• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/12 - 01/18

Link said:
Sorry, but this train of thought has run its course. It's been over two years. There should at least be announcements of big games by now.
You keep reminding me of a member in another forum that is exactly like you, a Wii fan that only talks negativly, with doom and gloom stuff, ignoring every positive thing about it.
He/she even has a Zelda themed avatar...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
It's been trending lower than the year before since October and is starting 2009 the same way.
I wonder why that is...

Ah.

Tokyo-based Sony will reduce the price of its 20GB and 60GB PS3 models by 5,000 yen ($43) to 44,980 yen ($384) and 54,980 ($469) yen respectively from October 17. Sony will also introduce a 40GB PS3 at 39,980 yen ($341) on November 11, the company said in a statement today.

Link said:
There are a few, sure. But that only proves why the old argument of "third parties were unprepared" has worn so thin.

EDIT - I've already discussed the rest of this earlier, I'm not gonna do it again.

...Do you like know anything about development including the recent trends of third parties? I mean you do realize it takes usually at a MINIMUM of 3 1/2 to 4 years to create these games correct? And you also realize that the "epic" games that so far have been announced have been in development since early to mid 2007 and are still in development. And you do realize that third parties have to get done with the big games they are already working on first to create new ones?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Flying_Phoenix said:
...Do you like know anything about development including the recent trends of third parties? I mean you do realize it takes usually at a MINIMUM of 3 1/2 to 4 years to create these games correct?
I think you're overestimating development time. Only the largest RPG's should have a dev time that long unless there were issues.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
...Do you like know anything about development including the recent trends of third parties? I mean you do realize it takes usually at a MINIMUM of 3 1/2 to 4 years to create these games correct? And you also realize that the games that so far have been announced have been in development since early to mid 2007 and are still in development.
You're exaggerating there a little to be honest. A minimum of 3 1/2 to 4 years for a full 60 hour RPG maybe, but most games it's more like 1 or 2 years max after they have the initial engine up (and Wii developers have the extra advantage of reusing their GCN engines).

Link said:
I think you're overestimating development time. Only the largest RPG's should have a dev time that long unless there were issues.

Sage00 said:
You're exaggerating there a little to be honest. A minimum of 3 1/2 to 4 years for a full 60 hour RPG maybe, but most games it's more like 1 or 2 years max after they have the initial engine up (and Wii developers have the extra advantage of reusing their GCN engines).

Devil May Cry 4, Monster Hunter 3, Dragon Quest IX, Metal Gear Solid 4 are some of the biggest games to hit/going to hit this generation and took in/taking in similar development time.

Even the Wii's brightest upcoming stars: Tales of Mothership, Monster Hunter 3, TMNT Brawler are sharing similar development time as most started development in 2007. I admit the 3 1/2 cut-off mark was a little extreme (should have said 3) but it doesn't denounce my point that these games take time to make and the Wii hasn't even been released to meet the time frame of that cutoff point yet (a little over 2 years now). We are just getting announcements from AA and AAA games that have been in development since the Wii's infant release stages (similar to how we got announcements of A games some months ago). Looking at the Wii's release and average development time as well as release patterns for these games things seem to be falling in place. And again we must remember that pubishers/developers need to move onto these games AFTER their previous ones are finished and released for not only man/woman power and financial risk reduce but to focus on promoting their current games as well as not flooding the markets lineup. Not to mention switching development from next gen tech to ...well Wii level tech. Yeah they can reuse the GC but why? If they want to put in full effort (hence AA and AAA games) it would be wise to make a Wii engine ground up or at least tweak the engine significantly to get above satisfactory performance.

Link said:
Sorry, but this train of thought has run its course. It's been over two years. There should at least be announcements of big games by now.
They still have 360 and PS3 games to premiere. They don't want to tell core gamers to switch to the Wii while those games have yet to come out.

Link said:
There are a few, sure. But that only proves why the old argument of "third parties were unprepared" has worn so thin.
Time will show. We'll see a lot of announcements this summer, this holiday will be awesome, and 2010 will really be the year of the Wii.

and yes I know it's been said before about 2008, but those prophecies were premature

bmf said:
They still have 360 and PS3 games to premiere. They don't want to tell core gamers to switch to the Wii while those games have yet to come out.
This post made me laugh...I hope it's a joke ;) Otherwise, truly deluded. As if core gamers enjoying their games on 360/PS3 are suddenly going to flock to Wii and forget about their other machines just cause a couple of 'core' games get announced.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
bmf said:
Time will show. We'll see a lot of announcements this summer, this holiday will be awesome, and 2010 will really be the year of the Wii.

and yes I know it's been said before about 2008, but those prophecies were premature
I agree, Secret Wii Game will certainly be a great title.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sage00 said:

Development times have increased for this generation. Remember how long ago we saw screens (or bullshots, whatever) of Resident Evil 5? I'm sure it was before we'd even seen what the Wii was called.

