• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

Wiitard

Banned
Busaiku said:
Actually I think they said that they will increase production to over 1 million a month.
They never specified any numbers, but I'm thinking somewhere between 1.2-1.5 million.
Though again, I'm not completely sure.

I've seen 1.2 mil number before. But it has to increase to 1.6-1.7 million.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
wait a second, its early morning here, I'm sleepy and late to this thread - but am I reading this right?

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 121,630 | 108,631 | 1,719,595 | 15,725,274
2. WII - 67,070 | 44,495 | 915,139 | 1,834,782
3. PSP - 43,769 | 56,175 | 603,928 | 5,136,057
4. PS3 - 21,635 | 32,115 | 316,475 | 774,033
5. PS2 - 13,321 | 14,585 | 223,953 | 20,378,812
6. 360 - 2,910 | 3,333 | 71,632 | 336,334
7. GBA - 1,293 | 1,504 | 26,911 | 15,324,990
8. NGC - 367 | 240 | 5,039 | 4,174,507

NDS has already sold more combined than GBA did in its lifetime?? and is only 5 million away from the entire PS2 lifetime sales?

No way....did someone turn over two pages at once?

Evlar

Banned
kaizoku said:
wait a second, its early morning here, I'm sleepy and late to this thread - but am I reading this right?

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 121,630 | 108,631 | 1,719,595 | 15,725,274
2. WII - 67,070 | 44,495 | 915,139 | 1,834,782
3. PSP - 43,769 | 56,175 | 603,928 | 5,136,057
4. PS3 - 21,635 | 32,115 | 316,475 | 774,033
5. PS2 - 13,321 | 14,585 | 223,953 | 20,378,812
6. 360 - 2,910 | 3,333 | 71,632 | 336,334
7. GBA - 1,293 | 1,504 | 26,911 | 15,324,990
8. NGC - 367 | 240 | 5,039 | 4,174,507

NDS has already sold more combined than GBA did in its lifetime?? and is only 5 million away from the entire PS2 lifetime sales?

No way....did someone turn over two pages at once?
... Yeah. DS passed GBA a couple weeks ago. It will probably pass PS2 this year (when you factor in holiday sales and the DQIX Event.)

apotema

The Sphinx said:
... Yeah. DS passed GBA a couple weeks ago. It will probably pass PS2 this year (when you factor in holiday sales and the DQIX Event.)

Holiday sales and DQIX will be the same event

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The Sphinx said:

DS continues to boggle the mind, but I'm glad gamers everywhere love it as much as I do.

ImprezaRS

I know this may be a stupid question but what exactly is golden week? and which games will be coming out for which systems durng that week?

Terrell

ImprezaRS said:
I know this may be a stupid question but what exactly is golden week? and which games will be coming out for which systems durng that week?
Wikipedia is your friend.
Essentially, it's a whole bunch of single holidays so close together that the whole bloody week is considered a holiday now. One of the biggest non-December shopping and entertainment revenue booms in Japan.

Neomoto

NDS - 15,725,274
GBA - 15,324,990
Can't believe I missed this. Nice.

30 - 50 Except for 1 game all Nintendo.. And 45/50 for the whole chart. This is just sick :lol

I just can't believe Nintendo has to litterly obliterate everyone else just to get 3rd party developers even noticing. Maybe now they'll learn there is a shitload of money to be made if they just try it their best instead of porting crap and then blame 1st party software.

SonSon2

Does it really matter? Even if the Cube pulls a SNES in late sales competition, does it really make a difference? The PS2 eclipses both in sales.

apotema

I think the difference between XB and GC is more or less 1 million

America: -3 Million
Japan: +4 Million
EU and rest: -2 Million??

Zorglub

Desperado said:
I think they're already at 1mil/mo and they're going to increase to 1.1-1.2 mil per. Not much, but it's something.

2 month ago, when Nintendo had started talking about increase production, I have heard that they're already at 0,8 mil/mo and they're going to increase to 1 million per month... So the increase could be 200K per month.

(800 000 per month, for the moment, sounds to be a good number. Look : Wii sells for february : 360 000 for NA (335K for USA + 28K for Canada, according NPD), 278646 for japan (according médiacreate), and maybe only 150 000 for Europe...)

