• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Dec (Nintendo shows MC its Pokemans)

KeithFranklin said:
So with Wii Sports still leading the way and about the same as last week does that mean Wii sold about 80K this week. Whats that give it 450K through Dec 17.
I think in the other thread, it was reported that Wii broke 500k this week. But, we'll see tomorrow.

As for these charts, weird, but expected. The DS is wreaking havoc on everything.

Krowley

Barf_the_Mog said:
You know, Gaffers can keep telling themselves that Zelda isn't as popular in japan as it is in the West, but the fact remains that Zelda is Nintendo's most ambitious and most immersive game for the Wii. I weep for Japan.

Yeah, but zelda's sales in the rest of the world will insure that nintendo keeps on making zelda games.

It just appears that the wii buyers in japan are the DS audience at the moment (the hardcore non-gamers)... That's good for nintendo long term because eventually that leads to hardcore gamers buying it too and overall potential market dominance.

I don't know if the wii will ever catch on like the DS has though. It's just crazy how popular the DS has become.

AniHawk said:
It can be both.

Kinda like how Halo 2 is the 360's best multiplayer experience.

Wow I will have to go out and look for the Xbox 360 version of Halo 2.

Wait Anihawk...Just for you

WOW I WILL HAVE TO GO OUT AND LOOK FOR THE XBOX 360 VERSION OF HALO @%$& 2.

Krowley

Barf_the_Mog said:

.............What?

hehehe...

I decided that was the best way to describe the japanese DS audience.

They get really hardcore about their brain training and animal crossing and nintendogs... That kind of stuff.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
KeithFranklin said:

??

Xavien

Petrarca said:
This is not even fun anymore, no suspense

can we separate DS list from the rest?

Then it wouldn't be much of list then would it? 11 Titles total that are non-DS, 8 that are on Non-Nintendo consoles.

Krowley said:
Yeah, but zelda's sales in the rest of the world will insure that nintendo keeps on making zelda games.

It just appears that the wii buyers in japan are the DS audience at the moment (the hardcore non-gamers)... That's good for nintendo long term because eventually that leads to hardcore gamers buying it too and overall potential market dominance.

I don't know if the wii will ever catch on like the DS has though. It's just crazy how popular the DS has become.

I really get the idea that in Japan console gaming is fast becoming a niche thing.

Odysseus

Banned
KeithFranklin said:

Is Halo 2 not playable on 360? Ergo, it would be the 360's best multiplayer game.

duckroll said:
I don't think people understand. We're in December now, which means high sales volume. Motorstorm sold 10k, the developer even put out a PR saying how it's the "best selling PS3 game on Japanese charts" and it's not even in the top30. Blue Dragon did 17k and hardware for Xbox360 is still at 5-digits. Is this in any way bad? No. High sales volume and new titles mean that everything gets pushed downwards on charts. Even #50 on the top50 might be selling well, so it's not good to judge from ranking alone.

Really? Oh, well, when you say that way, it doesn't sound too bad! What kind of 5-digit number...10,000? :D?

Petrarca said:
This is not even fun anymore, no suspense

can we separate DS list from the rest?

1. (PS2, SCE) Wild Arms 5 - 70,476
2. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 69,923 / 318,473
3. (Wii, Pokemon) Pokemon Battle Revolution - 67,607
4. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Play
5. (PS2, Sega) Yakuza 2
6. (PS2, Bandai-Namco) Gundam SEED DESTNY Federation vs ZAFT II PLUS
7. (PS2, Konami) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 13 Ketteiban
8. (PSP, Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 Ubiquitous Evolution
9. (PSP, Idea) MAPLUS Portable Navigator
10. (PS2, Sega) Yakuza (PS2 The Best)
11. (PS2, Hudson) Momotarou Dentetsu 16

AniHawk

Cheesemeister said:
5. (PS2, Sega) Yakuza 2

Sony is taking over Japan.

I bet Nintendo didn't see this coming.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
GhaleonEB said:
Bad news if they include hardware bundles in these software charts (which I'm not convinced they do). 360 hardware sales tomorrow will tell the tale.

