• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/1 - 10/7 2007

Innotech

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, the same way Crisis Core will get past 1m

(read: No way in hell)

I think its very possible. It would take a long time though.
I think gamesl ike ASH and IAWW suffer from lack of recognition and being an SRPG in a diehard RPG country.

Innotech said:
I think its very possible. It would take a long time though.
I think gamesl ike ASH and IAWW suffer from lack of recognition and being an SRPG in a diehard RPG country.
It's not possible. Retailers are not going to reorder ASH or IAWW. What's out there should sell, but that's about it.

FF:CC sadly won't top 1m unless it does some sort of re-release, either.

Xavien

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, the same way Crisis Core will get past 1m

(read: No way in hell)

it might have legs, right now there is no precident for Mystwalker developed games on a popular system in Japan.

The only Mysterwalker game released before this is blue dragon... on the XB360.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I was hoping for something different in this case, with the game selling well forever and becoming the highest selling PSP game in Japan (because we all know the USA release will likely get that record).
How do you figure? FF is usually bigger in Japan than the US*, and Liberty City Stories presents a similarly-high figure to beat in the US as MHP2 does in Japan.

*Actually, is there any exception to this?

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
How do you figure? FF is usually bigger in Japan than the US*, and Liberty City Stories presents a similarly-high figure to beat in the US as MHP2 does in Japan.

*Actually, is there any exception to this?

Yes.

Based on Wii sports / play sales, looks like the Wii may have hardware sales in the low 20ks. It's not the seller it was a few months ago.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
speculawyer said:
Wait . . . Jikkou Baseball has a MLB license? That's weird . . . why not Japanese league? Or does it have both?
Separate games...this is the 2nd MLB game they've done, as opposed to the 14 J-league games they've released.

TJ Spyke

Xavien said:
it might have legs, right now there is no precident for Mystwalker developed games on a popular system in Japan.

The only Mysterwalker game released before this is blue dragon... on the XB360.

It's Mistwalker.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
perfectchaos007 said:
Console sales should be interesting this week. I'll guess that DS sales will be just barely higher than PSP sales this week.
It's the opposite, the new color didn't boost sales. At least by Famitsu.

Brak

perfectchaos007 said:
So 80k for DS then?

And 90k for PSP?
I'd be pretty surprised if PSP hardware was that high considering the software sales, but then again... it is the PSP.

Vinnk

Welcome back Cheese!

Anything people want me to count this week? Not sure if it's even worth it.

Quick summary:

PSP slim: Neither sold out nor supply constrained
Wii: lots
DS: Lots and lots
PS3: Less than Wii but more than enough
Xbox 360: Small number available but more than meets demand

jj984jj

Brak said:
I'd be pretty surprised if PSP hardware was that high considering the software sales, but then again... it is the PSP.
I'm not seeing the confliction considering where the 3 PSP titles are in the chart, and PSP slim has not gotten to a stable level since launch.

Vinnk said:
Welcome back Cheese!

Quick summary:

So in other words, everything is available? :lol

Brak

jj984jj said:
I'm not seeing the confliction considering where the 3 PSP titles are in the chart, and PSP slim has not gotten to a stable level since launch.
err... whoops I totally missed one of the PSP's games... I thought Crisis Core was the top game for the PSP.

OokieSpookie said:
So wait, does that logic apply in PS3 vs 360 game sales in the US or is it just one of those "when it is beneficial" things?

It can really be used to rationalize any game that's underperformed on any console thus far this generation (by simply comparing to the PS2 tie ratio), so I'd classify "look at the userbase size" as the latter.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Vinnk said:
Welcome back Cheese!

Quick summary:

Phantom Hourglass?

Vinnk

marvelharvey said:

I saw my first used copy yesterday. I don't expect it to return to the charts.

grandjedi6 said:
Phantom Hourglass?

Been available both new and used since before TGS. People still seem to be buying it though, Hiro re-ordered.

All hail the Cheese! *bow*

Pretty much in line with the Famitsu trends. Strikers holding in there but I'm still disappointed by it's performance. CC on the way down and won't hit a million, it should have beaten MH Freedom's numbers though (Moor-Angol has it at 668.964 - I know it's Famitsu but still) and is now the No. 2 best selling title on PSP in Japan. Ash is disappointing.

kassatsu said:
Blue Dragon DS canceled.
I think that's pretty much Mistwalker's chance to score a hit.

