• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/28 - 5/4

manueldelalas said:
Well, most 3rd parties put only shovelware on the Wii...

But the case of MH is different, because the game is being developed on the two consoles simultaneously. So it is not a port. And yes, there have been many games made simultaneously (God, I hate to write that word...) for the Wii and PSP.
Are there any confirmation that it is being developed on the PSP as well?

History backs you up, but there's been no official word so my point still stands that most stuff developed primarily on the Wii do not get ported to the PSP.

Vinnk

Hammer24 said:
So what are you expecting, from your experience?
I just can´t make up my mind. On one side, MGS has never been that big in Japan, and the PS3 is anaemic - but on the other hand there is this hardcore fanbase.

Really I can't predict accurately right now without knowing what kind of advertising budget this game is going to have. Thats why I rarely make predictions until right before a game comes out, but I would say that it should sell through the number of bundles they produce in about 3 weeks with the lions share being sold the first week.

There are 3 things I am currently considering:

1. The game itself might sell better than the previous Metal Gear titles because there isn't much competition on the PS3 right now. Big fish, small pond you know? So that's kind of a plus for MGS4.

2. However, the 40GB system is not what a lot of hardcore gamers want. Look at the prices on yahoo auctions Japan for a 60GB model. That is what the Otaku want. So I don't know how many of them are going to jump at that system. The core gamers who are buying this probably have a system already anyway.

3. But as I said, the diehards will by this bundle just for collectors value. I already know one person who is doing just that.

So it's really hard to say which way this will go. The only thing I can say for certain is it will sell a lot of units for a PS3 game but it won't "turn the tide" unless there are several more titles of its caliber waiting in the wings to be release directly after it.

Vinnk

Starchasing said:
Seems like they are playing MH

I have not seen a kid playing a game other than Monster Hunter on a PSP in more than 4 months. Not that I see too many kids bringing their PSPs to gameshops, but when I do, that is the ONLY game I see. I saw a middle aged man playing Minna no Golf, but other than that it's all Monster Hunter all the time.

Hammer24

Banned
Vinnk said:
1. The game itself might sell better than the previous Metal Gear titles because there isn't much competition on the PS3 right now. Big fish, small pond you know? So that's kind of a plus for MGS4.

I still think its safe to assume, that it wont break the 400k barrier. So probably the question is, how many of those will pick up the bundle? 10%? 40k would be a nice bump over current numbers.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
titiklabingapat said:
Is there any confirmation that it is being developed on the PSP as well?

**Looks at sales of MHP, MHP2, MH2PG; MHP2G>MHP2>MHP; Deduces that MHP3>MHP2G**

Yes it is coming to PSP.

manueldelalas said:
**Looks at sales of MHP, MHP2, MH2PG; MHP2G>MHP2>MHP; Deduces that MHP3>MHP2G**

Yes it is coming to PSP.
Look, no one expected the MH3 exclusivity either. We don't know the extent of this exclusivity.

Yet.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Vinnk said:
I have not seen a kid playing a game other than Monster Hunter on a PSP in more than 4 months. Not that I see too many kids bringing their PSPs to gameshops, but when I do, that is the ONLY game I see. I saw a middle aged man playing Minna no Golf, but other than that it's all Monster Hunter all the time.
Curious but do you ever see people playing PS1 stuff (whether ripped or from PSN). I actually saw someone play English version of FF8 they other day on train(this is in Korea though), he even had the Walkthrough setup into Popstation document file for quick access :p

Vinnk

Fafalada said:
Curious but do you ever see people playing PS1 stuff (whether ripped or from PSN). I actually saw someone play English version of FF8 they other day on train(this is in Korea though), he even had the Walkthrough setup into Popstation document file for quick access :p

Nothing but Monster Hunter recently. Before that lots of different stuff (though still mostly Monster Hunter). I haven't seen PS1 stuff, but I used to see some of the local Otaku playing Super Famicom games on it.

Hammer24 said:
So what would you expect for MGS launch week? More than 25k?
A good amount more, 50k+. It all depends on how many fans of the MGS series already have a PS3 and the ad campaign of course. Plus I'm really bad at predicting numbers.

slaughterking said:
Im pretty confident a silver PS3 already launched together with Yakuza 3 - without a huge impact on sales.
That was a limited offer I think. Do they add the silver one permanently now?

jarrod

Banned
manueldelalas said:
So, how do you explain that many PSP and PS2 games released are also coming to the Wii?

I'll tell you. Porting to the Wii from PS2 is the same as porting to the Gamecube from the PS2.
And porting from the PS2 to PSP, is a really easy process, a thing you can tell from the many ports that are on the PSP from games that were on PS2.
By association making a game simultaneously for Wii and PSP is very easy, because most developers have those tools, because the process is mainly the same they did last generation.
Further proof is found in the fact that many PSP games end on the Wii and many Wii games get ported to the PSP. This doesn't happen between the PSP and any other next gen console.
QED.

