• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/12 - 01/18

RpgN

markatisu said:
As we all are at the state of 3rd party thinking in Japan

Can't disagree. Hopefully things will improve on both sides. That confusion is hurting many.

EDIT

*Looks at Vinnk's long reply*

Yes, I agree mostly. Though I didn't realize that Fragile was treated this badly :/ We still have first week to look forward to, maybe it might get legs?

Link

The Autumn Wind
donny2112 said:
The third-party mindset with core titles on the Wii, advertising, and features is pretty confusing, at the moment. :/
You can throw tinfoil hat accusations at me all you want, but it's pretty obvious that most publishers either don't want to bother with the Wii at all, or make sure that their developers don't get any second chances by doing stuff like this.

donny2112

Vinnk said:
I am the target audience for this game. Been reading posts about it all last year. Have the music from the site ripped to my iPod. Currently have a fragile postcard on my computer desk that I got for waiting 3 hours in line to play it at TGS.

And I didn't buy it. Because I forgot it was out yesterday.

So what you're saying is that a 16K first day is a goshdarn miracle! :D

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
35K first shipment, so I guess it's meeting the (equally floppy) expectations of the retailers. Maybe if Namco-Bandai had anted up with some in-store advertising, the retailers would've ordered more, and the game would've sold more. I'm sort of confused as to the reasoning in putting effort into a game and then not really advertising it to give it the best shot to sell. I guess Namco-Bandai probably figured that the increase in advertising cost wouldn't be worth the expected (on their side) marginal increase in sales. Maybe if it does sell out of its initial shipment after next week, Namco-Bandai will opt for some more advertising with subsequent shipments.

The third-party mindset with core titles on the Wii, advertising, and features is pretty confusing, at the moment. :/

I find interesting the lack of marketing for wii games.
Is this more prominent on wii games compared with other consoles?

I mean, is (for example) Tenchu 4 psp being advertised more than the wii version?

Vinnk

donny2112 said:

Internal Memo of Namco-Bandai

To: Fragile Staff
Re: You can't have both!

It has come to our attention that money and effort were used in the production of Fragile beyond what we ordered for a third party Wii title. Please make up for this surplus by deducting an equal amount of money and effort from advertising. You tried to do the same thing with Sky Crawlers, but luckily we stopped that one in time. Please don't let this happen again.

markatisu

Vinnk said:
Internal Memo of Namco-Bandai

To: Fragile Staff
Re: You can't have both!

It has come to our attention that money and effort were used in the production of Fragile beyond what we ordered for a third party Wii title. Please make up for this surplus by deducting an equal amount of money and effort from advertising. You tried to do the same thing with Sky Crawlers, but luckily we stopped that one in time. Please don't let this happen again.

That was great :lol

jarrod

Banned
Link said:
You can throw tinfoil hat accusations at me all you want, but it's pretty obvious that most publishers either don't want to bother with the Wii at all, or make sure that their developers don't get any second chances by doing stuff like this.
Thankfully Capcom and Enix don't seem to fall into that majority. <3 <3

Link

The Autumn Wind
Vinnk took my theory and turned it into an amusing story. Nice work.

jarrod said:
Thankfully Capcom and Enix don't seem to fall into that majority. <3 <3
I dunno, Capcom is developing MH3, but otherwise, it's pretty much all been ports or niche titles.

Enix hasn't done jack besides DQS, and lord knows how long it'll be until DQX comes around.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Is this more prominent on wii games compared with other consoles?

It may just be a case of we're just looking harder at the Wii. Someone in Japan would be better equipped to make the comparison, though.

I agree with Vinnk's assessment that if this game had come out in the PS2's heyday, it probably would've sold better with an equal lack of advertising. One major difference is that the PS2 audience was used to being able to go into a store and expect to see new games that might appeal to them that had been released since their last visit. The constant stream of titles created a mindset of "What's going to be there this week?" I think the same was true of the DS during its shortages. Software sales were way up during the multi-year shortage period, and I think a good portion of that is that there were significant numbers of buyers who got into the habit of going into the store periodically just to see if they could get a DS. More foot traffic = greater sales without an increase in advertising.

