• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/14 - 1/20 2008

D.Lo

omg rite said:
SATURN_white.jpg

"You shut your filthy whore mouth."
Fixed for Japan-ness.

Darji

Banned
Lightning said:
PS3 hardware holding steady, I like that. Keep it up Japan, I know you can do it.
yep the only thing the PS3 needs now are great and many games for the japanese market.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First-day sales:

PS2 Luck Stars - 45k (60% sell-thru, 33k DX Pack, 12k normal version)

PSP WE08 - 35k (near sold-out)
PSP Yggdra Union - 11k (near sold-out, about the same first-day sales level as the original GBA game)

DS Exit - 1.5k

Lightning

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I didn't predict Sony to kill 20/60GB SKUs. In other words, I don't think this 30-40k is the new stable level for PS3.
It depends, if Sony keeps that steady flow of games coming through then the PS3 should remain at a highish level. One of the problems last year was not only the price but the long waits between decent games. If Sony eliminate that, then they will be well on their way.

I don't think the general public care anywhere near as much as the internet hardcore do about BC. Because that's the only thing missing from the 40GB, those stupid slots are never used anyway. I have a 60GB and I have never used those slots and only ever used 2USB ports. BC is the only thing holding it back and I don't think it's anywhere near the big deal everyone wants to make it out to be. It negatively effects a few to be sure, but not a whole lot.

Kenka

AnimeTheme said:

First-day sales:

PSP Yggdra Union - 11k (near sold-out, about the same first-day sales level as the original GBA game)

DS Exit - 1.5k

Came very early. Very disappointing for Exit

AnimeTheme said:
Is it entirely possible that PSP owners in Japan are actually buying games for the system now? It'd be nice to have more than 5 PSP games appear in the top 50 regularly.

Mr. Pointy said:
Is it entirely possible that PSP owners in Japan are actually buying games for the system now? It'd be nice to have more than 5 PSP games appear in the top 50 regularly.

Some facts:

- hardware growth rate of PSP (since PSP Slim launch) >> software growth rate (in terms of the number of titles released): Obviously most Japanese devs didn't expect PSP Slim to boost hardware sales that much.

- 55.8% of PSP users haven't played any game in the past 6 months (http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20080121/145788/): You can interpret this as either many people bought PSP for non-game features, OR there are simply not enough interesting games for them to choose. I think this has most to do with the second case, and there are definitely some potentials for the game devs out there to explore.

Neo C.

sphinx said:
at one point I would have agreed, but I am not sure anymore.

I really don't see any japanese publisher or developer sympathetic to "next-gen". Some try low profile games on Wii, some risk with bigger projects on the PS3 but at the end the overall 3rd party enviroment in Japan for home consoles is gray and grim. If I was a Hardcore Japanese gamer, I'd own a DS and PSP and I am not sure I would have time left for more gaming out of the handhelds. I sometimes think that the advent of handhelds has gone so far, that it has hurt the home consoles irreversibly.
The home consoles might be risky for different publishers, but it's still better to bet on different horses than just the DS. Especially when a publisher's got franchises which are born in 3D and can't translated smoothly to 2D or simple 3D.

justjohn

i wonder how many of these ps3 sales come from people rushing to buy the last remaining 20gb and 60gb cos they've been forced to. i think like kurosaki said we still dont know the average weekly sales yet.

DiddyBop

modifying a psp slim is pretty complicated for the non hardcore,also the requirement of having a 2nd psp that already modified is even more limiting. psp users are just doin other things with the psp like music and movies. but it now seems that they are buying more games judging by the first day sales of that ydggra union game or however its spelt. sony must be pleased.

Vinci

Danish
Vinci said:
As long as 3rd parties keep their heads firmly in their asses, 3rd party games on the Wii will continue to suffer lukewarm receptions. Given that most of them seem unaware of the problem despite it being fairly obvious to some of us, this trend is likely to continue for quite some time.

