• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/15 - 09/21

icecream

Public Health Threat
donny2112 said:
I think the best PS3 Trusty Bell can hope to do is to slightly surpass the 360 version (e.g. < 10K difference). It'll probably end up at or just below the 360 total, though.
Pretty good for a year later port to match the LTD of the original then.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
icecream said:

I don't think there's really any excuse (or equivocation) needed, unless all 360 owners also own a PS3, which might actually be likely. There are numerous reasons why it will probably not sell very much, but nonetheless it will do decent for an old port. I do think that this shows that people were buying the 360 for specific games that they wanted at the time, rather than waiting to buy it on the PS3.

Jonnyram

icecream said:
Not really. Pretty much all the PS3 games have outsold their 360 brethren, in spite of delays. The PS3 has a more casual audience so sales tend to tail out over longer periods.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jonnyram said:
Not really. Pretty much all the PS3 games have outsold their 360 brethren, in spite of delays.
The length, especially the span of a year, does affect things.

Lost Planet sold less than its 360 brethren. But at least Trusty Bell is putting up a decent start, even if it does end up like LP and only sells half as much.

I always think of a "bomba" as shocking or startling. Namco didn't ship much more than sold this week of Trusty Bell, which shows where their hopes were. Sure, lowered expectations don't pay the bills--the game isn't selling well, no matter the reasons--but do we have to imbue every low number with significance? Can't some sales just be, y'know, run-of-the-mill? Not even the mighty DS pulls 100,000 on every title.

Perhaps I'm just callous.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm pretty sure Inazuma 11 broke 100k this week. I wonder if it'll get a bump when the anime is released (assuming the anime is popular). Might crawl its way to 150k.

RpgN

icecream said:
The length, especially the span of a year, does affect things.

Lost Planet sold less than its 360 brethren. But at least Trusty Bell is putting up a decent start, even if it does end up like LP and only sells half as much.

And Namco didn't quite have a decent shipment figure. I'm not sure, but I read that the xbox version had more shipment copies for the first week?

jgwhiteus

I can understand how Trusty Bell might not be a bomb "relative to the 360 version", but that's kind of a low bar to set. I don't think Namco Bandai cares about console competition in this case ("did it not sell well better on the PS3 or 360?!!"), they care about absolute numbers compared to their investment. Same thing with the low retailer shipment - it doesn't matter if it sells 60% or even 90% of its first shipment if the first shipment is small - a small shipment means retailers don't have much confidence in the title selling, and didn't place many orders.

I don't mean to rag on TB, but those numbers really can't be viewed in a good light. They probably help NB recoup their investment more than if they just released it on a single console...but I think there's a reason that we haven't been seeing big console RPG's announced in the pages of Famitsu recently (seriously, when was the last major one announced?) There are still some major ones in the pipeline from before, but DS/PSP seem to be where it's at for new RPG announcements.

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
[ ] Tales all the way down to 28th.
[ ] IU less than 14k.

That's actually not bad for ToV considering it had come back into the top 30's last week after such a huge drop. I'm surprized it managed to pull it off for another week. It may continue to sell a few here and there over the holidays, but it will probably be out of the top 30 next week.

PantherLotus said:
Code:
[B][U]Hardware  | This Week | Last Week | Last Month |     YTD    |    LTD         [/U][/B]     
DS                    |    63,859 |    227,705 |  2,181,458 |  23,417,921
PSP                   |    30,156 |    153,886 |  2,698,699 |  10,330,455
WII                   |    29,686 |    133,742 |  2,104,237 |   6,750,083
PS3                   |     8,053 |     35,165 |    639,404 |   2,150,825
[B]360                   |    28,188 |     35,907 |    [B]131,507 [/B]|     671,204[/B]
PS2                   |     7,669 |     32,847 |    278,701 |  21,205,738

BTW, Panther what is going on with your YTD numbers? I saw a descrepancy a few days ago with your 360 numbers and going back and adding up each with for the 360, and I am coming up with 161,880. You may want to check your others as well, because I didn't have time to do each one since I don't have all the data in one place.

cvxfreak

As fantastic as 360 sales have been lately, I can't imagine Vesperia or Infinite Undiscovery to be considered particularly successful in Japan. Vesperia's lackluster showing in its debut month in NA must also be worrisome. With that in mind, and the apparent lack of interest in belated 360 ports by PS3 owners, I think Namco and SE should get their 360 exclusives ported within a more reasonable time period than what we saw with Trusty Bell.

