• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/01 - 09/07

harSon

Banned
I think it's time for Sakaguchi to call it quits on the DS, although I have to admit Away is looking pretty awesome :D

Slow weak is slow.

Fafalada said:
I could be wrong, but from what I remember neither HS nor Ratchet PS3 broke 40k in week one in Japan. Afrika may actually be tracking higher then either one, right now.
Did they even make 40k LTD yet? :lol Ratchet bombed big time, there wasn't really much to expect from HS though.

So yeah, Afrika should be tracking higher for sure. But I can see where people are coming from. It was a heavily touted title and was featured prominently even at the PS3 reveal, from that perspective crawling to 100k isn't really something to write home about. Otoh the way the project was handled after it's reveal I expected less from it.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Blue Dragon didn't do as well as I thought it would. Wasn't this really popular with the 360 audience?
Was really popular (for 360 standards) as a classic JRPG.

I think after the ASH fiasco the writing was on the wall. Do we have sellthrough percentages, it would be interesting to see what retail expected out of the title.

jeremy1456

harSon said:
I think it's time for Sakaguchi to call it quits on the DS, although I have to admit Away is looking pretty awesome :D

I wouldn't surprised if Blue Dragon+ actually turned a profit though.

harSon

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
I wouldn't surprised if Blue Dragon+ actually turned a profit though.

I wouldn't be so sure, 21,000 copies sold fails to even cross the $1,000,000 threshold. I'm sure ~$600,000 isn't enough to recoup development costs after AQI takes their cut.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
Since you've already put your stuff in the second post, I'll just update the original post as normal. Next week, I'll try to go to sleep early. :p

P.S. I like that you're not doing the columns for 11-30, since that keeps the title intact. :)

Cool.

Speaking of the columns, I'm not sure I even like it. The marginal amount it looks better isn't worth the extra work or the distorted game titles.

Also, how are you translating?

lo zaffo

Very good performances of Rhythm Tengu Gold and Fire Emblem in spite of stiff competition. Sad thing I don't like both. Nintendo's Wii software is either totally up, i.e. Wii fit and Mario Kart, or down, i.e. almost all the rest but it's like this on purpose I guess.

Eteric Rice

I think Mistwalker needs to rethink everything they're doing.

Then again, I'm uncertain about RPGs in Japan right now anyway. I think the genre might be in a lul.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
are we talking about Blue Dragon as a whole flopping or DS ?

they targetted 200k sales in Japan for XBOAT and achieved that goal, it's also part of the RPG line up now attracting new gamers to the Xboat, so i think MS/MistWalker know exactly what they are doing on that front.

DCharlie

come on,
200k on the X360 in Japan to date is bombing?
best selling game on the X360 in Japan?
intention to be a JRPG to appeal to X360?

and it bombed?

despite hitting the exact target set for success of 200k sales?

that's nowhere near bombing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DCharlie said:
come on,
200k on the X360 in Japan to date is bombing?
best selling game on the X360 in Japan?
intention to be a JRPG to appeal to X360?

and it bombed?

despite hitting the exact target set for success of 200k sales?

that's nowhere near bombing.

Anime? Flop
Manga? Flop
DS game? Flop

The first big 360 JRPG made feeding off the hype of its creators who hadn't made a game in years, 200k isn't too surprising. The "Blue Dragon" name has no selling power.

jimbo said:
So you want them to drop the best selling 360 game in Japan?

Why not just drop everything while we are at it? No more 360 games for Japan.

He's talking about the franchise and its apparent inability to be marketed to Japan. They've given it a major "do not want" in every way, shape or form it's appeared in.

jimbo

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Anime? Flop
Manga? Flop
DS game? Flop

The first big 360 JRPG made feeding off the hype of its creators who hadn't made a game in years, 200k isn't too surprising. The "Blue Dragon" name has no selling power.

That means they should drop everything OTHER than the MAIN series. Obviously 200k wasn't enough to make a name for itself, so the plan of feeding off of the original should go, but a sequel on the 360 is well granted.

sprsk

Jonnyram said:
You're high.
It's in the middle of its second season.

Eh, I deal with thousands of kids every day, I hear all about what's popular and Blue Dragon is definitely not one of those things. The DS game is proof of that.

DCharlie

Anime? Flop
Manga? Flop
DS game? Flop

X360 game? success.

i see no reason to abandon the main project.

also... are the anime and manga flops??
by what yard stick?

Syntek

Hive said:
Sp0rsk, i don't have numbers to show otherwise, but are you sure Ral(Omega)Grad flopped?

Either it was intended to be short serial right off the bat, or it was cut by the editors. The mangaka's reputation was pretty much the only thing that kept it going in the first place.

sprsk

DCharlie said:
X360 game? success.

by what yard stick?

By the yard stick of other anime and manga that are successes. Bleach, Naruto, One piece, the shonen manga Blue Dragon is in competition with.

Hive

Banned
DCharlie said:
X360 game? success.

by what yard stick?

no, the manga at least, did not flop, AFAIK and it's doing well in the states too.
It only spans four issues, too

jimbo

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Eh, I deal with thousands of kids every day, I hear all about what's popular and Blue Dragon is definitely not one of those things. The DS game is proof of that.

1. Anecdotal evidence.
2. DS is proof of that? What does the 360 game prove then? Games still have to be good, to be purchased by people. Name is not enough, especially when you are talking about a relatively new and small name like BD.

It's like asking Square to drop FF when The Spirits Within flopped.

sprsk

jimbo said:
1. Anecdotal evidence.
2. DS is proof of that? What does the 360 game prove then? Games still have to be good, to be purchased by people. Name is not enough, especially when you are talking about a relatively new and small name like BD.

