• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

Eteric Rice

levious said:
that's when the concept of the PS3 having a longer planned lifespan (7-10) and the Wii having a shorter than usual one (3) becomes more popular.

There's going to be another Playstation in about 5 years. Thinking otherwise is madness.

MADNESS!

Neomoto

tanasten said:
You're right. But we should keep and eye to Minna no Golf 5. It's a famous series and it's going to be pushed hard. That's the only hope I see for Sony this year...
Oops, missed this post earlier, sorry. Well I whas semi-joking but there is some truth in it I guess. I don't know about how Minna no Golf 5 will do. The fact that Sony is pushing a game hard doesn't mean much these days (see so called killer apps for PS3 or games like Loco Roco recently). It should do decent numbers, but seeing potentially enormous hits like Gundam Musou didn't do much really doesn't give me much hope. And while the game looks great and all and is populair I don't see it as a system seller. Especially a 500 dollar (or whatever it costs in Japan) system seller. Love to be wrong though.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Bandai otoh failed with 150k Nodame shipment. Its going to take a while (and many pricedrops) to sell that shipment. Joins Tales of the Tempest, Winning Eleven, Heroes of Mana and such by the way. Atelier did good for a Gust title.

Winning Eleven DS - 168.705
Winning Eleven 10 PSP - 118.229
Winning Eleven X (360) - 20.931

Honestly WE DS is everything but not a bomba, especially for a crap game and especially if compared to the other 2 games i wrote...

Deku

Banned
Moor-Angol said:

Honestly WE DS is everything but not a bomba, especially for a crap game and especially if compared to the other 2 games i wrote...

Yeah it didn't do well by DS standards but I know what you mean.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Smiles and Cries said:
I just thought people got over the 599 issue thats all, I did not want to dig up past pain
I would like to point out that my answer was not "$599."

Smiles and Cries said:
I just thought people got over the 599 issue thats all, I did not want to dig up past pain

Well, it still costs $599, so it's not like the issue went away. But seriously, that's really my only beef with the PS3. All of the hype they spewed and their apparent failure to deliver at last year's E3 didn't really bother me. They've spewed hyperbole before, and it was never really a problem.

Once the PS3 comes down to within a much more sensible price range, I'll buy one. No questions asked at all. It's purely a case of not feeling like I would get my money's worth at this point in time.

edit:
I do wonder how many others feel the same way, and I wonder if that will affect the PS3's outcome in any significant fashion. If price truly is the barrier to entry for a lot of people, do you think Sony will see a dramatic upturn whenever they decide to drop the price to 360 levels (or lower)?

There's more to the PS3's failure than just price, particularly in Japan. I think people need to acknowledge that the HD next gen consoles are simply out of step with the current aesthetic mood of the japanese consumer.

D.Lo

Miniboss1232 said:
edit:
I do wonder how many others feel the same way, and I wonder if that will affect the PS3's outcome in any significant fashion. If price truly is the barrier to entry for a lot of people, do you think Sony will see a dramatic upturn whenever they decide to drop the price to 360 levels (or lower)?
a) The 360 isn't selling very well compared to the Wii either

b)No.

when are the sotfware numbers?
Its been coming later and later for the past few months

to clear up the rest of the issues about Sony
Link said:
I would like to point out that my answer was not "$599."

you got bullied by people without pants?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nor was mine

u got raped by a large zuchinni?

Gekkonidae said:
There's more to the PS3's failure than just price, particularly in Japan. I think people need to acknowledge that the HD next gen consoles are simply out of step with the current aesthetic mood of the japanese consumer.

True, I was thinking more along the lines of consumers in the US. And since this is a Japanese sales thread, it probably doesn't gel too well.

But I think you're absolutely right. It's cheaper in Japan than anywhere else (by a large margin, though it's still pretty expensive). And I would agree that HD just doesn't seem to be a big deal in Japan at the moment, which to me seems a bit odd coming from a country that is generally very adoptive of new technology.

It would just be nice to know what the actual consensus among the Japanese populace is on the PS3.

edit:
D.Lo said:
a) The 360 isn't selling very well compared to the Wii either

b)No.

Yeah, again, I apparently forgot I was in a Japanese sales thread. Price shouldn't be an issue in Japan. And with that said, I really don't see what could possibly turn the PS3 around in that territory. I think there's still some minute hope in other territories, but it seems that in Japan, PS3 am bomba total.

Krowley

Miniboss1232 said:
Well, it still costs $599, so it's not like the issue went away. But seriously, that's really my only beef with the PS3. All of the hype they spewed and their apparent failure to deliver at last year's E3 didn't really bother me. They've spewed hyperbole before, and it was never really a problem.

