• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

This might've been more timely last week, but since PS3 and Wii have been out a year now, here's a list of Famitsu hardware totals through 52 weeks. In millions

GBA: 4.93
Wii: 3.84
DS: 3.65
PS2: 3.45
PoS: 2.80*
GBC: 2.28*
PSP: 2.22
GCN: 1.55
PS3: 1.27
DC: 1.08
WS: 0.77*
WSC: 0.53
Xbox: 0.37
X360: 0.20
NGP: 0.14*

Separate SKUs
DSL: 8.88
GBASP: 2.88
GBM: 0.53

*These oldest of systems I have from-launch information on have 1-2 weeks of missing data each.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm surprised either. I know that the series slowed down on PSP, but it is still the second biggest franchise of Sony after Gran Turismo. So, now that PSP Slim is selling great, I expected something more then the first one, even if it was a launch title.

Yes, I was expecting sub 500k for MNG2.

Geez, this is proof of piracy totally ruining software sales for the PSP all over the world.

JoshuaJSlone said:
This might've been more timely last week, but since PS3 and Wii have been out a year now, here's a list of Famitsu hardware totals through 52 weeks. In millions

GBA: 4.93
Wii: 3.84
DS: 3.65
PS2: 3.45
PoS: 2.80*
GBC: 2.28*
PSP: 2.22
GCN: 1.55
PS3: 1.27
DC: 1.08
WS: 0.77*
WSC: 0.53
Xbox: 0.37
X360: 0.20
NGP: 0.14*

Separate SKUs
DSL: 8.88
GBASP: 2.88
GBM: 0.53

*These oldest of systems I have from-launch information on have 1-2 weeks of missing data each.

Wow, the DSL is a monster when compared with the whole list.

jarrod

Banned
Wonderdave said:
Even if we confine the discussion to your list there are more known sellers than on either Wii or X360 for 2008 in japan.
Er, hugely debatable. If we set the bar at sales of 1m+ for example, Wii immediately wins by default... hell, Wii likely wins if we set it at 500k+ too. I think you're overdoing the WKS hype a bit also, I think it'll do Blue Dragon figures at best honestly.... Sony and L5 just don't have that great a track record together.

The bigger/est (ie: potential for at least 150k+ territory, also setting the bar rather low) 2008 franchise games we know of for each are...

PlayStation 3
-Derby Stallion (Enterbrain)
-Gran Turismo 5: The Real Driving Simulator (SCEI)
-Little Big Planet (SCEI)
-Makai Senki Disgaea 3 (NIS)
-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami)
-Project Naruto (BNGI)
-Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (SEGA)
-Tekken 6 (BNGI)
-Senjou no Valkyria: The Gallian Chronicles (SEGA)
-Shirokishi Monogatari (SCEI)

Wii
-Bokujou Monogatari (MMV)
-Doubutsu no Mori (Nintendo)
-Family Ski (BNGI)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Square Enix)
-Fragile: Sayonara Tsuki no Haikyo (BNGI)
-Fushugino Dungeon: Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime (SEGA)
-Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
-Monster Hunter 3-tri (Capcom)
-Oboro Muramasa Youtoden (MMV)
-Ousama Monogatari (MMV)
-Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball (Nintendo)
-Super Smash Bros. X (Nintendo)
-Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk (BNGI)
-Wii Music Orchestra (Nintendo)

Xbox 360
-Cry-On (AQI)
-Infinite Undiscovery (Square Enix)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Operation Troy (BNGI)
-Ninja Gaiden II (Tecmo)

360/PS3 Multiplatform
-Biohazard 5 (Capcom)
-Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
-Soul Calibur 4 (BNGI)
-The Last Remnant (Square Enix)

...anything I missed?

Busaiku said:
I hadn't heard of any Wii game yet, when was it announced?
It was announced in one of those prelaunch uber lists. Same as every other machine this gen actually (DS, PSP, 360, PS3).

