• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Souldriver said:
There was a thread like that? O-ow, I predict crow eating in the near future. :lol

yes. i can't remember exactly but "dissenters" that didn't think it was going to sell a lot got flamed.

"its mario!"

edit: wait a second...it was THIS thread. and also a little bit of last week's media create

Tiktaalik

The SMG sales are really unbelievably bad considering the quality of the title and what it probably cost Nintendo to make it. Fortunately for this last point the game will likely be a phenomenal success in NA.

Lobster

Banned
Nolan. said:
70 something thousand for Smg isn't that bad if we were talking about your average game. The only thing is why are people expecting so much from it in the Japanese holidays. I don't think people will suddenly rush out to boost the numbers.

What? Holidays is EXACTLY when people rush out to boost numbers. Look at Mario Kart! Its back! Why is it back?

Holidays!

I was wrong last week and SMG is definitely sell worse then I would have imagined..not even 100k second week.

Polari

_260473_shocked_trader150.jpg

donny2112

*Guaraná said:
Can you guys imagine how many Wii would sell if Nintendo droped the Wii price in the MH3 launch day and launched a silver Wii-Lite version? That’s what happening now wwith the PS3.

Now that's an interesting way to look at it. :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
So Galaxy has reportedly tanked. 80k in its second week is pretty bad, but does fall in line with falling expectations for mainline Nintendo titles on consoles. (SMS, WW, TP, etc).

What does it really mean?

Was Nintendo right (Japan doesn't want hardcore games)?

Or was it a self-fulfilling prophecy (They want hardcore games but not Mario, not on a casual system)?

Or is console gaming dead? (Handhelds ftmfw)?

How is this relevant to 3rd parties, and how do they respond?

Are they part of the problem?

And finally, what now? Can we draw ridiculously morbid conclusions about the entire industry because of this?

I have some answers but wanted to get everybody started while I answer the same.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:

And finally, what now? Can we draw ridiculously morbid conclusions about the entire industry because of this?

I have some answers but wanted to get everybody started while I answer the same.

I'd like to abstain until we see RE:UC's first day numbers. That will tell an awful lot IMO.

ziran said:
Yeah, the increase Wii Sports and the other sales is a positive sign for Wii hw, imo.
eh...

Wii 41000 -> 35000
Wii Sports 17000 -> 18000
Wii Play 16000 -> 15000
Ghost Squad 8300 -> 5600
Mario Party 8 6800 -> 6800

I can burst Ghost Squad bubble even more but I don't want to upset Segata or something.

Lobster

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
eh...

Wii 41000 -> 35000
Wii Play 16000 -> 15000
Ghost Squad 8300 -> 5600

I can burst Ghost Squad bubble even more but I don't want to upset Segata or something.

Is that MC numbers or Famitsu numbers though? There usually always a difference.

Ok guys heres Wii games releasing in November.

November 2007:

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom) - 15
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 22
Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire (D3 Publisher) - 22
GeGeGe no Kitarô (Bandai Namco) - 22
Devil Kings 2: Heroes (Capcom) - 29
Naruto Gekitô Ninja Taisen EX 2 (Takara Tomy) - 29
Pangya ! Golf with Style 2nd Shot (Tecmo) - 29

If anyone does the Ps3/360 one it would be cool.

I see 3 Potential sellers. Resident Evil, Mario and Sonic and Naruto. Mario and Sonic + Resident Evil im sure will do over 300k during November. Naruto will do over 100k in November. Will do good for anime games.

Im off to school cyas.

*Guaraná said:
What about FFVIII and FFIX ?
VII was more like 4 million after rereleases, but from then to XII each was a step lower than its predecessor.
Nolan. said:
The only thing is why are people expecting so much from it in the Japanese holidays. I don't think people will suddenly rush out to boost the numbers.
It's not unusual for October/November (or even earlier) games to get a boost during the holidays. Super Princess Peach sold 83K in its first 6 weeks, then an addition 60K in the next 4. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Blue sold 234K in its first 3 November weeks, but was at 570K by the end of December. Kirby Squeak Squad's weekly numbers had gone below 40K in November, but came back to have a few 90K weeks in later December.
Tiktaalik said:
Haven't we seen this pattern with nearly all the big million selling franchises in Japan? Gran Turismo follows this I think. Does DQ?
VII was a peak, VIII several hundred thousand less. Certainly there are series that have gone the other way, though, like Ruby/Sapphire to Diamond/Pearl.

ziran

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
eh...