Kintaro said:
I believe the Wii version, at least in the US, will have online play while PS2 doesn't. I could be wrong though. That's a HUGE difference though.
Yep, Wii has online, not huge in Japan though. PS2 has BC with the older titles for unlockable stuff, guess that's quite big for the fanbase.

speculawyer said:
Halo 3 totally gone from the list after being #1 the previous week? Wow. Japanese are really the flash fad people.
:lol Whoever thought that Halo 3 would have legs need to get a reality check. By now we all know that there's a small niche market for western games on 360 and that these fans are hardcore. Meaning that they rush to the store day 1 to get their fix, making for absolutely frontloaded sales. Has nothing to do with a flash fad. Halo 3 didn't even achieve fad status.

reilo said:
Where was Oblivion last week?
Cheese even links to last week's thread.

jj984jj

Lightning said:
Has the 60Gb and the 20GB PS3 dropped in price in Japan yet?
November 12th the 40GB bundle hits. October 11th they drop the price of the current bundles.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Vinnk said:
I saw my first used copy yesterday. I don't expect it to return to the charts.

Been available both new and used since before TGS. People still seem to be buying it though, Hiro re-ordered.

hmm. I guess you get a vacation? :lol

justchris

Ah, nice to see Cheese back with his well formatted and updated thread. Yay for parsers.

Unfortunately, nothing much exciting this week. The 360 needs another #1 game.

ziran

AdmiralViscen said:
Was ASH supposed to do better than that?
Realistically, no.

Hardcore gaming is continuing to take a beating in Japan. You'd have to be extremely optimistic to think another game in a saturated genre with no discernable differences to people other than the forum posting hardcore would sell big numbers.

It's a shame because it looks reasonable, but it was always going to be niche. Still, I don't think a 50K first week is bad, it just looks worse than it is because retailers and Nintendo overestimated the title.

Also, will these threads get bigger as Sony dudes get bigger balls, or smaller as Nintendo fans find less to gloat over?
I think PS3 should outsell Wii in a couple of weeks when the price drops hit. Wii is soft at the moment and is in need of good, innovative games from Nintendo. There's nothing of a system selling nature until SMG at the beginning of November.

It's going to be fun whatever happens.

...Thats quite a difference between Fami and MC (DBZ PS2-wise). Anyway I always use Famitsu on the long run since they give Top30. Btw, not to mention MGS PO+. Well, I will...

Famitsu
8.MPO+ 23000(153000)
...MPO+DX (didn't get numbers this week)(24000 as of last week)

MC
12. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+ (Konami) (<20k this week) (119,000 as of last week)

So Fami has it at 177k without counting DX sales this week while MC has it at 135-139k.

Famitsu-wise, MGS PO has sold around 580k (between original release, 20th anniversary release, plus release, plus deluxe release).

PD: Nothing new on the chart, MLB2 is quite a bomba, did you guys know that MLB1 released last year on GC did TWICE what MLB2 did in Wii? Along more than 50% decline in the PS2 version...it better sell in US if you want Konami to do another one.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Phife Dawg said:
Cheese even links to last week's thread.

It didn't have Oblivion listed anywhere. My assumption was that someone didn't translate 30-50.

reilo said:
It didn't have Oblivion listed anywhere. My assumption was that someone didn't translate 30-50.
Huh? *Scratches head* It debuted in the Top 10. Although it sold less in it's opening week than for 360.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Phife Dawg said:
Huh? *Scratches head* It debuted in the Top 10. Although it sold less in it's opening week than for 360.

Huh. What the shit. Firefox find failed me :(

I need some alcohol.

Anyone know how ASH was marketed in Japan? Pushed hard at all? We've seen quite a lot of scans throughout the last half year...

Was there really just that little interest, regardless of its exposure?

xaosslug

Vinnk said:
Welcome back Cheese!

Anything peop&#65356;e want me to count this week? Not sure if it's even worth it.

Quick summary:

oh, snap. Realities check'd, fears realized, hopes crushed.

reilo said:
Huh. What the shit. Firefox find failed me :(

I need some alcohol.
Well it's a good enough excuse for drinking so I would take that opportunity :D . Campai!

xaosslug said:
oh, snap. Realities check'd, fears realized, hopes crushed.
Did anyone honestly expect any hardware to be supply constraint?

Frillen

sleeping_dragon said:
the king is back!!!

Yeah, the DS will either this or next week again be on top.

Anyway, nice to see Strikers haning in there. It only dropped two places compared to last week. Should be interesting to see if the DS is able to beat the PSP. Yeah, I know Famitsu had the PSP at 8k higher than the DS, but Famitsu has also tracked the PSP higher than m-create for last couple of weeks.

Top Bottom