• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

tehbear

Xeke said:
People are going to bitch about crappy Wii 3rd parties sales and they'll bitch if the games that we know will sell well end up on the Wii. How can it win?

Well Capcom answered your call. Monster Hunter 3's success/failure will be telling I am sure.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
Well when I see a mainline FF, GTA or MGS on the Wii I'll give it the position of the heir but how can people hold it to higher standards when it isn't seeing any of the same games...

I'm pretty curious on how the game developers will do it on Wii when it comes to their biggest games. Capcom is taking a chance with Monster Hunter 3, but will the rest follow? Can the developers be scared away (or what i shall say) to put their biggest games on Wii based on the relatively low preformance (with a few expections of course) of their other game ?

Pantherlotus: ey, take it easy with the name calling :p

Sharp

Third party Wii sales do suck, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. But I can forget all that in an instant and forgive Japan because of the SMG sales! I love you SMG!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
yankeeforever2 said:
So is there a Vink's update this thread, can't seem to find it?

I believe he is back in the States for Christmas.

Durante said:
This (or variations thereof) is said 3 times a day at GAF. It's simply not true. Yes, if your game has a higher budget you need to sell more copies. But being on PS360 does not automatically mean that you need a higher budget. Easy example: Disgaea 3.

In fact, on a more powerful platform you can make the same game with less effort (budget), or a nicer looking game with the same budget.

That's false. Wii development kits are also cheaper, so even making the same looking game, it will still cost less to make on the Wii.

Fredescu

ComputerNerd said:
That's false. Wii development kits are also cheaper, so even making the same looking game, it will still cost less to make on the Wii.
The non standard controller means you have to spend more time on controls if you want to make good use of the Wii. If third parties are budgeting their games thinking they can hack dollars off their graphics budget without adding anything to figuring out a good control scheme, they'll just keep releasing dross. Dewy should have been much better, but they screwed up the damned controls.

Vinnk

yankeeforever2 said:
So is there a Vink's update this thread, can't seem to find it?

Sorry. I am in the United States right now. Couldn't really say much about what's going on in Japan. SHould be back in time for next week's numbers though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Vinnk said:
Sorry. I am in the United States right now. Couldn't really say much about what's going on in Japan. SHould be back in time for next week's numbers though.
You totally need to do a "Vinnk's Village: US Edition."

liuelson

moku said:
Microsofts model of embracing, and assisting third-parties was born out of necessity, not becuase they just love those third parties. They couldnt, and still couldnt survive on just first-party games.

Similarly, Nintendo's Wii strategy was born out of necessity. The hardware was designed and priced to be profitable from the outset, and Nintendo pursued an aggressive 1st year, 1st party software release schedule (compared to GC 1st year) because they did not have, and could not afford to count on, 3rd party support.

The runaway success of the Wii caught everyone by surprise - including Nintendo.

Keep in mind that Nintendo still cannot keep up with hardware demand worldwide. And in Japan, Nintendo's own 1st party software (Wii Fit) is driving hardware sales through the roof. Why does Nintendo need 3rd party software to increase the attractiveness of the Wii platform right now?

Wait until after Wii Fit, Mario Kart, and SSMB have all been released and hardware sales have leveled off; then, maybe, Nintendo will start pursuing 3rd party support a little more vigorously (assuming they don't have another Wii-Fit-like surprise up their sleeves). Until then, it's up to those 3rd party publishers to jump on the bullet train. If they do, good for them (and for us as gamers). If they don't, Nintendo will lose neither much sleep nor much money.

Top Bottom