• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
[Wii] Zelda TP LTD ~500k

Huuuuuuuuuuuh? Wasn't it at 400k just like 2 weeks ago?

enishi

DarkMehm said:
Zelda (~430k) and Wario (~380k) are nowhere near 500k. I think sinobi is just saying that these two are closing in on the 500k mark and should pass it in the near time.

I think you are correct. I read it once more and it should be approaching but may not reach 500k

Thank you for correction.

Kafel said:

edit : I find it sad that a member who didn't say shit about one or another company, gaming educated ( he posted in a shmup thread not so long ago ) was banned because he quoted some important CEOs and explained their views instead of posting usual trash based on wind.

Seriously.

Why is soundwave05 banned?

Can we go back to talking about Japanese sales again?

Holy cow at Prof Layton...this has got to be a success beyond Level 5's wildest dreams for their publishing debut.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Can we go back to talking about Japanese sales again?

Holy cow at Prof Layton...this has got to be a success beyond Level 5's wildest dreams for their publishing debut.

Contrary to popular belief, the DS does not print 'Trade shit in a box for cash' tickets.

It does, however, print 'Trade a quality effort for increased returns' tickets.

LOCK

enishi said:
Hardware
==================
PSP ~40k
Wii ~80k
If Wii numbers are that high, then what did people buy. Wii Sports and Play are low for those kind of hardware sales.

Sony's got to be happy that the PSP has found a new, higher level. Software sales are still not great, but the Monster Hunter bump seems to have caused a new plateau of sales for PSP hardware.

Burnst said:
So they didn't try to counter the PS3 launch in Europe after all..?

Shipping to Europe takes longer than shipping to Japan. So it's actually possible that the lower Wii sales in Japan ~two weeks ago where because of the PS3 launch in Europe.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sony's got to be happy that the PSP has found a new, higher level. Software sales are still not great, but the Monster Hunter bump seems to have caused a new plateau of sales for PSP hardware.
Pretty much, I was going to comment this too. Luckily for Sony, 3rd parties STILL care about PSP unlike Sony, and 2 quite important titles are going to be released next week (Pawapuro 2, Gundam SEED Vs Zaft). Sony really dropped the ball here...can anyone tell me what has Sony released for its PSP in this year?...because there is nothing until Minna no Golf Ba that has a very late June date with 0 advertising, 0 effort and so.

Next, very good showing for DS 3rd party titles! Very good legs for Mojipittan and Layton, nice starts for DBZ and Shin-Chan. Namco-Bandai has to be rolling over money with all their anime-manga franchises and non-games doing very good on the system.

Can't understand Rogue Galaxy DC selling 10k at all, sorry. 350k-selling-game gets budget re-release with major bonuses and it sells 10k? I'm not asking for a Ryu ga Gotoku effect...

Neomoto

NDS ~150k (shipment increased)
While interesting that it has increased, it is still "a lot" below the norm we saw a while back (like 180k iirc).
Nice, strange it is upped from last week wich means it has broken the trend by increasing shipments for 2 weeks straight. Especially considering the euro ps3 launch.

Very nice sales for Yoshi, MHP2 and Layton again.

I wonder how much of an impact Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will have. Seeing it is a crossover of 2 of the most populair videogame characters (Sonic might not sell well anymore in Japan but I think he's still a very populair gameicon) and a very populair sport event, will be released during this holiday and on BOTH DS and Wii! Holy shit.

And I bet that new Square Enix collaboration with Disney is on a Nintendo platform too, wich could be very big too.

Wiitard

Banned
Kafel said:

edit : I find it sad that a member who didn't say shit about one or another company, gaming educated ( he posted in a shmup thread not so long ago ) was banned because he quoted some important CEOs and explained their views instead of posting usual trash based on wind.

This is from Lapsed's last post:

Lapsed said:
It warms my heart to see all these new lapsed gamers on GAF. (It is like I am multiplying!) Don't worry, my lapsed brothers,

Welcome them, GAF. They are the first sign of a growing game market.

I can't speak for the others, but lapsed gamers view disinterest as their primary enemy (as opposed to another console like any other fanboy). Some GAFfers here have gone bonkers that one of three consoles is selling because of some "mini-games!!1!!1" But you don't know what its like to have your entire hobby die out on you. Even if someone hates Wii games, they have two alternatives. What alternatives did we have?