But you are right, because I forgot the Nintendo megaton announcement when saying MH was a Wii exclusive. In any case I do believe that the ease to make a game simultaneously for Wii and PSP was the thing that ultimately triggered the decision to make it for the Wii instead of PS3.

Capcom makes one game, sells two.
I'm not saying MH3 won't arrive on PSP in some form, I think that's a given at this point. I'm saying the Conspiiracy Theory is largely bunk though... the reason it's on Wii is due to NCL moneyhats, Wii's popularity and PS3's lack of popularity primariliy. Obviously there's less of a step between Wii/PSP than there would be PS3/PSP, but come on... if Nintendo had shown no interest in the title and Wii/PS3 sales were reversed, do you really think MH3 would've been moved?

As for the port down itself, well there's actually more dual SKU's between 360 and PSP than Wii and PSP at the moment. I actually can't think of *any* JP made games that are on both Wii and PSP either yet bar Puyo Puyo 15th (which is also on PS2 and DS).

titiklabingapat said:
I've seen many a shovelware ported from the PSP to the Wii, but rarely have I seen a game developed on the Wii first(or was exclusive) ported to the PSP, which I suspect is a result of marketforces.

It is far easier to port an existing shovelware game from an almost dead platform(hardware and software, worldwide and before PSP hardware got revived in Japan) to a successful console that blindsided you than vice versa. Publishers have not been very kind to the PSP lately when it comes to multiplatform releases.

But who knows, this is Monster Hunter after all. A series that defined the PSP(and Capcom's current cashcow) in Japan so it probably is one of those rare exceptions.

How many shovelwares have been ported from PSP to Wii? Name some.

You called PSP a "dead" platform, right now in Japan, when it has the highest YTD and the best selling game in 08 so far?

Any attempts to dismiss the possibility of a PSP port (no matter it's a MH3 Wii port or simply a somewhat original MHP3) at this point is hilarious.

Too much jokes in your post :lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bebpo said:
Did you guys see official GT5p sales are at 270k?
And 550k in US. Looks like it's comfortably outselling all previous GT Demos (even all Concepts combined) - on much lower userbase to boot.

Asia numbers are odd though - I know for a fact GT3 was over 100k in Korea, yet the chart has it at 10k.

jarrod

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
Puyo 15th is the only JP made game I think of... but then that was a DS game first.

For western stuff there's POP:WW, Alien Syndrome, Death Jr. 2, MOH Heroes 2 and a ton more...

jrricky

Banned
AnimeTheme said:

You called PSP a "dead" platform, right now in Japan, when it has the highest YTD and the best selling game in 08 so far?

Any attempts to dismiss the possibility of a PSP port (no matter it's a MH3 Wii port or simply a somewhat original MHP3) at this point is hilarious.

Too much jokes in your post :lol
PSP WILL NOT get Monster Hunter 3. (pay attention to the key words i.e. Monster Hunter 3 and will not).

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
And 550k in US. Looks like it's comfortably outselling all previous GT Demos (even all Concepts combined) - on much lower userbase to boot.
To be fair, it's also the first one to get worldwide release. :p

And it's severly undertracking GT4P in Japan... once again, thank goodness for Sonyland (and bundles). :lol

jrricky said:
PSP WILL NOT get Monster Hunter 3. (pay attention to the key words i.e. Monster Hunter 3 and will not).
Yeah... it'll get Monster Hunter 3rd Portable. ;)

Jonnyram

Fafalada said:
GT4 prologue sold 750k in Japan alone.

slaughterking said:
Im pretty confident a silver PS3 already launched together with Yakuza 3 - without a huge impact on sales.

wow you are right i never knew that. i looked it up though and it turns out that the Yakuza bundle was limited to only 10,000/1000 (2 sources saying different things) consoles =). it looks like sony was testing the waters to see how popular a silver ps3 would be.

it looks like Monster Hunter 3 portable is all but confirmed. Capcom can't turn down money like that.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jonnyram said:
GT4 prologue sold 750k in Japan alone.
And GT5P sold more then GT4P WW total In Europe alone.

jarrod said:
And it's severly undertracking GT4P in Japan... once again, thank goodness for Sonyland (and bundles). :lol
The question is whether Jpn just smarted out to not buying ...prologues, or the market is just plain rejecting this series as well now. Though the userbase difference was still a lot bigger then SW LTD - maybe GT in Japan just doesn't sell to core gamers that much.

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
Yeah, Europe really saved it... though I suspect the majority of sales were likely bundled. Still, a pretty amazing show for EU.