Assuming this pattern kept up, I'm glad Biohazard 5 wasn't a timed-exclusive. That would have been a painful sight.

Firestorm

Does Media-Create update the YTDs or LTDs every 6 or 12 months for all the games of the year? Or is that just Famitsu?

Well, iirc Namco wanted 500k for Vesperia worldwide. It's done about 133k in Japan. Means it needs to make up 367k in NA and EU. It definitely didn't do the at least 200k it would need to do in NA and looking at the lineup this fall, I don't think it's going to see a sales spurt anytime soon... I do think it at least did better than Abyss and Legendia in NA though. Not launching in the same month as FFXII probably helped.

jimbo

Banned
cvxfreak said:
As fantastic as 360 sales have been lately, I can't imagine Vesperia or Infinite Undiscovery to be considered particularly successful in Japan. Vesperia's lackluster showing in its debut month in NA must also be worrisome. With that in mind, and the apparent lack of interest in belated 360 ports by PS3 owners, I think Namco and SE should get their 360 exclusives ported within a more reasonable time period than what we saw with Trusty Bell.

Assuming this pattern kept up, I'm glad Biohazard 5 wasn't a timed-exclusive. That would have been a painful sight.

Yes you are right but consider the fact that up until now the terms were "successful or not succesfull for the 360". Now is the first time we can even say it wasn't successful and not have to add that "for the 360" and in all honesty, it should still be there since the user base is still under 700k. I mean it needs at least 1-1.5 million before games can have a chance.

At least late PS3 ports do somehow respectable numbers compared to the 360 editions released before, the few times it's been the other way (Gundam Musou, Virtua Fighter...) it's been a no-show. So even if its low overall, its pretty normal to port them. Hell, compare with ratios between day and date releases, late PS3 ports do better than 360 releases do in a simultaneous release.

ES is just a special case, it even had a 360 bundle, Namdai shipped a ton, retailers had to eat that ton because the bad word of mouth killed the sales after the first week. Its just a bad game, coming a little late, with retailers wary of it (I don't think for a second its Namdai shipping accordingly but retailers ordering accordingly) and PS3 users also wary of it.

I think Oblivion also sold better on 360 than the late PS3 version. Doubt ES will do more than 50k. I also doubt Namdai will rethink their port strategy because of ES, its asking too much, I'm sure they are still wondering why retailers didn't want to take a bigger ES shipment.

manzo

From Sinobi's blog: (quick and rough translation)

"Those who have big retail stores near them have probably noticed that since last week's price cuts the 360 areas in the stores have started to expand. Even though the shops' 360 areas are still small, they've gotten 2-3 times bigger lately."

Source: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/theme-10000122778.html

Edit: from the threads on 2chan and 2ch, looks like 360 is sold out again.

gtj1092

Firestorm said:
Does Media-Create update the YTDs or LTDs every 6 or 12 months for all the games of the year? Or is that just Famitsu?

Well, iirc Namco wanted 500k for Vesperia worldwide. It's done about 133k in Japan. Means it needs to make up 367k in NA and EU. It definitely didn't do the at least 200k it would need to do in NA and looking at the lineup this fall, I don't think it's going to see a sales spurt anytime soon... I do think it at least did better than Abyss and Legendia in NA though. Not launching in the same month as FFXII probably helped.

I think that 500k doesn't include EU but instead Asia.

jimbo

Banned
manzo said:

"Those who have big retail stores near them have probably noticed that since last week's price cuts the 360 areas in the stores have started to expand. Even though the shops' 360 areas are still small, they've gotten 2-3 times bigger lately."

Edit: from the threads on 2chan and 2ch, looks like 360 is sold out again.

WHAT? Now THAT's hard to freaking believe after a 28k, and if the numbers stand, another 14k week.

So much for us seeing where it will settle next week.

manzo

jimbo said:
WHAT? Now THAT's hard to freaking believe after a 28k, and if the numbers stand, another 14k week.

So much for us seeing where it will settle next week.