This is definitely not the situation with the Wii. Releases in general, and core releases in particular, seem to be pretty sparse compared to the PS2 or DS. A Wii owner could go into a store every two weeks and see maybe two more titles that might appeal to them than the last time they were there compared to a dozen new titles when talking about the DS or the PS2 a few years ago.

I'm sure that's not all of it, but that's enough to say that Wii games probably need more advertising to get the word out than companies may expect if the game was on the PS2 (a few years ago) or the DS.

Vinnk said:

:lol

bttb said:
2009/01/23 PR: Family Trainer shipped 1 million units as of Jan. 14th, 2009. (JP 140k, NA 540k, EU 320k)
For Reference: Family Ski shipped 1 million units as of Dec. 13th, 2008. (JP 130k, NA 560k, EU 330k)

Thanks! That goes along with the general belief that third-party titles do much better in the U.S. and Europe than Japan. :D

jarrod

Banned
Link said:
I dunno, Capcom is developing MH3, but otherwise, it's pretty much all been ports or niche titles.

Enix hasn't done jack besides DQS, and lord knows how long it'll be until DQX comes around.
Eh, they're each committing their biggest 3rd party console games to Wii, exclusively at that. If that's a sign of not "wanting to bother" with Wii, what's it say about their PS3 and 360 efforts then?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Glad to see Fallout 3 crack the top 10, I wonder what the average Japanese gamer thinks of this game... I'm definitely more of a fan of Japanese styled RPGs but ended up loving the hell out of that game, wonder if the Japanese consumers will end up feeling the same way...

donny2112

jarrod said:
Eh, they're each committing their biggest 3rd party console games to Wii, exclusively at that. If that's a sign of not "wanting to bother" with Wii, what's it say about their PS3 and 360 efforts then?

Depth vs. Breadth

This generation has caused a lot of confusion for third-parties, but at least some of them were still in a position to change where some of their biggest titles were going. Do you think FFXIII would've still been planned for the PS3 if development had not been started until 2007? I'm really not sure, myself.

Vinnk

donny2112 said:
This is definitely not the situation with the Wii. Releases in general, and core releases in particular, seem to be pretty sparse compared to the PS2 or DS. A Wii owner could go into a store every two weeks and see maybe two more titles that might appeal to them than the last time they were there compared to a dozen new titles when talking about the DS or the PS2 a few years ago.

I'm sure that's not all of it, but that's enough to say that Wii games probably need more advertising to get the word out than companies may expect if the game was on the PS2 (a few years ago) or the DS.

There is also the problem that if you miss the games, you are out of luck. Say I wanted to buy a copy of Sky Crawlers now, I would have to go online or to a very large used store. The new copies, were there for about 2 weeks, price collapsed, were sold, and are now long gone. And there were never enough copies to begin with for there to be many used copies floating around. I haven't seen a copy anywhere in about 3 months. I can't just go into a department store and buy it. It was available for about a month, now its not. Like it was never there.

and here is the crazy thing:

If I were the normal customer (one who doesn't read gaming sites) and I, like a normal gamer, only went looking to buy games about once every 2 months, this game might not have existed for me. I might have missed it altogether even if I was a Wii gamer interested in flight games. Because it's not there for me to see.

No word of mouth can save a game that people can no longer (easily) buy.

markatisu

Vinnk said:
and here is the crazy thing:

If I were the normal customer (one who doesn't read gaming sites) and I, like a normal gamer, only went looking to buy games about once every 2 months, this game might not have existed for me. I might have missed it altogether even if I was a Wii gamer interested in flight games. Because it's not there for me to see.

No word of mouth can save a game that people can no longer (easily) buy.

