• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/23 - 03/29

mujun

either way lets hope they do.

i havent played any game ever as much as ive played it.

i played 120 hours of mass effect. im at something like 140 with demons souls.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:
Demon's Soul - 2/5
Street Fighter IV - 2/12
Yakuza 3 - 2/26
Resident Evil 5 - 3/5
Musou Orochi Z - 3/12

No, it's not too strong a word to use there.

Demon's soul and musou orochi z are big releases now? An undershipped game sent to die that is not even at 100,000 copies sold and a game that has been released on two other consoles? Also a 2d fighting game that barely cracked over 100,000 copies sold? If these games are considered big then the excuses of lack of advertising, undershipped, niche genre, or new ip can no longer be used for the sales of wii games in japan.

I mean what exactly are you basing your big game criteria on.

Rolf NB

gtj1092 said:
Demon's soul and musou orochi z are big releases now? An undershipped game sent to die that is not even at 100,000 copies sold and a game that has been released on two other consoles? Also a 2d fighting game that barely cracked over 100,000 copies sold? If these games are considered big then the excuses of lack of advertising, undershipped, niche genre, or new ip can no longer be used for the sales of wii games in japan.

The PS3 (hardware) has been outselling the Wii for a few weeks in a row. If those game releases aren't the reason, what is?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gtj1092 said:

They aren't big games, and I think its reasonable to say that those type of games generally do better on the PS3, but I think those releases combined with the big heavy hitters have definitely made a temporary impact- compare that slate to what Wii has brought out lately.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gtj1092 said:

Actual sales?

Here's a list of home console titles that have sold over 100,000 units this year:
Yakuza 3 (PS3), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), PES 2009 (PS2), Star Ocean 4 (360), Mario Tennis (Wii), Street Fighter IV (PS3), Musou Orochi Z (PS3). If you add games on the very cusp of 100k, you add: Demon's Souls (PS3), and Resident Evil 5 (360). In fact, only 2 console titles have sold more than 200k this year, both for PS3.

I think it goes without saying that the PS3 has the meatiest release calendar this year so far and I'm not really sure why you're arguing to the contrary.

Halycon said:
How did the original Etrian Odyssey do in its first few weeks?
143+-+Etrian+Odyssey+-+DS

It charted at #10 its first week, fell off the Top 30 the next two weeks, but on week 4 was back in #25.

Unrelatedly, I am having fun using Garaph on DSi. Go with size 256x176 to fit everything on screen at once and leave room for the bar. At least use one of those; only needing to scroll in one dimension is fine.

donny2112

I think others have already answered most of the concerns (Thanks! :) ), so I'll just add a bit.

gtj1092 said:
Demon's soul and musou orochi z are big releases now?
donny2112 said:
consistent, significant software releases

They are both significant, yes. The fact that they are sandwiching three very big/important other software releases includes them in the "consistent" part.

gtj1092 said:
donny2112 said:
consistent, significant software releases

What I'm basing the "significant" part on is somewhat pre-release hype but also expected and
Stumpokapow said:
Actual sales
. All of these debuted in the Top 10 on the PS3.

spwolf

lets be honest guys, most people in mc threads expected things to go back to their normal state after RE5 was released... this is unexpected situation right now.

jeremy1456

spwolf said:
lets be honest guys, most people in mc threads expected things to go back to their normal state after RE5 was releases... this is unexpected situation right now.

And things will be back to normal, shortly after the FFXIII demo releases.

This really isn't as unexpected as you might think.

schuelma

spwolf said:
lets be honest guys, most people in mc threads expected things to go back to their normal state after RE5 was released... this is unexpected situation right now.

I expected sales to be lower, yes, but I don't think the difference is that great or anything- instead of being at 15K its at 20K. I still don't see any maintaining of momentum after the FF13 demo.

iceatcs

pseudocaesar said:
Whens Killzone 2 released in Japan? Its in April sometime right?
It won't be big, but I'm wondering how the FPS doing in Japan?

