June 19 to June 25

Tabris said:
Finally a chart with some non-DS games and guess what everyone responds with:

"zzzz yawn, boring chart" or "fun fact: if you exclude new games (which are non-ds games), 9 games out of 10 are DS".

Is there anyone on this board that isn't a hardcore nbot or do they all avoid these threads except for me?

It amuses me how much these threads hurt you every week. Deep down. In your business.

charlequin said:
It amuses me how much these threads hurt you every week. Deep down. In your business.

how about this?

Great to see VP2 and KoF XI actually making the chart but, ultimately, those are pretty piss-poor numbers particularly in the case of VP2.

I knew WE 10 would have some great World Cup legs. Probably would have made million seller if the Japanese national team wasn't rosebudded in their group.

meltpotato said:
Great to see VP2 and KoF XI actually making the chart but, ultimately, those are pretty piss-poor numbers particularly in the case of VP2.

Haven't PS2 RPGs, especially late-period ones, generally kinda sucked it up compared to PS1? Tracking only 30k below VP1 doesn't seem so bad, in that case.

Maybe I'm just too used to the US charts now where 100k is like a huge victory for most new jRPGs now.

melvoin

Banned
These estimates for FFIII seem way off. 1m seems like a stretch, and I wouldn't be surprised if its lifetime sales were as low as 500k. Final Fantasy or not, big 3rd party releases typically have a way of underperforming on Nintendo systems, which is why PSP is getting so much more support overall, despite its smaller userbase.

melvoin said:
These estimates for FFIII seem way off. 1m seems like a stretch, and I wouldn't be surprised if its lifetime sales were as low as 500k. Final Fantasy or not, big 3rd party releases typically have a way of underperforming on Nintendo systems, which is why PSP is getting so much more support overall, despite its smaller userbase.

O rly? Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and Dragon Quest are a few third party games that found huge fame on Nintendo systems. Tamagotchi hit a million. FFIII should. It's Final Fantasy afterall and the GBA remakes of 1 and 2 hit half of that.

Oh and PSP is NOT getting "much more support", it's time to come out of fantasy land.

melvoin said:

That's stupid. You're saying FFTA, a third party title on a Nintendo handheld won't be beaten by the only remake of FFIII ever, which is a complete overhaul of the game, and on the biggest system in Japan right now. Not only will it do well with current DS owners, people are going to eat it up on DS. DQM is a huge game on handhelds, so what are you talkin about with this "third parties never do well on Nintendo handhelds" crap?

melvoin said:

My favorite thing about this FFIII thing is that even after it sells 1m+, people will keep saying this nonsense.

Final Fantasy I & II for GBA sold 270k. That package included two games that had already been rereleased twice in the past few years for two other platforms in Japan, with no graphical improvements over those previous rereleases and fairly minor improvements over the original.

FFIII is a remake of a Final Fantasy game that hasn't been available since the NES era for any platform in Japan. It is on the current undisputed dominating platform in Japan, equivalent to the PS2 at its height easily. It has a complete graphical upgrade into extremely nice 3D, as well as brand-new story and gameplay content. It is, at the moment, quite clearly the premiere RPG on the DS platform. The closest parallel releases in Japanese software are the fancy DQ remakes, which sold 1.5m+.

So, yeah, lifetime sales of 500k are not gonna happen.

A Link to the Past said:
so what are you talkin about with this "third parties never do well on Nintendo handhelds" crap?

Seeing as even the"non-games" are selling rather well on PSP, well it's probably their last resort now.

donny2112

Any other third-party (expected) million-sellers coming up besides FFIII?

Dalthien,

Are you (can you?) going to update your Japanese sales thread anytime soon? It obviously won't be as complete without the Famitsu top 100 sales each month, but it should at least give an idea of where things are currently heading.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Maybe Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker will sell over 1M but who knows. What the DS has achieved not only in hardware but software as well.. you can't really predict it especially with New Super Mario Bros. set to overpass every other non-Famicom Mario title before it.

donny2112 said:
Any other third-party (expected) million-sellers coming up besides FFIII?

I can't think of anything else I'd bet on 1m automatically coming up, though I think there must be several 500k titles. DQ:M has done 500k before, and Joker has some sweet hotness in the visuals, so I think it'll do very good numbers.

What other 3rd party franchises have historically been in the 500k and 1m clubs in Japan? I'm not sure how many have really made appearances on DS.

Terrell

ethelred said:
There have been plenty of cases of multiple RPGs launching on the same day and both (or even more, if there are more than two) seeing good sales. The most recent one I can think of would be Dragon Quest Yangus and Mother 3, both of which had very solid launches. Blaming it on the VP2 launch is just spinning.