And I think this is one of the primary reasons why games tend to do better in the EU and US then they do in Japan.

In the US we have price collapses but they still stay in major retail chains and exist for many months at stores like Gamestop, sometimes actually seeing more in sales then when they were new.

In Japan it tends to be once and done, if retailers do not order and the game does not sell it is virtually wiped off the plane of existence

jarrod

Banned
donny2112 said:
Depth vs. Breadth

This generation has caused a lot of confusion for third-parties, but at least some of them were still in a position to change where some of their biggest titles were going. Do you think FFXIII would've still been planned for the PS3 if development had not been started until 2007? I'm really not sure, myself.
Oh, I agree. Even looking at quantity though, it's not like that even favors the HD systems... list warz!

*denotes exclusive

Capcom 360
-Dead Rising (2006)
-Lost Planet (2006)
-Devil May Cry 4 (2008)
-Street Fighter IV (2009) Dimps
-Biohazard 5 (2009)

Capcom PS3
-Lost Planet (2007) K2
-Devil May Cry 4 (2008)
-Biohazard 5 (2009)

Capcom Wii
-Biohazard 4 (2007)
-Treasure Island Z (2007)*
-Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007)* cavia
-Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (2007)
-We Love Golf (2007)* Camelot Software Planning
-Biohazard 0 (2008) TOSE Software
-Rockman 9 (2008)* inti-creates
-Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (2008)* 8ing
-Biohazard (2008)
-Dead Rising (2009)
-Monster Hunter G (2009)
-Monster Hunter 3-Tri (tba)*

Enix 360
-Project Sylpheed (2006)* Game Arts/SETA
-Star Ocean: The Last Hope (2009)* tri-Ace

Enix PS3
-nothing

Enix 360
-Dragon Quest Sword (2007)* Genius Sonority/8ing
-Soul Eater: Monotone Princess (2008)*
-Dragon Quest X (tba)* Level 5?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Link said:

I don't think its that- I think it might be a case of initial expectations/budget. Case in point- Capcom USA was asked why Z&W wasn't advertised. The response was essentially that it wasn't a big enough investment to get ads in order to recoup that investment. So basically, according to Capcom, if its not a big budget game that needs millions of copies sold to break even, it won't get the advertising. Doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I think that attitude is prevalent at a lot of places.

schuelma

VerTiGo said:
Taiko is quite the hit on the Wii. Not an astounding success but impressive nonetheless.

Oh I think its showing signs of being pretty astounding- the internal expectations were 400K and if it keeps selling like it seems it will it will reach that pretty quickly. At this point its well ahead of the PS2 and DS versions and if it shows any sort of legs it will probably break 500K. That's damn good.

Link

The Autumn Wind
jarrod said:
Well, so far, Capcom has given the PS3/360 DMC4, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet with RE5, SFIV, and Bionic Commando coming up. All these games also received/will receiving huge marketing pushes.

On the SE side, we've had The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery, with FFXIII, Star Ocean IV, and Rapture upcoming.

I'd say all of those are either huge brands, or large-scale original IP's with a lot of effort put behind them.

EDIT -
schuelma said:
I don't think its that- I think it might be a case of initial expectations/budget. Case in point- Capcom USA was asked why Z&W wasn't advertised. The response was essentially that it wasn't a big enough investment to get ads in order to recoup that investment. So basically, according to Capcom, if its not a big budget game that needs millions of copies sold to break even, it won't get the advertising. Doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I think that attitude is prevalent at a lot of places.
But that's what I'm pretty much saying. The Wii isn't getting any big-budget games. And on the rare occasion that they get something even close to one, like Fragile, it's sent to die.

jarrod

Banned
schuelma said:
Z&W was also a game they were happy with sales wise evidently, even though it barely registered anyway. I wonder what the response, if any, will be to TatsuCap? Actually, what's the AC response to TatsuCap too?

