• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

Natsume

XiaNaphryz said:
It shouldn't be too hard to look for NPD data to see how PS3 is tracking compared to GC in NA, no?

6nrsina.png

I made this a while ago from NPD data I had (lost it in a PC wipe (I think or it might just be lurking in some god forsaken place in my hard drive)). I made it with the purpose of showing how the first year or so can not really mean much in the scope of things. ie. Just look at Xbox vs Xbox 360; PS2 vs PSP and Gamecube vs DS. I'm 99% certain the data is correct but if it isn't someone is free to prove me wrong.

donny2112

toxk_02 said:
Is there any data/charts on total PSP software YTD or LTD compared to any other systems? I recall a tremendously long annual wrap-up of software sales from Famitsu or some similar source.

The Top 100 is released in January. The Top 500 is released in August, for a price. I did a YTD from the Famitsu Top 30s a couple of weeks ago. For current totals, JoshuaJSlone's site is a very good publicly available source, but I don't know what page would have what you want.

On that subject...

JoshuaJSlone,
Could you add the table names and descriptions (e.g. desc software_properties, or whatever the table names are) to the SQL page? It would help in writing up SQL to link others to for totals like this. :)

sphinx

the piano man
Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't know, it just seems to me that they spent more money on FFIV than FFIII (but maybe not because the engine was already developed), so if it sells less, I don't think they'll be entirely happy with that. At the very least things like VAs would be at risk of not being included next time.

Nevertheless, this is only day one, and I have a feeling this game won't suffer quite so much from the Nancy Kerrigan-esque kneecapping that FFIII got from its stock troubles. I'm hopeful it can beat FFIII.

I am sure they are not happy but business is a cold matter. If you won 200 bucks instead of 600 bucks, you still win and that's what has got to be considered. Happiness or disappointment or any other feeling for that matter should not got in the way of cold, calculated business decisions. If a game brings profit, then related products should receive green light, without much further sentiments put into it.

of couse, they have to be able to analyze/predict the outcome and avoid overshipping, price collapses, market saturation, high/low season sales considerations, etc. They have to play their cards correctly to make these succesful ports. Maybe december wasn't the best choice for release as well.

Wow. Tons of PSPs sold again, very few PSP games. Is it just me, or does anyone think that the PSP has done wonders for the Memory Stick market?

sphinx said:
I am sure they are not happy but business is a cold matter. If you won 200 bucks instead of 600 bucks, you still win and that's what has got to be considered. Happiness or disappointment or any other feeling for that matter should not got in the way of cold, calculated business decisions. If a game brings profit, then related products should receive green light, without much further sentiments put into it.

of couse, they have to be able to analyze/predict the outcome and avoid overshipping, price collapses, market saturation, high/low season sales considerations, etc. They have to play their cards correctly to make these succesful ports. Maybe december wasn't the best choice for release as well.
Forgive me, I wasn't trying to ascribe that type of mental state to them. More that when a company sees diminishing returns on something like a series of remakes, they will be less and less likely to spend as much on the next one (so that profits are maximized). It could conceivably get to a point where they decide the next remake isn't worth the return on investment if the profits are too meager.

These FF remakes are probably the most costly DS projects around, after all.

CrisKre

I don't know, it just seems to me that they spent more money on FFIV than FFIII (but maybe not because the engine was already developed), so if it sells less, I don't think they'll be entirely happy with that. At the very least things like VAs would be at risk of not being included next time.

Nevertheless, this is only day one, and I have a feeling this game won't suffer quite so much from the Nancy Kerrigan-esque kneecapping that FFIII got from its stock troubles. I'm hopeful it can beat FFIII.

I think that is entirely not the case. The engine was already built for FFIII. Im sure IV was a far cheaper affair. All things taken into consideration they should be REALLY happy with this selling 500k IMO (and im sure it will surpass that).