Face it, Magical Vacation 2's numbers are hugely disappointing and very, very bad. It's a horrible result for the game considering how good it looked, that it was well reviewed, and taking the very good sales of the first game (~269,000) into account. Massive bombing on what should've been a great selling RPG for the system.
Ummm... WHAT?!
Dragon Quest Yangus has been the worst-selling DQ game of all time, spin-offs included, and I saw people on 2ch blame it all on the fact that it launched side-by-side with Mother 3 and choked the sales of both games.

But even if I should decide to concede my point, there's also the matter of market exhaustion... Japan has been getting tons of awesome DS games, and people simply don't have the money to keep up with it.

There's also the possibility that MV2 to make a jump into the Top 10 next week. It's certainly not unprecedented. Unlikely, sure, but not unprecedented.

charlequin said:
I can't think of anything else I'd bet on 1m automatically coming up, though I think there must be several 500k titles. DQ:M has done 500k before, and Joker has some sweet hotness in the visuals, so I think it'll do very good numbers.

What other 3rd party franchises have historically been in the 500k and 1m clubs in Japan? I'm not sure how many have really made appearances on DS.

DQM sold over 2.3m copies and DQM2 sold over a million as well.

speedpop said:
Maybe Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker will sell over 1M but who knows. What the DS has achieved not only in hardware but software as well.. you can't really predict it especially with New Super Mario Bros. set to overpass every other non-Famicom Mario title before it.

Probably won't surpass Super Mario Land which stalled at 4m or so.

Magicpaint said:
DQM sold over 2.3m copies and DQM2 sold over a million as well.

Yeah, while you were posting this I was popping over to vgcharts.org and discovering my self-ownage. So, yeah, DQM:J is definitely at least a candidate for million status, though it looks like the GBA entries did much less well than the GB ones so I wouldn't call it a lock.

Terrell said:
There's also the possibility that MV2 to make a jump into the Top 10 next week. It's certainly not unprecedented. Unlikely, sure, but not unprecedented.

I'm looking towards MV2 to show us whether CoM was a fluke or whether DS RPGs tend to be bolstered by longer legs compared to the first week-loaded PS2 RPG pattern.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Terrell said:
But even if I should decide to concede my point, there's also the matter of market exhaustion... Japan has been getting tons of awesome DS games, and people simply don't have the money to keep up with it.
Yeah I was noticing this when I had a look at the schedule for releases at the end of the year.. I may as well start saving up now because I'm getting a definite new console and there are at least 4-6 titles hitting the DS in the Q4 window that are simply purchase-worthy. Also not to mention the 3 other big PS2 games (FFXII, Yakuza, Okami) and the ever loveable Twilight Princess.

Not happy Jan!

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
Dalthien,

Are you (can you?) going to update your Japanese sales thread anytime soon? It obviously won't be as complete without the Famitsu top 100 sales each month, but it should at least give an idea of where things are currently heading.
Well, I've actually been working on it again (on and off) for the past couple weeks. A buttload of work overwhelmed me and I fell 2 or 3 months behind in the chart, but I've got it back up-to-date through mid-May right now, and I'm slowly plugging away at it. I should probably have it caught up again in another week or two. Plus, we should be getting (hopefully) the Top 100 chart for the first half of the year (through June 25) within the next couple of weeks as well. Plus, a GAF benefactor was kind enough to provide me with some data from last year, so I have some updated totals for a number of games from late spring/early summer of 2005. Unfortunately, it was all in Japanese, and it took me a while to translate it all (my Japanese sucks).

So anyway, I'm hoping to have my chart caught up again with the release of the Top 100 1st-half of the year chart. Once I have it caught up, I'll break down the 3rd-party numbers as well. I'm not sure exactly how I want to approach that yet though.

Anyway, it's nice to know that someone still remembers it. :)

mj1108

Archie said:
I am guessing that FFIII will barely, if at all, pass 1 million. It will be called a bomb by GAF and brain training games will be blamed once again even though the average brain training consumer wouldn't give FFIII a second look.

That's not what you're guessing will happen -- it's what you're wanting to happen.

melvoin said:

Haven't we all learned not to underestimate what the DS can do yet?
In Japan

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
melvoin said:
Looks like we don't need mono anyway.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
mj1108 said:
That's not what you're guessing will happen -- it's what you're wanting to happen.
Not at all! This is going to be the best Final Fantasy ever, easily beating out FFXII (which I have NO CLUE why Amir0x worships it.) I want it to sell 10 million copies, but I just don't think it is going to sell well above 1 million. And people are going to call it a bomba regardless and use FFIII to rationalize that third parties shouldn't bother with the DS and that Nintendo is somehow killing the industry with non games.