Koren said:
If I'm not mistaken, there was one at last TGS running on a PS3. So I guess there's one out or that will soon be (completely playable).

Nobody seemed really interested in trying the game, though.
Yeah, this was announced pre-launch too. Didn't know it was at TGS though, I though Derby Stallion DS was the only recent version in the media?

Relaxed Muscle said:
True,...but why do you choose VF?...you could say Minna no Golf or Dinasty Warriors.... lol
Oh, I just threw out VF5 because it was already in discussion. :p

apujanata

donny2112 said:
No ill will toward MNGP2, but I hope We Love Golf sells like gangbusters. I'm hoping for Mario Golf levels. It seems they've got a Wii Golf Advanced control scheme, which is probably what everyone who liked Wii Golf wants in a golf game for the Wii. Too bad they couldn't get Wii Love Golf for their title, though. That would've helped a lot with casuals, in my opinion.

I am also hoping for very good sales for We Love Golf. And I also hope for Golden Sun 3 from Camelot as "thank you reward". (I can dream, can I ?)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
apujanata said:
And I also hope for Golden Sun 3 from Camelot as "thank you reward". (I can dream, can I ?)

I'm not necessarily hoping for Golden Sun 3, but I am hoping for Camelot to make another RPG. Between the two Golden Sun games and even the RPG elements of games like Mario Tennis Power Tour, they clearly have their heads screwed on and it'd be a shame to see them not do everything they can to help with the continued development of the genre.

apujanata

jarrod said:
It's sort of strange... only Panasonic and Sharp have ever actually produced official Nintendo licensed hardware variants before. Nobody's ever produced licensed PlayStation hardware either (though I remember Toshiba was going to do a PS2 variant once upon a time) or Xbox hardware (though Microsoft wanted firms like NEC to make boxes for them) and about everybody's done a SEGA system (Samsung, Hitachi, JVC, Pioneer, Aiwa, TecToy, Majesco, Mattel, IBM, etc, etc).

Fun OT facts : Sharp are one (if not the only) company that made LCD for Game Boy products. I know this since I sell computer to Sharp Semiconductor, and their Product manager in the Opto division told me that they do export for Nintendo Japan (around Year 2000 IIRC). Nintendo is very strict with their Quality Control, and the product manager has to be extra careful when shipping products to Nintendo.

I think Sharp are still supplying Nintendo with LCD for DS Lite. IIRC, Sharp also produce touch screen, for their PDA line, that were only sold in Japan (forgot the name, probably Taurus or something like that)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm hoping Tales does well over the weekend and has legs to request new shipments over the holidays, is this shipment the lowest any main game has ever received as well? :(

I'm happy with LO's first day numbers, hope it does better during the remainder of the week as well.

P.S. No More Heroes mega bomba. :(

Lobster

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Jesus. No it didn't.

The game did well for itself. A 20k week would be a major victory for this game.

Im hoping for NMH to do a Mario and Sonic and sell better then the usual first day+50% first day=first week.

JoshuaJSlone said:
What have they made other than this and Killer 7?

Didn't he make that...whats its name...the game on Sylvias bikini?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
What have they made other than this and Killer 7?

Killer 7; Contact; Flowers, Sun, and Rain; The Silver Case; Michigan... Twilight Syndrome... He also worked on one of the Fire Pro games, but that's hardly "his".

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
[Biohazard] did really well in Japan on PS1. PS2 had Outbreaks, Gun Survivors, and the CVX/RE4 ports; none of which hit half a million.

http://geimin.net/da/06/rank_fa.php

As of the beginning of 2007:

Biohazard 4: 454,979
Biohazard 4 (PlayStation 2 The Best): 55,131
Total: 510,110

This does not take into account the 220K sales of the GC version in the same year which undoubtedly lowered the ceiling for the eventual PS2 version (and vice versa), or 2007 sales of Biohazard 4 (PlayStation 2 The Best), which actually ranked on Dengeki a few weeks ago.