Dude, it's 2ch. Always take with a grain of salt.

jimbo

Banned
manzo said:
Dude, it's 2ch. Always take with a grain of salt.

What did I say?

Edit: If this is true, my only guess is it's because the new ones have to be the Jasper models, and they are probably coming straight from the factory. I highly doubt MS would intentionally create artificial shortages at such low levels.

jimbo

Banned
Guess no one caught this in the other thread.

Famitsu:

Unreal Tournament 360&#12288;3800
Unreal Tournament PS3&#12288;1900

Did they both come out on the same day?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I can't believe Pokemon Platinum has sold 2/3rds of the numbers of Emerald's LTD in just two weeks. How many years of sales is that figure listing for Emerald?

Jonnyram

manzo said:

The 360 display at my local Yodobashi has improved significantly. Previously, they just had one of those 32" Samsung TVs showing movies, but now they also have a huge screen, maybe 50" showing the RPG trailers. It's good stuff.

manzo

Jonnyram said:
The 360 display at my local Yodobashi has improved significantly. Previously, they just had one of those 32" Samsung TVs showing movies, but now they also have a huge screen, maybe 50" showing the RPG trailers. It's good stuff.

Now Microsoft just needs to keep on delivering.

Something tells me that they're just going to start skidding and the momentum will stop. :(

jimbo

Banned
manzo said:
Now Microsoft just needs to keep on delivering.

Something tells me that they're just going to start skidding and the momentum will stop. :(

Well there's not much they can do wrong short of SO4 being a bad game, or them raising the price back up. Although TLR would have to be a pretty good title too, since it's really positioned to be the main 360 holiday title in Japan, since GOW2 isn't going to do much. And right now, I am a little worried of TLR. Maybe Banjo 3 will be a hit, but unlikely. Or a surprize Cry-On release in December? We haven't heard anything on this game in years. It's got to be almost done since it was announced at the launch of the 360.

But yeah, I think it's important that TLR needs to be good. I don't see what else could be of any significance for the holidays. Has Square ever put out a crap RPG though?

Jaruru

RHYTHM TENGOKU GOLD!
I'm collecting those perfect score now. this game is just so much fun :D

AC : DS = longest legs ever on the chart?
never play any pokemon game, but the platinum trailer looks fun haha

manzo

jimbo said:
Well there's not much they can do wrong short of SO4 being a bad game, or them raising the price back up. Although TLR would have to be a pretty good title too, since it's really positioned to be the main 360 holiday title in Japan, since GOW2 isn't going to do much. And right now, I am a little worried of TLR. Maybe Banjo 3 will be a hit, but unlikely. Or a surprize Cry-On release in December? We haven't heard anything on this game in years. It's got to be almost done since it was announced at the launch of the 360.

But yeah, I think it's important that TLR needs to be good. I don't see what else could be of any significance for the holidays. Has Square ever put out a crap RPG though?

We would know by now if Cry-On would be released this winter. I'm guessing winter 2009.

Since The Last Remnant is a multi platform game, those wanting to play it and don't have a 360 will wait for the PS3 version. The PS3 version will pretty much destroy the 360 version's sales when it comes out, unless the game is shit.

Microsoft will propably make a few RPG announcements at TGS, but those are in the line of "oh shit we need the momentum to keep rolling, let's come up with a few quick annoucements --> X Edge 360 ololo" - type of annoucements.

jimbo said:

A-yup. They've put out RPGs with crap quality, they've put out RPGs with crap sales, the whole gamut. That said, the otaku contingent that are on the HD systems are starved enough for jRPGs that even mediocre games can sell well enough to boost the 360 (see Infinite Undiscovery).

As for how the momentum can stop... if they don't have something lined up after SO, the momentum will end, fast. So I hope they've got more hits rolling.

Paracelsus

manzo said:
Should a new RomaSaga come out for the 360, I would masturbate so furiously that Kawazu and Ito would hear me cumming all the way from Helsinki to Tokyo.

Yeah, I read your posts in that other thread, and I know there are some RS fans.

Nevertheless, Romancing Saga damaged me a pad, since when I fell asleep (I swear, it happened. No shit, the first game that made me fell asleep ever) while playing it it fell on the ground. *Smash* etc.