Saoh

Clever Pun said:
i thought pac-charts were for hardware - and considering hardware numbers aren't out yet....

Well yeah, but there´s always those "unconfirmed" numbers that end up being accurate, those are out already. :)

jarrod

Banned
charlequin said:
I can't think of anything else I'd bet on 1m automatically coming up, though I think there must be several 500k titles.
Well, for 3rd party stuff with reasonable potential of hitting 500k+ imo...

-Dino King Battle: Taiko Kara no Hyuuryuusha (Taito)
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy III (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Ring of Fates (Square Enix)
-Kouchuu Ouja Mushi King: Greatest Champion e no Michi 2 (SEGA)
-Oshare Majo Love and Berry (SEGA)
-Shinsei RockMan ZN (Capcom)
-Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi Gohi-Kini (Namco Bandai)
-Tales of the Tempest (Namco Bandai)

...it's quite a bit better than the PSP list anyway...

-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix)
-Monster Hunter Portable 2 (Capcom)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
I hope NSMB 2 is like Lost Levels SMB2 where it's the same stuff but harder. NSMB 3 should bring back flying stuff though.

Shit yeah, ladies! Flying items were desperately needed in NSMB.

melvoin said:

Monorojo re-incarnated?

donny2112

Dalthien said:
Once I have it caught up, I'll break down the 3rd-party numbers as well. I'm not sure exactly how I want to approach that yet though.

Not saying you have to do it this way, but this may cover most of the possible angles.

1. Total 3rd-party/1st-party sales.
2. 3rd-party sales separated by publisher (maybe with average sales per game for that publisher).
3. 3rd-party sales by half-years (Dec 2004 - June 2005, July 2005 - Dec 2005, Jan 2006 - June 2006).
4. 3rd-party sales by half-years by publisher. :p

Dalthien said:
Anyway, it's nice to know that someone still remembers it. :)

:)

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Shinsei Rockman ZN? What does the ZN stand for, Zero Network?
I'd guess so. "Rebirth of Rockman Zero Network" following "Battle Network Rockman.EXE"? I wonder if the US title will be simply "MegaMan Zero Network" instead?

Have hardware figures not been posted? These are from VGCharts.

Console Weeks Released Weekly Total
DS 82 167,250 9,035,000
PS2 330 25,500 20,163,250
PSP 81 24,750 3,578,250
GBA 275 5,250 15,659,000
X360 29 1,250 133,500
GC 250 1,000 4,175,250

Kevtones

melvoin said:

Came for the sales numbers, but I stay for damage control:lol :lol :lol

Jeff-DSA

melvoin said:

:lol :lol :lol

mj1108

tracky_dacks said:
Have hardware figures not been posted? These are from VGCharts.

Console Weeks Released Weekly Total
DS 82 167,250 9,035,000
PS2 330 25,500 20,163,250
PSP 81 24,750 3,578,250
GBA 275 5,250 15,659,000
X360 29 1,250 133,500
GC 250 1,000 4,175,250

Those are UNCONFIRMED.

melvoin said:

:lol :lol :lol

Mono Jr.

melvoin said:

Who are you and what planet are you from?

melvoin said:
Do we have a new contender folks?

stalker

melvoin said:

If Final Fantasy III does not sell 500K on its first week I will eat my DS.

And it's the fat one.

stalker said:
If Final Fantasy III does not sell 500K on its first week I will eat my DS.

And it's the fat one.

Err ... I dunno about 500k in one week, though Final Fantasy games tend to be more front-loaded in terms of sales.

Archie said:
Not at all! This is going to be the best Final Fantasy ever, easily beating out FFXII (which I have NO CLUE why Amir0x worships it.) I want it to sell 10 million copies, but I just don't think it is going to sell well above 1 million. And people are going to call it a bomba regardless and use FFIII to rationalize that third parties shouldn't bother with the DS and that Nintendo is somehow killing the industry with non games.

I agree. It's a remake and an RPG on a portable. Just those two factors hold it back from skyrocketing to Animal Xing numbers. When it breaks 1 million, people should be pretty happy. Square sure as hell wont be dissapointed. The game probably costs a fraction of what they put into FFXII and I think things need to be put into perspective.

stalker

soundwave05 said:
Err ... I dunno about 500k in one week, though Final Fantasy games tend to be more front-loaded in terms of sales.

I was just joking in the opposite direction of my quoted fellow junior member.