Once the PS3 comes down to within a much more sensible price range, I'll buy one. No questions asked at all. It's purely a case of not feeling like I would get my money's worth at this point in time.

I'm mostly with you on this. The price totally rules the system out.. .No way i can buy that nor would i feel right about paying that much for a game system.

But beyond that, if I were buying a ps3, i would be afraid that the poor sales will lead to a thin library of games. It's one thing to pay 600 bucks for a game system, but it's another thing to pay 600 bucks and get gamecube level 3rd party support.

As far as the hardware goes, it's obviously very reliable, and their are some upcoming games that look phenomenal. I will probably buy one when they start charging 300 bucks for it.

edit// at 400, obviously price isn't the only issue in japan, as you stated above. But i still think 400 bucks is a lot for a game system.

To be serious, I actually don't have anything against Sony. I just really enjoy kicking a man while he's down. Schadenfreude is chocolate for the soul and all. Next gen someone else will be down and I'll give them a good kicking too.

Can anyone imagine what would have happened if the PS3 was the leader this gen at this time with the current price? 600$?

I'd have to give up gaming, console gaming at least. There's no way that I could have or can pay 600$ for a gaming system and buy 60$ games. Since the market would have showed a willing adoption and tolerance for a 600$ system, next-gen machines would have been at least 500$+.

I think gaming would have dwindled overall and been confined to strictly the hard core.

Parl

95% of gamers wanting a PS3 are waiting for rumble. 10k is 5%?! I said "wow". Looks like PS3 has levelled off at 200,000 per week.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Segata Sanshiro said:
To be serious, I actually don't have anything against Sony. I just really enjoy kicking a man while he's down. Schadenfreude is chocolate for the soul and all. Next gen someone else will be down and I'll give them a good kicking too.
Will you be my friend?

Segata Sanshiro said:

did you ever do this to Sega?

JudgeN

FlightOfHeaven said:
Can anyone imagine what would have happened if the PS3 was the leader this gen at this time with the current price? 600$?

I'd have to give up gaming, console gaming at least. There's no way that I could have or can pay 600$ for a gaming system and buy 60$ games. Since the market would have showed a willing adoption and tolerance for a 600$ system, next-gen machines would have been at least 500$+.

I think gaming would have dwindled overall and been confined to strictly the hard core.

Its ironic because I'm sure we all admit that most people post on GAF would be consider hardcore gamers, so why do we care what the casual gamers want. Hell I don't even understand what a casual gamer is, you either game or you don't is how I look at it.

birdchili

sony has been a miserable corporate citizen the past few years: rootkits on cds and exploding batteries springing quickly to mind.

putting a br drive in the ps3 still needs some real justification for people who aren't going to use it to watch movies.

hd console uptake is going to be massively slowed by the lack of hd tvs in dorms, kids rooms, nerd parent's basements, etc... - the exact people that bought dozens of millions of ps2s.

launching with a fps as the flagship title seems an odd choice, though i don't really think that software is the primary problem.

finally - not being wii is hard times for any console these days. the wii controller is compelling and the system works to full potential with the sd tv that most people still use.

Krowley

JudgeN said:
Its ironic because I'm sure we all admit that most people post on GAF would be consider hardcore gamers, so why do we care what the casual gamers want. Hell I don't even understand what a casual gamer is, you either game or you don't is how I look at it.

Just because you're hardcore doesn't mean you can afford a ps3 or 360.. It wouldn't just be limiting the hobby to the hardcore, it's limiting the hobby to the early adopter/tech enthusiast crowd.. Everybody else would have to wait for years worth of price drops to buy a system.

Also if the audience shrinks, eventually the games will dry up and everybody will suffer. Industry growth is a good thing for both the hardcore and the casuals. A shrinking audience would eventually lead to an incredibly stale climate and possibly worse, like an industry crash.

Saitou said:
You ahve shattered them :(
Oh, you've been?

I love Sega more than anyone. I probably love Sega more than just about anything else in the world. But more than Sega I love kicking a man while he's down. Sorry Saitou. But you should try! It's very cleansing.

Deku

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, you've been?

I love Sega more than anyone. I probably love Sega more than just about anything else in the world. But more than Sega I love kicking a man while he's down. Sorry Saitou. But you should try! It's very cleansing.

But Sega never got up. Sony we assume will get its act together in the next few years. Do you go through remorse if the companies you rag on disintegrates ?

Deku said:
But Sega never got up. Sony we assume will get its act together in the next few years. Do you go through remorse if the companies you rag on disintegrates ?
Not really. It's not as though my kicking actually affects the company in any way. Besides, I still buy all the systems and all the good games for them that I can afford. I'm sure if a company could only have either my financial support or my moral support, they'd go with the bag of cash.

