• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Magicpaint said:
I'll raise to that, games can look beautiful in 480p and I like my systems to be affordable, too. :)

They tend to suffer on HDTV's, though. Thankfully theres no way anyone can pass off 480p in 4 or 5 years.

Hopefully we'll see some type of "Wii Lite" once the Wii is constantly in stock, and it'll offer newer games the ability to go 720p in a God of War 2 esque fashion(even though GOW2 wasn't actually 720p they could have just not downsized their original textures)

jimbo

Banned
Magicpaint said:
I'll raise to that, games can look beautiful in 480p and I like my systems to be affordable, too. :)

Unless you own a 1080p TV. Even if the game itself looks great.

Vagabundo

QVT said:
Hopefully we'll see some type of "Wii Lite" once the Wii is constantly in stock, and it'll offer newer games the ability to go 720p in a God of War 2 esque fashion(even though GOW2 wasn't actually 720p they could have just not downsized their original textures)

Kinda like a turbo mode??
I doubt they will do that. WiiHD will come when the Wii stops selling (4-5 years probably) or there is a new competitor on the block.

Parl

Xrenity said:
When does the DS stop selling 100k+?

I dunno. Not anytime soon...

Media Create Sales 4/10 - 4/16 (2017)

NSL: 165,840
DSL: 109,644
Wii3: 88,683
Wii2: 17,918
PSL: 16,204
PS5: 13,945
X1080 : 6,338
PS2:  396
PS4 : 327
NS: 447
PSP2: 143

jepense

Masklinn said:
Holy crapola...

Wait, the Wii alone is selling more than the sum of all non-nintendo hardware?
By a big margin if true... and then on top of that the DS is selling more than Wii + everything else.

1-D_FTW

On my large HDTV they don't look beautiful.

If they use heavily stylized graphics (which should be mandatory for Wii), they can look decent.

But this isn't Nintendo's fault. This is Sony's fault. Setting, and gloating about, an outrageous price point and having your internal game developers not be even remotely close to being ready for its launch is what got them these figures.

They're gonna be pulling 7,000 units a week pretty soon and they don't seem to give a damn. The software not being there is a huge problem, but a desperate price drop is needed NOW. PS3 has been paralleling N64 for years now and if Sony thinks a couple eventual heavy hitters are gonna stem the tide upon release... they're naive.

They need to blow their entire wad now, cause only some kind of miracle is gonna save them now.

jimbo

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Yeah, I'm sure when I finally own a HDTV set, Wii games will look so bad, that they suddenly become unplayable.

Nice spin. What's playability have to do with the fact that it looks bad?

Thraktor

jimbo said:
Unless you own a shitty 1080p TV. Even if the game itself looks great.

Fixed. Seriously people, if you're going to buy a HD set and plan on playing SD content on it, buy one with a decent internal scaler. They do exist, and if you put a bit of research in, they really aren't that hard to find.

apotema

Parl said:

O Rly?? Will X1080 sell that much?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Durante said:
So, dear companions, let's raise our glasses and drink a toast to another 5 years of japanese games in 480p with no AA. I'm crying tears of joy here.
Not.
I think the word you are looking for is 'bitterness'. 'Joy' means something completely different.

Durante

DefectiveReject said:
Wii games look fine on my HDTV
Then again i'm not a graphics whoring single console fanboy!
Wii games look horrible on all HD displays I've seen them on. Even the best scaler doesn't help if your aliased pixels are huge like xbox, and your dithering patterns (IN 2007 PEOPLE) pierce the eye. I'm a graphics-appreciating all-console and PC guy.

Many of the best games ever made ran in resolutions *lower* than 480, so what's the big problem?
The classical fallacy. Those games were great despite the technical limitations, not because of them. The Wii will also have great games like that - it already does have Zelda! They will just look a lot worse than they could have on a real next-gen platform. How much that bothers you depends on your taste.

Durante said:
Wii games look horrible on all HD displays I've seen them on. Even the best scaler doesn't help if your aliased pixels are huge like xbox, and your dithering patterns (IN 2007 PEOPLE) pierce the eye. I'm a graphics-appreciating all-console and PC guy.
Well fortunately there’s about 50million people like me, to every one of you!

Haunted

AniHawk said:
DSL 123814
Wii  68566
PSP 22720
PS3 11970
PS2 12721
360  3067
Nice try, Anihawk. We all know that PS3 is clearly missing a 0.

It's all over.

jepense

Durante said:

The classical fallacy. Those games were great despite the technical limitations, not because of them. The Wii will also have great games like that - it already does have Zelda! They will just look a lot worse than they could have on a real next-gen platform. How much that bothers you depends on your taste.
There are consoles available that give you more than 480p. Nintendo chose to make one that doesn't, and it seems like that was the right thing to do - cutting back costs. The average consumer does not notice "eye-piercing dithering." So you could say that the Wii is, to some extent, successful because of its technical limitations, not despite them.

andthebeatgoeson

Vagabundo said:
I wont do it.

You'll just have to buy a PC like sensible people.
In that, you'll find all the problems of sony. Ignoring his PC comments, Sony priced themselves way out of competition that however did market analysis for them should be castrated. Who did they select for a population? Did they only take a retrospective analysis from GameFAQs or something? WTF? That guy who heads that department should be fired. There is no way they didn't have warning signs.

Or unless, they just repeatedly ignored every sign. I don't even say wow anymore to the sales. It's just wow at how dumb Sony was on this issue. As a matter of fact, with the third party situation as of right now, given Sony would need about 6 miracles to happen, to catch MS, let alone Nintendo, I can honestly say I won't need a Sony machine this gen. GTA is the only thing that'll move me. 360 is getting it day 1.