Vinnk

markatisu said:
And I think this is one of the primary reasons why games tend to do better in the EU and US then they do in Japan.

In the US we have price collapses but they still stay in major retail chains and exist for many months at stores like Gamestop, sometimes actually seeing more in sales then when they were new.

In Japan it tends to be once and done, if retailers do not order and the game does not sell it is virtually wiped off the plane of existence

Some stay.. you can still get a copy of ASH brand new for less than $10 at almost any game store. Still plenty of copies of Nights to be found too.

But my friend had to buy Excite Truck off Amazon marketplace because he couldn't find a copy new or used in this town. The first Trauma Center is also pretty hard to find.

donny2112

jarrod said:
Oh, I agree. Even looking at quantity though, it's not like that even favors the HD systems... list warz!

Wow. Now the PS360 does have an equal amount of new games (i.e. not last-gen ports) among those games already released, but I didn't realize the number of total games for Capcom was so large for the Wii. Maybe it's something like this then.

Code:
Wii Support

|
  |
  |
  |
|||||

PS360 Support

|||||
|||||
|||||

Also, Mega Man 9 was multi-platform as far as I know.

Thanks for the lists! :)

schuelma

Link said:
EDIT - But that's what I'm pretty much saying. The Wii isn't getting any big-budget games. And on the rare occasion that they get something even close to one, like Fragile, it's sent to die.

Ok but I don't think its a conspiracy to not market Wii games. That's what you seemed to be saying.

And I know we argue this every week, but Wii has some 3rd party 2009 games that WILL be heavily advertised. I mean, you can tell from TGS and MH G that Capcom is going to go all out with Monster Hunter 3. It wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo actually do a bundle..

Vinnk said:
Some stay.. you can still get a copy of ASH brand new for less than $10 at almost any game store. Still plenty of copies of Nights to be found too.

ASH for 750 yen, Nights for 1000 yen... I'm surprised I've managed to stay away thus far.

Vinnk

Cheesemeister said:
ASH for 750 yen, Nights for 1000 yen... I'm surprised I've managed to stay away thus far.

I bought ASH at full price. 2 weeks later it was half that. 3 more weeks and it was 1000 yen. And it's still there.

:: facepalm ::

Vinnk said:
I bought ASH at full price. 2 weeks later it was half that. 3 more weeks and it was 1000 yen. And it's still there.

:: facepalm ::

Well, don't feel bad. I bought Metroid Prime 3 for $50 -- it's still unopened with MP2 still left to finish -- and saw it this evening used for 1950 yen.

jarrod

Banned
Link said:
Well, so far, Capcom has given the PS3/360 DMC4, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet with RE5, SFIV, and Bionic Commando coming up. All these games also received/will receiving huge marketing pushes.

On the SE side, we've had The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery, with FFXIII, Star Ocean IV, and Rapture upcoming.

I'd say all of those are either huge brands, or large-scale original IP's with a lot of effort put behind them.
You'll notice the HD systems aren't exactly getting more of those sorts of announcements. Capcom Japan specifically hasn't announced anything original for a HD platform since before PS3 launch, and even moved one their announced HD games (MH3) to Wii. donny's right, publishers were just caught unprepared by how the market played out and it's been a slow correction. And again, announcing the two biggest JP 3rd party games in Japan as Wii exclusives isn't exactly a sign of little faith and waiting things out for the next round. In fact both series would've perfectly fine happily continuing in handhelds and skipping Wii altogether were that the case

And it's not like MH3 and DQX are the lone examples of shift even... we've got Sengoku Musou 3, Tales of Ten and other popular mid tier JP games all suddenly moving Wii bound too.

schuelma said:
At this point its well ahead of the PS2 and DS versions and if it shows any sort of legs it will probably break 500K. That's damn good.
It's very good, but I'm not sure what you mean by "well ahead of the PS2 versions". Here's a chart of them (the legend is in chronological order):

TnT+6

Taiko Wii is doing much better than the later installments on PS2 (the lower group), and given its legs will probably exceed TnT 2. It's not going to reach TnT 1 or 3, but it's a good "reboot" onto new hardware. Namco will certainly milk the hell out of it until it dies, just as they did with the PS2 versions (two or three releases every year).

