• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

laserbeam

Banned
schuelma said:
Because it got outsold by Mario Sunshine even with the advantages of a hot console and a substantially larger userbase.

Sunshine was the first Platformer since Mario 64 though so had alot more expectations on it that it would rule the world

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Smiles and Cries said:
please tell me thats not true... :O

Well, it did 200K first day, 300K for the week..but the shipment was only 350K so that number would have been higher.

1176408512684.gif

legend166

Does anyone happen to have the sales for this week last year? I'd like to compare the top 10 sales for each. I mean, the way the market has taken a down turn is crazy.

Jammy

Banned
This really (not quite yet) begs the question on where the Mario (and to some extent Metroid... but that's for another topic) franchise will go now. Nintendo knows how much of a smash hit NSMB was on the DS. I mean, that game's heading for what... 15 million easily by the end of DS's lifespan?

People equate Mario with not just platforming genius, but side-scrolling platforming genius. It was amazing to see the results of how the public reacted to a brand new side-scroller entry in the series after all of those years.

Maybe Nintendo could pull out one for the Wii with the genius of DK: Jungle Beat and Galaxy still thanks to the Tokyo office. Being 2D, I really don't see why Galaxy would be the only Mario game for the system during its lifespan.

schuelma

laserbeam said:
Sunshine was the first Platformer since Mario 64 though so had alot more expectations on it that it would rule the world

This board collectively had very very high expectations for Galaxy. Not unrealistic ones IMO.

It's a disappointment, plain and simple.

I'm predicting Galaxy will be a slow burner with long legs. People in Japan are taking the wait-and-see approach after Sunshine
I hope

laserbeam

Banned
schuelma said:
This board collectively had very very high expectations for Galaxy. Not unrealistic ones IMO.

It's a disappointment, plain and simple.

Oh I agree I expected higher sales myself but i know the legs Mario has so short term disappointment is high but long term it will be another mega seller

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jesus Christ it's 3 freaking days and people are already talking about how Nintendo should force Mario to be 2D or cancel him altogether. You people are crazy. Yes, relatively speaking it's a mild debut but this is Mario for crying out loud. It'll sell and it'll sell damn well.

schuelma

laserbeam said:
Oh I agree I expected higher sales myself but i know the legs Mario has so short term disappointment is high but long term it will be another mega seller

Well, we'll see. Like I said, next week will tell a lot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
rakka said:
holy shit, terrible first week for galaxy.

Do people actually say sensationalist things like this and actually believe them themselves?

Wow.

Anyway, it was a good first week. As for NSMB's first week sales, it was on DS. And it was a 2D Mario. I think that's a pretty big factor.

Just wait and see what happens.

Krowley

schuelma said:
Good analysis. Maybe Brawl will be that game.

Hopefully.

I thought mario would be it, and maybe it still will be, but if not, I guess brawl is the next real chance, and after that, maybe FFCC.

The longer it takes, the fewer hardcore titles we'll get from japanese devs on the wii, cause everything's going to underperform over there.

schuelma

It's really incredible that it couldn't beat out Sunshine's first week.

A decent amount of GC owners must be sitting this generation out so far.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ZealousD said:
Jesus Christ it's 3 freaking days and people are already talking about how Nintendo should force Mario to be 2D or cancel him altogether. You people are crazy. Yes, relatively speaking it's a mild debut but this is Mario for crying out loud. It'll sell and it'll sell damn well.

Something similar was said about Zelad when it launched. "Bu bu bu INSANE TIE RATIO", "CRAZY LEGS", etc. And look what happened.

Draft

omg rite said:
Do people actually say sensationalist things like this and actually believe them themselves?

Wow.

Anyway, it was a good first week. As for NSMB's first week sales, it was on DS. And it was a 2D Mario. I think that's a pretty big factor.

Just wait and see what happens.
Why does that matter? Was their another 2D Mario in the last 5 years that also sold well (honest question.)

Obviously it is too early to call SMG a bomb but at the same time to just dismiss it being outsold by SMS and whatever the fuck else with the whole "long legs" argument is easily as shortsighted.

Krowley

schuelma said:
It's really incredible that it couldn't beat out Sunshine's first week.

A decent amount of GC owners must be sitting this generation out so far.

That's what I'm thinking... either that or they bought a DS and are content to stick to handheld gaming.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
With Shiggy already saying that Zelda didn't go good in Japan, combined with this. I don't trust Nintendo offerings in the future after Smash Brothers

Agent Icebeezy said:
With Shiggy already saying that Zelda didn't go good in Japan, combined with this. I don't trust Nintendo offerings in the future after Smash Brothers

Just wait for My Wii Household Diary. It'll burn up the sales charts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oblivion said:
Something similar was said about Zelad when it launched. "Bu bu bu INSANE TIE RATIO", "CRAZY LEGS", etc. And look what happened.

Yeah, it was a major worldwide success for Nintendo and became the best selling title on the system outside of Wii Sports and that $10 remote upgrade. What a horrible, horrible outcome, right?