Wii 41000 -> 35000
Wii Play 16000 -> 15000
Ghost Squad 8300 -> 5600

I edited, I really meant Wii Sports and the lack of major decline of the other titles, though it's still lower than I expected after Galaxy.

I think Wii Sports still selling well shows there's health and growth in new, casual gaming in Japan, so suggests Wii Fit could sell incredibly well, which in turn, would help Wii and cause Wii Sports to increase, and maybe (hopefully) have an affect on SMG's fortune's.

Wii needs a shot in the arm and Wii Fit could be it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It really doesn't mean much unless you frequent GAF and are able to make ridiculous conclusions about an entire industry based on one or two weeks of sales in a different country with a changing cultural outlook on gaming. However, it could be a huge sign of horrible things to come, if you believe this lot *looking around this thread*.

Uh...is Galaxy hardcore? Sorry to answer a question with a question, but is it hardcore ENOUGH? Hardcore in Japan is different than here in the US. Graphics, maybe, but monster collecting, RPGs, and obscure anime seems to define hardcore over there. Maybe this is a game that really doesn't have an audience anymore? It's not really casual like NSMB was, it doesn't really have the appeal to the Japanese hardcore like Monster Hunter or DQ does. I think perhaps we had a bit too much faith in this title.

Or was it a self-fulfilling prophecy (They want hardcore games but not Mario, not on a casual system)?
I kinda put the answer in the question, I think. Is it possible that Nintendo has simply just lost the hardcore mindshare over there? I know, more answering questions with questions, but is this a failure of marketing? A failure to "know your audience?" Or did they create the audience by all of their 'casual' posturing?

No. This is simply not a conclusion we can make in the same breath that we acknowledge that the Wii is pacing ahead of the PS2. It wants to die, and console makers want to kill it, but it's not dead. It's just a bad model for the console maker to make money, at least for the first couple years. Right? Maybe they're doing this on purpose!

How is this relevant to 3rd parties, and how do they respond? Are they part of the problem?
It's kinda relevant, but in a good way. This clears away the notion that its impossible to compete on Nintendo products. They are free to go nutzo if they want. That, and that they had better be careful what money they spend. And oh yes, they're partially to blame, but not because they made a bad business decision. But they HAVE most definitely helped create the image of casual gaming only (with the help of Nintendo, for sure).

Of course we can make ridiculous conclusions. See, this thread.

birdchili

PantherLotus said:
So Galaxy has reportedly tanked. 80k in its second week is pretty bad, but does fall in line with falling expectations for mainline Nintendo titles on consoles. (SMS, WW, TP, etc).

that console mario platformers are on the decline in japan? that handhelds are taking some of the console players? (at least currently - handhelds may be bridging the generation gap as people wait for things console to settle down a bit this gen).

also: wii demographic is not == gamecube demographic at this time, in spite of nintendo putting almost all of their hardcore effort into getting gamecube owners to migrate to wii.

PantherLotus said:
handhelds say false, right? i don't think it's hard to see that this console gen is suffering from a slower migration than the past gen, when it was evident rather early that the ps2 was going to steamroller the competition and get the sequels to all of the ps1 games everyone had.

PantherLotus said:
i'd love to know this. there's some element of self-fulfilling prophecy here, but with the current status of the ps3/360 in japan, it's hard to say anything definitive at this point. ps2 sales are certainly on the decline, and some of these people are playing on handhelds, but whether they've got plans to go console this gen, and what they'll buy...

PantherLotus said:
not dead, as evidenced by nintendo's short pick-up-and-play stuff.

the whole ps3-will-be-king mentality really threw a wrench into the third party core software transition. this, combined with ascendant handhelds, and a hard-to-target wii demographic is making console game development a big pita.

PantherLotus said:
conservative response: build ip/mindshare on ds while market watching or target "western" tastes.
brave response: innovate on wii without directly competing with nintendo.
very brave response: make something that was impossible last gen on ps3 that isn't just lots of polygons.

