• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 08/18 - 08/24

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Heya JJ--I'm trying to update my top 10 PSP chart but it doesn't look like garaph has the updated numbers (it shows 329k for Phantasy Star Portable still). Any ideas?

Steroyd

sphinx said:
you mean people buy Brain training to be less stupid and Wii fit to burn fat?

I don't think those reasons are more important than "having fun" in the minds of casuals.

There's a reason why Gaf coined the term "non-game".

Jonnyram

sp0rsk said:
Lack of hype methinks. I have a feeling advertising is low key until the anime starts.
It's new IP. You can't make hype for new IP. It needs word of mouth to carry sales. Or at least catchy promotion.

I'm trying to think of the best opening week for a new IP in recent years. I'm struggling to come up with much beyond Blue Dragon, which had the awesome CG and Toriyama design for a healthy start. Other new IP that has done well has only done so over time, thanks to word of mouth and peer pressure (i.e. Layton, Rhythm Tengoku, Monster Hunter, Brain Training, nintendogs, Dead Rising, etc.) Consoles will always have an advantage here, because they're just going to have more attractive ads and in-store kiosks by default, so DS stuff really needs word of mouth to explode.

Busaiku

Jonnyram said:
It's new IP. You can't make hype for new IP. It needs word of mouth to carry sales. Or at least catchy promotion.

I'm trying to think of the best opening week for a new IP in recent years. I'm struggling to come up with much beyond Blue Dragon, which had the awesome CG and Toriyama design for a healthy start. Other new IP that has done well has only done so over time, thanks to word of mouth and peer pressure (i.e. Layton, Rhythm Tengoku, Monster Hunter, Brain Training, nintendogs, Dead Rising, etc.) Consoles will always have an advantage here, because they're just going to have more attractive ads and in-store kiosks by default, so DS stuff really needs word of mouth to explode.
Layton started out really high though.
120k debut.

theultimo said:
WOW @ Phantasy Star

Its MHP2 all over again.
Not quiiiite. It took MHP2G over two months to get a week below 40K.

Osuwari said:
also, is MKW close to passing MK64?
Any time now. It seems like MC's count for MK Wii is a bit ahead of Famitsu's, but Famitsu's last known total for MK64 is 1,711,661.

vareon said:
I'm surprised Crisis Core didn't reach 1 million in Japan.
I think the only non-numbered FF games to hit a million were the first Tactics and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon games a decade ago. Riding high on post-VII love, I suppose.

PantherLotus said:
Heya JJ--I'm trying to update my top 10 PSP chart but it doesn't look like garaph has the updated numbers (it shows 329k for Phantasy Star Portable still). Any ideas?
Famitsu is currently a week more behind than they normally are, so software totals currently only go up to August 3. There'll probably be a two-week update tomorrow night.

nli10

Busaiku said:
Layton started out really high though.
120k debut.

A lot of the puzzles have a recognition factor for the casual market though - I think the marketing may have had a better target there.

I think that releasing against W11 may have increased recognition amongst football fans, but possibly mean that some are to pick up after playing the 'bigger' game.

Osuwari

Mr Killemgood said:
30. GC Mario Superstar Baseball

lol wut. who could see this one coming?
it even outsold the wii version.

is the word of mouth so bad for the wii version that it made people pick up the old game instead?
i wonder what kind of sales are in those ranks in times like this.

Osuwari said:
lol wut. who could see this one coming?
it even outsold the wii version.

is the word of mouth so bad for the wii version that it made people pick up the old game instead?
i wonder what kind of sales are in those ranks in times like this.
Even on slow weeks, rank 30 can usually be counted on to be 4K. Considering the game originally dropped under 4K about 35 months ago and didn't have sufficient legs to sell the necessary ~16K in 2007 to make the yearly Top 500, it suddenly showing up so high seems fishy.

Unless we get the MC Top 50 and they're both on there, my guess would be someone just accidentally stuck the Wii game's sales to the GCN version.

jesusraz

So, Sigma Harmonics actually starts slower than Nanashi no Game...and Fire Emblem's gone from the Top 30 after such a short time :/

Busaiku

jesusraz said:
Fire Emblem's gone from the Top 30 after such a short time :/
Didn't even notice that before.
How could it have taken such a drop?
Were there supply problems or something?
It just seems so strange that it's even lower than Summon Night.