Segata Sanshiro said:

I don't see why FFIV would sell on Par with its predecessor. Shy of something really new and unique, diminishing returns are almost guaranteed.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I don't see why FFIV would sell on Par with its predecessor. Shy of something really new and unique, diminishing returns are almost guaranteed.
FFIV is by far a more popular installment in the series, and they've added a lot more in terms of production values, plus I imagine they're hoping sales won't be clubbed to death by a crippling cartridge shortage. Why wouldn't they expect to sell at least on par, if not better?

To pose the question another way, which would you expect to sell better, a remake of FFII or a remake of FFVII?

MrSardonic said:
Next week:

DS LTD (week 159, ~ 3 years) will exceed the PS2 LTD (week 406, ~7.8 years).

At the end of its 3rd year, DSL median weekly sales will be ~130k while PS2 median weekly sales were ~64k.

Essentially, the DSL has exceeded the PS2 LTD in two-fifths of the time and at this point in the life-cycle it is selling roughly twice as many units per week as the PS2 was. However, the DSL YTD for 2007 is going to be ~ 1.25m - 1.5m down on last year...but perhaps the huge sales in the US/EU will result in a net increase in worldwide DSL sales compared to 2006.

According to my numbers, DS numbers in the US should have no problems compensating and offsetting the downward trend in DS sales in Japan.

If DS manages to sell 2.0 million in the US in December (and there's no reason why it shouldn't do that many - this is a very conservative estimate), the DS sales for 2007 will exceed the DS sales for 2006 by approximately 2.6 million, which will more than offset the 1.5 million loss from 2006 to 2007 in Japan.

sphinx

the piano man
Segata Sanshiro said:
To pose the question another way, which would you expect to sell better, a remake of FFII or a remake of FFVII?

the difference in popularity between III and IV is not as big as II and VII.

I see your point but I think SE couldn't have expect the same performance of FFIII because, like some have already said, it was the first time in 20 years the game had been remade. Not long ago people played FFIV on their gameboys. If anything, the gameboy ports either shouldn't have existed or should have been released 2 or 3 years earlier in the GBA's life. They will absolutely play against any possible FF V, VI DS ports in regards to sales. Specially if you consider that the GBA ports ( At least IV, the one I played) were just o.k, sometimes falling into "meh" category. That will surely lessen the impact of DS remakes, no matter how great they turn out to be.

Square-Enix should have known this and not have expected FFIII levels of performance, as a result.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Segata Sanshiro said:
FFIV is by far a more popular installment in the series, and they've added a lot more in terms of production values, plus I imagine they're hoping sales won't be clubbed to death by a crippling cartridge shortage. Why wouldn't they expect to sell at least on par, if not better?

I wouldn't really compare FF3 to FF7, if I were you ... FF4 ain't no FF2 either!!! :p

There are many factors that can go into their expectations, more than just the name of the title. If it true that their initial shipment wasn't as big for FF4, then it is probable that they didn't expect to sell more to begin with.

It could also be that FF3 surpassed their expectations by so much that diminishing returns mean nothing to them.

Personally, I think any of this talk is premature at the moment. We only know 1st day numbers. This is the DS at the start of the holiday rush ... none of us know what it will sell.
I just don't any of your clowns jinxing my FF6 remake!

CorwinB

bmf said:
Wow. Tons of PSPs sold again, very few PSP games. Is it just me, or does anyone think that the PSP has done wonders for the Memory Stick market?

I know I just bought a brand new PSP Slim, and a 4GB Memory Stick.
And 4 games

jgwhiteus

On the FFIV remake numbers - does anyone have a sense of how the other bajillion FF remakes and re-releases have done? I mean, FF1 & 2 on Wonderswan/GBA/PSP/PS1, FFIV Advance, etc. Did any of them ever hit a million, or was FFIII the first?