PantherLotus said:
the lack of compelling third party software is slowing hardware adoption (still).

PantherLotus said:
it's hard to be optimistic when something like galaxy generates such effusive praise, but can't set the market on fire. still... i think wait for 2008 before self-cutting is advisable.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I know this goes back to your "as successor to the GBA it didn't have to earn anything" argument, but DS sure turned into an RPG powerhouse for a system where through a year the biggest (only?) RPG was ~90K Naruto RPG 2.

That's a good point. I think RPGs are probably the genre that "sticks" the latest in the generation, simply because they tend to have longer dev cycles and people don't expect them to start really launching for a while after the system. At this point X360 is the undisputed next-gen RPG system, which I don't think is a crown anyone really expects them to keep -- Wii still probably has a chance to become a strong RPG system with announcements for 2008.

Moor-Angol said:
And if i am wrong, why in every videogame forum on the Net, titles as Ouendan, Shenmue, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami have a strong and good reputation, but they didn't sell so much ?

That's a pretty diverse list; I don't think they're really that alike. Ouendan was something of a sleeper hit, based on the huge sales uptick for O2. Shenmue and Okami to a lesser extent did decent sales that failed to recoup a large budget. Shadow of the Colossus is a botique title; Sony funds that team because they increase the brand's cachet more than to actually make profit directly, I think.

PantherLotus said:
3. It's still unjustified.

Everyone's been taking it on faith that Wii would repeat the DS's software performance for months. An overcorrection is gonna be necessary so that we can level out at a more reasonable median position.

Rocksteady33 said:
It's still different circumstances. Especially in Japan, as Wind Waker had a more anime look to it, and was clearly aimed at a Japanese or child like audience. Twilight Princess's art style is entirely directed towards the western market. Not to mention Wind Waker's nice preorder bonus, which probably put some some on-the-fencers over. AND the fact that when it was released, the GameCube already had a pretty solid userbase built around it (nothing great obviously, but it was more then zero that Twilight Princess had to put up.) And let us not forget the declining popularity in the series (Minish Cap anyone?)

I don't think most of this holds water. You can't write off Zelda sales due to franchise fatigue because Phantom Hourglass put up good numbers; you can't really say Twilight Princess suffered from a small userbase without also acknowledging that it should have massively benefited as a launch title. I also think the art style is a red herring (did you really intend to equate "Japanese" and "child-like" in your sentence there? :lol ) -- it might be relevant in a vacuum, but it seems like a non-factor given that Mario is continuing the trend set by Zelda.

ziran said:
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and there's no doubt Wii is lacking in AAA 3rd party content, but then again, we really don't know they didn't try.

Again, Microsoft is my comparison here. I didn't expect Wii to grab main-series exclusivity of established franchises out of the gate; I expected to see big, expensive new IPs from established developers. These are the ideal projects to pay for full development on -- the developer won't worry about hurting or muddying an existing IP, and if the title is a hit you can pull back and let said developer pay for the sequels themselves thanks to how successful they're sure to be.

PantherLotus said:
It really doesn't mean much unless you frequent GAF and are able to make ridiculous conclusions about an entire industry based on one or two weeks of sales in a different country with a changing cultural outlook on gaming. However, it could be a huge sign of horrible things to come, if you believe this lot *looking around this thread*.

:lol

In our defense, us loonies started to argue that the Wii wasn't drawing in the core-gamer audience about a month ago, and just leapt on the opportunity to use SMG to bolster our already extant argument.

No. This is simply not a conclusion we can make in the same breath that we acknowledge that the Wii is pacing ahead of the PS2.

Jokes aside, I basically agree. We could conceivably see an inversion where handhelds become the high-tie-ratio core-gamer systems while consoles are aimed at families and don't sell much software, though.

It's kinda relevant, but in a good way. This clears away the notion that its impossible to compete on Nintendo products. They are free to go nutzo if they want.

My position (which until recently was generally working out in Nintendo's favor) has always been that third parties don't actually consider good sales for Nintendo titles a problem; it's only if first party titles sell great and third parties bomb that there's a problem. Given that, I don't think saying that this news strengthens the "Wii is for casuals only" perception is wildly unreasonable.

