• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/23 - 03/29

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
There is absolutely no correlation between any Famitsu announcements and current weekly sales. The correlation would be between 2007-08 sales and announcements.
With PS3's 07-08 sales and the current rate of announcements, there surely can't be any correlation unless it's inverse. :p

Sage00

Once And Future Member
DarkMehm said:
Did the PS2 get a pricecut in Japan too?
Nope. PS2 RRP is still 16,000 yen as it has been since shortly before PS3 launched. Amazon etc have been discounting about 1,600 yen for a long time now though.

gtj1092 said:
So that I understand; games become significant releases after they have sold well relatively speaking weather or not the game was suppose to be a big release in the first place (i.e. demon souls)? If this is the case can the mantra that Ps360 have no more big releases for the rest of the year stop since we don't know if any of their releases will approach 100k sold.
Well, sure, there's always the possibility there will be 20 surprise hits. But that there can be unexpected events is no reason to consider future events a complete unknown.

DarkMehm

Sage00 said:
Nope. PS2 RRP is still 16,000 yen as it has been since shortly before PS3 launched. Amazon etc have been discounting about 1,600 yen for a long time now though.

Wow, that's like 160$, poor Japanese.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sage00 said:
With PS3's 07-08 sales and the current rate of announcements, there surely can't be any correlation unless it's inverse. :p

exactly

Eteric Rice

Hopefully Nintendo, or someone puts out a few games to get Japan's attention again.

I mean, while stuff like Arc Rise Fantasia, etc, is coming... Well, it's very samey. It seems like an everyday RPG. Someone needs to make something completely different to get interest again.

gantz85

Banned
Can one of the stats guys confirm whether PS3 is still undercharting compared to its 2008 performance? I remember it isn't even matching its 08 performance a few months ago.

schuelma

gantz85 said:
Can one of the stats guys confirm whether PS3 is still undercharting compared to its 2008 performance? I remember it isn't even matching its 08 performance a few months ago.

I think it's now pulled ahead or just about even.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully Nintendo, or someone puts out a few games to get Japan's attention again.

I mean, while stuff like Arc Rise Fantasia, etc, is coming... Well, it's very samey. It seems like an everyday RPG. Someone needs to make something completely different to get interest again.
I don't think we need something different, we need more of the same of what works. Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, etc. These are steps back in the right direction.

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
So that I understand; games become significant releases after they have sold well relatively speaking weather or not the game was suppose to be a big release in the first place (i.e. demon souls)?

"Significant" Releases:

* Big games - Street Fighter IV, Yakuza 3, Resident Evil 5
* Expected good sales - Musou Orochi Z; First release on PS3 of a combo pack of PS2 games that launched at 378K and 220K. The PS3 game came in way under those (104K), but way under those is still pretty darn good. It was also #1 for the week.
* Actual good sales - Demon's Soul; This one was a surprise as shown by the shortages. It was also probably helped through being followed by all of the above games. Again, consistent, significant releases bring people into the stores, and if they're in the stores, they're more likely to purchase software.

If you'd rather exclude Demon's Soul (a reasonable postion), that's fine. That would leave the string of consistent, significant releases as shown below.

Street Fighter IV - 2/12
Yakuza 3 - 2/26
Resident Evil 5 - 3/5
Musou Orochi Z - 3/12

Edit:
On a personal level, I can see why it would be better to exclude Demon's Soul. "Significant" releases should probably have more to do with expectations than with actual results. However that does mean that surprise hits like Brain Training wouldn't be considered "significant," which is just silly.

swerve

Eteric Rice said:

Yeah, I agree. Monster Hunter has done brilliantly in the marketplace and is a full on phenomenon now, but the home games market seems completely dead by comparison.

I think we all just want to see the future. Here's hoping this year's E3 and TGS bring back that feeling of 'whoa, I wasn't expecting THAT' and 'never seen anything like it before'.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:
"Significant" Releases:

* Big games - Street Fighter IV, Yakuza 3, Resident Evil 5
* Expected good sales - Musou Orochi Z; First release on PS3 of a combo pack of PS2 games that launched at 378K and 220K. The PS3 game came in way under those (104K), but way under those is still pretty darn good. It was also #1 for the week.
* Actual good sales - Demon's Soul; This one was a surprise as shown by the shortages. It was also probably helped through being followed by all of the above games. Again, consistent, significant releases bring people into the stores, and if they're in the stores, they're more likely to purchase software.

If you'd rather exclude Demon's Soul (a reasonable postion), that's fine. That would leave the string of consistent, significant releases as shown below.