In that case, FFIII might be the exception rather than the norm, and we shouldn't expect huge numbers (by Square-Enix standards) for any of these remakes. Even the DQIV remake will probably just hit a million, and I thought DQ was a lot more popular than FF in Japan (and that FFIV wasn't as big a seller in its original release vs. FFVI, and nowhere near FFVII, etc.)

I doubt Square-Enix would be "disappointed" with FFIV's numbers - even if the budget was higher than their other FF games and it sells less than FFIII, they'll no doubt get a return on their investment several times over. Fear for new IPs; never fear for the likelihood of another remake from Square-Enix.

Busaiku

jgwhiteus said:
On the FFIV remake numbers - does anyone have a sense of how the other bajillion FF remakes and re-releases have done? I mean, FF1 & 2 on Wonderswan/GBA/PSP/PS1, FFIV Advance, etc. Did any of them ever hit a million, or was FFIII the first?
I'm not 100% (don't have numbers for Collection or Origins), but I do think Final Fantasy III is the first time a Final Fantasy port or remake hit 1 million. Though, I'm not sure really.

perfectchaos007 said:
How can the Wii catch up to PSP sales if the PSP keeps outselling the Wii?
Mr. Takeda, prepare your calculations for time warp.
Lobster said:
I don't get why developers and publishers bother with a Wii release when they're releasing it on Ps2 aswell..
Because 21K > 17K.
toxk_02 said:
Is there any data/charts on total PSP software YTD or LTD compared to any other systems? I recall a tremendously long annual wrap-up of software sales from Famitsu or some similar source.
Here are PSP software sales to date, using Famitsu's weekly Top 30, yearly Top 500, and other such things. Change the PSP in the URL to another system to see what they were like at the same point, though obviously that's pretty useless with much younger PS3 and Wii.
donny2112 said:
JoshuaJSlone,
Could you add the table names and descriptions (e.g. desc software_properties, or whatever the table names are) to the SQL page? It would help in writing up SQL to link others to for totals like this. :)
A good idea. I'll see what I can do without making it look too cluttered; maybe just link to a second page with that information.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Forgive me, I wasn't trying to ascribe that type of mental state to them. More that when a company sees diminishing returns on something like a series of remakes, they will be less and less likely to spend as much on the next one (so that profits are maximized). It could conceivably get to a point where they decide the next remake isn't worth the return on investment if the profits are too meager.

These FF remakes are probably the most costly DS projects around, after all.
Well, the FF series in general has seen diminishing returns. VII through XII, each less than the last. Tactics, down to Advance, down to A2.

Though the Game Boy Advance ports/remakes don't quite follow that trend. As far as I can tell, the latest numbers for I-VI are
I&II: 271K
IV: 219K
V: 243K
VI: 223K

Interesting that IV appears to have been the least successful of them, though, especially since V and VI released a year later and not even two months apart.
davepoobond said:
so who thinks PSP will become > GBA?
Not me. It's not even halfway there yet, so it seems a bit less likely than DS hitting 40 million.

Even with these giant PSP numbers, it's still well below GBA's best holiday season. I've done some PS3/GCN and PS2/Wii holiday comparisons before, so here's an equivalent for GBA/PSP.

GBA's early years vs PSP's 2007: late October through early January, weekly
GBA's early years vs PSP's 2007: late October through early January, cumulative

donny2112

davepoobond said:
so who thinks PSP will become > GBA?

Not me.

jgwhiteus said:

The highest one I have after NDS FFIII is PS1 Final Fantasy Collection at 412K and then WS Final Fantasy at 377K. No others got above 300K according to my numbers.

botticus

Segata Sanshiro said:

What exactly is the source of this perception? Honest question. Looking up shipment numbers, FFIII (FC) shipped 1.4 million, while FFIV (SFC) shipped 1.44 million. Obviously FFIV has been ported/rereleased since then, but the sales of the first runs couldn't have differed much.

mj1108

bmf said:

Which is exactly why you won't see Sony put any form of storage on the unit. They're making bank on memory sticks and they don't want to ruin the cash flow.

