• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/23 - 03/29

Durante

BishopLamont said:
What a boring list of first day sales.
Agreed, but I thought the following was somewhat noteworthy -- even though I don't have any idea what that game is :lol

[PS3] Winning Post World (Koei) - 7,000 (55%)
[PS2] Winning Post World (Koei) - 5,000 (50%)
[WII] Winning Post World (Koei) - 1,000 (25%)

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 224 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 176.5 weeks (July 16, 2003), where DS was at 98.8 weeks (October 21, 2006), and where GBA was at 151.2 weeks (February 10, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 172 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 16.5 weeks (January 3, 2002), where PS3 was at 35.2 weeks (July 10, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.1 weeks (January 1, 2007).

Again any kind of being specific on a date is bound to be off since we only have data per week... but for our close-enough purposes, X360 has finally made it past what Wii did in its first calendar year.

PS3 comparisons: After 124 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 41.7 weeks (December 15, 2000), where PSP was at 63.2 weeks (February 21, 2006), where GCN was at 120.1 weeks (December 29, 2003), and where Wii was at 32.8 weeks (July 14, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 121 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 94.5 weeks (January 8, 2003), where DS was at 76.1 weeks (May 15, 2006), where PS2 was at 113.4 weeks (May 1, 2002), and where PSP was at 164.0 weeks (January 25, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 21 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 41.8 weeks (November 28, 2003) and where DSL was at 12.9 weeks (May 27, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 54.9 / 45.1 bring total shares to 68.5 / 31.5. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 261.0 weeks (March 30, 2014).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 17.5 / 82.5 bring total shares to 24.7 / 75.3. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 411.8 weeks (February 18, 2017).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 56.9 / 43.1 bring total shares to 27.4 / 72.6. This is the first time PS3 has outsold Wii five weeks in a row. At this week's rates PS3 catches up to Wii in 882.7 weeks (February 27, 2026). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 214.6 weeks (May 10, 2013).

Week over week, everything is down. Most noticeable with DS and PSP, coming down from bumps.
X360

After its 225th week, the combined DS systems have passed 26 million.

Through the first thirteen weeks of the year, almost everything is down by some degree. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -63.1%
DSL+DSi: -4.0%
PS2: -54.5%
PS3: +0.4%
PSP: -36.9%
X360: +207.2%

Home hardware: -40.7%
Portable hardware: -20.9%
Sum of all hardware: -29.4%

Since we've got 13 weeks of MC sales now, a full quarter, it's a decent time to go back to that beginnings-of-years comparison I did a few weeks ago.

Code:
DS   2007:1,930,291
DS   2006:1,212,781
PSP  2008:1,108,816
Wii  2008:1,055,443
DS   2008:1,050,148
Wii  2007:1,042,075
[b]DS   2009:1,007,894[/b]
[b]PSP  2009:  699,866[/b]
PSP  2007:  684,551
PSP  2005:  657,074
PSP  2006:  552,494
DS   2005:  528,393
[b]Wii  2009:  389,738[/b]
PS3  2007:  353,823
[b]PS3  2009:  348,110[/b]
PS3  2008:  346,590
[b]X360 2009:  144,529[/b]
X360 2007:   79,013
X360 2008:   47,046
X360 2006:   33,423

There's shuffling of order several places, but the biggest difference related to modern times is that PS3 is no longer having its worst beginning. It's slightly ahead of last year, but really all three of its years are close enough that it's a tie through the first quarter. Also, note that DS is the first system to reach a million this year. In 2007 and 2008 there were 2-3 that had reached a million by this time.

test_account said:
Were there really that many big games released though? Street Fighter 4, Yakuza 3, Resident Evil 5 and maybe Musou Orochi Z (dont know how big this is), and maybe White Knight Chronicles, but i dont know if that counts for 2008 or for 2009 (it was released in late 2008 at least). Or am i forgetting some games?
Yakuza 3 and RE5 are the #2 and #3 games on the system. That they released within such a short period of time is pretty huge. The last time two top sellers on the same system released so close together was... well, Wii Sports and Wii Play on the same day, I guess.

donny2112

Durante said:
Agreed, but I thought the following was somewhat noteworthy -- even though I don't have any idea what that game is :lol

[PS3] Winning Post World (Koei) - 7,000 (55%)
[PS2] Winning Post World (Koei) - 5,000 (50%)
[WII] Winning Post World (Koei) - 1,000 (25%)

Last year's first week totals.

PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 5800
PS3 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 5400
WII Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 1500

PS3 is up (Amazingly, putting out consistent, significant software releases actually makes users more aware/willing to buy software. Go figure.), but PS2 and Wii aren't looking to be much different from last year.

apujanata

donny2112 said:

PS3 is up (Amazingly, putting out consistent, significant software releases actually makes users more aware/willing to buy software. Go figure.), but PS2 and Wii aren't looking to be much different from last year.
Winning Post is a niche game, just like Harvest Moon. Since most of its userbase was on PS2, it seems that most of the userbase didn't have Wii, and Wii's new gamer are not interested in the horce racing type of game.

I wonder whether Harvest Moon Wii sales are increasing or not.

[Nintex]

I wouldn't be too worried about the Wii, in the Netherlands a few retailers have a game called: Wii Fit Plus listed, with or without Balance Board. It seems the millions of Wii owners who bought Wii Fit will double dip at the end of this year.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yakuza 3 and RE5 are the #2 and #3 games on the system. That they released within such a short period of time is pretty huge. The last time two top sellers on the same system released so close together was... well, Wii Sports and Wii Play on the same day, I guess.
Sure, i dont deny that Yakuza 3 and RE5 are big selling games and that both games were released close to each other, i just wanted to ask if i had forgotten about some games when "orgy of AAA/Big Name titles" were mentione. But if there have been 2-3 big released titles, i am not sure if i would define this as an orgy, since "orgy" is about the total amount of numbers, now about how big the individial things are if i am not mistaken. But if you count in Street Fighter 4 and Musou Orichi Z as well, then maybe "orgy" would fit the description :)

Maybe "orgy" was just as an expression that was used to show that many big titled games had been released (sort of an expression like "i can eat a horse" if you are very hungry just to take another example) though :) So i dont took it 100% litterally, but i just wanted to ask if i had forgotten about some big titled released PS3 games :)

[Nintex] said:
I wouldn't be too worried about the Wii, in the Netherlands a few retailers have a game called: Wii Fit Plus listed, with or without Balance Board. It seems the millions of Wii owners who bought Wii Fit will double dip at the end of this year.
Is there really any use of selling Wii Fit (the game/software itself) seperately? I can understand that they would sell the balance board seperately because other games than Wii Fit can use the Balance board, but dont you have to use the Balance Board with Wii Fit? Or maybe some modes in Wii Fit works without the Balance Board, like the jogging? And i guess that it would be possible to buy a used Balance Board seperately as well though :)

test_account said:
Is there really any use of selling Wii Fit (the game/software itself) seperately? I can understand that they would sell the balance board seperately because other games than Wii Fit can use the Balance board, but dont you have to use the Balance Board with Wii Fit? Or maybe some modes in Wii Fit works without the Balance Board, like the jogging? And i guess that it would be possible to buy a used Balance Board seperately as well though :)
The hypothetical "Wii Fit +" would be for the people who already bought the first one. These people won't need another BB, but Nintendo could always add multiplayer modes that need more then 1 BB to make them even more money.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
The hypothetical "Wii Fit +" would be for the people who already bought the first one. These people won't need another BB, but Nintendo could always add multiplayer modes that need more then 1 BB to make them even more money.
Ah, if it is a new Wii Fit game, then it makes sense. Thanks for mentioning this :) I thought it was about selling the current Wii Fit game with or without the balance board. Sorry for the missunderstanding.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:

I think consistent is a rather strong word to use there. And I would say that Wii has had much bigger software releases than anything on Ps3.