Street Fighter IV - 2/12
Yakuza 3 - 2/26
Resident Evil 5 - 3/5
Musou Orochi Z - 3/12

Edit:
On a personal level, I can see why it would be better to exclude Demon's Soul. "Significant" releases should probably have more to do with expectations than with actual results. However that does mean that surprise hits like Brain Training wouldn't be considered "significant," which is just plain silly.

This will be my last post on this subject but how do these releases change the buying habits of entire console base. I mean people still show up every week and purchase Wii fit and Taiko. So you can't say its a matter of getting customers in the store, never mind the fact that the Wii has 5 million plus more owners than the Ps3. Maybe its as simple as Ps3 owners are just more interested in a game like Winning Post which is where this arguement stems from. I can't buy into the theory that people decided to purchase the game because Yakuza 3 and RE5 just released a few weeks earlier. If anything wouldn't that make them less likely to make another purchase. Am I missing something was the game advertised as exclusive to the Ps3?

schuelma

gtj1092 said:
Maybe its as simple as Ps3 owners are just more interested in a game like Winning Post which is where this arguement stems from.

If your argument is simply that the PS3 userbase loves horse racing/breeding sims, you'll get no argument from me.

Now, why you should particularly care about this I don't really understand, but I will fully concede that the next huge horse dating sim should be a PS3 exclusive.

gantz85 said:
schuelma said:
I think it's now pulled ahead or just about even.
Yep. With week 13 it pulled a little ahead in Media Create, and the same should be true for Famitsu.
2008-12-29

2008-12-29

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
how do these releases change the buying habits of entire console base.

* Foot traffic increases total purchases for a store. This is basic retail knowledge. You can see it with retailers holding back certain items for a sale (e.g. Black Friday) to get people into the store.
* People are creatures of habit. Most of us are used to checking weekly (or more often) to see what's coming out. Most people don't, so checking for new software doesn't really come to mind very often.

A significant release can break through the habit of not checking for new games, so they might come back to see what else is available that they might want. Significant releases don't make people purchase games that they never would've been willing to purchase otherwise. Significant releases can put the idea of checking for other games more to the forefront of people's minds, though. When some time goes by without anything they want to get, they stop checking. That's why having consistent, significant releases (to keep up the pattern of buying games) is important.

gtj1092 said:
I mean people still show up every week and purchase Wii fit and Taiko.

Likely not the same customers each week, though. Therefore on an individual level, it's not repeat traffic. Those are also expanded audience titles. There is some crossover between the core and expanded audiences, but most of that crossover has probably already happened by now. The majority of the Wii core game-buying is probably just used to not going to the store, at the moment. It will take some consistent, significant releases to turn that around. A one-off Monster Hunter G followed by a month of pretty much nothing isn't going to do much.

gtj1092 said:
Maybe its as simple as Ps3 owners are just more interested in a game like Winning Post which is where this arguement stems from.

I think last year's totals said as much. The point, however, was that the increase could be due to the increased traffic brought about by repeat customers from the previous few weeks of consistent, significant releases.

Luckyman

Banned
schuelma said:
There is absolutely no correlation between any Famitsu announcements and current weekly sales. The correlation would be between 2007-08 sales and announcements.

Yeah, Koei just now suddenly picked Ni-Oh from the trashbin.

schuelma

Luckyman said:
Yeah, Koei just now suddenly picked Ni-Oh from the trashbin.

Yeah, in the approximately 4-5 weeks that PS3 has started to sell marginally better than before, Koei decided to re-start development on a dead project. I'm sure they were just waiting for PS3 sales to stay above 20K for 4 weeks and then they had that sucker ready to go again. Additionally, I'm sure SE has looked at this past month of sales and has already cancelled DQ X Wii and moved it to the HD twins.

RpgN

schuelma said:
Yeah, in the approximately 4-5 weeks that PS3 has started to sell marginally better than before, Koei decided to re-start development on a dead project. I'm sure they were just waiting for PS3 sales to stay above 20K for 4 weeks and then they had that sucker ready to go again. Additionally, I'm sure SE has looked at this past month of sales and has already cancelled DQ X Wii and moved it to the HD twins.

:lol

Meh, slow weak. Except for Disgaea 2, great unexpected performance for a port. And M&L RPG3 is still doing great.

Speaking of Demon's Souls, according to famitsu magazine, it has sold over 100k officially. Now MC is tracking it higher, I expect it between 110-120 there...

Kanpai!

Top Bottom