• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

king zell

Jonnyram said:
Prelim reports saying RW shifted 100k standalone + 10k bundles day one... not so bad after all.

um so this game ain't gonna sell a million copy in Japan ? didn't FF3 sell like 300k first day ?

Gekkonidae said:
The intersting story this week is whether the PS3 slips under 10k. So I want to hear everyone's bets: PS3 over/under 10k.

I'll say over...but I'd love to see how long the thread gets if it isn't.

Gekkonidae said:
The intersting story this week is whether the PS3 slips under 10k. So I want to hear everyone's bets: PS3 over/under 10k.
Over; I'll guess between 10.5k - 11k. A bit of a drop from last week, but still above that magic number.

Gekkonidae said:

I'm still going to be safe by saying "over". It would be quite a legendary thread indeed if it were under. 20+ pages at least.

Lo-Volt

Gekkonidae said:

It's looking really iffy, but I say over. Barely.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Diablos54 said:
Imagine if PS3 stayed above 10k this week, but somehow dropped below 10k on Golden Week? :lol :lol

And was outsold by a DS Lite with kiddy FFXII characters on it that comes with a spinoff FF DS RTS game.

Arde

Banned
Gonna go with under since the best thing they'll show on Golden Week is Madden. :lol
Pretty sure gonna get a lot of potential buyers in JP with that.

Haunted

Knocking 100k sold units in the first week just shows how much the DS has spoiled us concerning sales numbers in Japan. :D

But I didn't knew DQ was so much bigger in Japan than FF (comparing the spin-off sales on the DS, I mean (Joker vs RW)).

Or could that actually be because RW didn't turn out to be as good as expected? I dunno.

test_account

XP-39C²
Alot of PS2 games comming next week :) And finaly when 1 PS3 game come its NFL hehe :\ Probly very popular in USA, but how is it in Japan? Dont think it will sell much console there because of this game.

Kafel said:
Actually, it's first day sales.

Still, FF sales are always tremendously front loaded. I don't think it'll sell out of its shipment this week. (Watch me be wrong.)

What were DQMJ's first day sales again? I think they were much higher.

Rocksteady33

Can someone explain something about Golden Week to me?

People always compare Golden Week to Christmas, but I don't understand that comparison at all. It's not like a billion people go out and buy presents for Christmas *the week of* Christmas, they do it typically in November, and early December, which is why most big budget games are released in that time frame. So why for Golden Week do we expect a billion people to go out and buy presents the week of the holiday? I don't know what Golden Week is celebrating or what they do with, which might help explain this situation, but seriously it just doesn't make sense to me.

Evlar

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
Can someone explain something about Golden Week to me?

People always compare Golden Week to Christmas, but I don't understand that comparison at all. It's not like a billion people go out and buy presents for Christmas *the week of* Christmas, they do it typically in November, and early December, which is why most big budget games are released in that time frame. So why for Golden Week do we expect a billion people to go out and buy presents the week of the holiday? I don't know what Golden Week is celebrating or what they do with, which might help explain this situation, but seriously it just doesn't make sense to me.
It's not like Christmas at all. It's more like if (assuming you're American) Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving all happened within eight days of each other. Everyone takes a week vacation, kids are home bored, young adults and college students have more time on their hands than usual, so they buy entertainment products.

You know how Memorial Day is one of the biggest weekends of the year for movies because everyone has an extra day off? Golden Week is like that, but a whole week.

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:
Well obviously, the knew the company behind it from day 1.

Actually I'd attribute the lower sales entirely to the genre being RTS.
Look how bad HoM bombed and Grim Grimore bombed.

Japanese gamers don't want console RTS! They don't want A-RPGs either (unless they have Disney in them)! They also don't want S-RPGS all that much (just a little)! They just want TURN-BASED RPGS.

Yet, the heads of these companies are like "hey, why don't we NOT make a turn-based rpg with our rpg franchise!"

Evlar

Banned
Bebpo said:
Actually I'd attribute the lower sales entirely to the genre being RTS.
Look how bad HoM bombed and Grim Grimore bombed.

Japanese gamers don't want console RTS! They don't want A-RPGs either (unless they have Disney in them)! They also don't want S-RPGS all that much (just a little)! They just want TURN-BASED RPGS.

Yet, the heads of these companies are like "hey, why don't we NOT make a turn-based rpg with our rpg franchise!"

Incidentally, DQIX is now completely turn-based.

birdchili

Miniboss1232 said:
I'm really glad they got wise about this. DQ is starting to become the last bastion of turn-based RPG-ness in the world.

not really... it's becoming the last bastion of high-production-values turn-based rpgs though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
For some reason the western audience don't Turn-Based RPGs in very good light anymore, even console gamers here in the west. With the changes going on in the game industry over the past 2-3 years obviously the developers want their games to have more worldwide appeal, so they've been making aRPGs as of late. I think we'll see a good mix of both this generation, my personal hope is that we'll see more Grandia-like battle systems this generation. :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Sphinx said:
Incidentally, DQIX is now completely turn-based.

We all saw the pics, but was there more that I missed that would lead you to say such a confidently assertive statement?

I want to believe...but are you just going off of the pics or something more concrete?

Evlar

Banned
PantherLotus said:
We all saw the pics, but was there more that I missed that would lead you to say such a confidently assertive statement?

I want to believe...but are you just going off of the pics or something more concrete?
I'm just going by the translation of the captions posted here on GAF. I don't have any info beyond that.

Evlar

Banned
PantherLotus said:
So how is it "COMPLETELY TURN BASED?"
:shrug: Don't grill me. I don't speak Japanese, there's no way I'm going to know more than what's been posted here. I think it looks pretty confirmed given the pics and captions. If you think there's room for doubt, cool. I'm in no position to argue with you.

It sucks so bad that RW is just an RTS. I was led to believe that it was a full fledged RPG all along.

**** you and your false propaganda SE. :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Chris Michael said:
It sucks so bad that RW is just an RTS. I was led to believe that it was a full fledged RPG all along.

**** you and your false propaganda SE. :(
You still haven't taken ethelred's advice? BTW, I bet it's better than M&L2.

CaVaYeRo

Filter said:
Jesus that's a grim graph, I didn't realise sales were sliding on an almost perfectly straight line like that.
I'm sorry but I have to post my stupid gif again.
expensive_taste.gif

not his problem anymore.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Sphinx said:
:shrug: Don't grill me. I don't speak Japanese, there's no way I'm going to know more than what's been posted here. I think it looks pretty confirmed given the pics and captions. If you think there's room for doubt, cool. I'm in no position to argue with you.

Sorry Sphinx. I just saw everyone jump on the bandwagon of "ITS TURNBASED!" without really hearing from the developers at all. The pictures are certainly convincing, though, I'll give you that.

I'm just setting my expectations low.

Tf53

Any early HW numbers or should I head to slumberland before returning to see if GAF has gone totally bonkers?

Top Bottom