• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/20 - 10/26

donny2112

schuelma said:
Looks like hardware will struggle until Animal Crossing.

I don't see Animal Crossing helping things much, personally. I hate to say it, but "Wait for Monster Hunter 3." Short of another expanded audience game with the impact of Wii Fit, Wii's best hope is the core audience which has mostly shunned the Wii to this point. Monster Hunter 3 is about the only bright hope for getting some of that audience to the Wii, at this point.

360 is 18 units shy of doubling the PS3 this week.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Wow, I honestly did not think the 360 would keep its hardware sales lead over the PS3 for this long.

I'm happy to have been proven wrong. :D

donny2112

Golden Darkness said:
How many weeks of XBox 360 > PS3 does that make it now?

Too many/Not enough depending on which team you're playing for.

Stumpokapow said:
Within 100k of each other, PS3 has a slight lead.

At least the PS3 is acting like the typical second-place system in Japan. Some people used to claim that the PS3 would be the exception and sell decently, despite it tracking close to the GameCube at the same point. "The GameCube dropped a lot later on, so the PS3 will pull away then." Uh-huh.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Saint10118 said:
Not to be combative, but selling more than it was last year and only a less than 2% decline from last week doesn't seem that weak to me.

Well, I have Wii selling 27K from 10/21-10/28 and the following week it goes up to 38K.

jakncoke

Banned
donny2112 said:
Obviously as it's selling about the same as the Wii which doesn't sell software.

Edit:
From my Famitsu database, 3/31 - 10/19, whatever I have in my database (which is Top 30s+ but not everything).

NDS - 9,742,917
WII - 4,949,323
PSP - 4,086,197
PS2 - 2,823,829
PS3 - 1,651,435
360 - 627,145

Essentially, DS is selling freaking truckloads of software under the radar.

Edit2:
PSP 60,467
Wii 24,292
DS Lite 22,965
Xbox 360 7,844
PS2 6,962
PS3 3,931

wow, I wonder if 80gb ps3 will put ps3 back on top of 360 on a week to week basis.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
I don't see Animal Crossing helping things much, personally. I hate to say it, but "Wait for Monster Hunter 3." Short of another expanded audience game with the impact of Wii Fit, Wii's best hope is the core audience which has mostly shunned the Wii to this point. Monster Hunter 3 is about the only bright hope for getting some of that audience to the Wii, at this point.

I agree it's not going to have the same impact as Wii Fit, but I think Animal Crossing might have enough appeal and be close enough to the holiday season that hardware starts a significant upswing.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
There is no pricedrop and everyone is saying that LBP is going to bomb :/

Bundles and 80GB launch. I think it'll be enough to get close to, if not over, 25K, which would probably beat Wii next week.

However, the big story for next week will be DSi sales. 200-300K initial shipment from early retailer estimations.

justchris

I don't know, considering the likely dev costs of Wii Music, I wouldn't say it was a failure, even if it ends up being less of a spectacular success than the other Wii ____ titles. A disappointment sure, but hardly a failure.

TunaLover

GAF lack of confidence on AC will turn it in a big success. Seriously, it has brand mindshare, it has ninty core gamers on board, it has casual appeal, and it has a periferal, what could go wrong'

I wonder just how much sweating there will be over at Sony HQ waiting for the first week figures for their new bundle sales? :lol

zoku88

PSGames said:
Can someone leaving in Japan explain this recent 360>PS3 phenomenon? It just doesn't make any sense.. :lol
Well, for one, there's a new bundle for PS3 releasing soon (or maybe it was this week.)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
mabuza said:
little big planet will push hardware sales to around 50k next week.

No way :lol

Maybe 25000 or some such.

donny2112

zoku88 said:
Well, for one, there's a new bundle for PS3 releasing soon (or maybe it was this week.)

That explains PS3's drastic fall, but the 360 was beating the PS3 weekly before that announcement.

