• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/14 - 1/20 2008

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AniHawk said:
And the DS begins its slow descent into obscurity.

Emphasis here on slow, methinks, that said, I think DS sales highlight how well Wii is doing post holiday, PSP still selling to....someone I suppose (Arrrr!) and PS3, will it stay at this level, a level which is actually almost acceptable to Sony? or will it drop to 15k again before long, who knows?

Every week I come to these threads and the PSP sells a butt load of hardware, but its rare to see titles at all. Sony has got to do something about this

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
To put the PS3's number in perspective, it was at 21K the same time last year. Looks like things may have stabilized for the time being.

Elios83

Next thursday is pretty busy for Wii and PS3 software wise (Smash Bros for Wii, DMC4 bundle, Disgaea3 and I've heard also Assassin's Creed for PS3) so Wii and PS3 sales should go up.
How's the release schedule for February?
We already know that March will be full of big releases.

Gaborn

schuelma said:
To put the PS3's number in perspective, it was at 21K the same time last year. Looks like things may have stabilized for the time being.

Either way, last year the PS3 was in SECOND place among the consoles, this year the PS3 is in SECOND place. The king is dead, long live the king. Sony can't, and shouldn't be happy they are no longer the dominant player in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Gaborn said:
Either way, last year the PS3 was in SECOND place among the consoles, this year the PS3 is in SECOND place. The king is dead, long live the king. Sony can't, and shouldn't be happy they are no longer the dominant player in Japan.

Yes, but if it keeps doing similiar numbers it can at least emerge as a viable option.

A general note on my online software data: a combination of a new schedule for me, a glut of end-of-2007 data, newly noticed monthly data for the last few years, and most recently a cold has put me a bit behind. So basically things are slightly less complete than usual right now. However, since it's generally yearly stuff that didn't make the overall top 100, and monthly stuff that happened outside of the weekly top 30s, you're probably not going to notice something off unless you yourself also compile this data.

Also, and maybe this was brought up a few days ago and I missed it or skimmed by it, in Enterbrain's news about Wii reaching 5 million in Japan (or at least IGN's coverage of it), it states
In all, the system sold 5,019,337 units from its launch on December 2, 2006 to January 20, 2008. This figure comes from Enterbrain, Famitsu's publisher and also a major game industry sales tracking firm.

It took the Wii sixty weeks to reach the five million mark. While a bit behind the DS's fifty-six week record, the Wii did beat the PlayStation 2's sixty-six weeks.
DS data matches this, more or less. At 56 weeks it was at 4.995 million and by the next was at 5.507. However, PS2 seems far off. With the old data I've got, PS2 doesn't hit 5 million until week 79. At week 66 it was just hitting 4 million.

Gaborn

schuelma said:
Yes, but if it keeps doing similiar numbers it can at least emerge as a viable option.

It was always going to be a viable option in Japan, it wasn't like the 360 was suddenly going to emerge as competitive.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Vinci said:
As long as 3rd parties keep their heads firmly in their asses, 3rd party games on the Wii will continue to suffer lukewarm receptions. Given that most of them seem unaware of the problem despite it being fairly obvious to some of us, this trend is likely to continue for quite some time.

With that in mind, I'd say that the HD & Wii games will be separate as kurosawa predicts, but I think the HD gaming side will largely be carried by the 360 and not the PS3.

Hardware Leader: Wii
Software Leader: 360

In Japan?! You are insane.

womfalcs3

Banned
DMC4, D 3, and Assassin's Creed next week. The PS3 should see a nice increase. (I don't know, AC sold decent on X360. I don't know if it's a different demographic, but I assume it's a game that may draw in some Japanese gamers.)

donny2112

ethelred said:
Did Donny give a prediction beyond "will sell much less than if it were on the PS2?"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9453537&postcount=92

SSBB - sold out first shipment => ~600K
PS3 DMC4 - 90K

Stumpokapow said:
Assuming we're skeptical of European performance (as I personally am),

It's over 300K in the U.K.

JoshuaJSlone said:
With the old data I've got, PS2 doesn't hit 5 million until week 79. At week 66 it was just hitting 4 million.

Those 900K online sales near the launch that you used to mention?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Gaborn said:
Either way, last year the PS3 was in SECOND place among the consoles, this year the PS3 is in SECOND place. The usurper is dead, long live the king. Sony can't, and shouldn't be happy they are no longer the dominant player in Japan.

Fixed for the fanboy truth

donny2112 said:
Those 900K online sales near the launch that you used to mention?
Yeah, I'm split between wondering whether this is further validation that Famitsu undertracked PS2 early on and later snuck in a million in its history that's missing from the weekly data we have, or whether it's just a simple mistake. It would be an extra coincidence if the week our data shows them hitting 4 million is exactly the week their revised data has it hitting 5 million.

EDIT: An unrelated thing, but minor enough I won't give it a full reply.