PantherLotus said:
This is GAF.

SMG is disappointing but I hope it will have legs. This might be a bad sign for third parties though. I would hate it if they thought hardcore games did not sell well on the Wii, and it would be even worse if the next set of hardcore games sold badly. The next big Nintendo game is SSBB, and traditionally it has been a game that has long legs, so I'm not too worried about that. I'm more worried about games like No More Heroes and other third parties that are actually trying on the console. Hopefully WiiFit will help expand the userbase and the increased base will allow for higher hardcore game sales
or not.

Weisheit

I don't think most of this holds water. You can't write off Zelda sales due to franchise fatigue
How about because it's never been that big in Japan, does that hold water?

Phantom Hourglass put up good numbers I also think (talking about TP) the art style is a red herring it might be relevant in a vacuum, but it seems like a non-factor
I sorta molested your quote to make a point here. Do you see it? Also PH is on DS whose userbase trumps Wii something on the order of 16 million.

given that Mario is continuing the trend set by Zelda.
No (3D) Mario is continuing the trend set by....

Mario.

charlequin said:
Everyone's been taking it on faith that Wii would repeat the DS's software performance for months.
It's not faith that the numbers show it doing similarly so far. This will change if SMG isn't acting the part of MKDS and Wii Fit isn't acting the part of Brain Age 2.

Evlar

Banned
Weisheit said:
No (3D) Mario is continuing the trend set by....

Mario.
This is NOT the consensus expressed in the M-C thread just two weeks ago. Some of us are honest enough to recognize that. It is not meeting our expectations.

Weisheit

The Sphinx said:
This is NOT the consensus expressed in the M-C thread just two weeks ago. Some of us are honest enough to recognize that.
What consensus? I'm not saying it's sales aren't disappointing, I think there horrid, but that doesn't change the fact that it's continuing a trend, does it?

Tiktaalik

OliveJuice said:
Hopefully WiiFit will help expand the userbase and the increased base will allow for higher hardcore game sales
or not.

I think your spoiler may be right here. While I definitely think Wii Fit will be a success, I don't the expanded base will even glance at hardcore games on the Wii, if hardcore games ever appear again on the console after this SMG debacle (yes I said debacle!).

Nolan.

Weisheit said:
What consensus? I'm not saying it's sales aren't disappointing, I think there horrid, but that doesn't change the fact that it's continuing a trend, does it?

Almost everything is continuing some kind of trend, depends on what you want to see.

dionysus

Yaldog
Is there a precedent for games requiring peripherals selling wildly in Japan? I remain skeptical that Wii Fit is going to be as huge as the GAF consensus suggests it will be in Japan.

ksamedi

Tiktaalik said:
I think your spoiler may be right here. While I definitely think Wii Fit will be a success, I don't the expanded base will even glance at hardcore games on the Wii, if hardcore games ever appear again on the console after this SMG debacle (yes I said debacle!).

Did it stop DS owners from buying hardcore (real) games? I don't think so. I remember Nintendo presenting a chart where they showed what people who bought a DS for Brain Age bought afterwards. It turned out that more than 90% bought additional games and a large part bought Mario, Mario kart and Animal Crossing. Probably the reason why these games sell so well on the DS. I would bet that a game like Dragon Quest could also benefit from casuals or non-gamers because every non-gamer in Japan must have wondered what all the fuss was about.

I think that a lot of people on this thread are overestimating the importance of a hardcore audiance and underestimating the potential for casual gamers buying hardcore games. the terms hardcore or casual are not even known by a lot of people, they just play games that seem fun, whatever the game is.

Tiktaalik

ksamedi said:
Did it stop DS owners from buying hardcore (real) games? I don't think so. I remember Nintendo presenting a chart where they showed what people who bought a DS for Brain Age bought afterwards. It turned out that more than 90% bought additional games and a large part bought Mario, Mario kart and Animal Crossing. Probably the reason why these games sell so well on the DS. I would bet that a game like Dragon Quest could also benefit from casuals or non-gamers because every non-gamer in Japan must have wondered what all the fuss was about.

