• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/28 - 5/4

Eteric Rice

I don't know, Nintendo probably secured it for a long time. I doubt Nintendo would just let them put it on the PSP a month later.

Maybe a year later or something.

donny2112

manueldelalas said:
Stealth troll?? why? who am I trolling? Wii? PS3? PSP? DS? I don't understand...

Saying that the game was made for the Wii instead of the PS3 because it can be co-developed with the PSP version is trying to say that the Wii and the PSP are about equal in power. The handy chart posted previously can help correct that mistaken idea. If you're honestly not trying to say that the PSP and Wii are about equal in power, you'll be the first person I've seen on these boards make a PSP <-> Wii port remark without trying to pull a "stealth" troll. ;)

Eteric Rice said:
I don't know, Nintendo probably secured it for a long time. I doubt Nintendo would just let them put it on the PSP a month later.

Could shape up like this:

2009 - Wii MH3
2010 - MHP3

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
donny2112 said:
Saying that the game was made for the Wii instead of the PS3 because it can be co-developed with the PSP version is trying to say that the Wii and the PSP are about equal in power. The handy chart posted previously can help correct that mistaken idea. If you're honestly not trying to say that the PSP and Wii are about equal in power, you'll be the first person I've seen on these boards make a PSP <-> Wii port remark without trying to pull a "stealth" troll. ;)

Could shape up like this:

2009 - Wii MH3
2010 - MHP3

I've never said that. The Wii is 2 times more powerful than the GC which was more powerful than the PS2 that is superior to the PSP.

I'm saying that it's possible and much cheaper to make a game for both the Wii and PSP than a game for both PS3 or 360 and PSP. This and that you can make a game for the Wii and port it to PSP with ease, if the game was thought that way in the making (and I think this is the logical case of MH).

And the only next gen console I'll buy is the Wii (aside from DS =P) because the games on it appeal the most to me (many say I'm a Nintendo fanboy =P).

donny2112

manueldelalas said:
I've never said that. The Wii is 2 times more powerful than the GC which was more powerful than the PS2 that is superior to the PSP.

Then you're the first I've read make that comment without intending it as a troll. Very refreshing. Thanks for clearing me up on that. :)

jeremy1456

I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if the PSP got an exclusive new Monster Hunter that's not called Monster Hunter 3.

Terrell

manueldelalas said:

I'm saying that it's possible and much cheaper to make a game for both the Wii and PSP than a game for both PS3 or 360 and PSP. This and that you can make a game for the Wii and port it to PSP with ease, if the game was thought that way in the making (and I think this is the logical case of MH).

And the only next gen console I'll buy is the Wii (aside from DS =P) because the games on it appeal the most to me (many say I'm a Nintendo fanboy =P).
The problem with this is that it implies that Capcom is not designing the game to the Wii's strengths, essentially crippling it INTENTIONALLY. This is where the real "stealth troll" commentary comes in, not that I believe it is YOUR intention, but it is usually the intention of all others who make this assumption.

Innotech

Banned
Terrell said:
The problem with this is that it implies that Capcom is not designing the game to the Wii's strengths, essentially crippling it INTENTIONALLY. This is where the real "stealth troll" commentary comes in, not that I believe it is YOUR intention, but it is usually the intention of all others who make this assumption.
he may also mean it could be designed in a modular scalable fashion, like the new sonic game is. From the wii, it could be downscaled and modulated to work on the PSP. I dont really see an issue with this as the two platforms are vastly different to the point where a MH fan might even buy both systems to play the games. the wii may not be the most powerful console but it is capable of a grand scale MH experience that could not quite be accomplished on the PSP for various reasons. But a similar enough game could be downported rather cheaply if it is designed to be scalable.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
By the way, what is the difference between MHP2 and MHP2G?

I don't understand why MHP2G outsold so easily MHP2, if it is just an expansion that came a year later...

kassatsu

Banned
manueldelalas said:
By the way, what is the difference between MHP2 and MHP2G?

I don't understand why MHP2G outsold so easily MHP2, if it is just an expansion that came a year later...
All the content of MHP2 + all the new stuff.

cvxfreak

I attribute the superior sales of G to the original version to these factors:

1. The original MHP2nd had long legs that actually became more prominent even after the TGS07 announcement of G. The game was selling a nearly-fixed amount every week, which meant that each week, new fans were buying into the MHP series.