Link

The Autumn Wind
gtj1092 said:
I think consistent is a rather strong word to use there. And I would say that Wii has had much bigger software releases than anything on Ps3.
Seriously?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gtj1092 said:

Recently?

I would say no....

donny2112 said:
Most PS3 bundles lately seem to be 10K each from Kurosaki Ichigo's comments, though. However, that is for games.
Yup, I suppose FF7AC+demo one will be bigger than most of them which were 10k. But I really doubt it'll be like Minna no Golf 5 to be honest.

Its freaking 50,000Y btw, this is mainly going to be picked up by huge fans or collectors. Even if you are a FF fan, you would get the demo with the blu-ray movie alone, and get a cheap used PS3 or a normal 40,000Y SKU. If they even get it at all, and probably to sell it two weeks later.

What PS3 needs is an affordable SKU for the casual mass that its clearly not on boat, the hardcore really are there. All this new entries in well-known franchises are even doing better first day-first week numbers than previous entries or the whole franchise (see MGS4, RGG3, RE5...), but then they fall behind because there's no market outside the hardcore that line up the first day.

Sony should do the 3456 strategy (stupid strategy to follow):
PS3 - 30,000Y
Ape Escape 4
Gran Turismo 5
Minna no Golf 6

Or maybe I'm just trying to get me my fucking Ape Escape 4 already. Who knows :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So I mentioned this 2 weeks ago for fun, but at current rate, it's actually becoming interesting:
Code:
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 30,000/3,008,554
[WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 14,000 / 3,269,000
At current week's rate, MHP2G catches up to WiiFit in 16 weeks. If WiiFit stopped selling and MHP2G continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 8.6 weeks (June 2009).

I guess the streak will be broken during golden week or when WiiSport Resorts is out at latest, but just funny to watch.

cvxfreak

More Bic Camera price collapses:

Phantasy Star Zero - ¥2980
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Times - ¥2980 (DS version only)
Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe - ¥2980
Captain Rainbow - ¥980
Play on Wii: Pikmin - ¥1980
Tenchu IV - ¥1980 (Wii version only)

gtj1092

Link said:
Seriously?

So two major releases in back to back weeks is consider consistent and determine the game release pattern of a console thats been on the market for almost 3 years?

Does or does not the Wii have more big games than the Ps3? Plus the Wii has a more consistent overall release list. Something comes out for it at least once a week while the Ps3 doesn't have any releases some weeks.

Yes Boss!

cvxfreak said:
More Bic Camera price collapses:

Phantasy Star Zero - ¥2980
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Times - ¥2980 (DS version only)
Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe - ¥2980
Captain Rainbow - ¥980
Play on Wii: Pikmin - ¥1980
Tenchu IV - ¥1980 (Wii version only)

Fuck, I need that Captain Rainbow but all the Import houses still charge $60. Must be nice living in Japan!

schuelma

gtj1092 said:
So two major releases in back to back weeks is consider consistent and determine the game release pattern of a console thats been on the market for almost 3 years?

Does or does not the Wii have more big games than the Ps3? Plus the Wii has a more consistent overall release list. Something comes out for it at least once a week while the Ps3 doesn't have any releases some weeks.

Wii hasn't had a major release since November.

PS3 just had its #2 and #3 games release in consecutive weeks.

Wii Fit and Wii Sports can carry a console only so long.

gtj1092

schuelma said:
Wii hasn't had a major release since November.

PS3 just had its #2 and #3 games release in consecutive weeks.

Wii Fit and Wii Sports can carry a console only so long.

Animal Crossing? Wii music? Hasn't animal crossing out sold RE5 and Yakuza 3 combined?