Back again, here´s the Famitsu Top30. :)

DSL: 57.000
PSP: 46.000
WII: 29.000
PS3: 8.300
PS2: 7.800
360: 3.800

1. J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (PS2) 81.000 [81.000]
2. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS) 55.000 [557.000]
3. Inazuma Eleven (NDS) 41.000 [41.000]
4. Phantasy Star Portable (PSP) 35.000 [545.000]
5. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de: Yumenoukihashi (NDS) 29.000 [29.000]
6. Wii Fit (Wii) 26.000 [2.498.000]
7. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (NDS) 25.000 [1.102.000]
8. Sigma Harmonics (NDS) 25.000 [25.000]
9. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (NDS) 17.000 [286.000]
10. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 15.000 [1.678.000]

11. Memories Off 6: Trial Wave (PS2) 13.000 [13.000]
12. Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (NDS) 13.000 [307.000]
13. Tokyo Majin Gakuen: Kenfuuchou (NDS) 13.000 [13.000]
14. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (PS2) 12.000 [182.000]
15. Wii Sports (Wii) 10.000 [3.105.000]
16. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) 9.100 [2.397.000]
17. Tales of Vesperia (360) 8.000 [128.000]
18. Mario Kart DS (NDS) 7.800 [3.182.000]
19. Wario Land Shake (Wii) 7.600 [83.000]
20. We're Fossil Diggers (NDS) 7.400 [197.000]
21. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) 5.900 [5.265.000]
22. Wii Play (Wii) 5.800 [2.461.000]
23. Super Mario Stadium Baseball (Wii) 5.400 [165.000]
24. Fatal Frame 4 (Wii) 5.400 [55.000]
25. Sangokushi Taisen Ten (NDS) 5.300 [53.000]
26. Soul Calibur 4 (PS3) 5.200 [109.000]
28. Animal Crossing: Wild World (NDS) 5.100 [4.718.000]
29. Derby Stallion DS (NDS) 5.000 [249.000]
30. Gundam Battle Universe (PSP) 5.000 [235.000]

xx. Secret Game: Killer Queen (PS2) 4.500
xx. Vampire Rain: Altered Species (PS3) 2.300
xx. Uwasa no Midori-kun!! 2 Futari no Midori!? (NDS) 1.300
xx. Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS (Reprint) (NDS) 1.100

I find the three well-known new titles numbers pretty disappointing.

Last year, J-League WE 2007 did 137k first week, 2006 did 91k so 2008 would rank third overall (all previous ones were way smaller). In that sense, it'd look good, but still quite a drop from last year version. We should expect legs though, these titles range from 35 to 45% of first week / total.

Inazuma is a quite big project, so an underwhelming start doesn't help but from what sinobi has said and all, its going to get quite a push with the anime and all, so it should have legs, good ones at that. Makes me wonder how will World Destruction do (new IP, anime-manga-game and all...).

Sigma Harmonics, ewww, not only its not anywhere near IaWW, its lower than Nanashi no Game first week. And that game had no name (cough). Really, it's disappointing.

Now, Harukanaru whatever-more, suffering from Koei milking (do they NOT milk any of their series?) but has done pretty well. Looking at garaph, its on par with most PS2 entries first week, only way lower than the latest one, 4th one for PS2 this June, which did 58k first week. Probably the one that has done the best from all those new titles.

PD: oh and what a collapse for hardware, Wii looking bad compared to last year:
2nd+3rd week of August Wii did 133k
4th week of August Wii did 50k
September went like this (48k->38k->30k->27k->25k)
Lower point being October first week (21k)

This year Wii has done just 29k in August 3rd week

Parl

I'm thinking it's about time for Nintendo to start getting them colours out for Wii in Japan.

What's the promotion like on Wii's heavy hitters (Wii Sports, Fit, Mario Kart, etc) in Japan?

I'm thinking AC: CF and Wii Music could give it a big long-term boost, with the possibility of Wii Sports Resort helping out. I'm not sure if it truly will be the same "crowd" as Wii Sports who will like this as the games within them are of very, very different style. Plus, the benefits of WiiMotionPlus could help the game appeal to a different audience than Wii Sports even more.