Jokeropia

JoshuaJSlone said:
Here are PSP software sales to date, using Famitsu's weekly Top 30, yearly Top 500, and other such things. Change the PSP in the URL to another system to see what they were like at the same point, though obviously that's pretty useless with much younger PS3 and Wii.
How difficult would it be to add a "Total software sales" at the bottom? I'd like to see when we can expect Wii to exceed PSP in that respect. (By Dalthien's topics it seems to be about 2/3 of the way there.)

Segata Sanshiro said:

That's quite disingenuous. FFVII is popular enough to be a series unto itself, it can't be held to the same standard that FF 3 or 4 will be.

Let's not also forget that this is a remade title, so it's not going to follow the traditional beginning, growth, maturation, decline series that a new popular IP would. We would have to assume that there are people who are satisfied with just FFIII that don't care to bother with IV, not that this series has a growth cycle that will ultimately cap. This is why i stated that FFIV isn't doing anything so dramatically new or different that would differentiate it from III enough to warrant a purchase.

Alright, I concede. It's a good thing that FFIV is doing worse than FFIII. Square shall surely attack FFVr with renewed vigor upon seeing this news.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Interesting that IV appears to have been the least successful of them, though, especially since V and VI released a year later and not even two months apart.

The FFIV port was considered a mediocre job...easily the worst of the GBA remakes

Segata Sanshiro said:
Alright, I concede. It's a good thing that FFIV is doing worse than FFIII. Square shall surely attack FFVr with renewed vigor upon seeing this news.

Stop being stupid. All i'm (we're?) saying is that diminishing returns on these FF titles isn't as much of a mystery as it's being made out to be.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Stop being stupid. All i'm (we're?) saying is that diminishing returns on these FF titles isn't as much of a mystery as it's being made out to be.

FF III DS also didnt have anywhere near the competition FF IV had in the RPG market

DeaconKnowledge said:
No, I'll be as stupid as I like. This whole thing started out of me getting clubbed to death for saying FFIV opened worse than FFIII and that Square likely wouldn't be happy about that.

Is FFIV not a more impressive production than FFIII? Do you think that SE did that on the hope that it would sell lower numbers than FFIII? How much bigger is the install base this year?

But whatever, I'm done. Enjoy the MC thread, some weeks it's just not worth posting in 'em.

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, I'll be as stupid as I like. This whole thing started out of me getting clubbed to death for saying FFIV opened worse than FFIII and that Square likely wouldn't be happy about that.

Is FFIV not a more impressive production than FFIII? Do you think that SE did that on the hope that it would sell lower numbers than FFIII? How much bigger is the install base this year?

But whatever, I'm done. Enjoy the MC thread, some weeks it's just not worth posting in 'em.

My question is why would SE release a remake of DQIV so close to a remake of FFIV?

Segata Sanshiro said:

God forbid you be challenged on something Segata.

And you of all people should know that "impressive production" does not always translate into increased sales, just as shovelware can go on to sell into the stratosphere. There were many extenuating factors here, like increased competition, advertising, a prequel that only came out a year prior, and the oversaturation of FF to begin with.

sphinx

the piano man
Segata Sanshiro said:

On my part at least, nothing I said was meant for you to take it personal. I thought we were having a healthy discussion here, didn't think it was pissing you off.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
My question is why would SE release a remake of DQIV so close to a remake of FFIV?

Mo remakes = mo money - Square logic

I cant wait until next year when we'll maybe have 2 KHs, 2 DQs, and probably more FF...

Challenging me is fine, Deacon, but we aren't even talking about the same thing. You're listing reasons why it's doing worse. I'm saying that I doubt Square expected it to do worse when they greenlit the project of being of the magnitude it is.

