• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/13 - 10/19

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
viciouskillersquirrel said:
That's a fair point. You could even compensate for the effect of games with legs with a constant term of some kind.

I'd have to dig out the old textbooks to tell you how that could be done though.

My immediate problem is how to establish a mean accuracy so I can have a nice +/- % expectancy. I forgot the rules on when you throw out outliers.

31 Flavas

Banned
PROOP said:
Oh god PS3. Quick, make new colors, slash the price, bundle with PSP, moneyhat exclusive, do something!
Well... Sony did say that next-gen doesn't start until they say so... How about a big press con, where they formally declare next-gen started. Ya know, just in case there was some miscommunication! :lol

duckroll

The monthly Famitsu 360 that's due out this week indicates that IU is at 104k now, and ToV is at 149k. Any predictions on how Last Remnant will do in Japan?

jesusraz

I was thinking more around the 75,000 mark for its first week. By the way, I'm certainly looking forward to the leaked numbers later, in the hope that Tenchu picked up more and Castlevania: OoE managed to crack the 25,000 unit mark after its strong start. And will Girls Mode claim the No.1 spot? Ooh, the excitement...

nli10

PantherLotus said:
My immediate problem is how to establish a mean accuracy so I can have a nice +/- % expectancy. I forgot the rules on when you throw out outliers.

On continuous data with unusual spikes the norm rather than the rare exception (big launches) the Median is often quite useful. As you say you'd need to know about the big weeks and have a control factor for those too, but for standard weeks it could reduce the percentage swings.

Jonnyram

DSL 26,004
PSP 66,837
PS3 4,107
PS2 7,467
360 6,858
Wii 25,459

Pro Golfer Monkey 720
Wii Music 42000/140000
Tenchu 4 13000/13000
Saihai no Yukue 12000/12000

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, I didn't expect PSP to see such a big drop, and PS3 almost 4k?!? :eek:

360 dropped a bit less than I thought it would.

Tenchu MEGA BOMBA!

Wii Golf Monkey game 720
Those poor 720 people. :lol

I wonder how many of them bought it just to see how bad it is.

Talamius

Jonnyram said:
DSL 26,004
PSP 66,837
PS3 4,107
PS2 7,467
360 6,858
Wii 25,459

Pro Golfer Monkey 720
Wii Music 42000/140000
Tenchu 4 13000/13000

HD consoles can't even break 11k combined now? Ouch.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:
DSL 26,004
PSP 66,837
PS3 4,107
PS2 7,467
360 6,858
Wii 25,459

Pro Golfer Monkey 720
Wii Music 42000/140000
Tenchu 4 13000/13000

Wii Music certainly isn't increasing Wii hardware.

:lol :lol :lol at PS3

Nolan.

It's not much but still, is the 6-7k weekly going to be the new 360 1-2k of old, i'm not sure why it's lasting.

Dunlop

Jonnyram said:
DSL 26,004
PSP 66,837
PS3 4,107
PS2 7,467
360 6,858
Wii 25,459

Pro Golfer Monkey 720
Wii Music 42000/140000
Tenchu 4 13000/13000

seriously wtf?!?! Is the LBP bundle out there yet?

test_account

XP-39C²
No big suprise with the PS3 (atleast in my opinion). Last week it was under 5k, and i since the new bundles are released tomorrow, i didnt think this week's (well, last week) numbers would be any higher for the PS3. Still, its a pretty low number though, no doubt about that. I wonder how the PS3 will do in the upcomming months now that the 80GB is being released. I wonder if it will go about to about 10k a week or if it will eventually go down to around 5k as it is now.

I wonder why Tenchu 4 sold so little compared to how Tenchu 3 did. Tenchu 3 did about 124k the first week. Maybe it was much more adverticing around Tenchu 3, but still, its over 100k in difference.

botticus

test_account said:
I wonder why Tenchu 4 sold so little compared to how Tenchu 3 did. Tenchu 3 did about 124k the first week. Maybe it was much more adverticing around Tenchu 3, but still, its over 100k in difference.
The series hasn't exactly been on the rise since Tenchu 3, but the Wii clearly doesn't have the Tenchu fanbase from the PS2 regardless.

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=133

Tenchu 4 will fit nicely in between the PSP and 360 games on this graph.

Jonnyram

I wonder how the 360 version would have done with a 6 million install base though!