Link

The Autumn Wind
bmf said:
You can't be serious...

SovanJedi said:
Development times have increased for this generation. Remember how long ago we saw screens (or bullshots, whatever) of Resident Evil 5? I'm sure it was before we'd even seen what the Wii was called.
Wii dev time shouldn't be nearly as long as PS3/360 dev time.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
That's great and all, but I don't see how that's really all that relevant.
Simply a disparity in timing. PS3's sales bump has been delayed by a few months due to the next price drop being in the spring, rather than 2007's winter drop. That should bring PS3 back up to where it should be, and probably above with a stronger lineup than the previous year.

But the perfomance after that bump wears off is what will decide if PS3 is doing 'good' or 'bad'. Right now it's simply expected.

bmf said:
I did come off a bit like that, didn't I?
Just a bit. With the strength of DQX alone though, I'm sure you can't be far off.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sage00 said:
Simply a disparity in timing. PS3's sales bump has been delayed by a few months due to the next price drop being in the spring, rather than 2007's winter drop. That should bring PS3 back up to where it should be, and probably above with a stronger lineup than the previous year.

But the perfomance after that bump wears off is what will decide if PS3 is doing 'good' or 'bad'. Right now it's simply expected.

I don't think a PS3 price drop is coming anytime soon. The FF13 demo bundle which is out for April is at full price. Given the problems going on at Sony right now I wouldn't just count on a price drop.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
2lj41v6.png

Awesome. :lol

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
I don't think a PS3 price drop is coming anytime soon. The FF13 demo bundle which is out for April is at full price. Given the problems going on at Sony right now I wouldn't just count on a price drop.
I'm going to stick my neck out and say I really do think there will be a price drop. Perhaps not $100, but $50. SCEA are on life support, SCEE are losing their strong foothold to MS, and SCEJ would be foolish not to follow them down. The increase in hardware and software volume could cancel out the cost, but you are right in saying it's a big gamble for a company in the position Sony is currently in.

The bundle situation is interesting. The price is obviously announced at the current full level as to not cannibalize current sales like they did following TGS. They could use the opportunity of big games coming out around that time to keep the current price point and soak in some money that they seem to desperately need, or they could follow Microsoft's strategy and drop around the big games, which seems to have largely paid off for them. It could go either way.

donny2112

Sage00 said:
I'm going to stick my neck out and say I really do think there will be a price drop. Perhaps not $100, but $50.

SCEI's stated goal for this current fiscal year was to be profitable. It drastically didn't happen. The belief for this year has been that Sony would hold at the current price, be profitable for the FY, and then drop in April. The very different reality vs. plan on the whole profit thing makes it even more unlikely that a price drop will occur in the Spring. In effect, the weak dollar has already forced a price cut on the PS3 from SCEI's perspective, so it brings a lot of doubt to whether they'd add a "consumer-view" price cut on top of that.

In Japan, it may happen, though.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got a question about Fragile for the Wii. I searched on Google to see if there were any budget numbers out there. I then found a link to NeoGAF to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14178856&postcount=105

It says:

Fragile has actually been in development for around 2 years and became a fairly big project over time. "RPGs need a lot of money", he says. As expected, they intend to recoup these development costs with the game sales, and derived products. But the distribution and advertising won't be cheap either.
"RPGs need a lot of money" can be relative though, is it alot of money compared to what another RPG game on the Wii would cost, or is it "a lot of money" compared to how much a HD RPG game would cost to produce.

But I think that one of the more interesting parts is what the last sentence says in what i quoted. It says that the distribution and the advertising wont be cheap. From what i have heard, there doesnt seem to be much (or any?) adverticing for Fragile in Japan, and if this is the case, then my question is: what happend to the adverticing that they talked about in that interview?

I think that this quote is taken from a japanese interview, so were they mostly talking about the japanese market when they mentioned that the distribution and the adverticing wouldnt be cheap, or were they more thinking about the worldwide market?

EDIT: I added some text.

Link said:
You can't be serious...

Wii dev time shouldn't be nearly as long as PS3/360 dev time.