This is awesome!

I'm assuming that complaining about some company ruining you hobby is OK on this board given that there are at least a dozen posts like that every day. Now, banning is based on the totality of the work...

Datschge

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
350k-selling-game gets budget re-release with major bonuses and it sells 10k?
How well did comparable cases do? I only know of Star Ocean 3 which sold 478,000 while its DC did 164,000 (thanks to tri-Ace's own sales page).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Can't understand Rogue Galaxy DC selling 10k at all, sorry. 350k-selling-game gets budget re-release with major bonuses and it sells 10k? I'm not asking for a Ryu ga Gotoku effect...

Maybe in the scheme of things Rogue Galaxy was just a really front-loaded, hyped game that the gamers didn't care for once they got it in their hands? That's my best explanation. I haven't played RG at all though, so don't jump down my throat if it's totally awesome.

andthebeatgoeson

Frankfurter said:
Shipping to Europe takes longer than shipping to Japan. So it's actually possible that the lower Wii sales in Japan ~two weeks ago where because of the PS3 launch in Europe.
Which would be in contrast to the hoarding theory for Golden Week.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Pureauthor said:
No, you don't get it. The majority of us are elitist pricks. The problem is acting like one.
Can I love you pure?
Wiitard said:
This is from Lapsed's last post:

I'm assuming that complaining about some company ruining you hobby is OK on this board given that there are at least a dozen posts like that every day. Now, banning is based on the totality of the work...
He wasn't banned for that post was he? Is that a joke?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
If Twilight Princess were to peak at ~500-600k sales how would that compare to previous Zelda game sales in Japan? The only one I vaguely remember off the top of my head was Wind Waker at ~900k.

Regardless it'd be a solid performance to reach that many. Certainly not the signs of a "dying" game series as people were so worried about after the lacking sales of Minish Cap... Of course I'd like to see this excellent game sell more than that though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
enishi said:
Hardware
==================
PSP ~40k
Wii ~80k

Wow, combined with the 20k PS3 sales and the 120k for the DS you got a very strange combination.

The PSP is kicking butt and beating all non nintendo next gen gaming. If that wasn't enough it seems that the PS3 will be hitting new lows pretty soon.

At least they got Europe.

Wiitard

Banned
Masklinn said:
He wasn't banned for that post was he? Is that a joke?

Well, you can check his posting history to find something more compromising. I'm hereby expressing absolute confidence that if look at every nook and crany you will find unambiguosly compromising evidence of his misdeeds, even if I could not. I would also like to state for the record that the forum administration is wonderfully benevolent and never errand and I completely agree with permabanning flaimbaits like Lapsed and keeping wise and level-headed sages like Drinky and drohne.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Pretty much, I was going to comment this too. Luckily for Sony, 3rd parties STILL care about PSP unlike Sony, and 2 quite important titles are going to be released next week (Pawapuro 2, Gundam SEED Vs Zaft). Sony really dropped the ball here...can anyone tell me what has Sony released for its PSP in this year?...because there is nothing until Minna no Golf Ba that has a very late June date with 0 advertising, 0 effort and so.

Next, very good showing for DS 3rd party titles! Very good legs for Mojipittan and Layton, nice starts for DBZ and Shin-Chan. Namco-Bandai has to be rolling over money with all their anime-manga franchises and non-games doing very good on the system.

Sony are in a tight spot concerning first and second party support, which has (had) to be divided between three plattforms. PSP might not get the Sony love everyone is wishing for but on the other hand developing for PSP takes away resources for PS3 games. And you had games like GoW2, which have taken resources away from the other two plattforms as well.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SovanJedi said:
If Twilight Princess were to peak at ~500-600k sales how would that compare to previous Zelda game sales in Japan? The only one I vaguely remember off the top of my head was Wind Waker at ~900k.

WW was a little over 700k from Famitsu, I think. Someone else can confirm.

Eteric Rice

Pureauthor said:
The study the economics is essentially the study of human behaviour, and humans in general tend to have tunnel vision. If they see competition, their natural tendency is to focus their efforts on beating the competition unless they see they have no chance of doing so - in which case they'll leave and try something different.

That's basically what Nintendo did. The 'Blue Ocean' is a fancy way to validate their vision.