2. The MH fanbase is quite dedicated, and enjoys the game enough to buy the expansion pack. Therefore, a grand majority of the original have upgraded to G.

3. As Joshua mentioned, increased PSP userbase (thanks to the Slim, CCFFVII and the holidays).

4. Put the above three together.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
cvxfreak said:
I attribute the superior sales of G to the original version to these factors:

1. The original MHP2nd had long legs that actually became more prominent even after the TGS07 announcement of G. The game was selling a nearly-fixed amount every week, which meant that each week, new fans were buying into the MHP series.

2. The MH fanbase is quite dedicated, and enjoys the game enough to buy the expansion pack. Therefore, a grand majority of the original have upgraded to G.

3. As Joshua mentioned, increased PSP userbase (thanks to the Slim, CCFFVII and the holidays).

4. Put the above three together.

Thanks, so MHPG series is like Pokemon Yellow, Crystal and Emerald. They fix issues of the original game, add new features, adds value and serves as a bridge to the next game, so the hype doesn't die and the fanbase is happy.

My addiction to the first PS2 and PSP iterations of Monster Hunter was incredibly time consuming but i always reached a point were my advancement in the game came to a screeching halt because of the neccessity of playing with others to kill harder stuff (over and over again). It was hard stopping myself from buying Freedom 2 because i knew i would hit that wall eventually. The PSP games desperatly need online play.

gconsole

Jokeropia said:
MH2, MHP2 and MHP2G are all different games (MH2 is even on a different platform), Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are not. Despite this, Pokemon D/P has sold more than all those three MH games combined.

Monster Hunter is nowhere near Pokemon in Japan.

What different do you mean? So it's not base from the last one at all. MHP2 is not based anything from MH2 and MHP2G is not based anything from MHP2 at all?

kassatsu

Banned
gconsole said:
What different do you mean? So it's not base from the last one at all. MHP2 is not based anything from MH2 and MHP2G is not based anything from MHP2 at all?
Once again.

MHP2G: All the content of MHP2 + all the new stuff.

So paying attention to the Famitsu numbers which are even more behind than usual at the moment, I guess I missed it, but Mario Kart Wii has passed up Super Circuit and Double Dash.

The-Switcher said:
It's probably in a dark corner, wondering where the FUCK it's sequel is.
Hey, it even took the original SMB 3 years to get a non-quickie sequel.
Mr. Pointy said:
Anyone think the Wii will crack 6 million next week or will it level to 40-50k again?
Well I certainly can't think of a good reason for the sales to increase by the few thousand necessary to hit 6 million.

D.Lo

donny2112 said:
People claiming that the greater ease of a PSP port is the real reason MH3 was moved from the PS3 to the Wii are just trying to do a very poorly thought out stealth troll. Here's a handy chart.

WII >= XBX > GCN >> PS2 >= PSP

Is it easier to port from the Wii to the PSP than from the PS3 to the PSP? Obviously.
Does anyone thinking that was the real reason behind the move from PS3 to Wii have "issues"? Obviously.
Totally agree with your point, but I think you're being too generous. The GameCube was arguably technically more powerful then the Xbox, its just that no-one used that power except Factor 5 (Rebel Strike had the highest in-game poly count of any game last gen by at least 2 million, fully bump mapped at 60fps), and maybe Capcom in RE4.

Also, PSP to PS2 ports have shown that the PSP is by no means equal in power to the PS2 (Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is an identical port to PS2 and looks like rubbish). PSP can't even run 60fps Dreamcast games at half the resolution smoothly. Monster Hunter is another example, it looked much better on PS2.

So really Wii >> GCN >= Xbox > PS2 >> PSP.

It's utterly ridiculous to think they put MH3 on Wii for 'ease of porting'. MHP has really only taken off to crazy levels AFTER the announcement was made last October - MHP2 was about a million at that point, very good but not insanely good.

It seems to me the basis of this argument is 'many Wii games look as bad as PSP games, therefore they're in the same ballpark technically', when we all know many Wii games look like crap because they're shovelware and rush-job ports of PS2 games that weren't even that good to begin with.

Whoever decided to ink the MH3 deal at Nintendo must be smirking big time right now, especially if it includes something like a full year of franchise exclusivity. At the time they signed for a 'big' game, but since then it's become a huge game. They bought medium and will cash sky high.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
D.Lo said:
PSP is by no means equal in power to the PS2
You're right, it's not.
But then again, GC is nowhere near XBox either.

Except for people that like to be in denial of course.

Yeah, especially if Monster Hunter takes off on the Wii, it could mark as one of those, "damn, they did good" moments for Nintendo.

Monster Hunter has proved to be quite the system seller(on portables).

gtj1092

D.Lo said:
Totally agree with your point, but I think you're being too generous. The GameCube was arguably technically more powerful then the Xbox, its just that no-one used that power except Factor 5 (Rebel Strike had the highest in-game poly count of any game last gen by at least 2 million, fully bump mapped at 60fps), and maybe Capcom in RE4.

Also, PSP to PS2 ports have shown that the PSP is by no means equal in power to the PS2 (Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is an identical port to PS2 and looks like rubbish). PSP can't even run 60fps Dreamcast games at half the resolution smoothly. Monster Hunter is another example, it looked much better on PS2.

So really Wii >> GCN >= Xbox > PS2 >> PSP.

It's utterly ridiculous to think they put MH3 on Wii for 'ease of porting'. MHP has really only taken off to crazy levels AFTER the announcement was made last October - MHP2 was about a million at that point, very good but not insanely good.

It seems to me the basis of this argument is 'many Wii games look as bad as PSP games, therefore they're in the same ballpark technically', when we all know many Wii games look like crap because they're shovelware and rush-job ports of PS2 games that weren't even that good to begin with.

Whoever decided to ink the MH3 deal at Nintendo must be smirking big time right now, especially if it includes something like a full year of franchise exclusivity. At the time they signed for a 'big' game, but since then it's become a huge game. They bought medium and will cash sky high.

But in the end it doesn't matter that Wii is more powerful than PsP or Ps2 because developers are still going to share development resources between Wii and Ps2/PsP. Developers only see it as that the gap between Ps360 and Wii is greater than the gap between Ps2 and Wii. So they are going to group their resources in those two console groups to maximize their budget.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
gtj1092 said:
But in the end it doesn't matter that Wii is more powerful than PsP or Ps2 because developers are still going to share development resources between Wii and Ps2/PsP. Developers only see it as that the gap between Ps360 and Wii is greater than the gap between Ps2 and Wii. So they are going to group their resources in those two console groups to maximize their budget.

Just w8 till they release MH TRI ......

jarrod

Banned
gtj1092 said:
Only so long as PSP/PS2 remain viable... for MH3, PSP obviously still makes sense thanks to JP sales, but we're seeing more and more multiformat games conspicuously skip the platform these days (especially in the west).

Also, games developed ground up around Wii's interface might present some porting problems... MH3's portability really hinges on how tailored it is to Wii, both in terms of interface and visuals.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PSP might get an MH 2H,X Y Super Ultra or anything like that. But not MH TRI if Nintendo paid money for it and the Game is a ground-up wii game.

jarrod

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
PSP might get an MH 2H,X Y Super Ultra or anything like that. But not MH TRI if Nintendo paid money for it and the Game is a ground-up wii game.
I wouldn't rule out a conversion... maybe some repeated assets and level/monster/item designs, but using the old (downgraded) MHP interface/engine and called MH3rdP. I'd also expect a decent Wii exclusivity window of 6-12 months (which is all moneyhats *really* get you these days).

People like to downplay Wii's tech advantage, but it really is quite a leap over PSP and the current PSP Monster Hunters are already a noticeable step down from the PS2 originals in terms of texturing and geometry. I mean, obviously they can downconvert (and far easier than it would be for a HD game, which would need basically all new texture/model assets) but hey, Capcom could probably get RE4 running on Dreamcast too... doesn't mean it'd be close though.

Jokeropia

gconsole said:
What different do you mean?
Different enough to warrant the purchase of both for most people. Only the most hardcore fans buy both versions of a Pokemon release since the difference in content is very small and someone with one version can get access to the content in the other version by simply knowing someone who has it.

A better analogy for MHP2G would be if Nintendo eventually releases a third enhanced DS Pokemon version like they did with for example Pokemon Emerald on the GBA.

Defuser

cw_sasuke said:
*facepalm* Console MH and handheld MH are 2 different things. That because Ninty paid an exclusive for it doesn't mean capcom can't make MHP3 based on it or having similarities.There are ways around it,it doesn't have to be a conversion/port.

donny2112

Fafalada said:
But then again, GC is nowhere near XBox either.