With that in mind, I'd say that the HD & Wii games will be separate as kurosawa predicts, but I think the HD gaming side will largely be carried by the 360 and not the PS3.

Hardware Leader: Wii
Software Leader: 360

reilo said:
In Japan?! You are insane.

I was speaking worldwide in that discussion. Apologies. Should've realized it would be misunderstood given this is a MC thread.

xaosslug

AnimeTheme said:

First-day sales:

DS Exit - 1.5k

come on software, you've got some major ground to make!

Vinnk

apujanata said:
I predict that most J-Gaffers will disappear at least two days starting from SSBB release.

Haunted One said:
Oh hell no. They'll never miss the chance to brag about it. :lol

You can expect me disappear from GAF during my free time and brag about it at work. :lol

ethelred

I'm really pleased with Yggdra Union's sales, pretty much selling out and matching what the GBA game did. What an awesome result for Sting. I hope it's bringing in some new fans for them so their next PSP game does even better. Yggdra Union 2, please.

ethelred said:
I'm really pleased with Yggdra Union's sales, pretty much selling out and matching what the GBA game did. What an awesome result for Sting. I hope it's bringing in some new fans for them so their next PSP game does even better. Yggdra Union 2, please.

Yeah, this is very good. Especially since a whole lot more went into remaking YU for PSP. Now Atlus just need to announce they're picking it up...

From sinobi's blog I found this bit of info that surprised me quite a lot.

Disgaea sold 135k, but the budget re-release sold 100k. Disgaea 2 sold 150k and the budget re-release only 15k.

First one budget release numbers must be the first time I see them, the other are well known though. sinobi says that the target for Disgaea 3 is 100k by the way...

edit: looks like MHP2G first shipment will be substantially lower than first said?

DiddyBop said:
but it now seems that they are buying more games judging by the first day sales of that ydggra union game or however its spelt. sony must be pleased.

looking at WE2008 first day sales and, especially, considering it's near to be sold-out, i think even developers are a little disappointed about PSP sw sales...

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Disgaea sold 135k, but the budget re-release sold 100k.

This seems like another case of Famitsu going back and adjusting numbers. Disgaea 1 had sold 93K when it fell off the Top 30 in February 2003. It did not appear on the 2003 Top 100 which went down to 130920. It's possible it was #101 and was still selling some 10 months after it dropped off of the Top 30, though.

Disgaea (BEST) sold 17K by the time it dropped out of the Top 30 (~4K in its last week) after the third week of November 2004. We have the Top 500 for 2005, and it didn't show up. If it was #31 for all the remaining weeks of the year and #501 in 2005, it could've only gotten up to 89K. I find it quite unlikely that it got up to 100K without some backfitting going on.

donny2112 said:
This seems like another case of Famitsu going back and adjusting numbers. Disgaea 1 had sold 93K when it fell off the Top 30 in February 2003. It did not appear on the 2003 Top 100 which went down to 130920. It's possible it was #101 and was still selling some 10 months after it dropped off of the Top 30, though.

Disgaea (BEST) sold 17K by the time it dropped out of the Top 30 (~4K in its last week) after the third week of November 2004. We have the Top 500 for 2005, and it didn't show up. If it was #31 for all the remaining weeks of the year and #501 in 2005, it could've only gotten up to 89K. I find it quite unlikely that it got up to 100K without some backfitting going on.
Yeah, the budget re-release number is so surprising that I think sinobi might be using some Nipponichi data shown a while ago. At least I remember something like that, although I can't seem to find it now.

YSO has Disgaea at 124,316, if like you say it isn't on the Top100, it must come from a monthly top or a special chart about N1 or something like that. Roughly matches 135k.

Disgaea 2 data matches though (YSO 150,428).

Now D2 The Best is impossible to have data from Famitsu. It didn't make it to Top30 in its first week and we didn't get Top500 for 2007 yet. Sinobi can't be using Famitsu here.