DarkMehm

apotema said:
I think the difference between XB and GC is more or less 1 million

America: -3 Million
Japan: +4 Million
EU and rest: -2 Million??

No, it's more like ~ 2-2,5 million.

In EU alone Xbox is ~2 million ahead, plus ~750k in Australia and ~500k in Asian markets like Taiwan (it sold more than 300k there), Singapur and South Korea.

Scotch

MS has shipped ~24.5m Xbox's worldwide, which more or less have all been sold at this point. Nintendo shipped ~21.5m GameCube's as of end of 2006. There's no way it's gonna catch up to Xbox.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Why does people think Wii is doing poorly in Europe? The system is a blast thunder over here too. No way it´s only 150K systems sold!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
tanasten said:
Why does people think Wii is doing poorly in Europe? The system is a blast thunder over here too. No way it´s only 150K systems sold!

Linea-walking1.gif

tanasten said:

Per month, chief. It is most likely more than that, but it's a safe, conservative estimate, and I don't think it's invalid just because it's on the low end of the range.

DSXBoy

tanasten said:

105,000 Wii consoles were sold during launch weekend(december 8) in the UK alone. Wii consoles continue to fly off retailers shelves. You cannot walk into a shop in the UK & get a Wii unless you know when a shop gets it's deliveries. I would estimate that in the UK alone about a third of a million Wii consoles have been bought by Gamers & non-gamer's.:D

D.Lo

DarkMehm said:
No, it's more like ~ 2-2,5 million.

In EU alone Xbox is ~2 million ahead, plus ~750k in Australia and ~500k in Asian markets like Taiwan (it sold more than 300k there), Singapur and South Korea.
Sound about right. There are probably 1-2 million Xboxes still sitting in the retail chain gathering dust, since it was dropped so quickly by MS.

So unlesss the Cube gets re-positioned as a kids console or something (ala Sega Pico) then it probably won't catch it.

Vieo said:
Gaah!?

$430?! That's it! I will be hunting for Wii consoles to scalp tomorrow!

There are many mysterious eBay ids bidding on both the PS3 and the Wii at highly inflated prices. I won't be surprised if this is one of them, especially since the user ids were kept private.

SonSon2 said:
Does it really matter? Even if the Cube pulls a SNES in late sales competition, does it really make a difference?
The difference is that once Wii gets over X360 by as much as Xbox is over GameCube, Nintendo fanboys can really throw a party.
PantherLotus said:
Let's see more charts, people.
Wonderswan family 2001 versus Xbox 360 2007
tanasten said:
Nobody says that, but we don't have anything to go with.

Kafel

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I wonder how long it'll be before the DS Lite surpasses the entire GBA family.

Things will go faster very soon : in fact when Pokemon DS will be released in USA.

The GBA userbase will shift ( and buy then ) "some" DS.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Kafel said:
Things will go faster very soon : in fact when Pokemon DS will be released in USA.

The GBA userbase will shift ( and buy then ) "some" DS.

That's real. Pokemon is going to sell tons of DSes. I just hope "the Kiddie" doesn't infects the image of the Nintendo DS due to the Pokemon promotion.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
tanasten said:
That's real. Pokemon is going to sell tons of DSes. I just hope "the Kiddie" doesn't infects the image of the Nintendo DS due to the Pokemon promotion.

Hopefully not, because the DS definitely had more games that appealed to me than the GBA which was infected by the Pokemon "inspired" demographic.

farnham

Banned
tanasten said:

i dont think it will.. i mean the GBA had many kiddie games but it wasnt really a Kiddie system.. it was a gaming device for everyone (judging from sales that is..) even hardcore adults

i think the DS did that fine and expanded upon it with their touch gen series..

Pokemon is not going to stop the touch gen series (cooking navy is the next for NA?)

and the Touch gen series did not stop games like EBA, CV or Advance wars to come out

Jesus, Pokemon in Europe and America....BOTH?! Sony's gotta endure two more Pokemon: D&P launches???? This isn't even fair, fellow gamers. Nintendo, come on, let a few more PSP games be released before you nuke the West and entire industry with two more bombs. Give the PSP some breathing room!

fresquito

Smiles and Cries said:
Pokemon is still big news?
You know, the other day I was talking witha friend of mine, and I told him the DS would pull ahead in NA and Europe like crazy when Pokemon is released. He told me that Pokemon wasn't that huge anymore, then I told him about the 5+ million units sold in Japan, and he was like WTF!?