Did you read the quote I was responding to. To claim that two releases in two weeks changed the buying patterns of the people owning a console thats been on the market for almost 3 years is pretty weak. Besides the fact that 5 million more people own the other console. At what point do we stop spinning? How long do we have to wait?

schuelma

gtj1092 said:
. To claim that two releases in two weeks changed the buying patterns of the people owning a console thats been on the market for almost 3 years is pretty weak. Besides the fact that 5 million more people own the other console. At what point do we stop spinning? How long do we have to wait?

I agree that those two releases haven't changed buying patterns or anything else. I guess I thought you were saying that Wii hardware/software sales should still be healthy right now. They really shouldn't.

Pachael

Fafalada said:
So I mentioned this 2 weeks ago for fun, but at current rate, it's actually becoming interesting:
Code:
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 30,000/3,008,554
[WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 14,000 / 3,269,000
At current week's rate, MHP2G catches up to WiiFit in 16 weeks. If WiiFit stopped selling and MHP2G continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 8.6 weeks (June 2009).

I guess the streak will be broken during golden week or when WiiSport Resorts is out at latest, but just funny to watch.

PS3 LTD is 3,059,161 (MC), so at this rate in 6 weeks MHP2G will catch the Japan PS3 LTD sales, which is also funny considering there was a big hoo-ha last year about Wii Fit overtaking the PS3 LTD (and at the rate it's selling in the NPD, maybe US PS3 LTD sales too? ;p)

From garaph.info - started from 2006-11-06, used Famitsu data for both:

Wii Fit v MHP2G comparison

2z8tbtj.png

Red: Wii Fit
Green: MHP2G
Best Blue: MHP2G

PS3 chart
2rg04s8.png

gtj1092

schuelma said:
I agree that those two releases haven't changed buying patterns or anything else. I guess I thought you were saying that Wii hardware/software sales should still be healthy right now. They really shouldn't.

Yeah you are right about the sales but everything is down pretty much. The wii hasn't had a major release in awhile and it sales reflect that when compared to its heights. On the other hand the consistency in sales despite any big releases should at least let you know the Wii is entrenched as the console of choice for Japan(even if the market isn't as big as it once was). Wii will most likely be ahead through summer and of course through fall and winter.

bcn-ron said:
November 2006 is not "almost three years ago".

Lol yeah i guess I should used "a little over two years old":D

Any way my point still stands.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If you're including first party software, then I can kind of see where you're coming from, though it should be quite obvious by now that while Nintendo's software always sells gangbusters, it can never sustain hardware sales on its own.

If we're talking about third party software (which is what I thought), then it's not even a contest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Link said:
If you're including first party software, then I can kind of see where you're coming from, though it should be quite obvious by now that while Nintendo's software always sells gangbusters, it can never sustain hardware sales on its own.

I disagree with both of those premises. Nintendo's software DOESN'T always sell gangbusters, and certain pieces of Nintendo software HAVE sustained hardware sales for far longer than any third-party game has sustained non-Nintendo hardware sales.

schuelma

Link said:
Nintendo's software always sells gangbusters, it can never sustain hardware sales on its own.

Huh? Wii Sports and Wii Fit sustained hardware for like 2 years :lol

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
I think consistent is a rather strong word to use there.

Demon's Soul - 2/5
Street Fighter IV - 2/12
Yakuza 3 - 2/26
Resident Evil 5 - 3/5
Musou Orochi Z - 3/12

No, it's not too strong a word to use there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is Demon's Souls (what the fuck name is this, jesus) coming to America? I would really like to play it I think. It has been getting fantastic word of mouth.

donny2112 said:
Demon's Soul - 2/5
Street Fighter IV - 2/12
Yakuza 3 - 2/26
Resident Evil 5 - 3/5
Musou Orochi Z - 3/12

No, it's not too strong a word to use there.

And don't forget the strong late Q4 with WKC and PES. People just seem to be more aware of PS3 releases now with the large number of big games that've been released in the past 4-5 months.