I notice that in the new Famitsu top 30, there are places where for the previous two weeks' ranks there are games with "-" instead of a number. Unfortunately this looks to be a return to old ways, where they won't make any mention of ranks beyond 30. More recently they'd list if a game had just been ranked lower, which allowed us to occasionally see some interesting things like games with shortage issues recovering from 80th place, or games popping in and out of 30th place +/- 5.

31./29. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
32./39. [PSP] Haruhi Suzumiya's Promise (Bandai-Namco)
33./42. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
34./34. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
35./32. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
36./37. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)
37./27. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Sony)
38./33. [PSP] Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 (Sony)
39./28. [NDS] Nep League DS (Jaleco)
40./00. [NDS] MySims (EA)
41./30. [WII] Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
42./00. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters World Championship 2008 (Konami)
43./40. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)
44./36. [WII] Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo)
45./47. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
46./44. [PSP] Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaiki da (Sony)
47./00. [NDS] English Training (Nintendo)
48./00. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)
49./00. [PS2] Juiced 2 (THQ Japan)
50./41. [NDS] Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (Pokémon)

NDS - 26
WII - 9
PS2 - 5
PSP - 5
PS3 - 4
360 - 1

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    88,575 |    97,369 |   452,512 | 21,625,563
2. WII   -    81,638 |    84,530 |   373,965 |  4,990,125
3. PSP   -    79,923 |    96,159 |   394,316 |  7,995,910
4. PS3   -    38,117 |    38,907 |   141,207 |  1,782,883
5. PS2   -    13,539 |    14,499 |    60,048 | 20,987,085
6. 360   -     4,552 |     4,690 |    19,005 |    526,346

s_20080114.png

Rolf NB

I think that's enough data to conclude that the price drops and the new model seems to have achieved a lasting, positive effect on PS3 sales. This should finally end the comparisons between PS3 and Gamecube trajectories (GC did 10k per week in its second January on the market).

edit: I might as well link to the data I'm comparing against: http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/vsps2gcn.php5

edit2: I also almost called it hurr hurr: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9095402&postcount=560

D.Lo

PS3 seems to be selling pretty well compared to its software sales. Based on this weeks software, there were surely at least 20k new buyers who bought no games, and with PS2 compatibility gone that's not an answer anymore.

Perhaps its media capabilities will ultimately save it from GameCube-like fate?

Kinda funny, if true, the PSP and PS3s media pretensions are )at least in part) what caused their failure in the market as gaming systems, but seem like will ultimately save them from total irrelevance. Not exactly good, but something!

donny2112

3 strong hardware performers + 1 low/middle hardware performer

Isn't this still one of the strongest hardware situations in Japan ever, though?

Busaiku

D.Lo said:
PS3 seems to be selling pretty well compared to its software sales. Based on this weeks software, there were surely at least 20k new buyers who bought no games, and with PS2 compatibility gone that's not an answer anymore.
There's a wealth of software not shown.
I mean, sure the numbers are pretty paltry in comparison, but it really does add up.
But a number of PS3 buyers probably did just buy it for a BD Player.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gamecube [Famitsu]

2003-01-06:
2003-01-13:
2003-01-20:
2003-01-27:

donny2112

Dalthien said:
No, those numbers are all correct. Rock_Man and I double-checked them all, and all the ones that we have checked out as legit.

Yes, I read down a little farther in the thread and got reminded of Rock_Man's reply at the time. Notice how you quoted something that no longer exists ... ;)

Edit:
I was also pleasantly reminded of the Captain Calhoun reference in the same thread. I just finished reading his "Mirror Universe" story by Peter David, and it was great. Typical Peter David writing. :lol

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
Yes, I read down a little farther in the thread and got reminded of Rock_Man's reply at the time. Notice how you quoted something that no longer exists ... ;)
Ha ha... You're fast!

ethelred

bcn-ron said:
I think that's enough data to conclude that the price drops and the new model seems to have achieved a lasting, positive effect on PS3 sales. This should finally end the comparisons between PS3 and Gamecube trajectories (GC did 10k per week in its second January on the market).

Absolutely.

It's time for the Saturn comparisons to kick in.

Odysseus

Banned
_leech_ said:
Think someone can whip up weekly year-on-year charts? For example, the Wii's 2008 compared to the Wii's 2007 so far?

three week comparison

Code:
sys	2007	2008
nds	561,812	452,512
wii	375,434	373,965
ps3	116,580	141,207
psp	204,022	394,316
ps2	94,869	60,048
360	34,311	19,005

in other words...

down
flat
moderately up
way, way up
significantly down
significantly down... sort of.

ethelred

bcn-ron said:
Does anything appear in this week's chart that you don't hate?

Does it really bother you that much which historical console failure this current failure of a console is compared to?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think those are pretty great numbers for PS3. Considering it's really the only next gen system in Japan. I'm sure J-devs are happy to see it approach 40k a week.

Top Bottom