Aaaannnddd... you're wrong. GCN was the most efficient video game console for video games last generation. On specs, Xbox was more than a little above the GCN. On actual performance, it was only just a little. I would suggest finding the anandtech technical breakdown of the PS2, GCN, and XBX from last generation before you spout more nonsense. ;)

gtj1092 said:

Aaaannnddd... here would be a prime example of a poorly thought out troll when talking about PSP <-> Wii ports. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Aaaannnddd... here would be a prime example of a poorly thought out troll when talking about PSP <-> Wii ports.

It's gtj1092. The only reason why he hasn't yet been punished for his neverending trolling is because he doesn't have an avatar so he slips below the radar.

Opiate

Hold on now, I may be able to make a reasonable argument out of the PSP <-> Wii thing. Not on the basis of actual hardware specs (clearly the Wii is more powerful), but on the basis of economics.

I believe that porting a Wii game to the 360/PS3 is not an economically viable move, because "okay" graphics on the Wii would be "terrible" graphics on the PS360, and precisely because the PS360 machines have been marketed for their high tech and graphical power, games with poor graphics are going to tend to sell poorly to that particular audience. In reverse, I think porting 360/PS3 games down isn't very economic, either, as it would require an almost complete graphical overhaul. It likely would make more fiscal sense to simply make a new game in many cases.

By comparison, the PSP and Wii are close enough in technical power (not exact, again, but close enough) that ports will not be immediately rejected based on graphical appearance alone by either audience (in addition, precisely because the Wii has been sold as a family friendly device, games with low end graphics aren't as immediately rejected by the Wii audience as they would be by the PS360 one). Therefore, it's easier to imagine a PSP -> Wii or Wii->PSP port being a profitable venture than it is a PS360->Wii or Wii->PS360 port.

Is that wrong? Please correct me if so, it certainly isn't intended to be a troll attempt.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Opiate said:
Hold on now, I may be able to make a reasonable argument out of the PSP <-> Wii thing. Not on the basis of actual hardware specs (clearly the Wii is more powerful), but on the basis of economics.

I believe that porting a Wii game to the 360/PS3 is not an economically viable move, because "okay" graphics on the Wii would be "terrible" graphics on the PS360, and precisely because the PS360 machines have been marketed for their high tech and graphical power, games with poor graphics are going to tend to sell poorly. In reverse, I think porting 360/PS3 games down isn't very economic, either, as it would require an almost complete graphical overhaul. It likely would make more fiscal sense to simply make a new game in many cases.

By comparison, the PSP and Wii are close enough in technical power (not exact, again, but close enough) that ports will not be immediately rejected based on graphical appearance alone by either audience (in addition, precisely because the Wii has been sold as a family friendly device, games with low end graphics aren't as immediately rejected by the Wii audience as they would be by the PS360 one). Therefore, it's easier to imagine a PSP -> Wii or Wii->PSP port being a profitable venture than it is a PS360->Wii or Wii->PS360 port.

Is that wrong? Please correct me if so, it certainly isn't intended to be a troll attempt.

No, good post. Myself and many others said when the damn thing was announced that moving to Wii meant there would probably be a PSP version in the future. It's not trolling..its just reality.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pureauthor said:
I think the issue in question is whether Capcom's primary motivation for MH3Wii was so it could get a PSP port.

I don't think it was the primary motivation, but I imagine it made the decision even easier.

yurinka

Eteric Rice said:

Is not a Nintendo game. It's a Capcom game. If they want they can release before MHP3 in PSP and port it to Wii calling it MH3.

By the way Capcom and Nintendo never talked about exclusivity with MH3. Looking at the sales and knowing Capcom, expect another Monster Hunter in PSP in a year or so.

D.Lo

Opiate said:

I believe that porting a Wii game to the 360/PS3 is not an economically viable move, because "okay" graphics on the Wii would be "terrible" graphics on the PS360, and precisely because the PS360 machines have been marketed for their high tech and graphical power, games with poor graphics are going to tend to sell poorly to that particular audience. In reverse, I think porting 360/PS3 games down isn't very economic, either, as it would require an almost complete graphical overhaul. It likely would make more fiscal sense to simply make a new game in many cases.

That's true, but since you're talking generally (not just about MH), then PSP/Wii ports are pretty much finished as a concept because the PSP's poor software sales worldwide mean even a port-down isn't viable any more.