Fafalada said:
The question is whether Jpn just smarted out to not buying ...prologues, or the market is just plain rejecting this series as well now. Though the userbase difference was still a lot bigger then SW LTD - maybe GT in Japan just doesn't sell to core gamers that much.
Given the comparable declines for basically every other PS3 legacy release (bar DMC4, bizarrely) I think we can safely say it probably follows in line with the general trend of Japanese rejection of PlayStation gaming this cycle.

Fafalada said:

It did? Interesting. Do you have the numbers, possibly broken up between the different countries?

Jokeropia

gconsole said:
The only thing that prevent MH from being Pokemon of PSP is its zero popularity in the west. I can imagine MH sale at the same level as Pokemon in japan if it release something like MH red, MH blue, etc. You see how this sequel sale

MH 2 - 0.6 M
MH 2P - 1.7 M
MH 2PG - 1.9 M

~ 4.2 M

That's crazy number.
MH2, MHP2 and MHP2G are all different games (MH2 is even on a different platform), Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are not. Despite this, Pokemon D/P has sold more than all those three MH games combined.

Monster Hunter is nowhere near Pokemon in Japan.

iidesuyo

Phife Dawg said:
It did? Interesting. Do you have the numbers, possibly broken up between the different countries?

14e9bnk.jpg

I tried to get a PS3 + GT5P bundle this weekend, but it was sold out everywhere. Had to buy the standalone version for 40€ :-(

iidesuyo said:
http://i31.tinypic.com/14e9bnk.jpg

I tried to get a PS3 + GT5P bundle this weekend, but it was sold out everywhere. Had to buy the standalone version for 40€ :-(
That's shipments though :(.

And yeah, GT is crazy over here (you're from Germany too, right?).

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: At 76 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.3 weeks (June 27, 2000), where PSP was at 49.1 weeks (November 13, 2005), where GCN was at 69.3 weeks (January 7, 2003), and where Wii was at 18.9 weeks (April 7, 2007).

Wii comparisons: At 73 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 74.0 weeks (August 17, 2002), where DS was at 61.0 weeks (January 29, 2006), where PS2 was at 93.8 weeks (December 14, 2001), and where PSP was at 142.8 weeks (August 31, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 34.2 / 65.8, bringing the total shares to 71.0 / 29.0. At this week's rate PSP catches up to DS in 274.6 weeks (August 8, 2013). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 131.5 weeks (November 11, 2010).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 12.5 / 87.5, bringing the total shares to 25.6 / 74.4. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 382.5 weeks (September 3, 2015).

Terrell

manueldelalas said:
So, how do you explain that many PSP and PS2 games released are also coming to the Wii?
Lazy Western developers trying to get a piece of the pie way too late?
PS2 games are being ported to Wii, yes, but if you're naive enough to think any of those PS2 ports from Japanese studios could be ported to PSP, as well, you live in fantasy. The only PSP ports I see are from Western studios.

Besides, this "they want to port it to PSP" shit is only supportable if PSP is still a sustainable platform for the franchise by the time MH3 hits the Wii... and for all we know, there may be a new Nintendo portable by then, if we're talking hypotheticals with no foundation.

Shiggy

Phife Dawg said:
And yeah, GT is crazy over here (you're from Germany too, right?).

I'm not sure, but some people at retailers really wanted to tell me that GT5:p is the new GT5...
Nevertheless, the series is quite big over here.

beef3483

Why in the hell do people think they would port over Monster Hunter 3, when they already have a dedicated brand in Monster Hunter Portable? I would think the brand distinction is for more than just shits and giggles.

All this "port" crap just reads like sour grapes to me.

test_account

XP-39C²
About the GT4P VS GT5P, dont forget that GT4P were cheaper than GT5P. If i remember correctly, GT4P was like 2000 Yen cheaper, that is almost $20. Who knows how much GT5P would sell if it was at the same price point (the interest for PS3 is fairly low in Japan though, but i think it would be a more interesting comparison if both GT4P and GT5P had the same price point. I guess several of people dropped to buy GT5P just because of the price, not only because the lack of interest for the PS3, but who knows).

Terrell

beef3483 said:
Why in the hell do people think they would port over Monster Hunter 3, when they already have a dedicated brand in Monster Hunter Portable? I would think the brand distinction is for more than just shits and giggles.

All this "port" crap just reads like sour grapes to me.
Well, it IS sour grapes in a way, but the reason is that the Portable games were just asset-rips from the PS2 games. Features are different, but the content is very similar.

blitz64

I miss patherlotus's charts. I know he is banned but when is he coming back? I want to compare last year numbers for wii and ps3.

RobertM

iidesuyo said:
14e9bnk.jpg

Japan losing interest in GT over the years...

MH is like digital crack, unstoppable.

blitz64 said:
I miss patherlotus's charts. I know he is banned but when is he coming back? I want to compare last year numbers for wii and ps3.

