• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/02 - 03/08

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
The used market is probably choking the bugger to death, as usual 'round here.

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/20090312mog00m200038000c.html

From Traders video game division director in Tokyo's Akihabara district, Toshikazu Kobayashi.

Used game rankings for 3/3 - 3/9

1. NDS 7th Dragon
2. PS3 Yakuza 3
3. 360 Star Ocean 4
4. PSP Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi-Raid
5. PSP Dissidia: Final Fantasy
6. PS3 Street Fighter IV
7. PSP Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
8. 360 Gundam Musou 2
9. PS3 Demon's Souls
10. NDS Shining Force Feather

Kenka

Link said:
facepalm.jpeg

Statistically, he's not exactly wrong. But I agree, this comment was off-topic.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Kenka said:
Statistically, he's not exactly wrong. But I agree, this comment was off-topic.
It was more in reference to the fact that are exactly 0 third party games on the Wii right now that could hope to sell anywhere near the numbers of the huge franchise sequels being released on the PS3 at the moment. (Or in general, really.)

markatisu

Link said:
It was more in reference to the fact that are exactly 0 third party games on the Wii right now that could hope to sell anywhere near the numbers of the huge franchise sequels being released on the PS3 at the moment. (Or in general, really.)

exactly, its not like One Piece 2 was expected to push anywhere near the same numbers (software and hardware) that Yakuza 3 or RE5

And that was probably the biggest 3rd party Wii game this month

jeremy1456

donny2112 said:
So far. :)

Third-parties have released next to nothing of note on the Wii so far this year.

And really the next Wii game expected to do well is Monster Hunter G, but that doesn't hit for over a month.

I could pretend that Oboro Murasama will do decently, but I really don't want to be let down when it bombs.

donny2112

Nintendo is a business. Businesses get investors because they make money, but also because they meet their projections. Nintendo already has stated projections for this fiscal year (through March 31, 2009). If they were planning to take drastic action in Japan before then, I doubt they would've lowered their worldwide Wii shipment forecast by 1 million.

Nintendo is apparently having a conference at the end of March following GDC. That's rumor, as far as I know. They'll definitely be having a conference when they announce their FY results. E3 is in June. Somewhere in there, I'm expecting them to blow out whatever it is they plan to do to fix this Japanese sales thing. Hopefully they'll be some third-parties on board that train (e.g. DQ: Swords 2, as mentioned earlier), but there'll definitely be Nintendo on board that train. They won't just let the current Japanese situation continue without them taking some kind of serious actions to turn it around.

Barring something immediate happening, though, Oboro Murasama's prospects aren't looking too hot, since it launches April 9.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
So far. :)

Third-parties have released next to nothing of note on the Wii so far this year.

Neither has Nintendo, honestly. I believe they have released exactly 1 non-port- Another Code in January.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Neither has Nintendo, honestly. I believe they have released exactly 1 non-port- Another Code in January.

So the only entity to release games of note in the console space in Japan this year are third-parties on the second and third-place consoles. Great business decisions those Japanese third-parties got this generation! :lol

Cygnus X-1

schuelma said:

How was it by the way? I enjoyed Hotel Dusk and the first Another Code and so, consequently, I was looking forward to this one as well.

Minsc

Gold Member
donny2112 said:
Nintendo is apparently having a conference at the end of March following GDC. That's rumor, as far as I know. They'll definitely be having a conference when they announce their FY results. E3 is in June. Somewhere in there, I'm expecting them to blow out whatever it is they plan to do to fix this Japanese sales thing. Hopefully they'll be some third-parties on board that train (e.g. DQ: Swords 2, as mentioned earlier), but there'll definitely be Nintendo on board that train. They won't just let the current Japanese situation continue without them taking some kind of serious actions to turn it around.

Barring something immediate happening, though, Oboro Murasama's prospects aren't looking too hot, since it launches April 9.

ACFB77.jpg

donny2112

Famitsu Hardware

DSL 9500
DSi 34000
PSP 45000
Wii 19000
PS3 28000
PS2 5200
360 7400

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Hardware

DSL 9500
DSi 34000
PSP 45000
Wii 19000
PS3 28000
PS2 5200
360 7400

Wii is remaining in that 18-20k range, so I think we can safely say that is its stable range for the time being

donny2112

Hcoregamer00 said:
what is going on with the DS?

It's selling 43.5K in the third week of March in its fifth year on the market.

fam

I still think Nintendo needs to do something to pump up the DS some, but from an historical standpoint, it's still doing fine.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
donny2112 said:
It's selling 43.5K in the third week of March in its fifth year on the market.

I still think Nintendo needs to do something to pump up the DS some, but from an historical standpoint, it's still doing fine.

This is why graphs are nice, because it puts in context.

I look at DS out of context and say, "Oh damn, the world is ending." Then this graph puts in context and it really isn't bad.

donny2112

markatisu said:
Wont DQIX take care of that whenever it launches

I get the impression that Dragon Quest tends to not cause a big bump in hardware, as Enix is too shrewd a company. In other words, they'll have already "plowed the row," so to speak, before bringing in their big gun. With the DS, this has been done with DQM:J, DQIV, DQV, and Slime Mori Mori 2. (This is part of the reason I expect a DQVII Wiimake before DQX comes out, as well.) Therefore, the DQ buying public usually already has the system before the big DQ game actually comes out.

I think something like "Even More Brain Training" would be helpful, though.

cvxfreak

Spectacular second week for Biohazard 5. :)

I think it'll sell about 700K before going to budget lineup, in which case it can easily garner another 100-200K. If there's a Wii version, then Biohazard 5 should be even more successful than Biohazard 4 overall.

Top Bottom