• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

crbowen

Salmonax said:
I never know what's good or not, but I take it that's disappointing for Mario. Here's hoping he fares better elsewhere.

It's been out for one week. I doubt people are done buying it.

mario performs slightly below its half life

day 1. 130,000
2. + 65000 = 195000
3. + 32500 = 227500
4. + 16250 = 247350
5. + 8125 = 255475
6. + 4063 = 259538
7. + 2031 = 261569

261569 is mario's sales half-life.
what does this say about galaxy's legs? hell if i know

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Not bad numbers for Mario. I remember NSMB's first week to be pretty underwhelming as well, what were the exact numbers again? Keep in mind that this game will sell fairly well until Wii dies. I'm thinking 2mil+ lifetime sales in Japan, maybe, just maybe it will crack the 10 mil worldwide barrier.

Wow at Ace Combat, I really didn't see that one coming at all. Can it overtake Blue Dragon??? Stay tuned for next week's Media-Create thread!

Jonnyram said:
Internationally famous mega-franchise, high review scores all around: 251,000 / 3,707,000 = 6.77%
Relatively popular franchise on 360 in Japan, decent reviews: 77,000 / 430,000 = 17.91%

see sales-age is worth the hassle
this here is a prime example of how great the use of numbers can be

Tristam

Salmonax said:
I never know what's good or not, but I take it that's disappointing for Mario. Here's hoping he fares better elsewhere.

It is disappointing. I was expecting double it.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder if some stores are gonna drop the price on mario galaxy since many probably ordered a bunch thinking they were gonna sell like a pokemon game.

methane47

tetrisgrammaton said:
mario performs slightly below its half life

day 1. 130,000
2. + 65000 = 195000
3. + 32500 = 227500
4. + 16250 = 247350
5. + 8125 = 255475
6. + 4063 = 259538
7. + 2031 = 261569

261569 is mario's sales half-life.
what does this say about galaxy's legs? hell if i know

It means once it reaches Hiroshima.. that will just about wrap it up for Japan...

Jonnyram

smurfx said:
wonder if some stores are gonna drop the price on mario galaxy since many probably ordered a bunch thinking they were gonna sell like a pokemon game.
They will sell them all before the end of the year at the current price, so why drop it?

tebunker

Banned
Huh, I thought over a quarter million in 4 days wasn't too shabby considering we haven't been drinking Mario Diet Pepsi for 3 months, nor have we seen Mario pimping Cadillacs and Mops. So with the relative lack of marketing, I'd say it's not too shabby.

Galaxy came out on the 1st in Japan right...

laserbeam

Banned
nothing to really worry about as far as Mario goes. Mario is one franchise that has some amazing legs. I expect it to do very well long term

The continued success of Idolm@ster creeps me out. I remember at TGS they said it had the 2nd most successful DLC on Xbox Live, which is insane considering how few 360s are in Japan.

GhaleonEB

d[-_-]b said:
Go SMG! 251k it will have legs I assume.
Yeah, it should have crazy legs. Very good debut.

Also a good start of AC6. I assume 360 sales will be up quite a bit with the price cut, and that AC6 will nosedive right out of the top 30 next week. But still, it's higher than I expected.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
yeah, i just wanted to know the real number, I didn't actually think you were wrong, but its always nice for someone else to find out the exact info for you. :p

d[-_-]b

Banned
laserbeam said:
nothing to really worry about as far as Mario goes. Mario is one franchise that has some amazing legs. I expect it to do very well long term
Glad someone is on the same boat as me. People and their over-reactions, it's you guys that give fanboys a bad name.

I predict that the ace combat dropoff % will be 6 times higher than the mario galaxy dropoff.

Amazing sales for that game though. if the X360 is ever to beat the PS3, this week would be it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Mario will be fine and will only be behind Wii Fit and SSB B when all is said and done.

I'm more curious to see how this affects Wii hardware sales for the week.

If thats all Super Mario Galaxy is going to sell the first week and I'm not saying it wont have legs but seriously if that is all it is selling then there is no reason not to move on to New IPs

give those a chance they can't do worst, its not like there are no great CMs running in Japan right now for SMG

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kastrioti said:
Mario will be fine and will only be behind Wii Fit and SSB B when all is said and done.

