• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/24 - 12/30 2007

sphinx

the piano man
dolemite said:
This is just unreal. Cartoonish fun >>>> realistic graphics

I don't think it has to do with the looks.

is more like ease of use>>> complex gameplay

Maro Kart is the simplest and most primitive racing concept ever. GT, like Forza, is for very hardcore driving simulation fans.

sales make sense, not unreal at all.

Sharp

sphinx said:
I don't think it has to do with the looks.

is more like ease of use>>> complex gameplay

Maro Kart is the simplest and most primitive racing concept ever. GT, like Forza, is for very hardcore driving simulation fans.

sales make sense, not unreal at all.
Or maybe it's that the DS has more than ten times the install base of the PS3, and you're comparing its flagship kart racing franchise to a demo.

Lightning

Banned
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is over priced, that's the problem with it's sales. If Sony were being realistic about this game selling they would have launched it at half the price. The price is outrageous.

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 57.6 / 42.4, bringing total shares to 73.6 / 26.4. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 84.1 weeks (August 10, 2009).

PS3 sv Wii: Weekly shares of 25.7 / 74.3, bringing total shares to 26.2 / 73.8. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this ewek's rate, it would catch up in 56.4 weeks (January 29, 2009).

At the end of the year, total hardware sales passed 16 million, besting last year by about 2.5 million.

Nintendo doesn't quite make 11 million hardware sales for the year, coming to 10.93 million by MC's count. This bests last year by about 1.2 million.

Sony just makes 5 million hardware sales. This may or may not be a new record; I've read PS1 alone got somewhere near that in 1997, but I don't have data going back that far.

Microsoft (well, X360) passes 240K, another new record.

BishopLamont said:
Weird, previous years show the last week of December being the biggest up until the DS got popular it seems the first week of January is now the biggest.
The problem with that is, we don't have very good year end/beginning data for many years prior to DS. Media Create was only around for 2002 and 2003, and I only have the 2003 data up on my site. Famitsu always ends up combining a couple weeks at the end of the year, which makes it hard to see the "bump, dip, rebump" pattern as we now do.
Nutter said:
I fully expect the PS3 to outsell the GC in Japan.
I think so, too...
Probably something in the range of 7 to 9 million when all said and done.
...but doubling it? Doesn't seem likely yet.
ksamedi said:
Why do you think that? Is it because its too big of a project?
I don't know which way ethelred is looking at things, but 4 full-fledged numbered FFs on one system would be abnormal to begin with. There's also that two remakes down the road could put a potential FF VI remake in 2010 or later, when such a project might make more sense on DS2 or Wii or whatever the latest industry hotness is.

Vinnk

Stumpokapow said:
There's not a single person who knows a damn thing about sales that lauded it from a sales perspective.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I just checked S and M predictions (Enterbrain analysts)

GT5P - ?: 800,000 - 1,000,000 K: 300,000

Someone was WAY off.

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is over priced, that's the problem with it's sales. If Sony were being realistic about this game selling they would have launched it at half the price. The price is outrageous.
It's a demo - it should be free.

Jonnyram said:
Is polyphony still planning on selling cars in that game through micro transactions? If so then that means it was $40 for the demo, $60 for the real game, and $1.00 for every car you want to drive in that game. And people are going to eat it right up.

Vinnk

Jonnyram said:

I guess their logic was: "We made a bundle of cash on the last Gran Turismo demo and we have nothing else to show off until after Christmas, might as well"

Link

The Autumn Wind
Eteric Rice said:
They shall ackowledge it...

Someday. :|
Nah.

EDIT - I'm wondering if the GT: Prologue releases are really such a great idea in the end. They seem to do nothing but steal sales from the full release. Each game in the series had sold more than the last until GT4, which took a sizable dip in sales despite the PS2's userbase being exponentially larger than it was when GT3 released.

To me, it seems to be a lose-lose situation for Sony. Prologue is too expensive to sell huge numbers, but still drags down the sales of the full game in the end because people are satisfied with Prologue. Not to mention by that time, used copies of Prologue are flooding the market dirt cheap.

Jonnyram

JudgeN said:
People still think GT5P is demo? How many other demos have this much content in them?
I didn't realise there were any hard and fast rules about how much comment a demo should have. It's just a taste of the final retail game, so it's a demo.

JudgeN

Jonnyram said:
I didn't realise there were any hard and fast rules about how much comment a demo should have. It's just a taste of the final retail game, so it's a demo.

Your right about that but whatever happened to comparing content vs price. I mean no one complained that bioshock was $60 for a 10 hour single player gaming experience that most people only played once. But everyone seems to be up in arms that GT5P is $44 even though it has decent amount of content and online play to add even more to the experiences. But this is what i hear "no thats to much money for a prologue its just a demo". Maybe I just don't understand how people think but this makes no sense to me, for what I'm getting in prologue the price doesn't seem bad at all.

Edit: But I do agree with Link prologue is going to take sales from GT5 because it is too good of a "Demo" :D

Vinnk

A while back I bought a copy of GT4:p for 600yen. It was a lot of fun, and it was enough for me. I never had a need to buy the full game. So I can understand it hurting the sales. GT5:p is Japan only right?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Vinnk said:
A while back I bought a copy of GT4:p for 600yen. It was a lot of fun, and it was enough for me. I never had a need to buy the full game. So I can understand it hurting the sales. GT5:p is Japan only right?
Comes out here in March.

donny2112

perfectchaos007 said:
aww. why must they have site maintnence now?