Edit to add: JJS, it might be helpful to make a game group on Garaph for the Taiko games. The only PS2 iteration I didn't include is GID 2132, which I think is a re-release of the first game. Of course, the DS and Wii versions would need to go in as well.

CrisKre

how much did venus and braves sell? i think thats an accurate comparison as to what we could expect of Fragile to do.

wrowa

CrisKre said:
how much did venus and braves sell? i think thats an accurate comparison as to what we could expect of Fragile to do.
Uhm... why? These two games have as good as nothing in common.

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
It's very good, but I'm not sure what you mean by "well ahead of the PS2 versions".

Probably has something to do with being well ahead of the PS2 versions. :p

Notice that orange line above all the other lines through 30 days or so on botticus's graph? That's the Wii version.

schuelma

donny2112 said:

Notice that orange line above all the other lines through 30 days or so on botticus's graph? That's the Wii version.

Dammit you stole my snarky comment!!

lo zaffo said:
I think that Super Smash Brothers X can do 2 mil and this is a measure of how Wii is bigger than GameCube and Nintendo64 in Japan.
Hmm... I think it will be close. It sold 81K in the second half of 2008. Both halves this year should be lower than that. Maaaybe by the end of 2010?

schuelma said:
I don't know if I would say its selling well..It's already down a lot over last year with no Smash Brothers on the immediate horizon.
Well, it depends on what we mean by well. Since Wii most often gets compared to PS2, I wonder what the early weeks of new calendar years were like in PS2's first few years.

2002-12-30

Wii is definitely pulling weaker numbers than that. 2001 is the only one comparable, but late 2000/early 2001 actually was a time of shortage for PS2.

Spiegel said:
JoshuaJSlone, I noticed something when I was looking for the sales of Zill O'll in your database.

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=2190
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=2195
I just noticed the same thing. Transferred the relevant data from the latter to the former. I am partial to the name that was attached to one of them, though: "Jill All Infinite". :)

donny2112 said:

Yeah, it'll be slamming into 1284 (PS2 Taiko 3) anytime now, though.
wrowa said:
Uhm... why? These two games have as good as nothing in common.
Same developer, I think.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 214 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 167.3 weeks (May 13, 2003), where DS was at 95.8 weeks (September 30, 2006), and where GBA was at 145.6 weeks (January 1, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 162 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 15.7 weeks (December 28, 2001), where PS3 was at 25.5 weeks (May 3, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.5 weeks (December 28, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 114 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 30.1 weeks (September 25, 2000), where PSP was at 56.7 weeks (January 6, 2006), where GCN was at 118.4 weeks (December 17, 2003), and where Wii was at 30.0 weeks (June 24, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 111 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 93.4 weeks (January 1, 2003), where DS was at 74.6 weeks (May 4, 2006), where PS2 was at 110.2 weeks (April 8, 2002), and where PSP was at 160.9 weeks (January 6, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 11 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 27.4 weeks (August 20, 2003), and where DSL was at 11.0 weeks (May 14, 2006).

Though DSi had the holiday going for it, it and early DSL continue putting out ridiculously similar numbers.
DSi+in+terms+of+DSL

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 65.6 / 34.4 bring total shares to 68.8 / 31.2. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 328.4 weeks (May 7, 2015).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 31.6 / 68.4 bring total shares to 24.1 / 75.9. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 194.5 weeks (October 11, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 39.0 / 61.0 bring total shares to 26.3 / 73.7. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 238.8 weeks (August 17, 2013).

