• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/13 - 10/19

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
2008 being the year of the PS3 meant that this would be the year that PS3 came into its own. It would set up its place as the dominant platform (at least over 360 and possibly Wii), games would start being developed first on the PS3 ("Burnout Paradise is just the beginning!"), the industry would return to Sony, and all would be set right with the gaming world. This would be aided by "Microsoft spent itself in 2007 and has nothing left for 2008" and "2008 is the year so many anticipated PS3 games will come out and set the world ablaze." Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ("It's Gran Turismo! Everyone buys that!"), Metal Gear Solid 4 ("It's Metal Gear Solid! My eyes!"), and possibly Final Fantasy XIII ("It's Final Fantasy! Exclusive!"). There was also Home ("Eat it Xbox Live!") and Little Big Planet ("I'd buy a PS3 just for this one game!").

Everything was supposed to be going right for the PS3, and 2007 would be just a bad memory.
I see, thanks for the answer :) Atleast the PS3 is doing better than it did in 2007 and the PS3 seems to be going the right way (except for in Japan :p) compared to how it was in 2007, atleast when you look at the total picture about the PS3. Was it ment to be worldwide looking at the total picture or in every seperate territory itself by the way?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
test_account said:
I see, thanks for the answer :) Atleast the PS3 is doing better than it did in 2007 and the PS3 seems to be going the right way (except for in Japan :p) compared to how it was in 2007, atleast when you look at the total picture about the PS3. Was it ment to be worldwide looking at the total picture or in every seperate territory itself by the way?

On which planet is the PS3 doing better in 2008 than it did in 2007?

Gaborn

PantherLotus said:

Probably the same planet as the people that (seriously) claimed 2008 would be the year of the PS3.

enishi

From Sinobi:

10/23 first day:

[PS2] デビルサマナー 葛葉ライドウ対アバドン王 (Devil Summoner) - 50k (normal + special version)
[NDS] Girls' Mode - 27k
[NDS] 悪魔城ドラキュラ 奪われた刻印 (Castlevania) - 14k

[PSP] Bleach
[Wii] Tenchu 4
Both around 10k

Shanks

enishi said:
From Sinobi:

10/23 first day:

[NDS] Girls' Mode - 27k

[PSP] Bleach
[Wii] Tenchu 4
Both around 10k

Pretty good at Devil Summoner. lulz at Tenchu.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
enishi said:
From Sinobi:

10/23 first day:

[NDS] Girls' Mode - 27k

[PSP] Bleach
[Wii] Tenchu 4
Both around 10k
Great first day starts for Raidou and Castlevania, the last Devil Summoner did 56k in the first week according to Famitsu. Both CV DS games did 15k in their first week.

Tenchu bomba. :\ It might do similarly to the PSP game in the first week if it does well over the weekend but that's about it. :lol

botticus

How did previous Tenchu titles do? Must be one of those series' with an untranslated name in Garaph.

Edit: Nevermind, messed up the wildcards. 125k, 80k, and 28k first weeks for the two PS2 games and the PSP title respectively.

donny2112

test_account said:
Was it ment to be worldwide looking at the total picture or in every seperate territory itself by the way?

It was more of a qualitative concept as opposed to a quantitative one. For the PS3, it was just supposed to be "all good." *cue MC Hammer*

enishi said:
[Wii] Tenchu 4
Both around 10k

They need to advertise the cat waggling more.

I didn't have particular expectations for this game, but I'm surprised at a 10K opening when Tenchu III did so well. Does sinobi indicate the % sell-through?

So did the PS2 gamer just move to handhelds or stay on the PS2 for this generation?

Rock_Man

donny2112 said:
Media-Create blurb is very interesting this week. PSP software sales declined with the release of the PSP-3000.
You have to consider the release of Macross Ace Frontier the previous week. That game alone decreased 78k in its second week. Removing Macross:
10/6 - 10/12: 137-104=33k
10/13 - 10/19: 120-26=26=94k

However, if removing this week´s Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida or 2:
10/6 - 10/12: 33k
10/13 - 10/19: 35k

That leads us to the same conclusion. Software sales didn't get a notable bump this week.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm. Are those "Top X" values, or supposed to be total? I haven't hashed it all out, but I can see some areas where it and Famitsu's software pie differ on which system was selling more software.
Total. I think Dengeki is tracking more games. While Famitsu stop track games when they are selling below a certain level, Dengeki seem to continue count the games even if the numbers are very small. I have noticed that the Dengeki total software sold are always higher than Famitsu´s. That would explain why PS2 has a higher share every but one week (listed above) by Dengeki numbers due to the large library of PS2 games that is still selling a few copies every week.

yurinka

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, test_account did except Japan.
Yes, worldwide except Japan:
mc-8-consoles-YOY-YTD-99.png

But very soon the 80GB model will be released, so I think 2008 will have better PS3 numbers than 2007.

[Nintex]

Firestorm said:
That's silly. We all know 2009 is the year of the PS3.
Didn't you get the memo?

2007 - Year of Xbox 360(BioShock, Halo 3, PGR4, Forza 2 etc.)
2008 - Year of PS3(Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Wipeout HD etc.)
2009 - Year of Wii (Sin & Punishment, No More Heroes 2, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Pikmin 3, Wii Sports Resort etc.)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
yurinka said:
But very soon the 80GB model will be released, so I think 2008 will have better PS3 numbers than 2007.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, given that last year PS3 actually had a price drop, where as this year it's just a new model at the same price.