It's not. He posted a link to where the data will be whenever it goes up. The fact that it forwards you to a 404 page indicates the data isn't up, yet. The site isn't undergoing maintenance.

Jonnyram

JudgeN said:
Your right about that but whatever happened to comparing content vs price. I mean no one complained that bioshock was $60 for a 10 hour single player gaming experience that most people only played once. But everyone seems to be up in arms that GT5P is $44 even though it has decent amount of content and online play to add even more to the experiences. But this is what i hear "no thats to much money for a prologue its just a demo". Maybe I just don't understand how people think but this makes no sense to me, for what I'm getting in prologue the price doesn't seem bad at all.
Paying for demo sucks. The argument about volume in a video game is entirely different. See I paid $50 for Portal, and it's about 4 hours long. You might argue that GT5p has more content - it doesn't matter. We're talking about it being a subset of the product they intend to release at a later date.

linsivvi

dolemite said:
This is just unreal. Cartoonish fun >>>> realistic graphics

Mario Kart DS is still the best DS game to many people.

Especially when you have some friends who are also good at it to play offline multiplay.

FFIV will squeak over a million.

I'm thinking FFVr DS is a given. But I think FFVIr might get bumped upstairs - probably Wii. FFVIIr for PS3 will probably still happen with some major Sony investment.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
No, I don't agree with that. I think there is a bit too much content in the game for it to be free. If it was free then the content should be considerably reduced but I am not a fan of this Prologue idea anyway. It seems to be nothing more than milking rather than actually generating any sort of hype for the actual game.

Overall, I think $20 US dollars for it is a fair price and considering the fact that everything you unlock and achieve carries onto the main game it would have been a decent investment. $40 US dollars though, that is a bit much. No thank you.

cvxfreak

Is the GT5 thing all that different from a publisher releasing what the developer (but no one else) knows as an incomplete product under the guise of completeness, only to come back later with an expanded edition?

The impression I get is that GT5P could be considered a full game in many respects. If Sony released it as is (under the name GT5), and then came out with GT5 Director's Cut or such (which would be the GT5 we eventually get), would that be any different than this situation?

Sony's being honest at least. :lol

inner-G

Banned
Jonnyram said:
They did put out a free demo.

There were still people out there that said "I would gladly pay $40-50 for a bigger demo."

Then they sold them the game. First there was demand (me) Then there was supply (game).

Jonnyram

Hmm, since the volume of content argument seems to be picking up some steam, let's look at it from another angle...

Ever heard of shareware? Where you download a product and you can use it as much as you want, often with full functionality, for a limited period of time? Or perhaps you are too young to remember, but when Doom was first released for PC, the entire first chapter was a free demo, and chapters 2 and 3 could be unlocked by purchasing the game. GT5 Prologue not looking like such a hot deal now, is it?

If every copy of Prologue came with a coupon that gave you discount off the final game, that would be perfect. The way it stands now is an absolute rip off. You'll end up paying close to $100 in total, for one game.

apotema

perfectchaos007 said:
Is polyphony still planning on selling cars in that game through micro transactions? If so then that means it was $40 for the demo, $60 for the real game, and $1.00 for every car you want to drive in that game. And people are going to eat it right up.

Gamers and Star Wars action figures collectors are the worst businessmen in the world

linsivvi

Jonnyram said:
If every copy of Prologue came with a coupon that gave you discount off the final game, that would be perfect. The way it stands now is an absolute rip off. You'll end up paying close to $100 in total, for one game.

The coupon idea is what would justify Prologue, otherwise it's just a rip off.

sphinx

the piano man
Eteric Rice said:

thirded.

Prologues and Beta versions of games should disappear. They don't help at all.

short, free, precise and concise downloadable demos is the way to go, for me at least.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Hmm, since the volume of content argument seems to be picking up some steam, let's look at it from another angle...

Ever heard of shareware? Where you download a product and you can use it as much as you want, often with full functionality, for a limited period of time? Or perhaps you are too young to remember, but when Doom was first released for PC, the entire first chapter was a free demo, and chapters 2 and 3 could be unlocked by purchasing the game. GT5 Prologue not looking like such a hot deal now, is it?

You make Sony look like massive rip offs when you put it like that. :lol

200,000 give or take have bought the game in Japan, not including downloads and when it releases in EU I imagine it will be more of the same there. Sony are doing a real good job of fucking everyone over here. :lol

cvxfreak

So the concept of re-releases in the future is also a rip off in the same sense, right?

I dunno. I guess I could see it oppositely from how Jonny sees it because I collect Biohazard games, which have a long history of milking through re-releases. Except, Capcom tries to label the initial releases as the definitive versions of the title only to employ a bit of trickery later on. Biohazard CODE: Veronica Incomplete, anyone?

I don't have a problem with ports or remakes if they're good or of a good game.

I just don't like the idea of Sony charging $40 for what is basically an unupgradeable shareware title.

Top Bottom