Judging by the Famitsu numbers, not much.

Just look at all the other Mario games STILL in the charts, on both systems.

If its not Pokemon or Training, its Mario. They have legs that go all the way to the top.

:lol @ anyone who thinks Galaxy is not gonna still be in that chart somewhere this time next year.

laserbeam

Banned
Kastrioti said:

Wii Sports is back in the top 10 so that should signify some sort of sales boost

Draft

Smiles and Cries said:
If thats all Super Mario Galaxy is going to sell the first week and I'm not saying it wont have legs but seriously if that is all it is selling then there is no reason not to move on to New IPs

give those a chance they can't do worst, its not like there are no great CMs running in Japan right now for SMG
On one hand I want to push you down some stairs, but on the other... I mean, we all whine and cry about innovation and what have you, and this would be what, the 300th Mario game? Maybe it is time to put the dude out to pasture. Maybe it's time for the next Mario to appear.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Smiles and Cries said:

In japan maybe, but in America, SMG will sell at least 1 million first week (probably much more, too). Gotta have a proper mix, though. Nintendo would be great if they could come up with amazing new, non mini-game collections.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Also, Opoona did so pathetically it's unbelieveable, 3000 is certainly far from what I expected.

HAL_Laboratory said:
How is 250,000 copies in 3 days a bad thing?
When Sunshine did better in the middle of July, yes it is.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Draft said:
On one hand I want to push you down some stairs, but on the other... I mean, we all whine and cry about innovation and what have you, and this would be what, the 300th Mario game[b/]?

Ugh. Sure, this may be the 300th Mario game, but it's only the THIRD Mario platformer in 10 years.

Draft

Oblivion said:
Ugh. Sure, this may be the 300th Mario game, but it's only the THIRD Mario platformer in 10 years.
I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is that Nintendo platformers could exist without Mario. I mean, think of it this way: Wii Sports could have very easily been Mario Sports. In fact, I think the Nintendo of just 2 years ago would have done just that. But they didn't, and look at what happened.

It's just interesting to me.

schuelma

HAL_Laboratory said:
How is 250,000 copies in 3 days a bad thing?

Because it got outsold by Mario Sunshine even with the advantages of a hot console and a substantially larger userbase.

Krowley

For mario to have legs, I think they ultimatley need to sell some systems with the game.

I don't think the right mix of gamertypes exist in the current japanese userbase to produce massive sales for a traditional title. My estimation of the japanese wii market has changed drasticly in the last few months. I think the vast majority of the japanese wii owners are there for the novelty. They're not mario fans, they're not zelda fans and they're not traditional gamers.

This game may end up being a gateway drug, and convince a bunch of DS/PS2 owners to buy a wii, but that will require word of mouth. The lucky thing is that this is a holiday title, so there is a greater chance of this happening.

The situation in america is completley different, because zelda attracted a huge pile of traditional gamers when the wii was released. Dropping a traditional game into the american userbase is a much safer bet. The japanese wii hasn't had a runaway traditional hit yet, and it looks like it might be an uphill battle.

schuelma

Krowley said:
For mario to have legs, I think they ultimatley need to sell some systems with the game.

I don't think the right mix of gamertypes exist in the current japanese userbase to produce massive sales for a traditional title. My estimation of the japanese wii market has changed drasticly in the last few months. I think the vast majority of the japanese wii owners are there for the novelty. They're not mario fans, they're not zelda fans and they're not traditional gamers.

This game may end up being a gateway for taking hardcore types from the DS and PS2 and getting them to buy a wii, but that will require word of mouth. The lucky thing is that this is a holiday title, so there is a greater chance of this happening.

The situation in america is completley different, because zelda attracted a huge pile of traditional gamers when the wii was released. Dropping a traditional game into the american userbase is a much safer bet. The japanese wii hasn't had a runaway traditional hit yet, and it looks like it might be an uphill battle.

Good analysis. Maybe Brawl will be that game.

Top Bottom