Actually, I lied. I did buy a PS3 but took it back, never opened it. Technicality.

Model 500

Could someone bother to make a graph or a long list of monthly all system hardware sales (JP, US, EU) after the launch of 360 to this day? Or direct me to an existing one. Thanks!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, insane PS3 numbers if true. I only expect the gap to widen the next two weeks as Nintendo rolls out some big guns.

It's O-V-E-R

Durante

jepense said:
There are consoles available that give you more than 480p. Nintendo chose to make one that doesn't, and it seems like that was the right thing to do - cutting back costs. The average consumer does not notice "eye-piercing dithering." So you could say that the Wii is, to some extent, successful because of its technical limitations, not despite them.
I agree with everything you said - from a business perspective it seems like Nintendo did everything right. As both a gamer and an engineer I just don't like it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
We thought people would buy a PS3, and then a Wii as a second console.
In fact it will be the other way around.

Parl said:

PS5's not selling! Sony am doomed!

andthebeatgoeson

I like where this Mcreate thread is headed. Is there a new fish around here? I smell fresh fish. I put 10 wii points on the first one to cry (durante) when the lights go out (confirmed hardware, NPD). Either way, Andy Dufrense won't even make a peep.

FrankT

skinnyrattler said:
I like where this Mcreate thread is headed. Is there a new fish around here? I smell fresh fish. I put 10 wii points on the first one to cry (durante) when the lights go out (confirmed hardware, NPD). Either way, Andy Dufrense won't even make a peep.

Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

wonderfuldays said:
Cut PS3 price Sony, it won't be fun if only one Wii future in JAP.

I think it'll be plenty fun. I never really witnessed the evolution of the Nintendo fanboy, watching the birth and cultivation of the Sony fanboy is actually quite interesting.

wonderfuldays said:
Cut PS3 price Sony, it won't be fun if only one Wii future in JAP.
you mean cut the price *again*.

i don't want to see a one console future either... but sony aren't in the best position to cut the price. when you *need* to cut the price to drive sales, that is never a good scenario, espescially if you're the new console on the market.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think it'll be plenty fun. I never really witnessed the evolution of the Nintendo fanboy, watching the birth and cultivation of the Sony fanboy is actually quite interesting.
huge initial sales and a big drop off show me that the fanboys were already out there... they just weren't revealed. those are the kind of sales trends we associated with the gamecube.

joetachi

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yep that's what i want to see Sony fans turn into that.

Parl said:

DC2: 104,737
Edited for great justice.

plagiarize said:
you mean cut the price *again*.

i don't want to see a one console future either... but sony aren't in the best position to cut the price. when you *need* to cut the price to drive sales, that is never a good scenario, espescially if you're the new console on the market.

The way the market works is: The one in the best position to cut the price is the one that doesn't need to.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pureauthor said:
The way the market works is: The one in the best position to cut the price is the one that doesn't need to.
That should be added to your GAF for dummies book :) .

birdchili

are there any ps3 jrpgs on the horizon at all? i realize that new gen year one is always a scant one for japanese rpgs, but this gen seems particularly bad (with the 360 arguably in the lead on this front still?)

i don't think even a substantial price drop puts sony back in the game at this point - they need software, and i'm not sure what's upcoming and exclusive that will make a big difference. the momentum (or lack thereof) of bad market perception is *really* hard to shake too.

there are going to be a lot of postmortems discussing the "premature hd" mistake methinks.

OffT: creamsugar - who drew your avatar and where is it from?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
birdchili said:
are there any ps3 jrpgs on the horizon at all? i realize that new gen year one is always a scant one for japanese rpgs, but this gen seems particularly bad (with the 360 arguably in the lead on this front still?)

i don't think even a substantial price drop puts sony back in the game at this point - they need software, and i'm not sure what's upcoming and exclusive that will make a big difference. the momentum (or lack thereof) of bad market perception is *really* hard to shake too.

there are going to be a lot of postmortems discussing the "premature hd" mistake methinks.

OffT: creamsugar - who drew your avatar and where is it from?

Madden 07

For Golden Week

BEEEREEEIVE!!

birdchili

schuelma said:
Madden 07

it would be safe to *totally guess* that Madden doesn't exactly light up the charts in Japan, right?

and that it's not exclusive?

are they doing another Wii-ified version for 07?

Parl said:

No dreamcast?! Blasphemy!

jimbo

Banned
Thraktor said:
Fixed. Seriously people, if you're going to buy a HD set and plan on playing SD content on it, buy one with a decent internal scaler. They do exist, and if you put a bit of research in, they really aren't that hard to find.

For your record I've got one of the newest and best LCD TV's on the market. It doesn't matter how good a scaler is, you're going to get one of two things. With a great scaler, less pixelation, but more blurr....or more pixelation but less blurr. A TV is not going to create information that just isn't there in the image. It will scale-up or stretch the image to fit the screen.

The Wii or any other non-HD source simply looks like crap, and almost always WORSE than a regular CRT TV would.

People can spin this as much as they want, the fact is the Wii's graphics and image quality will become even more noticeable as times goes on, not the other way around. Once everyone gets used to HD 360/PS3 graphics, looking at even the best Wii screenshots will be the equivalent of PS screens compare to the previous generation.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jimbo said:
People can spin this as much as they want, the fact is the Wii's graphics and image quality will become even more noticeable as times goes on, not the other way around. Once everyone gets used to HD 360/PS3 graphics, looking at even the best Wii screenshots will be the equivalent of PS screens compare to the previous generation.

Yeah, but how long it will take until everyone is willing to buy a PS3 or XBOX 360?

Remember with consoles that launch at the $300 price point had a huge majority of its sales when it hit the $200 mark and below.

Top Bottom