Jokeropia

Pellham said:
Hardcore to me would be something like Disgaea or Shin Megami Tensei which has a very specific niche userbase only. Fire Emblem has a lot of hardcore fans but a lot of casual gamers buy the games as well. The third FE game sold 600,000 copies after all. That's not the kind of sales "as hardcore as they come" get.
If hardcore = niche and is even defined as not selling much, it's pretty much impossible for a "hardcore" game to be a big success, isn't it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cvxfreak said:
http://geimin.net/da/06/rank_fa.php

As of the beginning of 2007:

Biohazard 4: 454,979
Biohazard 4 (PlayStation 2 The Best): 55,131
Total: 510,110

This does not take into account the 220K sales of the GC version in the same year which undoubtedly lowered the ceiling for the eventual PS2 version (and vice versa), or 2007 sales of Biohazard 4 (PlayStation 2 The Best), which actually ranked on Dengeki a few weeks ago.

My fault for going off Moor's numbers which didn't merge in the The Best sales.

cvxfreak

Stumpokapow said:
My fault for going off Moor's numbers which didn't merge in the The Best sales.

No problem. I think it would be an interesting idea if Moor decided to dedicate pages for re-release versions (budget re-releases). :)

Flower, Sun, and Rain: 5.9K first week and disappeared.
Michigan: 15.2K first week and disappeared.
Killer 7 GCN: 4.5K first week and disappeared; didn't reach the 15.2K necessary to make the yearly Top 500.
Killer 7 PS2: 13.7 first week, 28.6K last we saw it in the 2005 yearly Top 500.
Contact: 6.1K first week and disappeared; didn't reach the 17.2K necessary to make the yearly Top 500.

Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked and BLOOD+ One Night Kiss I can't find in the database. Wikipedia lists a Japanese date for BLOOD+ and I don't see any Namco Bandai games for that day. It doesn't list a Japanese date for Champloo, so there's a possibility it's hiding in there under a horribly Babelfished pseudonym. It's possible neither of them charted.

Arde5643

JoshuaJSlone said:
Killer 7 GCN: 4.5K first week and disappeared; didn't reach the 15.2K necessary to make the yearly Top 500.
Contact: 6.1K first week and disappeared; didn't reach the 17.2K necessary to make the yearly Top 500.
So pretty much NMH is already looking to beat all the 1st day sales of all Grasshopper's previous games.

Certainly an improvement then. :D

Lobster

Banned
Arde5643 said:
So pretty much NMH is already looking to beat all the 1st day sales of all Grasshopper's previous games.

Certainly an improvement then. :D

NMH needs to sell 5.2k copies to be on top. Im guessing holidays helped the game..if the game was released outside of december...oh boy!

Famitsu has conducted a survey with game dealers to see which game products will be the most popular this Christmas:

1. Wii Fit (Wii)
2. Dragon Quest IV (NDS)
3. NDS Lite
4. Wii
5. Slim PSP
6. Nothing
7. Layton Kyouju to Akuma no Hako (NDS)
8. Final Fantasy IV (NDS)
9. Game Center CX (NDS)
10. Super Robot Taisen Original Generations Gaiden (PS2)

Wtf at 6. Nothing. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
JoshuaJSlone said:

Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked and BLOOD+ One Night Kiss I can't find in the database. Wikipedia lists a Japanese date for BLOOD+ and I don't see any Namco Bandai games for that day. It doesn't list a Japanese date for Champloo, so there's a possibility it's hiding in there under a horribly Babelfished pseudonym. It's possible neither of them charted.

So how is it that Suda is still making games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tanod said:

1) Fairly low budget, virtually no paid advertising,
2) Michigan, Killer7, and Contact all got overseas publication deals that did alright for him even if not for the publishers.
3) Grasshopper developed a few for-profit titles to help fund Suda's money-losers. Shining Soul for GBA was developed by Grasshopper for SEGA.
4) Grasshopper also does sound design and music for other companies; mostly shovelware, Simple2000 stuff, etc.

