• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/29 - 01/04

Nocebo

RpgN said:
I believe Prologue was released at the end of March 2008 in EU and somewhere in April in the US. It doesn't sound long, but I've heard they've been working on GT5 for a really long time, like 3 years at least.
It does sound like a long time to me. Releasing a sort of demo and after a year the full game is still not out? Weird.

Hehe, you've noticed. I was a member not too long ago. I made a stupid thread about senior/junior comparison and I made a joke there. Apperantly some admin/mod didn't laugh about it and now I'm a junior. Hopefully it's just a reset timer and I can become a member again. If not, then I'll have to stick with it.
Yeah dude, us dutchies have to keep an eye on each other :lol That's a bummer, and I think a junior status like that is permanent unless a mod changes it manually.

Vinci

Danish
Minsc said:
No such bump for Nintendo systems though... wonder why.

Hmm. Based on the population statistics for Japan done in December 2008, it would appear that the number of people from 1 to 19 years of age is about 23 million. Compare that to the number of DS units sold, and I think you'll see a reason why it didn't get much of a bump from the kids getting money.

Minsc

Gold Member
Vinci said:
Hmm. Based on the population statistics for Japan done in December 2008, it would appear that the number of people from 1 to 19 years of age is about 23 million. Compare that to the number of DS units sold, and I think you'll see a reason why it didn't get much of a bump from the kids getting money.

Makes sense for the DS, but I'm still not sure about the Wii. Perhaps it just had a bad week relatively speaking.

Jokeropia

Wii is really close to exceeding PSP in total software sales.
Oni Jazar said:
I know it's old but almost 9 million NDS sold in JP in 2006. That is insaine. No other console before or after has ever come close?
Correct. And it would've done even more (probably >10 millions) if there hadn't been such shortages.

Vinci

Danish
Minsc said:
Makes sense for the DS, but I'm still not sure about the Wii. Perhaps it just had a bad week relatively speaking.

The Wii would capture less sales than the DS by its very nature - it can be shared amongst the household. So if you've got three kids in Japan, each one might have a DS (thus they don't need one) while you'd only need one Wii to satisfy them all. Considering it's tracking just below a 1/3 of the 1 to 19 population, I'd say it's reasonable to say that many either already have a Wii or have access to one.

Software LTD's till 01/04/2009

Code:
	Software LTD	Tie Ratio

NDS	119.561.982 	4,73
WII	28.143.169	3,70
PSP	27.985.292 	2,44
PS3	8.827.892	3,29
360	4.155.511	4,89

Wii has passed PSP now.

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 59.5 / 40.5 bring total shares to 68.9 / 31.1. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 88.5 weeks (September 16, 2010).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 24.5 / 75.5 bring total shares to 24.0 / 76.0. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 93.1 weeks (October 18, 2010).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 33.6 / 66.4 bring total shares to 26.1 / 73.9. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 81.0 weeks (July 26, 2010).

Week over week Nintendo systems are slightly down, while everything else seems up by a third-ish.
X360

Well damn. I'm starting to think my hypothesizing about PS2's 10K hardware days being over lit a fire under it, since it starts off 2009 at over 12K.
mc

That is down from over 32K the year before, though.

Laguna said:
That´s a major point against counting them (GT5Prologe) together.
Does that mean when we look at worldwide numbers there should always be two entries for Wii Sports: one for the standalone purchases and one for the pack-ins? When a major retailer offers Mario Kart free with a DS purchase, do we have to count those separately?

A large number of popular titles end up packed in, or offered at reduced price, or given away. We almost never get these numbers broken down. It would be completely unworkable to insist that they all be tracked separately.

donny2112

Spiegel said:

bttb said:
[ URL=http://geimin.net/da/forecast.php]Famitsu 2000-2007[/URL]

I can't claim to 100% understand the notes on the actual page, but the url certainly indicates some level of prediction vs. actual data being involved. Suffice it to say that PSP and Wii are very close in total software, though. :p

Edit:
Probably more meaningful is that Captain Smoker's numbers are supposed to be through 20090104, whereas the Famitsu numbers would only be through 20081228. Dengeki for this week had Wii with 300K more in software than the PSP, so maybe that's some of the disparity?

Laguna

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
Does that mean when we look at worldwide numbers there should always be two entries for Wii Sports: one for the standalone purchases and one for the pack-ins? When a major retailer offers Mario Kart free with a DS purchase, do we have to count those separately?

A large number of popular titles end up packed in, or offered at reduced price, or given away. We almost never get these numbers broken down. It would be completely unworkable to insist that they all be tracked separately.

