• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/18 - 2/24

donny2112

Psychotext said:
What's the release date on Yakuza 3?

Thursday of this week.

Edit:
I beat schuelma by a minute with the Wii Sports thing, and he beats me by two minutes with the Yakuza 3 release date. :lol

Well, at least Wii Sports typo isn't Layton again :lol

I'm quite surprised Idolmaster did better than Soma Bringer in the weekend...also very good Gundam Musou numbers, double the first day, and basically sold out if we take sinobi's 150k shipped number.

Sule

Do we know who is buying wii fit? I'm curious if there are a lot of people who would have bought wii sports who are now buying wii fit and what the split between casuals and core gamers is. There's a big price difference between them and I would think that most people who are buying it are core gamers. I don't live in Japan so if anybody has a better understanding of what's going on I'd like to hear it.

kswiston

Sule said:
Do we know who is buying wii fit? I'm curious if there are a lot of people who would have bought wii sports who are now buying wii fit and what the split between casuals and core gamers is. There's a big price difference between them and I would think that most people who are buying it are core gamers. I don't live in Japan so if anybody has a better understanding of what's going on I'd like to hear it.

I don't think price is going to hold back casual buyers, especially since Wii Fit comes with the Balance board. $75 for the board and game seems like a better value to me than $40 for just Wii Sports. I'm sure it does to a lot of casual gamers as well.

Based on continued sales of Wii Fit, I'd say it's selling to pretty much everyone, with a lot of casuals picking it up along with core gamers. If it was a mainly core gamer thing, you would have seen big sales for a couple of weeks followed by large drop-offs. Look at the sales patterns of Super Mario Galaxy and even SSBB compared to the sales patterns of Wii Sports, Wii Fit and Wii Play (which appeal to gamers who wouldn't touch a 3d Mario title, along with the core gamers).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that this is the first small drop for SSBB (down only ~10k units from last week). Hopefully drops are smaller from here on out, allowing it to reach at least 2M before falling off the charts

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Those Soma Bringer sales are worse than ASHs, no?

... what is wrong with DS owners these days. They hate new RPG IPs?

jarrod

Banned
Wow, nice follow through for Musou Megamix and WEWii. I'd have never imagined both would be doing this this well... both are sure to break six digits at this rate.

Pimpwerx

Maybe if the PS3 continues to tank over there, Sony will start giving us the new colors and PSN games. Yeah right. PEACE.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Here we go, remember new PSP color (mint green).

5.360 Id@lmater Live For You 48000
7.NDS Etrian Odyssey 2 23000(108000)
25.WII Zenkoku Dekotora Matsuri 6600
...PSP My Stylist 3000
...WII Sega Bass Fishing 940
12.Family Ski 15000(74000)
Thx.

Strong Idolmaster numbers. But it'll drop out of the Top 30 in 2 weeks max. Still the otaku market can generate some good profit I guess with all the downloadable stuff.

Atlus must be very happy with those EO2 numbers. Isn't that Wii game the truck decorating one? It actually charted? :lol I know it's a slow period etc, but still.

My Stylist is that "Dress Training" non-game/app? Now we know what SCEJ was up to. GAF fails, I would've expected at least three threads about it. I vaguely remember just one.

Bass Fishing sales make me a sad panda.

Family Ski is quite the success story, around 120k LTD seems to be possible.

John Harker said:
Those Soma Bringer sales are worse than ASHs, no?

... what is wrong with DS owners these days. They hate new RPG IPs?
It's a much larger percentage of its shipment though. Soma will almost certainly get a re-order, something ASH never managed.

Sharp

Pretty good sales this week, but Japan, why are you pretending to be like the West and picking up Brawl in truckloads but lagging far behind in Mario Galaxy sales? Srsly.

D.Lo

felipeko said:
At this rate Wii Fit will pass PS3 at...?
Holy crap, the Wii will have three, maybe four games that have outsold the PS3 hardware in a few months. Insane.

felipeko

D.Lo said:
Holy crap, the Wii will have three, maybe four games that have outsold the PS3 hardware in a few months. Insane.
Not only that... But a peripheral with higher user base than PS3...

egocrata

Banned
¿What´s up with this japanese obsession of buying every single new color of PSP? I don´t get it. The DS needs more random pink limited editions.

Sharp said:
Pretty good sales this week, but Japan, why are you pretending to be like the West and picking up Brawl in truckloads but lagging far behind in Mario Galaxy sales? Srsly.
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.349.418
Super Mario Sunshine 789.989

It was to be expected. Brawl will sell more than Galaxy in the US as well (LTD), probably not at the same rate as in Japan though.

donny2112

With Metroid Prime 3 and Yakuza 3 releasing this week, I figured it might be useful to post how their predecessors did. That way, when the question comes up later, no one will remember this post.