I can think of a million excuses for why any given product underperforms, but what I was originally saying was an observation (that I wasn't even the only one to make!) about the facts of the matter and that I doubt Square's happy about it, as well as expressing my concern (as a fan and buyer of these titles) that it might cause them to cut back on future installments.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Challenging me is fine, Deacon, but we aren't even talking about the same thing. You're listing reasons why it's doing worse. I'm saying that I doubt Square expected it to do worse when they greenlit the project of being of the magnitude it is.

I can think of a million excuses for why any given product underperforms, but what I was originally saying was an observation (that I wasn't even the only one to make!) about the facts of the matter and that I doubt Square's happy about it, as well as expressing my concern (as a fan and buyer of these titles) that it might cause them to cut back on future installments.

I responded your quoting of me with what I thought was relevant Segata.

apujanata

HK-47 said:
Mo remakes = mo money - Square logic

I cant wait until next year when we'll maybe have 2 KHs, 2 DQs, and probably more FF...

I don't DQ sales will suffer (with DQ9 just around the corner). Either FF sales or KH sales should be lower than expected (there are only so much games a Square Enix fans can buy in a year, and I believe there a lot of Enix fans that are also Square fans, at least in the last few years since they merged).

Jokeropia said:
How difficult would it be to add a "Total software sales" at the bottom? I'd like to see when we can expect Wii to exceed PSP in that respect. (By Dalthien's topics it seems to be about 2/3 of the way there.)
Easy as cake. It's one of the things I'd already considered adding in. I think my main concern was that at times when lots of new data came in all at once (Top 500 at the end of a year), it would make it appear that there was a huge single-week gain. However, it already looks like that from an individual software point of view, so showing the sum wouldn't really make that worse.

Aaaaand it's under the table.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The install base probably saw about the same increase as PS1 between FF VII and IX, or PS2 between X and XII.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Isn't it pretty common in games and movies for sequels to be less successful? Yet they still frequently spend more making them, because they're still more of a sure thing than something with unknown sales potential.

apujanata

jeremy_ricci said:
I'm confused.

How is PS3 doubling it's sales from what, 30K to nearly 60K (a little under?) bad?

Sure, it's not hundreds of thousands of units, but it's Japan, and right now, they are playing mostly handhelds.

Seriously, as long as it can hold onto a nice second place, everything is fine. Once it falls below the 360, then things are 'bad'.

I thought everyone agreed that X360 in Japan is not "bad", but it is "dead" ?
And "bad" is the right word for PS3 right now , since "bad" is better compared to "dead" ?

And PS3 is doing bad since it is only 37% of Wii's sales, and PS3 increase is only 65%, while Wii increase is 48% (and since Wii have higher absolute #, it is more difficult to have a good % increase)
Code:
3. WII   -   170,558 |   115,057 | 3,311,401 |  4,231,044
4. PS3   -    63,720 |    38,123 | 1,073,245 |  1,530,803

Jokeropia

JoshuaJSlone said:
Easy as cake. It's one of the things I'd already considered adding in. I think my main concern was that at times when lots of new data came in all at once (Top 500 at the end of a year), it would make it appear that there was a huge single-week gain. However, it already looks like that from an individual software point of view, so showing the sum wouldn't really make that worse.

Aaaaand it's under the table.
Perfect.

I don't think Square are unhappy about FFIV not selling like as FFIII did. It's the 2nd release of this game within 5 years or so, remake or not.

Chances are that they'll clear the 400k shipment within a couple of weeks without any price crashing.

apujanata

IIRC, several weeks ago, someone (maybe Vinnk ??) mentioned that Super Mario Galaxy has a price discount (not price collapse, but around 20-30% discount), to help clear the overabundant stock.

To those who live in Japan : Is this (20-30% price discount) still happen, or did retailer drop the discount when new year is approaching (and SMG sales picked up) ? Just wanted to know whether the good legs of SMG is influenced by price discount or not.

botticus

Mr. Pointy said:
I don't think Square are unhappy about FFIV not selling like as FFIII did. It's the 2nd release of this game within 5 years or so, remake or not.