JudgeN

Krowley said:
Just because you're hardcore doesn't mean you can afford a ps3 or 360.. It wouldn't just be limiting the hobby to the hardcore, it's limiting the hobby to the early adopter/tech enthusiast crowd.. Everybody else would have to wait for years worth of price drops to buy a system.

Also if the audience shrinks, eventually the games will dry up and everybody will suffer. Industry growth is a good thing for both the hardcore and the casuals. A shrinking audience would eventually lead to an incredibly stale climate and possibly worse, like an industry crash.

This logic just doesn't work for me, if your hardcore gamer my personal opinion is that you always have a constant stream of money to able to support your habit. Maybe my view is corrupted because I've had a constant job since I was 15 and always had money to support my gaming habits but thats just how I look at it. I respect the Wii for what its doing it just makes me sad as a hardcore gamer that I went out and spent money on HDTV only to find this "Next generation" will be dominated by waggle and 480p. But I do enjoy my PS3 and my blue-ray movies so its not so bad.

Eteric Rice

JudgeN said:
This logic just doesn't work for me, if your hardcore gamer my personal opinion is that you always have a constant stream of money to able to support your habit. Maybe my view is corrupted because I've had a constant job since I was 15 and always had money to support my gaming habits but thats just how I look at it. I respect the Wii for what its doing it just makes me sad as a hardcore gamer that I went out and spent money on HDTV only to find this "Next generation" will be dominated by waggle and 480p. But I do enjoy my PS3 and my blue-ray movies so its not so bad.

Thus is the life of the early adapter.

Anyway, I've always seen a hardcore gamer as someone who loves games, no matter what. They have vast knowledge of whats going on in the gaming world, and love many different franchises. Casuals always seemed like the guys that play a game here and there. They usually don't know what's happening in the industry.

Different views is cool, though.

JudgeN said:

Well, regardless of your personal opinion, I'm a hardcore gamer, and I don't have a PS3 because of the price.

But nevermind, you actually just posted to make a veiled attack on the Wii. But that's okay. Things will be better in 10 years.

Moor-Angol said:

ToT sold 200k and its a big bomba, because that was the first shipment, and shops only could get rid of it after putting it on bargain bin. It happened to WE DS, Heroes of Mana, Dawn of Mana and many others.

JudgeN

Miniboss1232 said:
Well, regardless of your personal opinion, I'm a hardcore gamer, and I don't have a PS3 because of the price.

But nevermind, you actually just posted to make a veiled attack on the Wii. But that's okay. Things will be better in 10 years.

Attack on the Wii? I said it was my personal opinion and nothing more also I own a Wii as well as a PS3. My statement wasn't just directed at the PS3 but the 360 as well, since people seem to think $400 is too expensive as well.

Eteric Rice

JudgeN said:
Attack on the Wii? I said it was my personal opinion and nothing more also I own a Wii as well as a PS3. My statement was just directed at the PS3 but the 360 as well, since people seem to think $400 is too expensive as well.

For the average joe, it's pretty expensive.

Kafel

Banned
The PS3 is not waiting for games to sell but for consumers to save enough for it.

If we don't see a big boost in the PS3 sales during the golden week ( japanese kids get a lot of money, right ? ), the PS3 will stay in the coma in Japan until Fall 07.

Well, I would also launch the theory that the mass market now see the PS3 and X360 as "old" ( I know it's shocking but it's certainly makes sense ) compared to the Wii, thanks partly to the hype of Nintendo's system ... but it's too early for that.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dont know how reliable these numbers are, but got them from Maxconsole.net:

In what must be very dissapointing news for Sony, Wii sales were around 7 times as high as PS3 sales in Japan this week, following Super Paper Marios release(which sold over 150,000 copies). PS3 sales have been decreasing week by week in Japan and they are likely to drop to around the 5,000 mark with no major releases until July. The PS3 is suffering a similar fate in the US and Europe, with Wii still sold out everywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Console Week Weekly Total
DS 125 126,157 (-3%) 16,444,104
Wii 21 75,952 (+8%) 2,244,020
PSP 124 29,405 (+11%) 5,447,385
PS2 373 12,128 (-11%) 21,847,292
PS3 24 10,925 (-17%) 885,475
360 72 2,666 (-8%) 376,500
GBA 318 1,316 (-6%) 16,678,823
GC 293 186 (-9%) 4,019,836
Total 258,735

Eteric Rice

All of this is a lot to take in as a Nintendo fan. How did they go from being the company everyone kicked around to a potential market leader?

It's almost like Bruce Wayne when he got his ass kicked by that mobster dude; but went to China and became Batman, then he came back and kicked everyone's asses.

Wow.

Top Bottom