As for DS, there's plenty left to drive hardware sales here. Some new colours can help, but mostly a new model that can appeal to people who don't own a DS already (or can appeal strongly enough to those that do). A price drop can help too, but I don't think there's many people left who actually currently wants a DS and are not buying one because of the price, or because they're expecting a price drop in the not-too-distance future.

jesusraz

Busaiku said:
Didn't even notice that before.
How could it have taken such a drop?
Were there supply problems or something?
It just seems so strange that it's even lower than Summon Night.
Surely has to be supply constraint. Very strong first week, pretty damn decent second week...then disappearing? I call shenanigans!

Seems Taiko no Tatsujin 2 is well on track to at least match its 400,000 sales projection. Does anyone know if it's still tracking ahead of the first game?

Wii sales are affected by lack of titles, especially from 3rd parties.

Last summer Mario Party 8 dominated the sales, but Gundam 0079 and Konami's Powerful Baseball had very good numbers. And there still wa some DQ:S love.
This year Powerful Baseball has has been "killed" by Super Mario Baseball, which was released just one month before Konami's title.

Look at the chart, you can see only Nintendo titles. If Wii momentum fires down, it would be a problem, consumers would see the platform as the usual Nintendo system in which you can only find Nintendo games.

Last year September and October were terrible in term of sales for Wii hw, this year it could be better due to a strong lineup, every week will see a release, and this is very important for hardware sales.

But i think we'll see new colors before the end of the year, probably Nintendo is not so much happy about Wii huge sales drop...

batbeg

Inazuma did better than I expected after Sinobi's warning, but worse than I would have wanted it to do :( I too hope it has some ballin' legs.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
While I'm hardly happy with Inazuma Eleven's score, I was expecting worse. Hopefully there is good word of mouth, breaking 100k would be nice.

Laguna

Banned
Galactic Fork said:
While I'm hardly happy with Inazuma Eleven's score, I was expecting worse. Hopefully there is good word of mouth, breaking 100k would be nice.

I doubt this will be a problem for IE. It is really a shame that they released this game after the Obon-holiday it could have done better. I still expect a decent second week and good word of mouth though - atleast 100k ltd is a safe bet imo. Sigma Harmonics performance is even worse (expected) and realy weak but again why release a new IP after the Obon-holiday especialy considering that now is a period when students start their preperations for new term? That other games like Dragon Quest, RTG and Co. still sell well doesn´t help these games either.

What happened to Fire Emblem? Is it realy sold out like it was reported last week?

I don't have any inside knowledge on what's with Fire Emblem, but I can say this: The GBA ones stayed on the (Famitsu) Top 30 for 13, 11, and 7 weeks respectively, so dropping off this soon without shortage would be a bit of a change. The GCN one hung around for 4 weeks, and Wii 3. Though it looks like sales were pretty high soon after Radiant Dawn's release; it had at least a couple more ~8K weeks that normally would've made Top 30.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Inazuma is a quite big project, so an underwhelming start doesn't help but from what sinobi has said and all, its going to get quite a push with the anime and all
So what's the deal? It's an all-new IP, and they didn't go for the simultaneous launch?

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't have any inside knowledge on what's with Fire Emblem, but I can say this: The GBA ones stayed on the (Famitsu) Top 30 for 13, 11, and 7 weeks respectively, so dropping off this soon without shortage would be a bit of a change. The GCN one hung around for 4 weeks, and Wii 3. Though it looks like sales were pretty high soon after Radiant Dawn's release; it had at least a couple more ~8K weeks that normally would've made Top 30.

So what's the deal? It's an all-new IP, and they didn't go for the simultaneous launch?
Wouldn't surprise me if Fire Emblem was sold out (to regular amazon.co.jp lurkers, it's been sold out quite long and such, right now shipment due in 31th August). It's been the same to Band Bros for example. Famitsu rankings for it have been 30 -> 14 -> 7 -> 9, so Nintendo having restocking issues wouldn't surprise any of us. Hell, I wonder if Rhythm Tengoku Gold isn't scarce too.

Dunno about Inazuma, I'm sure there is a manga too but I dunno how they all tie in story-wise and all. Still, they must be pretty confident to release it prior to the anime (and overall marketing push the IP overall its supposed to be getting).