1.Girl's Mode 86000
2.Abaddon 77000
3.Pokemon Platinum 48000 1793000
4.WiiMusic 42000 141000
5.Rhythm Tengoku Gold 37000 968000
6.Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaiki da or2 29000 91000
7.Castlevania 20000
8.BLEACH 18000
9.Soul Eater DS 13000
10.Tenchu 4 13000

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
I wonder how the 360 version would have done with a 6 million install base though!
That's kinda irrelevant since the 360 will never have a 6 million install base though. Poor From, if only they had a NA branch and could reap the benefits Tenchu Z did in the west. Then the series never would've left the 360!

schuelma

Jonnyram said:

I don't think that many would dispute that the 360's userbase in Japan is a more rabid, "core" gamer consumer.

But with that small a userbase, does it really matter yet?

Spiegel

botticus said:
The series hasn't exactly been on the rise since Tenchu 3, but the Wii clearly doesn't have the Tenchu fanbase from the PS2 regardless.

spinoffs != main series games. This is the next Tenchu and doing 3k after the first day is terrible.

Psp dropping faster than expected, Dsi is going to win the year easily.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
No, it doesn't matter, but it went on sale two years ago when the 360 base was barely developing as it was.

I think I misread your post- I thought you were talking about Tenchu 4 if it came to the 360.

test_account

XP-39C²
botticus said:
The series hasn't exactly been on the rise since Tenchu 3, and the Wii clearly doesn't have the Tenchu fanbase from the PS2.

Ye, that might be the reason, loss of interest for the serie. But when the Tenchu game for the PSP was released, the PSP installbase was at about 1.6 million. When the Tenchu game for the Xbox 360 was released, the Xbox 360 install base was at about 166k.

The Wii install base is now at about 6.9 million. I would think it could do better than 13k the first week :\ The PS2 install base was at 11.3 million when Tenchu 3 was released, so the bigger install base might also have been a factor to higher sale of Tenchu 3 compared to Tenchu 4.

But it has only been 1 week. The Tench game for PSP opened at 28.1k, but the LTD ended at 70.942k, so something simular might happend to Tenchu 4 for the Wii as well. We'll see what happends :)

Spiegel said:
spinoffs != main series games. This is the next Tenchu and doing 3k after the first day is terrible.

Psp dropping faster than expected, Dsi is going to win the year easily.
Those "spinoffs" were by and large spin-offs in name only, and were positioned marketing-wise as new installments in the series. Also, spin-offs are perfectly capable of diluting a brand, particularly if that brand is not well-established to begin with.

Nevertheless, the Wii's audience certainly plays into such a low number. It seems as though the Wii is nigh-invulnerable to attempts to expand its market beyond the expanded market.

Also AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA at this week's failures, including long-running endurance champ the PS3.

schuelma

test_account said:
But it has only been 1 week. The Tench game for PSP opened at 28.1k, but the LTD ended at 70.942k, so something simular might happend to the Wii version as well. We'll see what happends :)

I think its pretty clear that Tenchu 4 is a big bomba. Probably some of it is decline in interest, some of it might be lack of advertising, and some of it is no doubt the Wii userbase.

botticus

test_account said:
Ye, that might be the reason, loss of interest for the serie. But when the Tenchu game for the PSP was released, the PSP installbase was at about 1.6 million. When the Tenchu game for the Xbox 360 was released, the Xbox 360 install base was at about 166k.

The Wii install base is now at about 6.9 million. I would think it could do better than 13k :\ The PS2 install base was at 11.3 million when Tenchu 3 was released, so the bigger install base might also have been a factor to higher sale of Tenchu 3 compared to Tenchu 4.

But it has only been 1 week. The Tench game for PSP opened at 28.1k, but the LTD ended at 70.942k, so something simular might happend to the Wii version as well. We'll see what happends :)
With only 3k after the first day, I don't think it will go very far. I suppose once Tenchu 5 comes out in 5 years for Platform X we'll know how much of that to attribute to series attrition and how much to lack of interest from the Wii userbase.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nevertheless, the Wii's audience certainly plays into such a low number. It seems as though the Wii is nigh-invulnerable to attempts to expand its market beyond the expanded market.

It's very interesting what games do fine and what games bomb. Fatal Frame IV with its bugs and bad pub is most likely now the best selling entry in the series, while Tenchu IV is a complete flop.

It's obvious that the PS2 userbase is not shifting to the Wii, but it also seems like certain franchises do ok. Weird.

lol @ tenchu, even with acquire back...bodes well for tenchu 5 and 6 eh? :lol

Freaking huge drop for PSP. Insane weekend for Girls Mode, "DS2" did pretty fine, Castlevania on the same numbers as the PSP one (which means better than the other DS titles), poor Bleach and Saihai no Yukue numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
botticus said:
With only 3k after the first day, I don't think it will go very far. I suppose once Tenchu 5 comes out in 5 years for Platform X we'll know how much of that to attribute to series attrition and how much to lack of interest from the Wii userbase.
That is a good point, i didnt think about that Tenchu 4 went from 10k the first day sales to 13k the first week sales, thanks for pointing that out :) I guess this relatively small increase from the first day sales to the first week sales might be a indicator that Tenchu 4 wont increase the sales in the upcomming weeks and months that much. It is a pity for the developer and the publisher of Tenchu 4 :( I hope that Tenchu 4 sells better in the rest of the world (if Tenchu 4 gets released outside of Japan).