Code:
GCN Metroid Prime           40K .. 12K ... 78K (20031228)
GCN Metroid Prime 2         18K ..  6K ... 40K (20051225)

NDS Metroid Prime: Hunters  33K ..  9K ... 90K (20061231)

Metroid Prime was released in early 2003 before the apparent mass exodus of core gamers from Nintendo home consoles in late 2003/2004. I'd say hitting the original's first week would be a very good start for Metroid Prime 3.

Code:
PS2 Yakuza          130K .. 58K ... 345K (20061231)
PS2 Yakuza (BEST)    33K .. 22K ... 484K (20071230)
PS2 Yakuza 2        281K .. 81K ... 573K (20070701)

I included the first BEST re-release of Yakuza, because it seemed to really help spark the current interest in the franchise. Notice that it outsold the original release with much longer legs. If Yakuza 3 was coming out on the PS2, a 300K first week wouldn't be out of the question. On the PS3, I think jarrod's earlier expectation (IIRC) of 150-200K for the first week is pretty reasonable.

I'm expecting about 20-25K first week numbers for Metroid. The advertising has been non-existent which hasn't helped things.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
Metroid Prime was released in early 2003 before the apparent mass exodus of core gamers from Nintendo home consoles in late 2003/2004. I'd say hitting the original's first week would be a very good start for Metroid Prime 3.

I included the first BEST re-release of Yakuza, because it seemed to really help spark the current interest in the franchise. Notice that it outsold the original release with much longer legs. If Yakuza 3 was coming out on the PS2, a 300K first week wouldn't be out of the question. On the PS3, I think jarrod's earlier expectation (IIRC) of 150-200K for the first week is pretty reasonable.

I think MP3 will probably do 25-30Kish.

150-200K sounds about right for Yakuza- that seems to be the trend for high profile PS3 games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
Predictonz!

RGG3 ~180,000
FamiJockey ~15,000
Retroid 3 ~22,000
Common Sense Training TV ~45,000

Lifetime or week one? The RGG number makes me think lifetime, but everything else...

Stumpokapow said:
Lifetime or week one? The RGG number makes me think lifetime, but everything else...
Your RGG expectations are pretty damn low then. Especially after seeing how DMC 4 did, a equally if not less popular franchise.

Vinnk

jarrod said:
Predictonz!

RGG3 ~180,000
FamiJockey ~15,000
Retroid 3 ~22,000
Common Sense Training TV ~45,000

I agree, but I would put Common Sense Training TV at around 90,000.

It is getting non-stop TV advertising. I have the TV on right now and a CM for it was just on (and it's 2:00am). Casual titles don't garner massive first week sales (look at brain training) but I still expect this to be a big hit for Nintendo.

blitz64

ksamedi said:
1.PS2 Gundam Musou Special 148000

Those are great numbers for gundam musou for ps2. Does that mean dynasty warrior 6 is coming for ps2 also :) ? Probably not since dw6 had next gen graphics while gundam had last gen graphics.

I just got into the mosou series and I'm really enjoying it. I know they are a big franchise in japan. Does anyone have first week numbers for the gundum musou for ps3/xbox360 and musou 5?

Opiate

I'm interested to see how Common Sense Training does. While Wii Sports and Play and several others are all casual, they have a distinct feel -- and "Wii" brand name -- attached to them, that separates them from their DS brethren.

Common Sense Training is the first game to bear the "training" moniker on the Wii, and I'll be interested to note if the training series can translate to home consoles.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Segata Sanshiro said:
It's a much larger percentage of its shipment though. Soma will almost certainly get a re-order, something ASH never managed.

Got it, I didn't know the shipment numbers.
Nintendo learning from their mistake with ASH and were more cautious this time?

I certainly hope this trend doesn't cause them to hesitate when greenlighting projects like this from now on. Nintendo just doesn't have luck with RPGs.

jarrod

Banned
Vinnk said:
I agree, but I would put Common Sense Training TV at around 90,000.

It is getting non-stop TV advertising. I have the TV on right now and a CM for it was just on (and it's 2:00am). Casual titles don't garner massive first week sales (look at brain training) but I still expect this to be a big hit for Nintendo.
Orly? HAL must be happy then. :D

Nice numbers for PSP once again.

Do you know what I think? I have always the impression that PSP could explode definitely in Japan if an exclusive, big game comes out. The probem is that there isn't this game and it isn't planned. PSP hardware's sales are good mostly because of the continuosly new colours and bundles. God of War is sure a big game, but not in Japan.