I think you're partially right. With the "kiddy" image they had, they knew they couldn't regain the hardcore and casual gamers. So what they did, it seems, is they're still making games for the hardcore/ core (Zelda, SSBB, Metroid, etc) while ALSO going for non-gamers, and lapsed gamers.

Instead of focusing all on the core and hardcore, they're branching out into other areas. They're going for everything.

DarkMehm

Oblivion said:
WW was a little over 700k from Famitsu, I think. Someone else can confirm.

Yes, that's correct. MediaCreate's figure on the other hand was 70-90k over Famitsu's, so it should be a little over 800k.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Datschge said:
How well did comparable cases do? I only know of Star Ocean 3 which sold 478,000 while its DC did 164,000 (thanks to tri-Ace's own sales page).

Oh wow, interesting find... was always curious to see how tri-Ace games did, since I consider myself a big fan of the company. Really shocked at how high SO2's sales were in America - didn't know so many RPGs without the FF or KH name pulled that many sales. And even more shocked at how well SO3 did!

flammie

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Back when Rogue Galaxy came out, Japan was full of gamers. Now Japan is full of non-gamers, hence the lower sales. :)

Wiitard

Banned
The study the economics is essentially the study of human behaviour, and humans in general tend to have tunnel vision. If they see competition, their natural tendency is to focus their efforts on beating the competition unless they see they have no chance of doing so - in which case they'll leave and try something different.

That's basically what Nintendo did. The 'Blue Ocean' is a fancy way to validate their vision.

Well, the recommendation you would get from virtually any economic model is that differentiation is good and you don't want to compete with a very similar product.

Datschge said:
I don't know very comparable cases (since DC and budget are rare) but most Sony budget releases do really well (Minna no Golf, Ape Escape...) and other RPGs getting budget re-releases or director cut versions (FFX, FFX-2 international versions) usually do better. It has to be the word mouth although it didn't seem to affect the original release that much.

Phife Dawg said:
Sony are in a tight spot concerning first and second party support, which has (had) to be divided between three plattforms. PSP might not get the Sony love everyone is wishing for but on the other hand developing for PSP takes away resources for PS3 games. And you had games like GoW2, which have taken resources away from the other two plattforms as well.
Sure that 3 platforms are too many to give a heavy support for them all but lets focus on SCEJ. What was their last serious PS2 effort? Minna no Tennis back in September, and there is nothing more coming from them for PS2. The less we talk about PSP the best for SCEJ, they haven't done anything for it since... since... I can't even come up with a recent SCEJ effort on the platform. Lets put Jeanne D'Arc because they published it but thats weak. And well, not even going to add a comment about SCEJ doings in PS3...lets say it in 1 word: Genji :/

Datschge

djtiesto said:
Really shocked at how high SO2's sales were in America - didn't know so many RPGs without the FF or KH name pulled that many sales. And even more shocked at how well SO3 did!
Yea, I guess that revelation made it an easy decision for them to work on a XBox 360 game next.

donny2112

Wiitard said:
Well, you can check his posting history to find something more compromising. I'm hereby expressing absolute confidence that if look at every nook and crany you will find unambiguosly compromising evidence of his misdeeds, even if I could not. I would also like to state for the record that the forum administration is wonderfully benevolent and never errand and I completely agree with permabanning flaimbaits like Lapsed and keeping wise and level-headed sages like Drinky and drohne.

:lol

You sound like the captured U.S. airmen in the first Persian Gulf War that said "I think our leaders and our people have wrongly attacked the peaceful people of Iraq" as he was a POW being held behind Iraqi lines. :p

Lapsed -- I respected his posts because he was careful to support his statements and made logical extrapolations, but all the complaints made against him are true. He was a hit-and-run poster and he said the same things over and over and over again. Annoying if you disagree with him, sure. But permabanned?

The mass banning are pretty ridiculous these days. So many folks banned, many of them forgettable posters, but what's the deal? We have flamebaiting mods, prolific but untouchable trolls, hundreds of posts a day that consist solely of ":lol " or "spaaanuuud" or whatever catch phrase is in vogue at the moment, constant bickering and whining between and among fanboy factions ... Under these conditions, banning anyone at all from GAF is akin to kicking a retarded kid off the short bus.

Top Bottom