WinFonda

Y2Kev said:
Is Demon's Souls (what the fuck name is this, jesus) coming to America? I would really like to play it I think. It has been getting fantastic word of mouth.
I think based on the word of mouth, it's positive sales in Asia in general, the fact that it's already completely available in English, the fact that it's by From Software and Sony is publisher, the fact that it jives with Western sensibilities, and the fact that Sony is aware of their software gap in RPG's, will most certainly lead to a North American/European release.

WinFonda said:
I think based on the word of mouth, it's positive sales in Asia in general, the fact that it's already completely available in English, the fact that it's by From Software and Sony is publisher, the fact that it jives with Western sensibilities, and the fact that Sony is aware of their software gap in RPG's, will most certainly lead to a North American/European release.

Logic has no place in this thread. GET OUT!

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
~580K combined assuming 0 sales for the 360 version for the last two weeks. ~505K combined in Famitsu through last week assuming 0 sales for the 360 version last week.

Thanks, bttb! :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

icecream

Public Health Threat
bttb said:
First Day Sales (04/02)

[360] 11eyes CrossOver (5pb.) - LE 6,000 (70%) / SE 2,000 (60%)
An easy run to 10K. Though it's about average, I wonder if 5pb didn't expect a bit more.

manzo

icecream said:
An easy run to 10K. Though it's about average, I wonder if 5pb didn't expect a bit more.

How much do the basic ADV games run in Japan? Over 15k?

Amagami sold pretty well for an ADV game, but what's the normal amount?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Your standard console port nowadays does well in the 10~15K range. Original games like Amagami are expected to do better, so its ~55K sales are expected.

Though it's all a far cry from the previous days when a Tokimeki or a SentiGra could pull in ~300-400K in sales. :lol

mujun

pseudocaesar said:
Logic has no place in this thread. GET OUT!

logic?

based on how good the game is, well sure it should 100% be released in the u.s and europe. if you were to base it on sales in japan and asia though, releasing it isnt so logical.

mujun said:
logic?

based on how good the game is, well sure it should 100% be released in the u.s and europe. if you were to base it on sales in japan and asia though, releasing it isnt so logical.
Among Sony-published PS3 games in Japan, it's in the top third. It's currently in LittleBigPlanet territory, and above such games as Folklore, Afrika, Genji, and Aquanaut's Holiday.

mujun

JoshuaJSlone said:
Among Sony-published PS3 games in Japan, it's in the top third. It's currently in LittleBigPlanet territory, and above such games as Folklore, Afrika, Genji, and Aquanaut's Holiday.

sure but yakuza is like 400k right? and demons souls is around 100k right?

ive argued this in the official thread already but with the fact its so niche and the low sales.... i just dont see how anyone can argue bringing it to the west is a logical and foregone conclusion.

i wish they would of course, i just think its probably 50/50 at this point.

then again from software has released a bunch of niche shit in the west, maybe their dev costs are low enough that even a 100 or 200k in the west makes bringing it over worthwile.

mujun said:
Well in that case, the only games to come to the west will be Yakuza 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4. :lol
ive argued this in the official thread already but with the fact its so niche and the low sales.... i just dont see how anyone can argue bringing it to the west is a logical and foregone conclusion.

then again from software has released a bunch of niche shit in the west, maybe their dev costs are low enough that even a 100 or 200k in the west makes bringing it over worthwile.
I haven't really followed the game, so I don't have a stance as to its likelihood. But it's sales aren't bad for a Japanese PS3 game, so I don't that as an argument against it. It's done better than any of them From actually self-published and is still going.

Durante

mujun said:

You may have had a point if the game didn't already have a completely English version. Thus the cost of bringing it over should be well covered by 10k sales, not 100k.

Note that I'm not saying that Sony will actually release it in the west, you never know what's going on in their heads, but I do believe it's logical and even a foregone conclusion that doing so would be profitable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How did the original Etrian Odyssey do in its first few weeks?

Top Bottom