GamerWiki has Grasshopper as founded with only 10million yen capital, which is about 100k dollars. So obviously there's been investment since then or the combination of the four previously mentioned factors have been enough to keep the company going. He's got 40 employees or something working for him (GamerWiki says 30 but that's outdated.)

Arde5643 said:
Maybe the publishers love him as much as we do or more.

Unlike the movie industry, video game publishers don't fund loss leaders for critical acclaim--which, by the way, Suda doesn't get a lot of from the vast majority of media. They fund loss leaders for research, but Grasshopper as such shoddy programmers that I highly doubt there's most salvageable tech from any of Suda's stuff.

tanod

when is my burrito
justchris said:
Better than average budget control? I mean, you can't claim that his games are super high budget affairs.

I wouldn't know. Despite having a pretty good handle on a lot of developer names, I've never heard of the guy before I was on GAF.

D.Lo

tanod said:
Extremely low budgets. He did a talk at a conference in Australia that I covered (and I spoke to him at the conference and at a cafe, translated by Tetsuya Mizuguchi!). Right from the start the games have been made on shoestrings, he spoke about creating a 'window' system for his early adventure games so visuals would be lower res and save money. Killer 7 was magnificent use of an extremely small budget and limited tech, but most of his other games are pretty 'b-grade' - as in they look like budget titles.

Lobster

Banned
jasonbay said:
So how much a impact is everything predicting with GT5 Prologue? cross streams again? or just another 40k week?

Im thinking not much. It will be a 50k week because of holiday bump.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Well in the case of XTS...,if a get 2 points in an exam and a 2.5 points in the next try I wouldn´t call that a milestone of nothing.

Maybe 800k - 900k is better that 500k but is still depressing and ridiculous for a console in Japan,even more depressing if you think how hard MS tried to get that Japanese audience...

That's not how business works though, every years targets are based on the performance of the company the previous year/cycle, not against some unrealistic measure of your competitors.

Maybe the Xbox brand can never be big in Japan, but it is gaining mindshare amongst what appears to be an ever decreasing hardcore gaming market in japan. Casuals only buy one console, and that is never going to be a 360.

cvxfreak

Went to Bic Camera in Ikebukuro, Tokyo today and boy was it busy. Tons of various games were being bought, notably Dragon Quest IV, Wii Fit and
not Super Mario Galaxy

Busaiku

cvxfreak said:
Went to Bic Camera in Ikebukuro, Tokyo today and boy was it busy. Tons of various games were being bought, notably Dragon Quest IV, Wii Fit and
not Super Mario Galaxy
:*(
Great for DQ though.

gimz

JoshuaJSlone said:

omg, i cant believe this, how can the company survive with the sales of their games?

Kyoufu

Defuser said:
Anyway,wouldn't be hard to keep track of GT5:p for next week since it's a retail and a PSN title?

Yup.

I think most of bumpalogue consumers would go to the store to buy this.

Jokeropia said:
If hardcore = niche and is even defined as not selling much, it's pretty much impossible for a "hardcore" game to be a big success, isn't it?

Yes and thats because his definition of a hardcore game is very poor.

Lobster

Banned
Isn't NiGHTS being released next week? Same day as We Love Golf?

Im positive NiGHTS will do over 60k first week.

Lobster

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Add Chocobo and Soul Calibur Legends to that.

Yeah, 3rd party collective suicide.

You forget that Soul Calibur Legends has Loyd. That should be an instant 10k sales lol.

Chobo is part of the Mystery Dungeon series isn't it? That series is popular in Japan. I think that will do over 100k first week.

@Mithos Yggdrasill

NiGHTS,Chocobo and We Love Golf aren't in next weeks data are they? They release 1 day before the charts..so I doubt it..

Next weeks data will have a lot of bombs but the week after that...nah I don't think so.

Top Bottom