But hey, go and continue on thinking that the most recognizable character in video games is going to sell poorly. Meanwhile, I'll be the rational one.

Yep, Nintendo is just a couple years away from dropping hardcore gaming all together after these low "hardcore" game sales. C'mon Sony, SAVE THE DAY!

What was the userbase of GC when Sunshine came out in japan? Either way, I really want Galaxy to end up doing well in the long run so here's to hoping.

Jiggy

ZealousD said:
3 freaking days and people are already talking about how Nintendo should force Mario to be 2D or cancel him altogether.
Personally, I've thought he should be 2D since 1996, but hey.

People saying Galaxy will be on the charts yada yada yada, NO Galaxy needed to do most of its sales right now in the next few weeks before December 1st. BEFORE Wii Fit

I'm not even sure if Galaxy will catch Wii Sports if we don't see the same level sales for next week. I mean no drop at all or maybe break 300k next week and all will be forgiven Japan. Do it buy this game dammit!

Don't you people understand if this game does not beat the non-game madness we will be stuck with Wii Fit games for the next 5 years?

schuelma

ZealousD said:
Yeah, it was a major worldwide success for Nintendo and became the best selling title on the system outside of Wii Sports and that $10 remote upgrade. What a horrible, horrible outcome, right?

But hey, go and continue on thinking that the most recognizable character in video games is going to sell poorly. Meanwhile, I'll be the rational one.

We're talking about Japan here. In Japan it performed worse than it's predecessor.

And I don't think anyone is saying Galaxy is going to sell "poorly", just that it doesn't look like it's going to be the shot in the arm like many of us thought it would be.

schuelma

Smiles and Cries said:
People saying Galaxy will be on the charts yada yada yada, NO Galaxy needed to do most of its sales right now in the next few weeks before December 1st. BEFORE Wii Fit

I'm not even sure if Galaxy will catch Wii Sports if we don't see the same level sales for next week. I mean no drop at all or maybe break 300k next week and all will be forgiven Japan. Do it buy this game dammit!

Don't you people understand if this game does not beat the non-game madness we will be stuck with Wii Fit games for the next 5 years?

There is no way Galaxy passes Wii Sports in Japan.

Galaxy will probably get the MGS3 treatment

Superior to it's predecessor in every way, but sold less due to the reception of the aforementioned predecessor.

Zzoram

fistfulofmetal said:
Galaxy will probably get the MGS3 treatment

Superior to it's predecessor in every way, but sold less due to the reception of the aforementioned predecessor.

It probably has more to do with the Wii demographic being all casuals eating up Wii Sports and the soon to be released Wii Fit.

Krowley

ZealousD said:

Good sales aren't good enough.

It needs fantastic sales. It needs to explode and sell on par with the non games or at least very close. It needs to be more like NSMB on the DS.

Obviously it's going to do great in the USA and in Europe (more than enough to make up for disapointing japanese sales), but sometimes nintendo bases most of their decisions on the japanese market, and that's what causes the fear. If they continue to see big budget games doing less than expected in japan, they may change their priorities. That may sound a little paranoid but nintendo can be scary with shit like that.

Rolf NB

Oh. Charts. Interesting.
*ogles more closely*
Oh. People.
*burns the sail*
*kicks into reverse*
*magnetizes the anchor*

schuelma said:
There is no way Galaxy passes Wii Sports in Japan.

in a perfect world yeah it would but I agree it looks like the blue ocean is not a good place for Mario Platformers

I mean did you people see the Mario Party 8 sales? what was the first week of MP8?

legend166 said:
Does anyone happen to have the sales for this week last year? I'd like to compare the top 10 sales for each. I mean, the way the market has taken a down turn is crazy.
The first post does. Here it is.

Smiles and Cries said:
I'm not even sure if Galaxy will catch Wii Sports if we don't see the same level sales for next week.
Even if SMG had a debut of 400K I wouldn't be sure it would ever catch Wii Sports. 2+ million is no easy goal.
No.

Saitou

Banned
ethelred said:
Not even touching the thread this week. Jokers can have fun with their fanwank!
Man, I was already thinking of posting "I don't want to be any of you when ethelred comes in." :(

Cocktease.

*swaggers into thread and scratches crotch*

So... is Kenka banned yet?

It is nice to see FFTA2 hanging on, but it's a shame about the decline. This one's supposed to be an improvement on the first in every way.

And don't you all worry about SMG. Mario's got legs. It'll beat Sunshine.

knkng

Smiles and Cries said:
Personally, I'm more concerned with the Japanese migration to handheld and cellphone games. Don't get me wrong, I love handhelds, but the Japanese console market looks like it collapsing in on itself. As for the cellphone games, I don't even understand that shit...I mean, really, how do they play games on those things?

Regardless, those are decent numbers for Mario, and I'm sure it'll have legs, but goddamn Japan, try playing some video games on screens bigger than your fucking thumb.

(North America to the rescue? I sure hope so...)

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ditto. Have fun, gents.

We're not stopping to pee on the way either, so don't drink too much of the juice.

What a letdown.

Top Bottom