Yet it's 2 1/2 to 3 years these big Wii games are taking to develop.

test_account said:
I got a question about Fragile for the Wii. I searched on Google to see if there were any budget numbers out there. I then found a link to NeoGAF to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14178856&postcount=105

It says:

"RPGs need a lot of money" can be relative though, is it alot of money compared to what another RPG game on the Wii would cost, or is it "a lot of money" compared to how much a HD RPG game would cost to produce.

But I think that one of the more interesting parts is what the last sentence says in what i quoted. It says that the distribution and the advertising wont be cheap. From what i have heard, there doesnt seem to be much (or any?) adverticing for Fragile in Japan, and if this is the case, then my question is: what happend to the adverticing that they talked about in that interview?

I think that this quote is taken from a japanese interview, so were they mostly talking about the japanese market when they mentioned that the distribution and the adverticing wouldnt be cheap, or were they more thinking about the worldwide market?

EDIT: I added some text.

Time and expense is time and expense. Just because the game isn't cutting edge doesn't mean it won't take time. There are other factors then the graphics when creating these games. Again look at Dragon Quest IX, Tales of Mothership, TMNT Wii, or even last generation titles. Yes not diving into cutting edge tech may be a bandaid but it's still a pretty big wound.

Gaborn

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yet it's 2 1/2 to 3 years these big Wii games are taking to develop.

I think part of that is the best teams were already tied up and committed to PS3 and 360 projects when the system was released. As those games have been released they've been free to work on other projects.

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Jarrod, Biohazard 0 was not ported by Tose. It was handled by ONE person at Capcom whose Kanji name I can't read, a few members of some studio called Happy Happening. I assume Biohazard Wii is the same.
Oh interesting! All I know about Happy Happening is that they did a few (crappy) Puzzle Bobbles for Majesco (the Taito produced games are usually farmed out to Lancarse).

I reallly wonder if the original creators are doing the Wii de Asobou ports?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
LOL

It is sort of their 3rd strike, after Baten Kaitos and Trusty Bell.

Flying_Phoenix said:
And the thing that's insane is that games like Tales and TMNT which have been in development for well over a year (Tales has been for 2) are just getting announced with far off future release dates. Sorry it isn't 1997 anymore where developers and publishers can just immediately switch to another development on another console, games take much more time and money to make now.
Publishers really are announcing things closer to release too. We know Shining Force Gear and Winning Eleven Break are both most likely Wii bound this year and neither still be been officially announced, just for an example.

apotema said:
Nintendo should re-release the Mario Advance games, they would sell more than their GBA counterparts
Virtual Handheld plz!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
apotema said:
Nintendo should re-release the Mario Advance games, they would sell more than their GBA counterparts

At some point I get sick of people supporting this. Only on a Virtual Handheld

jarrod

Banned
HK-47 said:
At some point I get sick of people supporting this. Only on a Virtual Handheld
What if they did Super Mario All-Stars DS? The 4 GBA ROMs on a DS card, plus WFC Mario Bros. :D

Link

The Autumn Wind
sp0rsk said:
Fragile was sold out at my local store.
Well, that sounds about right, doesn't it? The rule of thumb is usually a game sells about half its first week total on the first day. Fragile sold through 45% of its shipment on the first day, so it stands to reason that it probably sold most of its shipment.

jarrod

Banned
bmf said:
If they did this, I'd want it as a rebuild in the NSMB engine with a ton of polish.
Well, I doubt they'd do that. Cheap GBA code might be enough incentive though... actually they could do with several series that had multiple GBA installments (Fire Emblem, Zelda, Metroid, Wario Land+Ware, F-Zero, Bit Generations, etc) though I doubt they'd go that far. Super Mario I could actually see though, especially as a late term DS release.

jarrod said:
Well, I doubt they'd do that. Cheap GBA code might be enough incentive though... actually they could do with several series that had multiple GBA installments (Fire Emblem, Zelda, Metroid, Wario Land+Ware, F-Zero, Bit Generations, etc) though I doubt they'd go that far. Super Mario I could actually see though, especially as a late term DS release.
You know. It could work. I'd still want to see more work put into it than just rom containment. If they were to enhance the games to use the entire screen real estate and move the status bars down to the bottom screen it would be ok in my book.

I don't know. One of my greatest gripes early on with the DS was that the screen was only 192 pixels high. It just seemed like a situation where an additional 32 lines would have made all the difference for SNES and NES ports - without those 32 lines, you can't just bring the sprites and layouts over - you have to either scale the sprites slightly or you have to redesign the screen layout to cut off area that was playable in the original versions.