EDIT: Btw, its the first time PSP drops below 50k since Slim & Lite came out!

jesusraz

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wouldn't surprise me if Fire Emblem was sold out (to regular amazon.co.jp lurkers, it's been sold out quite long and such, right now shipment due in 31th August). It's been the same to Band Bros for example. Famitsu rankings for it have been 30 -> 14 -> 7 -> 9, so Nintendo having restocking issues wouldn't surprise any of us. Hell, I wonder if Rhythm Tengoku Gold isn't scarce too.
I suspected that was the case with BBDX. To me it seems either Nintendo's been playing things too safe with initial shipments after the likes of ASH, Soma Bringer and Glory of Heracles, or retailers had kind of lost a bit of faith in how well Nintendo-published DS game can do in the short-term and totally underestimated demand.

adamma666

so, according to Famitsu, Vesperia is struggling to reach at least 150k. kinda sad, I really hoped and expected it to do at least Blue Dragon-level numbers. I would never have thought that BD was such a big title for the 360 in japan and that even a mainline Tales-game cannot reach its sales. color me surprised.

adamma666 said:
so, according to Famitsu, Vesperia is struggling to reach at least 150k. kinda sad, I really hoped and expected it to do at least Blue Dragon-level numbers. I would never have thought that BD was such a big title for the 360 in japan and that even a mainline Tales-game cannot reach its sales. color me surprised.
Even a knockoff Dragon Quest is worth more than most recent Tales games, it seems.

150K would also put it ahead of most PSP Tales releases.

nli10

JoshuaJSlone said:

I guess they decided the manga was the more important product and are using the game to build up marketing hype for that which when(if) the cartoon takes off will feed sales of the game. Residual marketing has to work both ways to be sucessful.

Vinnk

So what qualifies as a mainline Tales game these days? Wasn't Tempest originally called one but had it's official status stripped from it?

It seems so arbitrary.

why so low Wii numbers? I don't recall it ever getting less than 30k

on the software side, I'm glad Wario hangs in there, although not in good shape. HANG IN THERE LARDASS

Anasui Kishibe said:
why so low Wii numbers? I don't recall it ever getting less than 30k

on the software side, I'm glad Wario hangs in there, although not in good shape. HANG IN THERE LARDASS
You've forgotten last year. Right around this time actually. Kids are heading back to school, so not too many folks are buying I would imagine.

SovanJedi said:
I thought that reasoning was saved for the PAL Chart threads?
Japanese school is on a whole other level compared to Western countries. These kids barely get time to take a shit, let alone play video games. Crazy fucking parents.

Segata Sanshiro said:
You've forgotten last year. Right around this time actually. Kids are heading back to school, so not too many folks are buying I would imagine.

had forgotten about that, and Ive just watched My boss My hero!

jesusraz

Tenbatsu said:
Fatal Frame 4 is still alive:)
Perhaps Nintendo has already offered replacements for the copies with that major bug in it, leading to better word-of-mouth spreading. Should scrape its way past the previous two games' totals.

jimbo

Banned
Heh, I missed this. Just got back from NY and Canada. To all those Canadian Gafers, you guys should be proud, you have a really nice country, at least what I caught of Niagra Falls and Toronto, and it's not as cold as people make it out to be. But your dollars, look REALLY funny, especially the $5 bill with kids playing hockey.

Ahem. Anyway, when does everyone expect the 360 to get re-stocked. Next week? Or will it be the week after, when IU launches? Maybe this was all planned, for the rumored price drop? Or IU bundle?

And if those Famitsu numbers are accurate, I still don't understand the small spike the PS3 had last week and what caused it. Now it looks to be back down on its downward spiral that it was on prior to TOV. At this rate the 360 may outsell it again when it gets re-stocked, without a game spike. Interesting times ahead.

Busaiku

Vinnk said:
And very low supplies of FE and RTG (most stores are sold out of FE)
Well, good to see that it's not just lost all its demand, not like I would've expected it to...
Wonder why Nintendo dropped the ball on this one.

xero273

jimbo said:
And if those Famitsu numbers are accurate, I still don't understand the small spike the PS3 had last week and what caused it. Now it looks to be back down on its downward spiral that it was on prior to TOV. At this rate the 360 may outsell it again when it gets re-stocked, without a game spike. Interesting times ahead.

I might have got my weeks mixed up, but last week the spike was because of a holiday in Japan.

jimbo

Banned
xero273 said:
I might have got my weeks mixed up, but last week the spike was because of a holiday in Japan.

Aaah. That explains it. What holiday was it?

I can't help but think this 360 shortage what somewhat planned by MS because of the upcoming price drop. Did they already clear out the 20GB's in Japan prior to this? Because it would make sense that's how they got caught off guard.
xero273 said:

Man you guys are fast. Thanks.

Top Bottom