• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

AniHawk said:
GTA 4: 82
360: 56
PS3: 26

The only game I've ever see the PS3 have a gain on the 360 is for DMC4.

I think that DMC hasn`t really hit peoples radar yet. After christmas I`d expect those numbers to shoot up. DMC is a big PS franchise though.

Anyway, thanks for the numbers, most interesting, and in some ways disappointing

AniHawk

The Innocent X said:
I think that DMC hasn`t really hit peoples radar yet. After christmas I`d expect those numbers to shoot up. DMC is a big PS franchise though.

Anyway, thanks for the numbers, most interesting, and in some ways disappointing

The biggest PS3 numbers this year have been for Guitar Hero III (33), Lair (30ish), and Heavenly Sword (around 30 too). Ratchet and all the other fall games like Haze aren't on people's radars since most people don't have PS3 if they bought a new console.

Parl

JoshuaJSlone said:
PHEW. So a few days ago I showed the PS3/Wii software data I had up. Since then I've been working on the DS/PSP equivalent, which as you can imagine is several times as big. I'm still not completely done with what's out there (the 2006 Top 500 is notably not included yet), but I have enough to finish the night having reached what was my initial need a week or so back. The data is pretty solid through 2005, so we can get a good look at what DS and PSP were like at the age PS3 and Wii are now.

Wii through the week of 2007-10-22
PS3 through the week of 2007-10-22
DS through the week of 2005-10-24
PSP through the week of 2005-10-31
(PS3 is allowed a few more weeks than the others in this comparison, but what the heck.)

I'm not going to write a detailed comparison at the moment, but one thing I didn't remember was that DS didn't have a million seller yet; though all of the top 5 eventually would be.

Feel free to make presentation suggestions. Now that I've got enough data collected to make this useful, I can put some effort to making it not awful and hard for the eyes to take in.
Nice, thanks. So DS started slow when it came to software sales, and am I right in thinking that up to this point in Wii and DS's respective lives, they both have a similar sell through? (with Wii being a bit in front).

Thanks for the numbers.

Anyway, it's time for me to spin/un-spin the SMG first week sales compared to Super Mario Sunshine first week sales...

- Super Mario Sunshine is the successor to Super Mario 64.
- Super Mario Galaxy is the successor to Super Mario Sunshine.

Parl

Lobster said:
On the previous page, Anihawk posted a list. 5 preorders for brawl.

I thought it was 4 ???

AniHawk said:
1. Assassin's Creed
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Rock Band
4. Super Mario Galaxy

Wii:
SSBB: 4
SMG: 25.06
REUC: 22

PSP:
God of War Chains of Olympus: 21

360:
Mass Effect: 42
Halo Wars: 22

Assassin's Creed: 87
360: 63
PS3: 23
DS: 1

GTA 4: 82
360: 56
PS3: 26

Rock Band: 48
360: 40
PS3: 8

If anyone wants specific games, just ask.

Uncharted seems like there's no pre-launch hype being generated outside of the core Sony fans.

Even on Amazon.com, for a game that's releasing very soon, it's not doing so well in the rankings. Ratchet was already in the radar two weeks from release, ranked around the 50 mark. It's probably because Ratchet is a well known franchise though.

Uncharted had some movements once the demo was out but nowhere near the frenzy seen after Bioshock.

pswii60

titiklabingapat said:
Uncharted seems like there's no pre-launch hype being generated outside of the core Sony fans.

Even on Amazon.com, for a game that's releasing very soon, it's not doing so well in the rankings. Ratchet was already in the radar two weeks from release, ranked around the 50 mark. It's probably because Ratchet is a well known franchise though.

Uncharted had some movements once the demo was out but nowhere near the frenzy seen after Bioshock.

Uncharted's biggest problem at this point is that it isn't perhaps 'hardcore' enough for a new IP at this point in the PS3's lifecycle. It doesn't have the edge that Gears had last year, with the whole sci-fi setting, the gore, chainsaw bayonet, etc.

However, perhaps Uncharted's disadantage will eventually become its major advantage. When advertising a game like this, it will have far more mainstream appeal and will likely appeal to a larger demographic. It won't sell in the quantities that Gears sold, but with both Ratchet and Uncharted, you can see PS3 appealing to more than just the sci-fi male gamer demographic.

apujanata

Moor-Angol said:
i wonder if people know Wii Fit first week sales means 2 days and not 4 days as usual...

my bet : 225k

I added your prediction (and Panther's). Noticed those three people who revised their prediction ? They revised them after some people mentioned that the game will release on Saturday, not Thursday. Some of them might not realized it, yet, and have not changed their prediction.

Prediction for Wii Fit first week sales :

Code:
Satter          : 600K.
donny2112       : 400K - 500K.
schuelma        : 400K.
xisiqomelir     : 400K.
apujanata       : 333K - 375K.
charlequin      : 326K.
Frillen         : 300K - 350K (from 400K - 500K).
riskychris      : 300K.
Phife Dawg      : 300K.
Lucky           : 252K.
tanod           : 250K (from 400K).
iidesuyo        : 240K.
justchris       : 225K.
Moor-Angol      : 225K.
Cooltrick       : 200K.
Lobster         : 180K.
PantherLotus    : 175K.
Segata Sanshiro : 170K (from 325k).
First children  : 160K
Nolan.          : 130K.
taconinja       : 100K
zombie crimes   : 70K - 100K.

ziran

I have a hard time finding any sympathy for 3rd parties really. They've brought this mess on themselves with their own arrogance and stupidity.