Week over week, everything is down. Mostly 20-30%, though not so much for PS2 and X360 at the bottom.
X360

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
jarrod said:

*denotes exclusive

Capcom 360
-Dead Rising (2006)
-Lost Planet (2006)
-Devil May Cry 4 (2008)
-Biohazard 5 (2009)

Capcom PS3
-Lost Planet (2007) K2
-Devil May Cry 4 (2008)
-Biohazard 5 (2009)

Capcom Wii
-Biohazard 4 (2007)
-Treasure Island Z (2007)*
-Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007)* cavia
-Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (2007)
-We Love Golf (2007)* Camelot Software Planning
-Biohazard 0 (2008) TOSE Software
-Rockman 9 (2008)* inti-creates
-Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (2008)* 8ing
-Biohazard (2008)
-Dead Rising (2009)
-Monster Hunter G (2009)
-Monster Hunter 3-Tri (tba)*

Enix 360
-Project Sylpheed (2006)* Game Arts/SETA
-Star Ocean: The Last Hope (2009)* tri-Ace

Enix PS3
-nothing

Enix 360
-Dragon Quest Sword (2007)* Genius Sonority/8ing
-Soul Eater: Monotone Princess (2008)*
-Dragon Quest X (tba)* Level 5?

Wow. you must be high or something. Oh Final Fantasy XIII for PS3 in Japan.

RpgN

neojubei said:

Why is he only mentioning Enix in the first place? The Square side has My Life as a King, Chocobo Dungeon wii, FFCC Echoes of Time, Crystal Defenders and Crystal Bearers that is not cancelled.

neojubei said:

He's only talking about Enix.

RpgN said:
Why is he only mentioning Enix in the first place? The Square side has My Life as a King, Chocobo Dungeon wii, FFCC Echoes of Time, Crystal Defenders and Crystal Bearers that is not cancelled.

Because the person he was replying to only mentioned Capcom and Enix.

RpgN

Cosmonaut X said:
Because the person he was replying to only mentioned Capcom and Enix.

In any case, third party support has been pretty good from them. Probably they have to keep everyone happy, but is he expecting developers like Capcom and Enix to put all their resources on the wii only?

Eteric Rice

jarrod said:
You'll notice the HD systems aren't exactly getting more of those sorts of announcements. Capcom Japan specifically hasn't announced anything original for a HD platform since before PS3 launch, and even moved one their announced HD games (MH3) to Wii. donny's right, publishers were just caught unprepared by how the market played out and it's been a slow correction. And again, announcing the two biggest JP 3rd party games in Japan as Wii exclusives isn't exactly a sign of little faith and waiting things out for the next round. In fact both series would've perfectly fine happily continuing in handhelds and skipping Wii altogether were that the case

And it's not like MH3 and DQX are the lone examples of shift even... we've got Sengoku Musou 3, Tales of Ten and other popular mid tier JP games all suddenly moving Wii bound too.

Wait, weren't Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV announced like, just last year?

test_account

XP-39C²
Stumpokapow said:
not in japan
Does anyone know what the reason why Mega Man 9 only came out for the Wii in Japan? Seeing how it is a download-able game only, and i guess that the game is already with japanese text in Japan? So why not release Mega Man 9 for the PS3 and the Xbox 360 in Japan as well?

Eteric Rice said:
Wait, weren't Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV announced like, just last year?

Street Fighter IV - announced in October 2007, and obviously in development for a number of months beforehand.

Resident Evil 5 - announced in July 2005.

EDIT: Beaten, but I'm sure you get the point. RE5 was in motion before the Wii even launched and has been in development in one form or another for at least three years +

SFIV was probably internally approved sometime in late 2006 / early 2007 just after Wii launched.

wrowa

JoshuaJSlone said:
Same developer, I think.
But Fragile isn't a Square Enix game or something that sells because of his brand name. The V&B team (or Project Fragile, which is the studio's new name) isn't a big player, so I don't think we can say that because V&B sold nearly 100k these numbers are also possible for Fragile – Fragile is a completely different game.

Top Bottom