Here you go.

PantherLotus said:
mc-weekly-pie-75.jpg

mc-weekly-line-75.jpg

This is the Wii:pS3 ratio over the past 6 weeks:
==========
Lifetime: 2.91 (+.02 for the week)

mc-marketshare-pie-75.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-75.jpg

Market Share Gains & Losses:
[ ] 360: - 0.05
[ ] PS3: - 0.12
[ ] Wii: + 0.16

If this week repeated forever:
[ ] The Wii would reach 70.00% on 05-25-08
[ ] The PS3 would fall to 23.00% by 07-06-08
[ ] The 360 would fall to 6.00% by 08-24-08

mc-LTD-75.jpg

mc-wii-lead-75.jpg

mc-extremelyclose-75.jpg

mc-extremelyclose-YOY-75.jpg

Year-on-year tracking
Wii: -141510
PS3: -24209

charted-titles-75.jpg

Notes and Next Week's Expectations

PL-MC-estimates-75.jpg

Wii:
Expected: 63.5k
Actual: 71.5k

This week: within 7k. "Nailed it" comes to mind.
Next Week: 64.3k -- another high week or just over-estimating again?

PS3:
Expected: 11.2k
Actual: 10.2

This week: within 1k. Too easy, honestly.
Next Week: 8.5k -- book it!

360:
Expected: 2.5k
Actual: 1.7k

This week: within .8k.
Next Week: 1.6k

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
blitz64 said:

June 2nd is the day his ban runs out, BTW.

speculawyer said:
I thought there were getting GTA IV in Japan too? I guess not.
Looks like it was a worldwide-except-Japan release.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868751p1.html
April 22, 2008 - Capcom Japan announced today that it will serve as publisher for the Japanese version of Grand Theft Auto IV. The game, both in its Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 incarnations, will be released on the island nation some time this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Error said:
What was Capcom's last 2 million seller in Japan?

RE2 was, as far as I know, Capcom's only 2 million seller in Japan. Standard quid pro quo: I don't have much NES/SNES data.

Stumpokapow said:
RE2 was, as far as I know, Capcom's only 2 million seller in Japan. Standard quid pro quo: I don't have much NES/SNES data.
Street Fighter 2 managed 2.880.000 units on the SNES.
Resident Evil 2 also sold over this mark, as you said, with 2.154.975 units.
Street Fighter Turbo managed 2.100.000 units on the SNES.

MHP2ndG will be the 4th game in this list. :D

Hammer24 said:
I still think its safe to assume, that it wont break the 400k barrier. So probably the question is, how many of those will pick up the bundle? 10%? 40k would be a nice bump over current numbers.

Who holds the record for best selling JPN PS3 game right now... Hot Shot's Golf?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OldJadedGamer said:
Who holds the record for best selling JPN PS3 game right now... Hot Shot's Golf?

Hot Shots Golf at 385k, followed by Dynasty Warriors 6 at 355k, followed by Dynasty Warriors Gundam at 310k.

In case you're curious about anything else, you can look up this info for any recent console at http://www.japan-gamecharts.com, run by GAFfer Moor Angol.

donny2112

People claiming that the greater ease of a PSP port is the real reason MH3 was moved from the PS3 to the Wii are just trying to do a very poorly thought out stealth troll. Here's a handy chart.

WII >= XBX > GCN >> PS2 >= PSP

Is it easier to port from the Wii to the PSP than from the PS3 to the PSP? Obviously.
Does anyone thinking that was the real reason behind the move from PS3 to Wii have "issues"? Obviously.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
donny2112 said:
People claiming that the greater ease of a PSP port is the real reason MH3 was moved from the PS3 to the Wii are just trying to do a very poorly thought out stealth troll. Here's a handy chart.

WII >= XBX > GCN >> PS2 >= PSP

Is it easier to port from the Wii to the PSP than from the PS3 to the PSP? Obviously.
Does anyone thinking that was the real reason behind the move from PS3 to Wii have "issues"? Obviously.

There's never a full reason, but I think this was a decisive factor.

There are many reasons.
Wii sells much better and has 70% of the console userbase in Japan (where 90% of he MH fanbase is by the way... like DQ).
Moneyhat by Nintendo or some sort of exclusive deal like making DS Zelda games (make this happen =P).
Ease to make a simultaneous game for Wii and PSP. If Capcom made MH3 for PS3 or XBX360, they would have to make another separately MH game for PSP (portable machine that the MH fanbase has), so they make two full games. If they make it for Wii; maybe they can't port it as is, but they can reuse assets and many other things, and make 1.5 games instead of two.

Stealth troll?? why? who am I trolling? Wii? PS3? PSP? DS? I don't understand...

Top Bottom