If it was just the software SKU on there last week, it makes sense why it would fall so far - over 40% of 360 owners bought it.
Others have already corrected you but if you check last week's chart on the Media Create website then Google translate the notes:

In addition, the new work 'blue dragon of Xbox360 (bundled edition it includes)' to sell 80,348, in 4 rank ranking in.
http://translate.google.com/transla...&u=http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

I wish they still posted the notes in English. :(

Petrarca

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
5. (PS2, Sega) Yakuza 2

yes thats much better, Sony still rules Japan :lol

So, are we looking at the very real possibility that the DS will become the premier gaming platform in Japan? Like, not premier handheld platform, but just the first one in the eyes of the consumers and maybe eventually developers. I know things are a bit unstable in Japan now with the PS3 and Wii shipments post launch, but one has to wonder.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
What's all this "omg console gaming is dead in japan" bullshit?

DSL is simply a phenomenon that struck at the end of the console cycle...a cycle that was dominated by the PS2, a pretty old machine.

We'll see how console gaming fairs once stocks of Wii/PS3 are available next year.

Odysseus

Banned
MrSardonic said:

DSL is simply a phenomenon that struck at the end of the console cycle...a cycle that was dominated by the PS2, a pretty old machine.

We'll see how console gaming fairs once stocks of Wii/PS3 are available next year.

Zelda is losing to minigames available on the same console.

Minigames, dude.

So, the only people in Japan that actually care about games and gaming are huge developer studios? Great to know. Country that was once synonymous to gaming is now killing it.

AniHawk

Odysseus said:
Zelda is losing to minigames available on the same console.

Minigames, dude.

It is in America and Europe too.

In America, Nintendo sold 475k Wii Sports and 411k Zeldas. In Europe, they sold 350k copeis of Wii Sports and 264k Zeldas.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
GoldenEye 007 said:
So, are we looking at the very real possibility that the DS will become the premier gaming platform in Japan? Like, not premier handheld platform, but just the first one in the eyes of the consumers and maybe eventually developers. I know things are a bit unstable in Japan now with the PS3 and Wii shipments post launch, but one has to wonder.

I think we're there now for 2007. DQ IX says it all. The Nintendo DS will probably remain the number one system of choice for the Japanese until at LEAST 2008.

MrSardonic said:

Even with plentiful supplies of the Wii/PS3, The DQIX bomb has yet to hit Japan yet.

Odysseus

Banned
AniHawk said:

In America, Nintendo sold 475k Wii Sports and 411k Zeldas. In Europe, they sold 350k copeis of Wii Sports and 264k Zeldas.

Can't argue with that logic.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
GoldenEye 007 said:
I thought that was confirmed when DQIX was announced?

MrSardonic said:

Wasnt Nintendo supposed to have 4 million Wii's on store shelves this year? Two weeks left in Japan and if the past 2 weeks indicate the amount for Japan that means less than 700K in Japan in 2006.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's not so much that Zelda is being outsold by Wiisports and the like, but rather it's just doing bad, PERIOD.

zankara

AniHawk said:

Maybe the general public is just not that interested in Zelda anymore...

AniHawk

KeithFranklin said:
Wasnt Nintendo supposed to have 4 million Wii's on store shelves this year? Two weeks left in Japan and if the past 2 weeks indicate the amount for Japan that means less than 700K in Japan in 2006.
Actually, there are rumors that Nintendo's holding back for the big end of the year/beginning of the year sales week. Last year they sold 500k-600k DSes in that time frame.

Clouseau

AniHawk said:
Actually, there are rumors that Nintendo's holding back for the big end of the year/beginning of the year sales week. Last year they sold 500k-600k DSes in that time frame.

Yeah kinda like they just did in the US on the last shopping weekend before xmas eve. All the stores were holding them back for last Sunday.

cvxfreak

Pokemon DP total: 220,982 / 3,886,624

I wonder if Pokemon DP can exceed 300K or 400K one of these weeks, and have legs well into 2007. That would put it above Ruby and Sapphire before long.

papercut

Ynos Yrros said:
So, the only people in Japan that actually care about games and gaming are huge developer studios? Great to know. Country that was once synonymous to gaming is now killing it.

The Japanese gaming public doesn't owe you anything. Their demand created gaming as we knew it, now their tastes have changed somewhat. Get over it.

Luckily for you the rest of the world loves its shooters and action/adventure games, so the big Japanese developers don't all have to turn to "minigame fests" and puppy simulators to make money.

zankara said:
Maybe the general public is just not that interested in Zelda anymore...

There's been about 1 game in the series per year since 1998. It's time to give the series a long, long break.
It'll never happen, though.

Top Bottom