I wonder what could happen if Dragon Quest IX would come out on PSP too....

donny2112

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Do you know what I think? I have always the impression that PSP could explode definitely in Japan if an exclusive, big game comes out. The probem is that there isn't this game and it isn't planned.

No. The problem is that all these PSP buyers are just fine buying the hardware without any accompanying software, so publishers have to get over the hurdle of convincing the apathetic game-buyers to purchase software.

felipeko

John Harker said:
Got it, I didn't know the shipment numbers.
Nintendo learning from their mistake with ASH and were more cautious this time?

I certainly hope this trend doesn't cause them to hesitate when greenlighting projects like this from now on. Nintendo just doesn't have luck with RPGs.
My Pokemans! Let me show you them! :lol

But seriously.. Few new RPG IPs (if one) are having luck in Japan.

Grecco

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Nice numbers for PSP once again.

Do you know what I think? I have always the impression that PSP could explode definitely in Japan if an exclusive, big game comes out. The probem is that there isn't this game and it isn't planned.

I wonder what could happen if Dragon Quest IX would come out on PSP too....

Monster Hunter and a Prequel to the most popular Final Fantasy game of all time, were pretty big games.

The PSP didnt "Explode"

donny2112

This week is packed full of interesting (if not necessarily high-seller) releases.

Arcade is released along with 4 BEST price re-releases

DS

Flower, Sun, and Rain (Suda51's re-make)

PS3

Yakuza 3 (and a PS3 bundle)
Satin Silver PS3 and Dual-Shock 3

Wii

General Knowledge Training Wii (i.e. Common Sense Training)
Metroid Prime 3
Family Jockey

And Guitar Hero 3 launches on PS2 and PS3. Go figure as to the lack of a 360 or Wii version. :lol

donny2112 said:
No. The problem is that all these PSP buyers are just fine buying the hardware without any accompanying software, so publishers have to get over the hurdle of convincing the apathetic game-buyers to purchase software.

I told you that it was an impression. Just an impression.

donny2112

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Your impression is most likely due to the fact that we are used to seeing purchasers of a video game system purchase video games. As such, a higher weekly/LTD userbase should yield greater potential sales. That doesn't hold with the PSP, though, based on what we see in the charts.

Laguna

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

They are getting another Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts this year...

How many PSP colours have been released till now?

Laguna said:
They are getting another Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts this year...

How many PSP colours have been released till now?

Monster Hunter is an expansion, right? I don't think that Kingdom Hearts will be that big...

donny2112

Busaiku said:
Is Family Jockey another game that makes use of the Balance Board?

It doesn't appear to.

http://familyjockey.namco-ch.net/howtoplay.html

It's in the same family of games as Family Ski, though.

Frillen said:
Common TV thingy isn't the same ast that TV guide channel right?

Correct. "TV" is just a way of saying it is for a home console. It seems to be related to the General Knowledge/Common Sense Training game for the DS.

Moor-Angol said:
Kurosaki, you missed #22 in the last Famitsu chart ;)

The leaked Famitsu data is usually missing a position or three.

ksamedi

donny2112 said:

They all are potential customers. That they didn't buy the PSP for a game is another story, that doesn't mean they won't buy appealing games when they appear. Monster Hunters succes is proof of this.

blitz64 said:
Those are great numbers for gundam musou for ps2. Does that mean dynasty warrior 6 is coming for ps2 also :) ? Probably not since dw6 had next gen graphics while gundam had last gen graphics.

I just got into the mosou series and I'm really enjoying it. I know they are a big franchise in japan. Does anyone have first week numbers for the gundum musou for ps3/xbox360 and musou 5?
Gundam:
PS3: 171.032 (First week-Moor Angol)
360: 14,539 (LTD-Dalthien) iirc it didn't chart so we don't have first week numbers.

DW5:
560.733 (First week-Moor Angol)

Opiate said:
I'm interested to see how Common Sense Training does. While Wii Sports and Play and several others are all casual, they have a distinct feel -- and "Wii" brand name -- attached to them, that separates them from their DS brethren.

Common Sense Training is the first game to bear the "training" moniker on the Wii, and I'll be interested to note if the training series can translate to home consoles.
While not a "Training" game, BBA did OK. Of course it won't reach DS' numbers, I think the brain training type of games (including BBA) don't translate that well to home consoles. A quiz game seems to be a better fit, but I don't expect huge numbers - I guess somewhere around 50k. This will sell in the long run, maybe it can even break the 400k barrier - we'll see.

donny2112 said:
With Metroid Prime 3 and Yakuza 3 releasing this week, I figured it might be useful to post how their predecessors did. That way, when the question comes up later, no one will remember this post.
Thx. Didn't know Hunters is close to 100k - color me surprised.

Top Bottom