Chances are that they'll clear the 400k shipment within a couple of weeks without any price crashing.
I don't doubt that Square might be unhappy with the performance, but that doesn't mean they're cancelling all their future remakes to focus on... uh, what, exactly?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
apujanata said:
IIRC, several weeks ago, someone (maybe Vinnk ??) mentioned that Super Mario Galaxy has a price discount (not price collapse, but around 20-30% discount), to help clear the overabundant stock.

To those who live in Japan : Is this (20-30% price discount) still happen, or did retailer drop the discount when new year is approaching (and SMG sales picked up) ? Just wanted to know whether the good legs of SMG is influenced by price discount or not.

To the best of my knowledge that was only at one retailer.

donny2112

Hey, let's look at how past Final Fantasy IV re-releases did, just for kicks and giggles!

Code:
PS1 Final Fantasy IV           261,086  (19971228)
GBA Final Fantasy IV Advance   219,391  (20061231)
WS  Final Fantasy IV            30,434  (20020414)

The highest opening week was the PS1 game at 119K. It came out about 1.5 months after Final Fantasy VII.

Two things to note here:
1) There are three Final Fantasy IV re-releases since late 1996 in my numbers.
2) Two of the three were on popular systems and sold less than 300K.

Now let's look at everyone's favorite comparison game for FFIVDS, FFIIIDS.

Code:
NDS Final Fantasy III  502K .. 52K .. 53K ... 1 million (20070701)

Few things to note here:
1) I still feel that FFIIIDS could've sold close to a million in the month before Pokemon's release if the stock had been there. As it was, it hit 772K the week of Pokemon's release.
2) There are no previous re-releases.

Now we have FFIVDS. 180K first day on a shipment of 400K for a probable ~350K first week in what is typically the largest hardware sales week of the year.

* Compared to the previous FFIV re-releases, it is doing astounding.
* Compared to FFIIIDS, its sales are depressed but is still having a strong release.
* Based on the reported first week shipment, it will be a near sell-out.

We did not get a Famitsu chart for the week ending 20071224 to directly compare to last year's numbers, but we can look at the combined chart for the two week period. Here's the Top 5 from that chart.

Famitsu Dec 18-31, 2006

1. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 633084 / NEW
2. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 554245 / 4302815
3. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 265493 / 3818214
4. WII Wii Sports 238640 / 553214
5. PS2 Seiken Densetsu 4 229524 / NEW

The assumed first week for FFIVDS would've already put it at third in last year's chart, and it's not out of the realm of possibility, if there's stock, for it to approach DQM:Joker's numbers for the period (though that game only had one week of sales in the two-week period).

In short, FFIVDS's first day numbers are good. Not as good as FFIIIDS and, thus, not as good as Segata Sanshiro thinks Square-Enix would've liked, but good nonetheless.

apujanata said:
And PS3 is doing bad since it is only 37% of Wii's sales, and PS3 increase is only 65%, while Wii increase is 48% (and since Wii have higher absolute #, it is more difficult to have a good % increase)

I don't completely disagree with your overall assesment of the consoles, but that last sentence is just ridiculous...

donny2112 said:
The assumed first week for FFIVDS would've already put it at third in last year's chart, and it's not out of the realm of possibility, if there's stock, for it to approach DQM:Joker's numbers for the period. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker has sold 1.4 million.
We can't tell what most games sold in each week due to the two weeks being combined. However, DQM Joker wasn't released until the second week, so we know that's one week of sales for it.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
We can't tell what most games sold in each week due to the two weeks being combined. However, DQM Joker wasn't released until the second week, so we know that's one week of sales for it.

I hadn't intended to say it could sell as well as DQM:Joker, but I see how it could be interpreted that way. I've (hopefully) clarified it some more, now.

Top Bottom