The decline of traditional gaming, not just in Japan, has been obvious for years now, but 3rd parties thought they could continue the more complicated, more involving, more cinematic way and consumers would return in droves. They thought they could dictate to consumers what they should play, even though it was clear the market was changing, but they were wrong. It was a completely nonsensical strategy.

Consumers want something new. DS has filled that need on the portable front and has a strong line-up of sw for most tastes, with the driving force being the Nintendo developed simple, fun, accessible titles perfect for gaming anytime, anywhere. With Wii and Wii Sports, Nintendo is using a similar strategy on the home console front, which is simple, fun, gaming that can only be done in the home, and it has so far proved growth in gaming everywhere. It's uniqueness is its similarity to DS, specific games for a specific purpose.

I think Wii Fit is being positioned as the re-launch of Wii, so to speak, with Nintendo now in a far more capable manufacturing position, producing 1.8 million per month. 3rd parties seem to be out of this potential success for the time being, and have to be content with probable losses on PS3 and Wii because their home console strategies have been so poor, but at least DS has a good chance of bringing in some decent money for them.

titiklabingapat said:

I think Uncharted could end up bombing big time.

pswii60

ziran said:
I have a hard time finding any sympathy for 3rd parties really. They've brought this mess on themselves with their own arrogance and stupidity.

The decline of traditional gaming, not just in Japan, has been obvious for years now, but 3rd parties thought they could continue the more complicated, more involving, more cinematic way and consumers would return in droves. They thought they could dictate to consumers what they should play, even though it was clear the market was changing, but they were wrong. It was a completely nonsensical strategy.

Consumers want something new. DS has filled that need on the portable front and has a strong line-up of sw for most tastes, with the driving force being the Nintendo developed simple, fun, accessible titles perfect for gaming anytime, anywhere. With Wii and Wii Sports, Nintendo is using a similar strategy on the home console front, which is simple, fun, gaming that can only be done in the home, and it has so far proved growth in gaming everywhere. It's uniqueness is its similarity to DS, specific games for a specific purpose.

I think Wii Fit is being positioned as the re-launch of Wii, so to speak, with Nintendo now in a far more capable manufacturing position, producing 1.8 million per month. 3rd parties seem to be out of this potential success for the time being, and have to be content with probable losses on PS3 and Wii because their home console strategies have been so poor, but at least DS has a good chance of bringing in some decent money for them.

I think Uncharted could end up bombing big time.

Traditional gaming is not declining outside of Japan. If anything, I would say the format war between 360 and PS3 has made many people in the West unsure and stay on the fence. With 360 being successful in the US, and many people's favourite console brand for the last two gens performing incredibly poorly, I think a lot of people have just decided to stick out and wait.

But all you need to do is look at the sales of games like Halo 3, Bioshock etc to understand that traditional gaming is most certainly not declining. And Sony are well aware of casual and social gaming, they pretty much took it to the next level with games like Eyetoy, Buzz and Singstar in Europe.

Totalriot

gamefront.de ist reporting that according to unconfirmed retailer informations 31,000 white and 5,000 black PS3 have been sold today. In addition 70,000 - 100,000 Dual Shock 3 have been sold.

More stream crossing next week?

[Nintex]

Totalriot said:
gamefront.de ist reporting that according to unconfirmed retailer informations 31,000 white and 5,000 black PS3 have been sold today. In addition 70,000 - 100,000 Dual Shock 3 have been sold.

Holy shit, perhaps this gen will be interesting after all.

Borys

Banned
Totalriot said:

Finally some action in the Sony camp. Great news indeed!

Hammer24

Banned
Totalriot said:

I just wonder why Gamefront is talking about "cautious demand", citing Nihon Keizai Shimbun. The numbers seem to be pretty nice.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Were people not expecting movement on the PS3 front? From what i've seen from the Japanese, on color change alone, they are on it like flies to shit, in looking at the GBA and DS. The goal is to sustain the momentum.

PS3 may beat the Wii this week, I'm hoping it does for the GAF drama alone :D

people will start celebrating and acting a fool then all the sudden get slapped upside the head by a Wii Balance Board

spwolf

titiklabingapat said:
Is this the first price official price drop for the PS3?

55k-70k seems likely for the week.

not really, 20 Gb and 60 GB dropped 10% few weeks earlier, but without big ad campaign.
40 GB is only 10% less than 20 Gb price, so it is not really the huge price decrease, rather new model + price reduction + games + DS3 + big ad campaign, etc, etc. Really an sum of many factors.

ziran

pswii60 said:
Traditional gaming is not declining outside of Japan. If anything, I would say the format war between 360 and PS3 has made many people in the West unsure and stay on the fence. With 360 being successful in the US, and many people's favourite console brand for the last two gens performing incredibly poorly, I think a lot of people have just decided to stick out and wait.