Why should there be two entries for Wii Sports? We are talking about Japanese sales here and it´s only sold seperately there and there aren´t numbered sequels like for GT5P (I know those "sequels" are based on GT5Prologue with updates but that´s Sony for you, they just know how to milk there fans). What will you say when GT5 gets released, should we combine GT5 with GT5Prologue? it also will just be an update from the last GT5P only a bigger one, you know. :D And what are you trying to tell me with your retail example? Is it really that hard to understand that there is a difference between inhouse bundles from Sony,MS, N and custom bundles offered by retailers?

Laguna said:
Why should there be two entries for Wii Sports?
Did you miss the word "worldwide"? In this thread we're only discussing Japan, but if bundles really should be counted separately from standalones that principle should apply no matter the venue.

Laguna said:
What will you say when GT5 gets released, should we combine GT5 with GT5Prologue? it also will just be an update from the last GT5P only a bigger one, you know. :D
You're confusing two issues. I'm not talking about whether GT5P Spec II and GT5P Spec III should be counted together, I'm talking about whether bundled and standalone copies of GT5P Spec III should be counted together. I think they should be, and the only reason I can see for your disagreement doesn't hold water (see below).

(Though it wasn't my point, I think very similar but different games being counted separately or together is a case-by-case thing, based on what type of inference you're wishing to draw. That's how we handle the Pokemon release-groups, for example.)

Laguna said:
And what are you trying to tell me with your retail example? Is it really that hard to understand that there is a difference between inhouse bundles from Sony,MS, N and custom bundles offered by retailers?
Yes, it really is that hard to understand. I'm having to guess at the rationale behind your stance, but it seems to me that the only plausible reason to separate a (officially) bundled game from the standalone version is that the consumer didn't have to choose to buy the bundled game, it just came with the hardware they were buying anyway. But surely that same reasoning applies to any bundling, no matter the source.

In the end, I think trying to separate bundled games, official or not, is counterproductive. Sure, in some cases it doesn't represent a "real" sale of the game; but in other cases, the entire reason the consumer buys the bundle is because of which game is inside it. We will never tease apart these events, so any specific numerical split will be wholly arbitrary and a possibly misleading imposition on the data.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Rhythm Tengoku is doing insanely well. Word of mouth at work here. I was talking to a friend's friend over the New Year, and when they found out I like games they asked "Oh, do you have Rhythm Tengoku? I'm addicted." Quite bizarre to hear stuff like that from casual gamers :)

I'll never understand RT's casual success. Difficult games usually do not work with casual gamers and RTG is one of the most difficult hardcore games on the system.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jokeropia said:
Wii is really close to exceeding PSP in total software sales.
Correct. And it would've done even more (probably >10 millions) if there hadn't been such shortages.

specialolympics.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bebpo said:
I'll never understand RT's casual success. Difficult games usually do not work with casual gamers and RTG is one of the most difficult hardcore games on the system.

Tetris is also insanely difficult at higher levels...

Vinci said:
The Wii would capture less sales than the DS by its very nature - it can be shared amongst the household. So if you've got three kids in Japan, each one might have a DS (thus they don't need one) while you'd only need one Wii to satisfy them all. Considering it's tracking just below a 1/3 of the 1 to 19 population, I'd say it's reasonable to say that many either already have a Wii or have access to one.

Not to mention shortages. No doubt some of those manufactures have switched from making Japanese Wii's to transfer them to making North American Wii's where the console competition is more fierce.

Laguna

Banned
Liabe Brave
While you are talking about worldwide numbers now. Are you one of the people saying Wii Sports is the best selling videogame ever? Actually it is but the question is are you agreeing? Shouldn´t you if you want to combine standalone and bundle sales for GT5Prologue?

Laguna said:
Liabe Brave
While you are talking about worldwide numbers now. Are you one of the people saying Wii Sports is the best selling videogame ever? Actually it is but the question is are you agreeing? Shouldn´t you if you want to combine standalone and bundle sales for GT5Prologue?
I haven't said one way or the other before, but yes, I think Wii Sports is the bestselling videogame of all time. That it is often bundled is a reason for that achievement, not a reason to deny that achievement.

Atreides

Bebpo said:

It's more like difficult controls do not work with casual gamers. Some casual gamers don't like difficult games, too, but the most important thing is the controls.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |    YTD    |    LTD    [/U][/B]*
NDS      |   230,678 |   245,150 | 4,177,267 | 25,350,321
PSP      |   157,088 |   118,765 | 3,850,175 | 11,515,252
WII      |   119,965 |   134,958 | 2,982,727 |  7,598,866
PS3      |    60,654 |    45,989 | 1,041,406 |  2,683,082
360      |    19,964 |    13,011 |   341,789 |    850,234
PS2      |    12,548 |    10,404 |   485,032 | 21,412,072
---------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |   182,518 |   188,697 |   838,570 |    838,570
DSL      |    48,160 |    50,308 | 2,715,226 | 17,350,965

*Corrections welcome
** Thanks to donny112 for the awesome hardware presentation formatting. I'll be using this from now on/until the DSL is discontinued.