Call it anecdotal evidence if you want, I highly doubt that the elementary and middle schools I go to are some crazy anti Blue Dragon zones.

What does the 360 sales prove? Look at the 360 userbase.

DCharlie

What does the 360 sales prove? Look at the 360 userbase.

what is that even supposed to mean?

The DS sales figures proves a lack of interest via an absence of sales,
but we can disregard the X360 sales success because of the userbase?

you can't use the same yard stick twice but reject the one that doesn't fit your analysis surely?

sprsk

DCharlie said:
what is that even supposed to mean?

The DS sales figures proves a lack of interest via an absence of sales,
but we can disregard the X360 sales success because of the userbase?

you can't use the same yard stick twice but reject the one that doesn't fit your analysis surely?

It's not the same yardstick.

Otaku vs every elementary and middle school kid in the country is not the same yardstick.

Fafalada said:
I could be wrong, but from what I remember neither HS nor Ratchet PS3 broke 40k in week one in Japan. Afrika may actually be tracking higher then either one, right now.

My mistake. I was thinking worldwide numbers (1 million at least, like those two). That was when Afrika was big on press conferences. Later on i found out it was Japan only.

I know that Ratchet and HS bombed in Japan, but that was kind of expected.

I just thougt that WW, Afrika would have a similar impact, but things change, its not even a WW title anymore.

DCharlie

Otaku vs every elementary and middle school kid in the country is not the same yardstick

okay, so - Blue Dragon is popular with Otaku, it's not popular with kids.

even if we go with this - drop the kids projects, continue with the otaku projects.

taking your take on things, it's a flop with kids , but not with Otaku right?

so i'm not sure why the should drop BD altogether.

jrricky

Banned
harSon said:
I wouldn't be so sure, 21,000 copies sold fails to even cross the $1,000,000 threshold. I'm sure ~$600,000 isn't enough to recoup development costs after AQI takes their cut.
umm it was one week sales.......then again, it must've died after the first week.

sprsk

DCharlie said:

even if we go with this - drop the kids projects, continue with the otaku projects.

Let's just save the argument till BD2 comes out.

DCharlie said:

let it go man, let it go. the straws can no longer be grasped....

harSon

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Mistwalker needs to move away from Blue Dragon -- it flopped.

It was a solid game that sold well considering its a JRPG on a hardcore oriented platform, 500k + is nothing to sneeze at... especially for an RPG not named Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

sprsk

Jonnyram said:
How about a fair comparison? I hear Sengoku Basara did GREAT on Wii :p

That hurts. (Though, the Wii version was a rerelease, plus an expansion at a higher price than the PS2 version, so it's not really THAT fair)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yay BD+ flopped! Now give us a proper sequel MS/MW/Artoon, and do a better job at explaining the story of BD+ in BD2 than KH2 did CoM!

... unless it doesn't matter.

I think Mistwalker's fundamental problem is that they are trying to be a SE clone, and SE is really the only company in the Japanese market that has ever succeeded in high-budget, graphics-pushing RPGs.

mclem

Gooo Tengoku!

I think it needs to get onto the next DS legs chart thing whenever one of those comes up. It's the first new game in quite some time on the platform to Just Keep Going like that, isn't it?

I can't disagree more with sporsk's crazy craziness in this thread. Blue Dragon is a worthwhile IP and I am quite certain that a sequel for 360 is already in development.

Pureauthor said:
I think Mistwalker's fundamental problem is that they are trying to be a SE clone, and SE is really the only company in the Japanese market that has ever succeeded in high-budget, graphics-pushing RPGs.

Mistwalker's fundamental problem is that they don't have a business plan built around success. (Yeah, I know that's kind of tautological.)

Most accounts suggest that Sakaguchi was a very touchy-feely manager when he was at S-E, big on building up new talent but not otherwise interested in micromanaging or telling people what to do. (Wada's pretty much continued that, minus the "building up new talent" thing.) It seems like Mistwalker is somewhat the same way -- they don't have a coherent plan for what games they're making, or how to market said games when they release, or when their games will be ready. This worked out okay for the 360 games but when they just kind of shit out these crappy DS games that no one really took the time to love and nurture onto the market they get swallowed up.

Fafalada said:
At least by Famitsu's view, I haven't seen either hit 40K yet.
Heavenly

I am surprised at Afrika. It seemed like something that would mostly be ignored. An Eternal Ocean on land.

duckroll

sp0rsk said:
Anime? Flop
Manga? Flop
DS game? Flop

How is the anime a flop when it ran for 52 episodes and then got a SECOND SEASON that's running now? :p

What about the Konami Blue Dragon Trading Card game? They're pumping expansions out regularly too. Doesn't seem like a bomb to me. It's not exactly a huge franchise that's super-popular, but there's definitely a fanbase, it's too bad that the DS game totally didn't even try to tap into that by being a game that no one would want to buy. :p

jesusraz

duckroll said:
How is the anime a flop when it ran for 52 episodes and then got a SECOND SEASON that's running now? :p

What about the Konami Blue Dragon Trading Card game? They're pumping expansions out regularly too. Doesn't seem like a bomb to me. It's not exactly a huge franchise that's super-popular, but there's definitely a fanbase, it's too bad that the DS game totally didn't even try to tap into that by being a game that no one would want to buy. :p
You think it would have done better if it'd been a Trading Card RPG instead?

pulga

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Anime? Flop
Manga? Flop
DS game? Flop

Flop.

Top Bottom