I know that this causes other issues like AR adjustment or side bars or the need to add area to the available real estate, but I think it would have been a big plus.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
So 25-30K first week and a near complete sellout? Maybe Namco-Bandai will advertise the second shipment. :p

Why they did not advertise the 1st :lol

People like vinnk who wanted it must have also realized it was released

doicare

I've managed to get my hands on some pre order numbers for japan (don't ask), now i can't give away the exact numbers but i thought i'd share what i can, in the what i call the everything compared to dragon quest 9 list:

Dragon Quest 9 4.5x > Yakuza 3
Dragon Quest 9 5x > Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Dragon Quest 9 12x > Star Ocean 4
Dragon Quest 9 17x > Street Fighter 4 (PS3)
Dragon Quest 9 35x > Resident Evil 5 (XBOX360)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doicare said:
I've managed to get my hands on some pre order numbers for japan (don't ask), now i can't give away the exact numbers but i thought i'd share what i can, in the what i call the everything compared to dragon quest 9 list:

Dragon Quest 9 5x > Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Dragon Quest 9 12x > Star Ocean 4
Dragon Quest 9 17x > Street Fighter 4 (PS3)
Dragon Quest 9 35x > Resident Evil 5 (XBOX360)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Gee, did you get those super secret numbers from this website???

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ja&tl=en

cvxfreak

jarrod said:

DS de Asobu Collection

I'd buy the Mario games, and perhaps the Fire Emblems at cheap prices.

test_account

XP-39C²
Flying_Phoenix said:
Time and expense is time and expense. Just because the game isn't cutting edge doesn't mean it won't take time. There are other factors then the graphics when creating these games. Again look at Dragon Quest IX, Tales of Mothership, TMNT Wii, or even last generation titles. Yes not diving into cutting edge tech may be a bandaid but it's still a pretty big wound.
Sure, but i havnt said anything about that it doesnt take time to make games that arent cutting edge? (i am not being rude, it is a normal question :)). What i ment with that "RPGs need a lot of money" is relative, it can depend on what it is being compared to.

For example, if the most expencive Wii game that is made so far has costed like 10 million US dollar to make, making a Wii game that cost for example 6 million US dollars could be concidered "a lot of money" compared to 10 million US dollars, while comparing it to a HD-game that maybe cost like 25 million US dollars to make, then 6 million US dollars isnt really "a lot of money" compared to 25 million US dollars.

6 million US dollars are still a lot of money in general though, but do you know what i mean? :) These money figures are purely hypotetical examples by the way, i have no idea what the highest budget has been for a Wii game so far.

Fragile for Wii seems to have been a game that has cost quite some money to make, and in the interview they say that adverticing wont be cheap, but if it is true that there isnt any adverticing for Fragile in Japan, why is that? It seems abit strange to me. I mean, they used like 2 years to make the game, and in an interview they say that the adverticing wont be cheap, so why isnt there any adverticing for the game (if that is the case)? :\

apotema said:
That sounds like a pretty cool idea i must say! :)

doicare

schuelma said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Gee, did you get those super secret numbers from this website???

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ja&tl=en

No, but thanks for being a dick about it when i'm offering some sales info to this thread. That link you gave might be close on some of the console games i listed but it's off on half of the handheld games that i have info for and a few more console games you can add to list i made which isn't on the link you gave are:

Dragon Quest 9 42x > Demon's Souls
Dragon Quest 9 58x > Street Fighter 4 (XBOX360)
Dragon Quest 9 63x > Halo Wars

Dragon Quest 9 7.5x > Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete Blu Ray

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dude honestly if you can't give even a general source ("a retail chain", "an online retailer", "internal numbers from a publisher", "a sales tracking service") then we don't want or need the numbers.

I don't mean to be dismissive, but there's so much baloney out there that if you can't toss a bone to authenticate yourself to anyone then there's not much sense in putting forward the numbers.

donny2112

doicare said:
I've managed to get my hands on some pre order numbers for japan (don't ask),

It's definitely not retailer pre-order numbers. :lol

Thanks for sharing. :)

doicare said:
No, but thanks for being a dick about it when i'm offering some sales info to this thread. That link you gave might be close on some of the console games i listed but it's off on half of the handheld games that i have info for and a few more console games you can add to list i made which isn't on the link you gave are:

:lol

AniHawk

doicare said:

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

Top Bottom