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, think I'll take another "few months" holiday.

/wave, my fellow sales mavens.

I hope you're taking this break to come up with some Conduit selling points.

schuelma

test_account said:
I hope that Tenchu 4 sells better in the rest of the world (if Tenchu 4 gets released outside of Japan).

Tenchu 4 is coming out in N.A early next year, published by Ubisoft.

Hopefully Tenchu 4 does well in the west. I mean damn if Tenchu Z can perform over here what's stopping T4?

Then again X360 userbase /= Wii userbase so hmm...

schuelma

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hopefully Tenchu 4 does well in the west. I mean damn if Tenchu Z can perform over here what's stopping T4?

Then again X360 userbase /= Wii userbase so hmm...

True, though the Wii userbase is so desparate for decent "real" games it might do ok by default.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jonnyram said:

1.Girl's Mode 86000
2.Abaddon 77000
3.Pokemon Platinum 48000 1793000
4.WiiMusic 42000 141000
5.Rhythm Tengoku Gold 37000 968000
6.Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaiki da or2 29000 91000
7.Castlevania 20000
8.BLEACH 18000
9.Soul Eater DS 13000
10.Tenchu 4 13000

wow good job for devil summoner 2, almost outselling DS1 ltd week one. excellent continuing sales for pokemon platinum and Yuusa no Kuse ni Namaiki da or2.

hahahaah girls mode success
hahahaha wii music bombaaaa
hahahaha castlevania continues to tank
hahahaha soul eater what a shitty fanchise
hahahaha tenchu 4 1/10th of tenchu 3
hahahaha ps3 all-time low
hahahaha psp off sharply from 3000 debut

hahahaahahah

yankee666

I just dont get it. The 3rd party japanese devs jump the bandagon from ps360 to the wi because it has the biggest userbase, but then when they release a "hardcore" game it doesnt sell more than 15k the first week. ie Disaster (2nd party), sky crawlers, and now tenchu 4 to name a few. Is japan slowly turning into casual gamers??.... i hope not

Busaiku

"Real games" on the Wii do tend to sell in the west on Wii. No More Heroes is an example of that, and I'm sure there are more.
It just seems Japan's audience is limited to the "Wii *Title*" crowd and some younger anime fans.

Jonnyram

yankee666 said:
Is japan slowly turning into casual gamers??.... i hope not
Japan has always been full of casual gamers. Famicom was literally as its name described -- a Family Computer. The fact that casual and hardcore market were together caused many positives for the industry. I'm sure there are more than a few games that have been bought by casuals because of buzz from the hardcore; Rhythm Tengoku would arguably be a perfect example of this.

Unfortunately, disposable income is finite, and the casual have already spent most of their cash on WiiSports, WiiFit, WiiPlay, and are in the process of spending on WiiMusic. The PS1 and PS2 had massive casual userbases, but no Wii<fill in the blank> titles, so the casuals bought games like FF, DQ, MinGolf, GT, etc.

schuelma

yankee666 said:
I just dont get it. The 3rd party japanese devs jump the bandagon from ps360 to the wi because it has the biggest userbase, but then when they release a "hardcore" game it doesnt sell more than 15k the first week. ie Disaster (2nd party), sky crawlers, and now tenchu 4 to name a few. Is japan slowly turning into casual gamers??.... i hope not

It's weird though, because some "hardcore" Wii releases have done just fine. ToS:KoR, RE:UC, Fatal Frame...

It's a very tough market to figure out apparently. The big problem I see is there haven't been any major tentpole 3rd party games to build up that PS2 audience.

TunaLover

Sky Crawlers
BASARA 2
Tenchu 4
Guilty Gear XX (compared to 360 anemic user base, the 360 game double in sales at Wii version)

All those game bombed hard on Wii, I was expected they perform a little better, they aren't from crappy developer X.

It seems hard determinate what game will sell well, other hardcore games performed just well: Fatal Frame 4, MS Gundam 0079, DQS, RE serie, etc.

MS Gundam and DQS can be explained as being relatively 'mainstream' in the consciousness of the Japanese audience, they'd likely perform well as long as they weren't dumped onto failure consoles.

More niche series in general seem to be utter crapshoots, though.

Top Bottom