Psychotext said:
I wonder just how much sweating there will be over at Sony HQ waiting for the first week figures for their new bundle sales? :lol

They may not like the results, but they've chosen to try to get the division profitable at the expense of marketshare. There will probably be people on this board worrying more about it than anyone at Sony will be. :D

blitz64

PSGames said:
Can someone leaving in Japan explain this recent 360>PS3 phenomenon? It just doesn't make any sense.. :lol

This reminds me that I miss Vinks weekly japanese report.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

tn_mc-1-total-weekly-pie-100.png

>>CLICK HERE FOR FULL HARDWARE CHARTS<<

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks |   YTD     |    LTD     [/U][/B]
DS       |    22,965 |    29,839 |      127,103 | 2,491,509 | 23,664,563
PSP      |    60,467 |   159,816 |      270,229 | 3,053,429 | 10,718,506
WII      |    24,292 |    26,024 |       98,523 | 2,288,681 |  6,904,820
360      |     7,844 |     7,856 |       31,734 |   220,629 |    729,074
PS2      |     6,962 |     7,261 |       29,823 |   412,234 | 21,339,274
PS3      |     3,931 |     4,725 |       21,622 |   703,872 |  2,345,548

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Psychotext said:

I'm guessing they already have Plan B in the works.

plan b = PS3 Lite

jakncoke

Banned
mabuza said:
little big planet will push hardware sales to around 50k next week.

That'd be nice because that would= LBP sold massive amounts but it's not going to happen because we live in a cruel world :(, not sure what LBP is going to do but hopefully it at least joins the 100k selling club, perhaps even enter the top 10 for PS3 ltd for a little bit. Any word of on how many LBP copies they shipped in the first shipment?

Firestorm

something something only one week something something trends something
PSGames said:
Japanese gamers might have finally come around and understood that the games they want are on the Xbox 360? At least that's what I hope happened! Buying consoles out of brand loyalty does not work.

kay

OldJadedGamer said:
Also, don't forget that Sony is pulling a WiiPlay and including a free controller with LBP so that will bump the numbers higher too.
No they aren't, the bundle is 8000 yen while the game is 6000 (or less).

TunaLover

dumb question but if a game perform plain bad in Japan like Sky Crawlers, there more incentive to bring it overseas', I mean like a mesure to lowering the hit in production cost'
what say the history about this'.

zoku88

TunaLover said:
dumb question but if a game perform plain bad in Japan like Sky Crawlers, there more incentive to bring it overseas', I mean like a mesure to lowering the hit in production cost'
what say the history about this'.
I.. don' think that's true, usually. Localizing is a pain.

Gaborn

So... I realize this is the lowest PS3 week ever (and that next week should be better with the new model/bundle/etc) so it's not the opportune time to ask... but I've been curious for a while now. Obviously I think most people are predicting that at this point the PS3 will not beat the Wii in Japan, but to me the interesting thing is... any thoughts on when the Wii may be uncatchable? Any speculation on when the Wii might reach a sales point the PS3 LTD will never match? Personally, I'm expecting it to beat the gamecube, it's tracking slightly ahead of it even with it's horrible weeks recently and the upcoming holiday should help the PS3 a bit, it should get a final significant bump with FF13 when that is eventually released which, while it will never threaten the Wii should put it safely above the GC.

I'm thinking... The PS3 will sell roughly 7 million when all is said and done for them.

does this seem at all reasonable? (again, realize this is just a wild prediction reasonably far into the future). The PS3 should get boosts from price drops beyond what most consoles get and FF13 should help to bring more of that audience (that hasn't already gotten it in anticipation). Beyond that there should be one or two more titles we don't know about that will give disproportionately large bumps to their hardware sales.

donny2112

zoku88 said:
But that was the week ToV was released, wasn't it?

Early October.

Gaborn said:
Obviously I think most people are predicting that at this point the PS3 will not beat the Wii in Japan, but to me the interesting thing is... any thoughts on when the Wii may be uncatchable?

Early 2007.

Gaborn said:
Any speculation on when the Wii might reach a sales point the PS3 LTD will never match?

Now. Wii is at 6.9 million, you know. A 50% improvement on the GameCube would put the PS3 at ~6 million.

Gaborn

donny2112 said:
Now. Wii is at 6.9 million, you know. A 50% improvement on the GameCube would put the PS3 at ~6 million.

True, now or close to now at least, it's just sort of an interesting thought... we're past, at, or near the point that the PS3 will never reach.

Top Bottom