I'm sure Metroid Prime probably the most one, maybe Halo next.

iceatcs said:

Resistance 1 did really well for a FPS. Don't know about the sequel though.

thaOwner

iceatcs said:

The only FPS game on either PS3 or 360 that managed to do over 100K was the first Resistance and I think that was with bundles and other market pushes.

Even Halo 3 has barely passed the 100K mark yet in Japan and SOCOM: Confrontation barely sold over 10K. Resistance could not even get to 70K seeing as how well the first one sold.

Its only Metroid actually.

Wollan

Neo-Sheperd said:
The only FPS game on either PS3 or 360 that managed to do over 100K was the first Resistance and I think that was with bundles and other market pushes.
Resistance managed it unbundled as it did it in the launch phase. A day or so into 2007 it was 101k or so I believe.
I think it was a freak launch occurrence, I'm guessing KZ2 will slow down drastically at 50k or so.

Rolf NB

I expect Killzone 2 to do 30k+ first week.

Basically, look at this:
2763+-+Call+of+Duty+4+-+PS3

Then add in another 15 months of hardware sales. I think I'm being offensively conservative here.

thaOwner

Wollan said:
Resistance managed it unbundled as it did it in the launch phase. A day or so into 2007 it was 101k or so I believe.
I think it was a freak launch occurrence, I'm guessing KZ2 will slow down drastically at 50k or so.

Really ? I was always under the impression that it managed to do half of its numbers in

Japan only because a bundle was introduced in Japan. Good for them then.

Famitsu Software Stuff

DS's Super Robot Taisen K is the top game this week, but it starts off lower than the other DS entry of two years ago: Super Robot Taisen W. Also much lower than last fall's Super Robot Taisen Z on PS2, which still seems to be the main Super Robot Taisen platform. Unrelatedly: this series must be running out of letters to stick at the end of titles by now?
SRT+K

Though the new PS2 and Wii Power Pro releases sit higher on the list, a surprise visit comes at #29 this week from the last DS Power Pro released in December. It last appeared in the Top 30 in January, but has apparently continued along pretty well out of sight.
3326+-+Power+Pro+Kun+Pocket+11+-+DS

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) has now passed the last known total of Partners in Time (212) and is less than 1,000 units from passing Superstar Saga (1150). And still has yet to drop from the top 10. Actually, its lowest rank yet was #6 the week starting March 2.

In its fourth week, Yakuza 3 (3445) falls behind Yakuza 2 (2540), but not by much yet.

A bit of a stranger comparison, but looking at some of the top third party console games this generation... it looks like Yakuza 3 will narrowly miss catching up to Taiko no Tatsujin Wii. Their totals are closer than ever this week, but Yakuza's weekly number is less than 1000 ahead, and it seems doubtful it will stick around at this level for a long time.
Y3

Neither Animal Crossing made the Top 30 this week.

spwolf said:
Err? It's not like RE5 is already distant history, or that PS3 sales are still close to what they were RE5 week anyway. Though this time there are two 30+K weeks in a row thanks to Yakuza 3, really the numbers aren't very different from the Gundabump of early 2007.
2009-02-16

Spiegel

Sinobi

[PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Bandai Namco Games) 30k
[NDS] Pro Yakyuu Famista DS 2009 (Bandai Namco Games) 29k
[WII] Doala de Wii (Tera Box) 1.2k

Famitsu Top 10 03/30-04/05

1. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Bandai Namco Games)
2. [NDS] Pro Yakyuu Famista DS 2009 (Bandai Namco Games) *NEW*
3. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom)
4. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo)
5. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009 (Konami)
6. [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (Koei)
7. [NDS] Super Robot Taisen K (Bandai Namco Games)
8. [PSP] Makai Senki Disgaea 2 Portable (Nippon Ichi Software)
9. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco Games)
10. [PS3] Winning Post World (Koei) *NEW*

Monster Hunter nº3? Taiko Wii in the top ten? Sloooow week

A re-entry for Taiko Wii and Mario & Luigi hanging on again - that's impressive, even if it is a quiet week (and with Winning Post taking the number 10 spot after such a low start, it must be!)

schuelma

Taiko Wii will pass DQ:Swords next week as the #1 3rd party game and will pass 500K this next week. Honestly, I think it has a shot to beat MGS4 and the PS2 entries.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
gconsole said:
Do you mean Monster Hunter?