Spiegel

Musou Orochi 2 (24), Gundam Vs Gundam (37), Kenka Banchou 3 (38) and Yugioh 3 (40) are still in the Top 50 after 6/7 weeks.

Great news for third party games on psp.

And Patapon is nº 45

donny2112 said:
I can't claim to 100% understand the notes on the actual page, but the url certainly indicates some level of prediction vs. actual data being involved. Suffice it to say that PSP and Wii are very close in total software, though. :p

Edit:
Probably more meaningful is that Captain Smoker's numbers are supposed to be through 20090104, whereas the Famitsu numbers would only be through 20081228. Dengeki for this week had Wii with 300K more in software than the PSP, so maybe that's some of the disparity?

I think he's mixing Famitsu data until mid summer '08 + Dengeki data until now

shykyoichi said:
Thanks. Donny, do you have date on the LTD sales of Suikoden games in Japan?
Includes Best-rereleases, etc.:

PSX - Suikoden II 416.790
PS2 - Suikoden III 397.422
PS2 - Suikoden IV 311.815
PSX - Suikoden 206.775
PS2 - Suikoden V 194.780
DS - Suikoden Tierkreis 90.000*
PS2 - Suikoden Tactics 64.472
PSP - Gensou Suikoden I + II 28.271
GBA - Suikoden: Card Stories 7.676
*should've 110.000 now

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Who the fuck could have said RTGold had a shot at 2 million copies when it released?!

Honestly, that's mind bogglin'!

SO AWESOME

Rolf NB

Lightning said:
That's what Sony get for leaving the PS3 without games that appeal to the Japanese for prolonged periods of time.
What about the Wii then? It's down by 20% as well. We may be seeing the continued shift away from home consoles towards handheld gaming (including phones), superimposed over other factors.

edit: I don't buy the theory that the Wii is already nearing hardware saturation. Maybe in another ten million but not yet.

kswiston

dabra said:
Famitsu 2008

Software Top 30

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) – PSP 2,452,111
2. Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Company) – DS 2,187,337
3. Wii Fit (Nintendo) – Wii 2,149,131
4. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) – Wii 2,003,315
5. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Nintendo) – Wii 1,747,113

In the end the race wasn't all that close, but for a few months Wii Fit gave MHP2G a run for its money as far as #1 game in 2008 was concerned. I'm surprised that Pokemon Platinum came so close to claiming the top spot. Everyone knew it would be big, but before it launched I figured ~1.5M by the end of the year. What did Monster Hunter Portable 2G end up with when you throw in the re-release? 2.7M? The game should hit 3 million when all is said and done.

2009 should see Wii Fit take Wii Sports' title as the best selling Wii title to date. I wonder how long Brawl will stay in the all time Wii top 5. I see Animal Crossing potentially passing it in the next year or two. Monster Hunter 3 breaking 1.8M is not out of the realm of possibility either.

kswiston

Bananakin said:
Wii Sports Resort will also be big, don't forget.

It will be big , but I don't think it is guaranteed to be the next 2 million+ game. I definitely don't see it hitting 2M+ by the end of this year. I could be proven wrong though.

test_account

XP-39C²
kswiston said:
It will be big , but I don't think it is guaranteed to be the next 2 million+ game. I definitely don't see it hitting 2M+ by the end of this year. I could be proven wrong though.
Wii Sports Resort will be bundled (i think so at least) with the new Wii Motion+ addon. I wonder if that could be a factor that will make Wii Sports Resort sell alot of copies :) It probably would have sold alot of copies without the Wii Motion+ addon though, but with this addon, it might end up selling even more, i think it should be interesting to see how it sells :)

TJ Spyke

kswiston said:

Have you checked the sales of Wii Sports in Japan? I think it will easily hit 2 million.

ta, Wii Sports Resort will indeed be bundled with Wii MotionPlus (although Nintendo said they will sell Wii MotionPlus separately too for those who just want that).

cvxfreak

I'm in Japan again for a short period of time, and went to Bic Camera (Shinjuku-West Exit) today.

Phantasy Star 0: ¥2800
Tales of Hearts CG: ¥3800
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword: ¥980
Soul Eater: ¥2980

Kenka

cvxfreak said:
I'm in Japan again for a short period of time, and went to Bic Camera (Shinjuku-West Exit) today.