I think the weak sales of SMG already show that all the casual gamers that got Wii Sports are not moving on to Mario Galaxy in the same way that DS owners who bought Nintendogs moved on to New Super Mario Bros.

Nolan.

dionysus said:
Is there a precedent for games requiring peripherals selling wildly in Japan? I remain skeptical that Wii Fit is going to be as huge as the GAF consensus suggests it will be in Japan.

Iv'e always been skeptical of it personally and remain so.

Attack You said:
Oh, right. Durr. I need glasses to play games, huh. How odd.

Eyestrain from focusing on a small screen (usually via squinting) is often a warning signal that presbyopia is approaching. May as well get it out of the way and get used to wearing spectacles before you're holding your DS/Newspaper/etc. at arm's length.

ethelred said:
Fail, little Mario. Fail, fail away. It's time to bring the whoring to an end.

Funny, when you were saying it looks so amazing. :p

Prine said:
Japan in general is fucked. What a horrid place to be a gamer

Those Mario sales are fucking sad

You sure like your troll and run tactic, don't you?

Prine said:
Yeah if you own a DS... at this rate i wouldnt be surpirsed if all devs just focus on PSP and DS with all minigames on Wii (to cater to nintendos new crowd).

Cant imagine a worse scenario for gaming.

Lucky things are quite different here

Ah well. So it goes.

Weisheit said:
Oh, please do elaborate.

Edit:
You were offended by my position on Nintendo?

Might want to check out the primary meaning of "offence".

PPS: I'm glad consoles are going down the tubes. Handhelds forever!

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not faith that the numbers show it doing similarly so far.

Well, what I see so far is the overall amount of software being sold comparing well between Wii and DS, but that's not necessarily the whole story. My claim has more to do with what demographics are being hit -- something that overall sales trends obviously won't reveal. I'll see if I can put some numbers together for the coming week's thread.

ksamedi said:
I think that a lot of people on this thread are overestimating the importance of a hardcore audiance and underestimating the potential for casual gamers buying hardcore games. the terms hardcore or casual are not even known by a lot of people, they just play games that seem fun, whatever the game is.

I agree that new gamers acquired through things like BT do buy "real" software (to some degree) and do help boost the sales of such games. However, I expect that they do so at a far lower rate than people who identify as gamers; alone they're not enough to propel games to huge success.

EDIT: Which is why my stance is "get everyone in the range from casual through hardcore on board and EVERYTHING will sell better."

Polari

Basically I just see it as Nintendo paying the price for having shit software to date. The gulf between Super Mario Galaxy and everything else on the platform is obvious. Galaxy is the only first party traditional game that Japan has got that isn't warmed over from Gamecube. It arrived a year after launch. If Nintendo are still feeling confident, that confidence is misplaced as the number of mistakes they've made with the Wii is appalling and it looks like those mistakes have finally caught up with them.

Edit: No, I'm not saying I expect every game released to be of Galaxy's calibre, but it definitely demonstrates that the platform has been underutilised to date.

ksamedi

Tiktaalik said:
I think the weak sales of SMG already show that all the casual gamers that got Wii Sports are not moving on to Mario Galaxy in the same way that DS owners who bought Nintendogs moved on to New Super Mario Bros.

NSMB and SMG are really not compareble at all.

From what I can tell, a Nintendogs like game already happened on the Wii named Wiisports, now all it needs is a Brain Age like game to get things going and explode into a cultural phenomenon. The rest will come naturally. Atleast if WiiFit succeeds in that, It has potential but I don't know if people will really go for it like Brain Age. Brain Age was an amazing piece of software and it deserved to sell every copy that it did because of its addictive nature and premise. WiiFit has the same kind of premise but I don't know if it can be addictive like Brain Age.
Also, Brain Age could kind of fool you with a simple Brain Test and actually make you happy if you scored a young age (Even if the software doesn't help you at all in terms of your brain age). Its going to be harder to put that kind of appeal into WiiFit. I'm really interested in what Nintendo did with this title.