But to a certain point, yes, I do think it is possible. You see it impossible?

jarrod

Banned
500k 1st week seems pretty plausible I think, DS hardware should get a nice big bump too. How well did DQ5R sell it's 1st week?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
charlequin said:
You know how no matter how many fruit flies you squish, as long as there are bananas in your house you'll always get more?
Take a small bowl and put some beer in it. Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and poke a hole in the middle. Leave the bowl next to your fruit and the next morning all the fruit flies will be stuck in the bowl. :)

jarrod said:
500k 1st week seems pretty plausible I think, DS hardware should get a nice big bump too.
Even with the high price of FFIII?

Sorry to bring up something said a few pages back, but havn't we beaten the FFIII dead-horse a little much? I think its safe to say it will be successful, I know its the #1 portable for my excitement, as with most of yours. Advertising and the comparison to FF7 will give it a larger hype boost later this year.

.....someone mentioned Super Mario Galaxy performing well due to the NSMB performing well, the general consesus was that 3D was too complicated for japanese gamers. I think the fact that its much simpler 'planet based' system will help, and the complete scraping of a player-controlled camera will help. Mario literally only runs and jumps and points and wiggles things on screen.....maybe its the evolution of simplified 3D platforming.

But that wasn't my point. If Mario Galaxy is too complicated for Japanese gamers, I can only explode in my pants a million times when I think about how wii sports will do (specifically wii tennis). Could it break the original mario bros sales of 40 million? only time will tell....

ZeoVGM

Banned
this is a little offtopic, but it has to do with sales everywhere i guess..

okay someone mentioned this site earlier http://www.vgcharts.org/usamonthly.php?date=38838

how is that right? there's not even a single 360 game. nintendogs #6? mario bros. 2 #8? way too many GC games there too. here's may according to GameSpot,

1 - New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
2 - Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
3 - Brain Age: Train Your Brain In Minutes a Day (DS)
4 - God of War (PS2)
5 - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360)
6 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360)
7 - MLB '06: The Show (PS2)
8 - Guitar Hero (with Guitar) (PS2)
9 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
10 - Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
11 - X-Men: The Official Game (PS2)
12 - Over the Hedge (PS2)
13 - Fight Night Round 3 (Xbox 360)
14 - FIFA World Cup 2006 (PS2)
15 - The Godfather: The Game (PS2)
16 - Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
17 - Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (Xbox 360)
18 - Midnight Club 3: Dub Ed Remix (PS2)
19 - Major League Baseball 2K6 (PS2)
20 - Major League Baseball 2K6 (Xbox 360)

probably based on $$$ but even so 360 games should still be on that list and the GBA/GC games dont make sense

melvoin

Banned
Magicpaint said:
O rly? Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and Dragon Quest are a few third party games that found huge fame on Nintendo systems. Tamagotchi hit a million. FFIII should. It's Final Fantasy afterall and the GBA remakes of 1 and 2 hit half of that.

Oh and PSP is NOT getting "much more support", it's time to come out of fantasy land.

In the next fiscal year:

SEGA

http://www.dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=1132

PSP: 29 games
DS: 17 games

CAPCOM

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game20060529.shtml

PSP - 21 titles
Nintendo DS - 10 titles

ATARI

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/News/10787.html

Atari's product lineup for fiscal 2007 is expected to include the following new releases:

Alone in the Dark (PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows), Arthur and the Minimoys (PlayStation 2, PSP, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance and Windows), BattleZone (PSP), Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (PlayStation 2 and Wii), Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics (PSP), Earthworm Jim (PSP), Hot Pxl (PSP), Neverwinter Nights 2 (Windows), Super DBZ (PlayStation 2), and Test Drive Unlimited (Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2, PSP), among others.

These are three major 3rd parties I could find off hand. I challenge you DS fanboys to show me some major 3rd party lineups(besides Square Enix) where DS is similarly outnumbering PSP... or even beating it at all.

This is what's really happening. It's time some of you started to wake up.

The days of street fighter, FF, and DQ that you're referring to are from well over a decade ago. The industry has changed.

Amir0x

Banned
ioi combines all Nintendogs, and also only goes by units.

but at the end, I won't vouch for any of his numbers... let someone else do it, he's notoriously flakey.

Edit: and melvoin HAS to be you-know-who. Just because he's so darned persistent.

ZeoVGM

Banned
melvoin said:
This is what's really happening. It's time some of you started to wake up.

The days of street fighter, FF, and DQ that you're referring to are from well over a decade ago. The industry has changed.

wow you have like

no idea what you're talking about

Top Bottom