MH is no RPG, an even if you include it M/L3 Legs are very nice for a RPG - cant argue that.

gantz85

Banned
Yakuza 3 and Resident Evil 5 for the PS3 poised to chart slightly below 500K LTD it seems.. I think give it 6 months of sales trickle and both may pass that 500K mark.

gtj1092

So that I understand; games become significant releases after they have sold well relatively speaking weather or not the game was suppose to be a big release in the first place (i.e. demon souls)? If this is the case can the mantra that Ps360 have no more big releases for the rest of the year stop since we don't know if any of their releases will approach 100k sold.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ps3 is getting new announcments every week in famitsu - whit wii ? not so much, momentum is dying for the lil white one....nintendo come on, do something ...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Tideas said:
media create is probably gonna be

Wii: 17k
PS3: 20k
Media-Create overshot it quite a lot last week compared to Famitsu, I can see them tracking PS3 lower to correct figures.

gantz85

Banned
Sage00 said:
Media-Create overshot it quite a lot last week compared to Famitsu, I can see them tracking PS3 lower to correct figures.

Is there a reason why it's MediaCreate overshooting and not Famitsu undershooting?

Winning Post in the top10, I thought I'd never see the day again, hasn't happened since 2005 actually. Wouldn't surprise anyone if this one actually ends up being the lowest week of the year though.

So I'm trying to find data about the latest Winning Post games and.....holy crap, nothing. All previous WP (not on PS2) did not chart anywhere, so only the 2ch leak telling us something about titles outside of top30 brings us some numbers.

So this is the best I can gather, first week comparisons from all WP games since 2005:

PS3 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007 - no data
PS3 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 5.400
[PS3] Winning Post World (Koei) - 12,000 / NEW

PSP Winning Post 6 2006 - no data
PSP Winning Post 6 2008 - 4.200

WII Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 1.500
[WII] Winning Post World (Koei) - 1,300 / NEW

PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2006 - 5.700
PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007 - 9.100
PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 5.800
[PS2] Winning Post World (Koei) - 7,700 / NEW

Yeah its that niche.

schuelma

gantz85 said:
Is there a reason why it's MediaCreate overshooting and not Famitsu undershooting?

Nope. The reverse happens from time to time as well. Though MC has had Wii lower for a while it seems like.

gantz85

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Winning Post in the top10, I thought I'd never see the day again, hasn't happened since 2005 actually. Wouldn't surprise anyone if this one actually ends up being the lowest week of the year though.

So I'm trying to find data about the latest Winning Post games and.....holy crap, nothing. All previous WP (not on PS2) did not chart anywhere, so only the 2ch leak telling us something about titles outside of top30 brings us some numbers.

So this is the best I can gather, first week comparisons from all WP games since 2005:

PS3 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007 - no data
PS3 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 5.400
[PS3] Winning Post World (Koei) - 12,000 / NEW

PSP Winning Post 6 2006 - no data
PSP Winning Post 6 2008 - 4.200

WII Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 1.500
[WII] Winning Post World (Koei) - 1,300 / NEW

PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2006 - 5.700
PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007 - 9.100
PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 - 5.800
[PS2] Winning Post World (Koei) - 7,700 / NEW

Yeah its that niche.

What is Winning Post?

Would that mean that 12,000 units is its best performance ever?

schuelma

cw_sasuke said:
Ps3 is getting new announcments every week in famitsu - whit wii ? not so much, momentum is dying for the lil white one....nintendo come on, do something ...

There is absolutely no correlation between any Famitsu announcements and current weekly sales. The correlation would be between 2007-08 sales and announcements.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
gantz85 said:
What is Winning Post?

Would that mean that 12,000 units is its best performance ever?
Horse racing/training sim. But no it was much bigger in the days we don't have numbers for.

Top Bottom