Polari said:
Basically I just see it as Nintendo paying the price for having shit software to date. The gulf between Super Mario Galaxy and everything else on the platform is obvious. Galaxy is the only first party traditional game that Japan has got that isn't warmed over from Gamecube. It arrived a year after launch. If Nintendo are still feeling confident, that confidence is misplaced as the number of mistakes they've made with the Wii is appalling and it looks like those mistakes have finally caught up with them.

Well, let's be fair here. The number of mistakes Nintendo has made (at least, adjusted for severity) is still dwarfed by the number Sony have made. (And arguably, MS has never not made a mistake in Japan.)

dionysus

Yaldog
Dragona Akehi said:
Why? Because I can actually play games on the go, instead of never having time at home to plunk myself down in front of the telly?

A nice balance in all the regions is better in my opinion. But right now its looking more and more like the games I love that come out of Japan will be mostly on handhelds. I love me some console jrpgs. But I just can't see many AAA ones coming to consoles that aren't being paid for by Sony, MS, or Ninty.

Polari

charlequin said:
Well, let's be fair here. The number of mistakes Nintendo has made (at least, adjusted for severity) is still dwarfed by the number Sony have made. (And arguably, MS has never not made a mistake in Japan.)

Well yeah, but Nintendo's profits aren't directly inverse to Sony and Microsoft's, are they?

birdchili

charlequin said:
i'm still semi-convinced that nintendo is sitting on a bunch of software and not releasing it.

and i continue to believe that any play for the non-gamecube-owning hardcore was never in nintendo's plans. they wanted/targetted new gamers, lapsed gamers, and gc migrants. it wasn't until the magnitude of sony's troubles became apparent that it was even reasonable for wii to capture some of these folk.

mepaco

Tiktaalik said:

Though I agree with the assessment that we won't see the same transition, I don't agree that the current numbers necessarily support it. The big 'casual' titles get to their large LTDs through small but steady sales over time, not necessarily big pushes. Though I have doubts that it will happen, SMG could become known as a title worth picking up with the system (even for casuals) like Wii Sports.

dionysus said:
A nice balance in all the regions is better in my opinion. But right now its looking more and more like the games I love that come out of Japan will be mostly on handhelds. I love me some console jrpgs. But I just can't see many AAA ones coming to consoles that aren't being paid for by Sony, MS, or Ninty.

What good are they if I can't play them? I still haven't completed Persona 3 or VP2 because I do not have the time. Meanwhile, I've voraciously devoured the PSP and DS lineups PLUS replayed some PSX favourites.

dionysus

Yaldog
Dragona Akehi said:
What good are they if I can't play them? I still haven't completed Persona 3 or VP2 because I do not have the time. Meanwhile, I've voraciously devoured the PSP and DS lineups PLUS replayed some PSX favourites.

I forgot that you were the only reason games are even made. :D Forgive me, Mistress.

birdchili

Dragona Akehi said:
Why? Because I can actually play games on the go, instead of never having time at home to plunk myself down in front of the telly?
for wishing ill upon *my* playstyle of choice, of course:) i live downtown, walk to work, and can easily manage playtime in front of the tv. flawless handheld victory sucks unless i develop an irrational love for 3 inch screens.

edit: long commutes are for suckers.

dionysus said:
I forgot that you were the only reason games are even made. :D Forgive me, Mistress.

It isn't just me. I find most people who game and are not secondary school students simply have no time. I think Japan is the same: hence the move to portables.

The good thing for you is that future handhelds will prolly have a similar TV out like the PSP Slim has. Next generation of handhelds should at least beat the GC. (Though watch it be the third generation in a row with "last gen graphics".)

ksamedi

Dragona Akehi said:
It isn't just me. I find most people who game and are not secondary school students simply have no time. I think Japan is the same: hence the move to portables.

The good thing for you is that future handhelds will prolly have a similar TV out like the PSP Slim has. Next generation of handhelds should at least beat the GC. (Though watch it be the third generation in a row with "last gen graphics".)

I think that has more to do with cost more than anything else. (affordeble) Handhelds will always be a step behind.

justjohn

we had this same conversation last week in the mc thread. then it was moved the other mc thread. now we're having it in this mc thread and then later on tonight when the new mc thread is made this same conversation will be started all over again. thank god for npd tommorow.

Top Bottom