But all you need to do is look at the sales of games like Halo 3, Bioshock etc to understand that traditional gaming is most certainly not declining. And Sony are well aware of casual and social gaming, they pretty much took it to the next level with games like Eyetoy, Buzz and Singstar in Europe.
Traditional gaming has declined everywhere. It's not as apparent as Japan, but it's happened. While some major franchises are selling well, many are not. The old mainstays of the PS have declined everywhere, GT, MGS, Tony Hawk, Tomb Raider, etc, and new traditional games aren't taking up the slack to a sufficient degree, and many publishers are posting losses because of this.

360 has good sw sales for some titles in NA and the UK but it's obvious in mainland Europe it's having a difficult time, and PS3 is selling poor amounts of sw everywhere. Just look at the new IPs from Capcom this gen compared to last gen, LP and DR have sold half of DMC and Onimusha, this isn't good when dev costs have skyrocketed. Obviously this is because the installed base just isn't there yet for these HD systems, but that's the point, because I don't think it will ever get to the level needed for PS2 type success. People want something new.

It's going to be rough for 3rd parties this gen. They're going to be reluctant to devote major resources to Wii because of competition with Nintendo, even though it's clear they can sell decent amounts of sw on DS, and they're just not going to be getting the sales they need across the board on 360 and PS3. For every game that sells well on 360 in NA and the UK, there are going to be HD titles which lose money because as avid a buying audience as 360 has in these territories it's simply not big enough to sustain the amount of big budgeted titles in development.

Totalriot said:

A good % rise. Yep, more streams could cross which will make for an entertaining thread.

titiklabingapat said:
Is this the first price official price drop for the PS3?

55k-70k seems likely for the week.
I think these figures are just for the launch, the 11th, so the 36K figure would appear on the chart this week. Any more sales would go into next week's chart (this week's tracking).

cvxfreak

For what it's worth, the PSP almost beat the DS when its ceramic white version came out as well. Happened to be the same week as the GB micro though.

Salazar

ziran said:
Traditional gaming has declined everywhere. It's not as apparent as Japan, but it's happened. While some major franchises are selling well, many are not. The old mainstays of the PS have declined everywhere, GT, MGS, Tony Hawk, Tomb Raider, etc, and new traditional games aren't taking up the slack to a sufficient degree, and many publishers are posting losses because of this.

MGS and Tomb Raider (really) are yet to take a swing at this generation - unfair to use them as examples of declining franchises ?

wazoo

Salazar said:
MGS and Tomb Raider (really) are yet to take a swing at this generation - unfair to use them as examples of declining franchises ?

You can add GT too. It is nice that ziran can already infer GT5 sales.

ziran

Salazar said:
I'm talking about the decline from MGS2 to 3 and Tomb Raider on PS1 compared to PS2.

Traditional gaming has been declining for years in every territory while costs have been rising and Nintendo's strategy is because of this. Looking ahead, I think this decline is going to continue, certainly from the high sales publishers were getting on PS2. GTA could be another title hit. 4 is going to sell well, but I doubt it's going to come close to the ~15 million of the GTA3 installments.

wazoo said:
You can add GT too. It is nice that ziran can already infer GT5 sales.
Try actually reading what I wrote.

GT3 ~14 million (~3 million bundles) ---> GT4 6-7 million.

PS3 should be able to beat the Wii next week, but keep in mind we've yet to still how good game bumps are for the Wii, the first one for DQS could not be sustained due to shortages. Still PS3 should beat it for a week or two, since the Wii fad is over.

I don't see traditional gaming really declining outside Japan. It's more like some kind of changes or "evolution" are needed in this field for future growth. No, I don't think Wii is the answer, and it seems no developer has found the actual direction of change yet.

wazoo

ziran said:
Try actually reading what I wrote.

GT3 ~14 million (~3 million bundles) ---> GT4 6-7 million.

GT4 sold more (mainly in Europe) than GT1 and GT2 (both around 6M), GT3 was more an exception due to being an early showcase of the ps2 capabilities.

Avoiding any statistical variations, the serie has about 6-7M customer userbase, pretty constant.

quetz67

Banned
Hammer24 said:
I just wonder why Gamefront is talking about "cautious demand", citing Nihon Keizai Shimbun. The numbers seem to be pretty nice.
they probably expected more from the new hardware and price, but I think the japanese care more about games than price. I expect a larger bump with Prologue

Hammer24

Banned
quetz67 said:
they probably expected more from the new hardware and price, but I think the japanese care more about games than price. I expect a larger bump with Prologue

Probably. Prologue, WiiFit and LO will all beinteresting to watch in perspective to the bump they´ll provide to their respective hw.

kay

ziran said:
Traditional gaming has declined everywhere.

No it hasn't, there is just more options then ever before. GTA, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider etc. sales might be down but that is because there are more choices and there aren't as many hidden gems that get ignored because of more media coverage.
It's going to be rough for 3rd parties this gen.

Not it they keep releasing Carnival Games sequels.

Top Bottom