I expect PS3 08 to lose more ground to 07 once the 07 price drop weeks come up. Remember last year when the PS3 introduced the lower priced model and PS3 beat Wii for a few weeks? I don't see that happening this year..

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
[Nintex] said:
Didn't you get the memo?

2009 - Year of Wii (Sin & Punishment, No More Heroes 2, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Pikmin 3, Wii Sports Resort etc.)

Just so we're on the same page, you're saying that 2009 will NOT be the year of the wii, correct?

jeremy1456

Guys, let's be perfectly honest here.

Outside of it's first year, every single year has been the year of the Nintendo DS since it was released.

jeremy1456

Regulus Tera said:
Pikmin 3 hasn't even been formally shown. What makes you guys think it will come out next year?

They've already got an engine for it (from the first two games).

Oh, and the games generally aren't very long.

It isn't funny that PSP gets a Bleach game NOT being Heat the Soul and it sells so bad.

Heat The Soul 6, 7 and 8 confirmed and the franchise was born on the PSP :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jeremy1456 said:
They've already got an engine for it (from the first two games).

Oh, and the games generally aren't very long.

Pikmin 2 was pretty long. Also who said they were using the Pikmin GC engine?

[Nintex]

PantherLotus said:
Just so we're on the same page, you're saying that 2009 will NOT be the year of the wii, correct?
Correct because 90% of the awesome won't hit the US/lol-Europe in 2009 anyway and Nintendo hasn't shown Pikmin 3 yet.

Shanks

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It isn't funny that PSP gets a Bleach game NOT being Heat the Soul and it sells so bad.

Heat The Soul 6, 7 and 8 confirmed and the franchise was born on the PSP :/

Is it that side scrolling one with the wonky looking graphics?

Threi

notag
Regulus Tera said:
Because Super Mario Galaxy totally used the Sunshine engine.

If this is the case then I just completely screwed up myself.
IIRC All of the Zeldas and Super Marios run on a modified Mario 64 engine. Its not really a point worth noting though.

jeremy1456

Regulus Tera said:
Because Super Mario Galaxy totally used the Sunshine engine.

If this is the case then I just completely screwed up myself.

To be fair, there was a large graphical leap between the N64 and Gamecube.

That's not the case with the Wii.

Rock_Man

Xb360 is now selling more hardware than PS3, but not software (this situation is significantly different from earlier this year and last year):

famitsu-ps3x360-081012.png

Portables still have better sales in both hardware and software:

famitsu-all-081012.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
jeremy1456 said:
To be fair, there was a large graphical leap between the N64 and Gamecube.

That's not the case with the Wii.

What does the N64 have to do with this?

Threi said:
IIRC All of the Zeldas and Super Marios run on a modified Mario 64 engine. Its not really a point worth noting though.

Oh, I see. Sources would be nice though.

hirokazu

PantherLotus said:
Every year is the year of the Wii. But it doesn't count because it's not a real console.

test_account

XP-39C²
PantherLotus said:
Gaborn said:
Probably the same planet as the people that (seriously) claimed 2008 would be the year of the PS3.
On planet earth hehe :p :) As BishopLamont and JoshuaJSlone already pointed out, i ment worldwide and i did write "except for in Japan :p". I'm not sure how much better the PS3 has done (when it comes to sales atleast) in 2008 compared to in 2007, but i think the sales is something around the double in the US. Unfortunately i'm not not sure about Europe (and in other territories as well) but i would guess that the sales are better in Europe as well, but please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm sure someone has more data avalible on Europe than what i have and remember :)

The reason why i mentioned the worldwide in a Media Create thread (which is mainly about japanese sales) is because i was wondering if "the year of the PS3" was aimed for the worldwide as in a total picture or if it was aimed for each territory (like USA, Europe, Japan etc.) of its own.

donny2112 said:
It was more of a qualitative concept as opposed to a quantitative one. For the PS3, it was just supposed to be "all good." *cue MC Hammer*
Ah ok, i understand, thanks for the answer! :)

duckroll

Looks like I was wrong about World Destruction doing particularly decently..... it looks like a lot more was expected given the shipment because....

14wfts3.jpg

:( :( :(

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I think WD was premium priced at 5980Y or so, so it'd be 50% off.

Maybe jonnyram has some data on sell through for it?
It's been selling in both Ito Yokado and SATY in my town for 4680 since launch. Big drop either way.

[Nintex] said:
Didn't you get the memo?

I thought it was

2007 - Year of PSP
2008 - Year of PSP
2009 - Year of PSP

?

YSO guys are coming up with predictions for next week and ... man its going to hurt poor LittleBigPlanet followers. They aren't just predicting top 3 titles this time, its extra with PS3 and DS hardware plus GTA4, LBP, GT5P3, VP DS, Pedometer and Avalon Code.

Just 3 predicted but so far:
PS3 Hardware Sales - 60k, 54k, 60k
PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV - 100k, 107k, 135k
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III - 20k, 26k, 21k
PS3 LittleBigPlanet - 25k, 30k, 35k
DS Hardware Sales - 300k, 303k, 150k
DS Valkyrie Profile - 75k, 110k, 48k
DS Pedometer - 25k, 42k, 35k
DS Avalon Code - 30k, 27k, 30k

Would be great if we could do some predictions but with some system like for NPD :/

Top Bottom