Endgegner

What is the average amount of wii games in the top 3? 5 seems kinda small, especially with 4 of em being old games. Are there so few coming out for it or are they all bombing?

manzo

Paracelsus said:
Yeah, I read your posts in that other thread, and I know there are some RS fans.

Nevertheless, Romancing Saga damaged me a pad, since when I fell asleep (I swear, it happened. No shit, the first game that made me fell asleep ever) while playing it it fell on the ground. *Smash* etc.

RomaSaga is a love or hate series, I know it's not for everyone. I just fucking love the series. The Saga series also made me a Kenji Ito worshipper.

segarr

gtj1092 said:
This is GAF there will be hyperbole, outlandish statements and sadly gloating. Because we all expected a fully priced year old port of a bomb would somehow not bomb.
Because there's so much crossover between ps3 and 360 owners in japan? 360 beat the ps3 on what? 1/50 of the userbase? Ps3 version bomba, no ps3 versperia confirmed.

Firestorm said:
Neither goes that far, at least with the data we get in public. However, they both do yearly top 500, so we get at least some update for most relevant games.
SovanJedi said:
I can't believe Pokemon Platinum has sold 2/3rds of the numbers of Emerald's LTD in just two weeks. How many years of sales is that figure listing for Emerald?
The last update for Emerald was in the 2007 Top 500, about 3 1/4 years from release.
1635+-+Pok%C3%A9mon+Emerald+-+GBA

Endgegner said:
What is the average amount of wii games in the top 3? 5 seems kinda small, especially with 4 of em being old games. Are there so few coming out for it or are they all bombing?
Since it would be impossible to have more than 3 in the top 3, I'll take it you mean top 30. In which case, I should be able to produce a list showing how many for each week; at least by Famitsu.
http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1020
Looks like in the last year it has most often been 6-8.

RJT

segarr said:
Because there's so much crossover between ps3 and 360 owners in japan? 360 beat the ps3 on what? 1/50 of the userbase? Ps3 version bomba, no ps3 versperia confirmed.
Dude, I don't think you understand PS3's situation in Japan. 360 has no way near 1/50 of the userbase. Even discounting the hyperbole.

Spiegel

One+ Year late ports

Code:
X360 Lost Planet  	61,555
PS3  Lost Planet  	33,830
X360  Enchanted Arms    20,233
PS3 Enchanted Arms      38,703

Same day releases

Code:
X360 Soul Calibur IV	                34,791
PS3 Soul Calibur IV  	                109,318
X360 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008   17,530
PS3  World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008  	275,069
PS3  Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 	130,776
X360 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit  	13,233
PS3  Shin Sangoku Musou 5               356,266
X360 Shin Sangoku Musou 5               47,219

As expected, games released the same day have sold much better on the PS3 (thanks to the userbase). One year late ports ain't going to sell better than that.

I don't know how profitable these games are going to be with a release schedule that "weird"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jimbo said:
Guess no one caught this in the other thread.

Famitsu:

Unreal Tournament 360&#12288;3800
Unreal Tournament PS3&#12288;1900

Did they both come out on the same day?

I think you should carry this torch proudly. This definitely shows that the 360 is an amazing success over the PS3.

icecream

Public Health Threat
manzo said:
We would know by now if Cry-On would be released this winter. I'm guessing winter 2009.
Not so sure. Sakaguchi has a habit of announcing concrete info about his game only a few months before release. :lol

Nolan.

icecream said:
Not so sure. Sakaguchi has a habit of announcing concrete info about his game only a few months before release. :lol

Handheld ones anyway, BD and LO had a lot more concrete info by now before their release. Cry-on it's... an action rpg where a girl rides a colossus like thing called bogle. Thats about all we know, if it's even alive is my other wonder.

Nolan. said:
Handheld ones anyway, BD and LO had a lot more concrete info by now before their release. Cry-on it's... an action rpg where a girl rides a colossus like thing called bogle. Thats about all we know, if it's even alive is my other wonder.

Not necessarily. We didn't know much of anything about BD until it's pre-TGS stuff, me thinks.

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
I think you should carry this torch proudly. This definitely shows that the 360 is an amazing success over the PS3.

I think you should double check your YTD numbers so they are accurate.

Top Bottom