There must be some N1 figures I said above, and sinobi is merging them or something.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Now D2 The Best is impossible to have data from Famitsu. It didn't make it to Top30 in its first week and we didn't get Top500 for 2007 yet. Sinobi can't be using Famitsu here.

It's possible it was on the July monthly Top 50. That month was replaced with the PC Top 20 on ELSPA's site, so we can't know for sure. It wasn't in the July PS2 Top 10, though.

Lightning

Banned
After playing the demo I will be very happy if DMC4 does over 100k launch week and well below DMC3 lifetime Japan numbers. That demo failed and I don't think will attract the Japanese to buy the game.

Lobster

Banned
Lightning said:
After playing the demo I will be very happy if DMC4 does over 100k launch week and well below DMC3 lifetime Japan numbers. That demo failed and I don't think will attract the Japanese to buy the game.

I think it will 360+Ps3 combined. It might do higher.

360 version might have Ace Combat levels of sales.

Lightning

Banned
Lobster said:
I think it will 360+Ps3 combined. It might do higher.

360 version might have Ace Combat levels of sales.
I don't think DMC4 has a hope in touching AC6 sales on the 360 but we'll see I guess. If PES08 and Musou 5 didn't get AC6 sales, I can't imagine DMC4 doing it.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
You can expect me disappear from GAF during my free time and brag about it at work. :lol

Before you disappear, at least let us know that you have bought it, and whether there are lines / lots of interest in your town. And don't forget to post at least once a day in M-create thread, saying things like "Wow" "Unbelievable" "OMG". :)

Famitsu numbers
Wii 79000
DSL 74000
PSP 61000
PS3 29000
PS2 11000
360 4200

1.[WII] Wii Fit 96000(1209000)
2.[PSP] Winning Eleven UE2008 70000
3.[PS2] Lucky Star 61000
4.[NDS] Mario & Sonic DS 54000(145000)
5.[WII] Wii Sports 28000(2692000)
6.[NDS] Mario Party DS 26000(1557000)
7.[PSP] Yggdra Union 22000
8.[NDS] Doraemon Baseball 22000(141000)
9.[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 15000(1584000)
10.[WII] Wii Play 14000(2153000)

Other new games
14.Tennis no Oujisama: Driving Smash! Side King DS 12000
...Exit DS 5500
...Drift Nights: Juiced 2 PS3 5000
...The Sims 2 Castaway DS 3000
...TOCA 750

Other games
11.Mario & Sonic Wii 13000(488000)
12.Mario Kart DS 13000(2809000)
13.Layton 2 ???(727000)
15.Mario Party 8 9400(1163000)
16.Super Mario Galaxy 9100(853000)
17.Ryu ga Gotoku 2 (The Best!) 8500(111000)
18.Layton 1 8500(821000)
19.Dragon Quest IV 8000(1158000)
20.Minna no Golf Portable 2 8000(210000)
21.Power Pocket Pro Kun 10 DS 7900(223000)
22.Animal Crossing DS 7700(4572000)
24.New Super Mario Bros 7500(5069000)
25.Household Diary 7100(410000)
26.Winning Eleven 2008 PS2 7100(612000)
27.Call Of Duty 4 PS3 7100(65000)
28.Final Fantasy IV 6300(565000)
29.Flash Focus 6100(772000)
30.More Brain Training 5900(4829000)

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Looks like it's all over for DS.

I personally don't think the DS has much time to stay above the Wii consistently each week anymore. The handheld's sold over 20 Million, while the Wii has yet to hit its peek. I think at best we'll see the two switch off, or the Wii stay ahead.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I personally don't think the DS has much time to stay above the Wii consistently each week anymore. The handheld's sold over 20 Million, while the Wii has yet to hit its peek. I think at best we'll see the two switch off, or the Wii stay ahead.
Just wait until the new DS revision!

botticus

Frillen said:
What systems are lucky star, Yggdra Union and Doraemon Baseball for?
PS2, PSP, and DS, I believe. (Edited as I see they're noted above)

PSP will finally have some representative software sales this week.

Top Bottom