Some people still thinks pokemon is a fad, it's somewhat funny.

donny2112

farnham said:
(cooking navy is the next for NA?)

Why do you taunt me like this? WHY?!?

No. Nintendo has not announced Cooking! Navi, Brain Training 2 (featuring Dr. Mario), <insert language> training, General Knowledge Training, or 1000 Healthy Recipes DS for the U.S. It's plain for anyone to see that Nintendo just hates money. :p It's particularly troublesome for me as I really don't see anything being released in the first half of the year (from this point) that I'm interested in for the DS. All of those games should already be announced/on the shelves in the U.S. for the DS by this point. :(

farnham

Banned
fresquito said:
You know, the other day I was talking witha friend of mine, and I told him the DS would pull ahead in NA and Europe like crazy when Pokemon is released. He told me that Pokemon wasn't that huge anymore, then I told him about the 5+ million units sold in Japan, and he was like WTF!?

umm i think pokemon ruby and saphire sold about 5 million copies in NA as well.. (if not more)

fresquito

farnham said:
umm i think pokemon ruby and saphire sold about 5 million copies in NA as well.. (if not more)
That's the thing, for some reason, people tend to think Pokemon is a thing of the past. However, it has much more merit selling 5 millions in Japan than it does in NA.

sphinx said:
wait a second you are saying that the wonderswan performed better than the xbox this point in time?
I didn't try to compare an equal time from launch or anything, just a random comparison to fulfill PantherLotus's request.
cvxfreak said:
I wonder how long it'll be before the DS Lite surpasses the entire GBA family.
Not too long after the DS family catches up to PS2.

farnham

Banned
fresquito said:
That's the thing, for some reason, people tend to think Pokemon is a thing of the past. However, it has much more merit selling 5 millions in Japan than it does in NA.
well compared to madden its probably not that much...:lol :lol

Jammy

Banned
People talk about Nintendogs, Brain Age, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, and Animal Crossing: Wild World's sales when they think of heavy DS hitters. The thought is that Pokemon is not as popular as it once was around ten years ago. That may be true, but every new iteration of a handheld Pokemon RPG is a guaranteed ten million seller.

In the end, it will be interesting to see which DS game ends up on top, though. New Super Mario Bros. is at like 8 million and Nintendogs has sold more than that, hasn't it? Then there's Brain Age which has been hugely popular in Japan and now Europe, not to mention it has sold well over a million in the U.S. already.

I'm sure Nintendo has something else they can pull out of their hat, too, for the handheld.

fresquito said:

Well I don't really blame him, I dunno but I am still in shock that it still sells so well, to think you can finally trade online :D

what are the DS numbers for NA so far?

Haunted

farnham said:
well compared to madden its probably not that much...:lol :lol
To step outside of Japan for a second (sorry), Wikipedia (I know, I know) has the Pokemon series at 155 million ww, while Madden is at 56 million ww. (I'm not saying these numbers are trustworthy down to the million, but they're probably enough of an indication as to which franchise is more popular. :p)

apotema

donny2112 said:
Why do you taunt me like this? WHY?!?

No. Nintendo has not announced Cooking! Navi, Brain Training 2 (featuring Dr. Mario), <insert language> training, General Knowledge Training, or 1000 Healthy Recipes DS for the U.S. It's plain for anyone to see that Nintendo just hates money. :p It's particularly troublesome for me as I really don't see anything being released in the first half of the year (from this point) that I'm interested in for the DS. All of those games should already be announced/on the shelves in the U.S. for the DS by this point. :(

Nintendo loves money, they are holding those games while Brain Age, Nintendogs and Big Brain build a bigger brand.... They prefer 10 million of people to anticipate the sequel instead of 5 million

Same thing will happen to New Super Mario Bros 2 and Animal Crossing Wii I think. Maybe those games are already finished, like Super Mario Bros 3 was 17 years ago (whoa!! 17!)

Evlar

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
So, is Squenix going to be releasing Joker outside of Japan or are they going to continue with their spotty release of DQ games here in NA?
After the terrible sales of DQH:Rocket Slime you can hardly blame them.

Top Bottom