It made sense to publishers who has a PSP project a year ago to add in a Wii version, much like all the quick 'must get on board' PS2 ports the Wii has received. It's not going to work that way anymore, the Wii sells so much more software it will no longer in any way be the platform you port to. Similarly, if you are making a Wii games there's little reason to bother with a PSP port of it any more, because it likely simply won't sell, and thus there is no reason for Wii developers to 'keep PSP in mind'.

As far as MH in concerned, the game was bought by Nintendo when MH was 'big' but not as huge as it is now. If we presume the game was started with the idea of using all the Wii's capabilities, then they won't have 'kept the PSP in mind' apart from perhaps the concept of using the scenarios later with the existing cut down PS2 assets.

Personally I'd much rather we get RE5Wii then MH3 on Wii (just seems a much better fit, and has precedent give RE4Wii and UC and that RE was on Nintendo last gen), but MH could end up being quite a catch for Nintendo if the now established fanbase wants back in to a larger scale sequel.

Eteric Rice

yurinka said:
Is not a Nintendo game. It's a Capcom game. If they want they can release before MHP3 in PSP and port it to Wii calling it MHIII.

I don't know, Nintendo made a pretty big deal about it though. There was probably a contract of some kind involved.

I have no doubt there will be a MHP3 on the PSP containing areas, items and monsters that will be seen in MH3~Tri on the Wii. They may not play identically, but I can imagine that if something new is in Tri, it'll end up in MHP3.

I also have no doubt that Nintendo realise that Capcom are very likely to make MHP3, since Capcom can probably sell ~3 million or so copies of the game to the MHP fanbase on the PSP.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:
Aaaannnddd... you're wrong. GCN was the most efficient video game console for video games last generation. On specs, Xbox was more than a little above the GCN. On actual performance, it was only just a little. I would suggest finding the anandtech technical breakdown of the PS2, GCN, and XBX from last generation before you spout more nonsense. ;)

Aaaannnddd... here would be a prime example of a poorly thought out troll when talking about PSP <-> Wii ports. :lol

How was I trolling? Nowhere did I say Wii and PsP were anywhere near equal. What in there hasn't been taking place in real life and not your dreams. I guess I've just been imaging all the N fan complaints about developers sharing development between Wii and Ps2 everytime a game is announced.

batbeg

gtj1092 said:
Sure buddy. N fans troll the most on this forum. Innotech and Jarrod being two of the biggest. Its just that no one cares because you all implement the latest stealth troll technology.

:O

Chris Michael said:
I think Capcom should try out MH for the DS. I don't see a reason why it couldn't break at least 500k.

Given what MH actually plays like, I'll be glad for them to stick with the PSP, thanks.

gtj1092 said:
Sure buddy. N fans troll the most on this forum.

I... really don't know how anyone could conceivably come to this conclusion, short of extreme myopia (or incredibly selective thread reading). Maybe you're confusing "quantity of trolling" with "how annoying each individual instance of trolling is"? In the latter category, at least, the race for 1st place is definitely still in contention.

Chris Michael said:
I think Capcom should try out MH for the DS. I don't see a reason why it couldn't break at least 500k.

Or they could keep it where it is and try to create a new hit franchise for DS. Monster Hunter's strengths are pretty much exactly suited to the PSP and totally inappropriate to the DS. Right now the series is on an upswing -- avoiding crappy side games that hurt the brand equity seems like a good plan right now.

Also:

Chris Michael
Scheißekopf and
future wife-beater

(Today, 09:25 AM)
Reply | Quote

I don't think I even want to know.

Eteric Rice

Pureauthor said:
Given what MH actually plays like, I'll be glad for them to stick with the PSP, thanks.

Dunno, I've seen companies do some sick stuff on the DS before.

Not saying its gonna happen, or that I even want it to happen, just saying that it can probably be done.

gconsole

It doesn't mean they can't share the resource or have portable version in mind when developing Wii version. Most of Wii game now can be ported to PSP easily with lower polygon and texture. I think there is a tool that can easily do this for the developer without the need for remodeling and retexture the whole game. With last gen technology in Wii, it's a lot easier for using Wii version resource on PSP. A lot different from PS3 or Xbox360.

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
Nowhere did I say Wii and PsP were anywhere near equal.

No, you just said that the difference in tech between PSP and Wii wasn't significant due to how developers were handling ports. You were trying to get people riled up with that statement, which is trolling.

Stumpokapow said:
perhaps you could do with a little of the stealth troll technology
apollo-document(b).gif

Stumpokapow said:
are you sure you're sure, buddy?
apollo-objects.gif

Top Bottom