I know I spend my time swearing on GAF but that's ***king pitiful for Sega and Namco....

Rpgmonkey

Kenka said:
I know I spend my time swearing on GAF but that's ***king pitiful for Sega and Namco....

Don't know about PS, but that was bound to happen to the CG version of ToH.

You see any notable price drops for the Anime version cvx?

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 211 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 160.0 weeks (March 23, 2003), where DS was at 94.2 weeks (September 19, 2006), and where GBA was at 143.9 weeks (December 20, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 159 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 15.4 weeks (December 26, 2001), where PS3 was at 22.7 weeks (April 13, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.3 weeks (December 26, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 111 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 26.3 weeks (August 29, 2000), where PSP was at 55.6 weeks (December 29, 2005), where GCN was at 115.9 weeks (November 29, 2003), and where Wii was at 27.8 weeks (June 9, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 108 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 92.2 weeks (December 23, 2002), where DS was at 73.1 weeks (April 24, 2006), where PS2 was at 106.0 weeks (March 10, 2002), and where PSP was at 158.9 weeks (December 22, 2007).

DSi comparisons: After 8 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 13.8 weeks (May 17, 2003), and where DSL was at 8.0 weeks (April 23, 2006).

DSL and DSi's first few months have been remarkably similar.
DSi+in+terms+of+DSL

Famitsu Software Stuff

For the most part software things worth pointing out would be continuing trends. However, with Famitsu being more behind the calendar than normal it's pretty unsatisfying to see more of the same with outdated data. There are a couple things of note for the week of 2008-12-15, though.

It's the week where Animal Crossing: City Folk (3281) became the top-selling home console entry of the series.

Now that it has two weeks under its belt, it's more interesting to compare the original and Play on Wii versions of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Both were mid-December releases (original: December 16 new: December 11), so time of year doesn't give either a huge advantage. The new Wii version can't compare to the old, but barring a huge plummet or insane legs, this one will probably end up doing a third to a half of what the original did.
Wii

Wii Music, like other Nintendo October releases, shows a later rebound of weekly sales. Though without times of years perfectly lined up, it happens to some titles a week or two younger. SMG being a late October release, it happened a few weeks earlier than for mid-October Wii Music.
Wii+Music

test_account

XP-39C²
TJ Spyke said:
ta, Wii Sports Resort will indeed be bundled with Wii MotionPlus (although Nintendo said they will sell Wii MotionPlus separately too for those who just want that).
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) Are there announced any more Wii games that will support the Wii MotionPlus by the way? I would assume that more Wii games will come that supports Wii MotionPlus, but what about around the time when Wii Sports Resort is released? Selling the Wii MotionPlus addon separately might be bought for a second (or more) controller, since Wii Sports Resort have 2 (or maybe more as well) player at the same time support, like with that sword fighting thinigie :)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
cvxfreak said:

I finally got around to playing and beating this over the Christmas period and it's effin' awesome - why did it flop so badly at retail? Such a crime.

UraMallas said:
Looks like the DS just squeaked by the PSP for the year. That was a hard fought battle over there this year.

So now they're competing again? Let me guess, you're one of those gamers who celebrate crossing the finishing line ahead of the other guy despite still being 2 laps behind everyone else.

Spiegel

NintendosBooger said:
So now they're competing again? Let me guess, you're one of those gamers who celebrate crossing the finishing line ahead of the other guy despite still being 2 laps behind everyone else.

Yeah, they were competing in consoles sold in 2008, this year they will be competing in consoles sold in 2009.

There's no medal or prize at the end of a generation so your comparison doesn't make any sense. Psp selling more (or well) means more support and a longer lifespan and that's great.

Spiegel said:
Yeah, they were competing in consoles sold in 2008, this year they will be competing in consoles sold in 2009.

There's no medal or prize at the end of a generation so your comparison doesn't make any sense. Psp selling more (or well) means more support and a longer lifespan and that's great.

There is a prize: it's called bragging rights. A prize that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft understand and cherish all too well. But hey, I guess some of us would like to ignore the bigger picture and focus on attaining the yearly moral victory, eh?

UraMallas

NintendosBooger said:
You're going to seriously sit here and put words in my mouth? I've never said they weren't in competition so get the fuck out, with that shit. It was a completely harmless comment about how good both systems were doing but you go ahead and shine on, you crazy defense force diamond.

NintendosBooger said:
There is a prize: it's called bragging rights. A prize that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft understand and cherish all too well. But hey, I guess some of us would like to ignore the bigger picture and focus on attaining the yearly moral victory, eh?
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Take a walk. (Check my post history, I'm no huge fan of Sony.)

Top Bottom