• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 announces brand new game in Tokyo today

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Well it's not that difficult to forbid hotlinking from ruliweb. That's the only site I actually have permanently blacklisted on my sites. Their bandwidth usage was just crazy. For some reason they got the point real quick :)

But the people that scan stuff don't have their own servers, what they use are free image and file hosting sites in Japan, meant for Japanese use. When they put scans up and Ruliweb hotlinks them, usually the entire servers get hammered and everyone gets pissed off. It's really inconsiderate of Ruliweb considering they're a commercial site with shitloads of bandwidth for themself.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
But the people that scan stuff don't have their own servers, what they use are free image and file hosting sites in Japan, meant for Japanese use. When they put scans up and Ruliweb hotlinks them, usually the entire servers get hammered and everyone gets pissed off. It's really inconsiderate of Ruliweb considering they're a commercial site with shitloads of bandwidth for themself.
I see. Keep in mind that a lot of the news on Ruliweb are done by their users though. I think the official news done by the ruliweb staff always host the images locally. It's been a long time since I've been there though, so I could be wrong.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
I see. Keep in mind that a lot of the news on Ruliweb are done by their users though. I think the official news done by the ruliweb staff always host the images locally. It's been a long time since I've been there though, so I could be wrong.

Well since no one in Japan can read korean, whatever appears on Ruliweb's front page is their fault! **** Ruliweb! Atom Bomb Korea! :lol

duckroll said:
That's exactly why you don't see many scans these days. 2 minutes after they're up, Ruliweb steals them and often doesn't even bother rehosting on their own servers. There's no in-joke, people are just sick of scan thieves that can't even rehost what they steal.

I see. But the scans were hosted on free image hosting services. Everyone can set a link to the pictures. So ruliweb don't steal someones bandwidth.

But I'm just wondering why Ruliweb is hosting tons of IGN pictures and on the other side they don't host a single japanese scan.

AniHawk

Dark Cloud has soured my opinion on Level 5. Knowing that they really only did the coding on DQVIII didn't help any bit either. I'm not sure what people should be excited about.

duckroll

solarplexus said:
They don't have to understand korean because the first link on Ruliweb says "rulinews/list.htm" and the second "/user_news.htm" ;-)

I would say they don't know english either, but the hateful comments were in english...... but then again looking at how bad the english is.... yeah I think I'll go with them not knowing english either! :lol

duckroll said:
I would say they don't know english either, but the hateful comments were in english...... but then again looking at how bad the english is.... yeah I think I'll go with them not knowing english either! :lol

You are right. Ruliweb is hosting the scans now :lol This is really funny.

http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/ruliboard/read.htm?table=game_nds&page=1&num=10380&main=nds&find=&ftext=

韓国人犯罪者集団ルリウェブ

The guy with the marker should better use this picture and put it in the scans.

I believe Ruliweb understands this kind of language :D

ruliwebatomicbombpf8.jpg

SumGamer

farnhamt@Ruliweb said:
hey NeoGaf guys i just used the Ruliweb servers.. Didnt know this site would cause so much trouble.. Thx for the scans though.. (f U 2ch guy)

So GAF, appology accept? I think he really is sorry.

duckroll

SumGamer said:
So GAF, appology accept? I think he really is sorry.

I don't think he has anything to apologise for to us. Whether the Japanese want to continue scanning Famitsu stuff early is another matter entirely though, and we can't control that. I just personally make sure to always rehost whatever I find, and I encourage others to do the same. That's about all we can do.

duckroll

Okay now back on topic:

- The article makes it clear that Akira is only in-charge of the puzzles specifically. So the game's presentation, story and so on are still Level 5's creations.

- There are "Hint Medals" that you get in the game, and you presumably use these to get hints when stumped on a puzzle.

- The story is supposed to be mysterious and revolves around the entire town. The genre is puzzle/fantasy adventure.

- This looks to be a very comprehensible feature article, of which we're only seeing 1 full page and partials of 2 other pages out of 7 pages.

Mato

level5gamebd1.jpg

The art in this game is out of this world for me. Really dig the concept too. This joins Mother 3 and Tingle in the group of portable games that must be translated in english.

And here I thought it would be another game to push my decision to buy a PS3.

Hmm... looks interesting. Nice art...

Can't say I'll definitely buy this game, but I'll keep an eye on it.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Heh, the maze/town puzzle is easy, but I don't quite get the one about monsters :(

It's a perspective puzzle, where you have to find the real monster. I think it's the tree in the background. ^^;

Mojojo

duckroll said:
It's a perspective puzzle, where you have to find the real monster. I think it's the tree in the background. ^^;

I would say it's the night sky and its outline... if you turn the picture, it looks like a big monster (head with the moon being its eye + clawed paws)

duckroll

Mojojo said:
I would say it's the night sky and its outline... if you turn the picture, it looks like a big monster (head with the moon being its eye + clawed paws)

Argh! You're right! Awesome catch there, they should put up 2 puzzles every week on the site just to keep us busy. :lol

Datschge

They are publishing it themselves since the DS is easy/cheap to develop for and the DS craze makes selling astronomical amounts of units easy after hitting the right formula? Looks good so far. If this succeeds they'll probably stop their reliance on SCE and make some games with sales actually reflecting their high technical abilities.

duckroll

Datschge said:
If this succeeds they'll probably stop their reliance on SCE and make some games with sales actually reflecting their high technical abilities.

I don't think Level 5 wants to spend millions on marketing their own games anytime soon. :p

Datschge said:
If this succeeds they'll probably stop their reliance on SCE and make some games with sales actually reflecting their high technical abilities.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Besides, Level 5's one of the driving forces that's battering down on my resolve to not get a PS3.

neo2046

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Do you mean they'll have a conference for this new game for Nintendo DS ?
the Level 5 conference has announced this new DS game and a new logo for the company
I am not sure if there is any other new stuff will be announced

fda55e67.jpg

duckroll

neo2046 said:
the Level 5 conference has announced this new DS game and a new logo for the company
I am not sure if there is any other new stuff will be announced

fda55e67.jpg

The entire conference was for Layton. There were blogs mentioning the conference yesterday, it's purpose was to unveil Level 5's new game.

Vashu

Looks and sounds great, hope they'll publish the game here in the west too. Or at least get a publisher for this title.

Datschge

duckroll said:
I don't think Level 5 wants to spend millions on marketing their own games anytime soon. :p
I wasn't aware that the successful DS software piece are all backed by millions spent on marketing.
Pureauthor said:
Besides, Level 5's one of the driving forces that's battering down on my resolve to not get a PS3.
With the meager unit shipments in sight for that system Sony better grows some sales legs for their games as well.

Level 5 being able to publish the game themselves is huge as this may well become their largest revenue stream (skipping publisher and all) if they do it perfectly right from the get go (and when was the last time we saw a rather small but prolific developer turn publisher like that?). And if they'll publish more their games will reflect that (Layton would be only the beginning).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom