• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 5/5 - 5/11

Jokeropia

Where's the rule that says that the bestseller of a certain year has to be released that year? If a previously released game sells more within the year in question, why shouldn't it count?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kswiston said:
What is the third game in the big 3? Kingdom Hearts?

EDIT: Nevermind. Answered in the post above :D

Yeah. They are part of the five JRPG series that really have pull in the industry in terms of numbers. The others would be Pokemon and Mario RPGs

Golden Sun, Tales, and Chrono all could be...but with Scamco screwing up Tales constantly in the West (and the East), and Golden Sun and Chrono MIA, those five are only heavy weight JRPGs WW right now.

Unless I'm missing some?

Laguna

Banned
HK-47 said:
Maybe thats why they went crazy with the remakes and spinoffs lately. Quantity or quality?

Last year they used "Final Fantasys 20th anniversary" as an excuse for their insane amount of "Final Fantasy" games. This year their lineup is much more diversified. After 2006 and 2007 it seems a bit awkward that they haven´t released any Final Fantasy games in Japan this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:
Oh sorry it becomes even better

This is pure gold :D

Wii Sports sold more than MHF2 last year by a hair. MHF2 was still the top selling 2007 game, since Wii Sports was released in 2006. If Wii Fit outsells MHP2G, it will be a repeat of that scenario.

Top Selling Games in 2008: 1. Wii Fit, 2. MHP2G.
Top Selling 2008 Games: 1. MHP2G.

Pretty simple to understand.

Jokeropia said:
Where's the rule that says that the bestseller of a certain year has to be released that year? If a previously released game sells more within the year in question, why shouldn't it count?
There's no rule, there are just different facts, game that sells the most in the year, game of the year that sells the most...

Beaten above, football time guys, Chelsea is going to win I can feel it...

kswiston

When does Square Enix end their fiscal year? March 31st? DQIX could still miss the 2008 calendar year but make S-E's 2008 fiscal year.

While I don't think DQIX is guaranteed to see release this year, I doubt S-E will let two full fiscal years pass without releasing a new entry for one of their big IPs. Have they had a game break 2M worldwide since Final Fantasy XII?

Laguna

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Wii Sports sold more than MHF2 last year by a hair. MHF2 was still the top selling 2007 game, since Wii Sports was released in 2006. If Wii Fit outsells MHP2G, it will be a repeat of that scenario.

Top Selling Games in 2008: 1. Wii Fit, 2. MHP2G.
Top Selling 2008 Games: 1. MHP2G.

Pretty simple to understand.

I know that Wii Sport sold better than Monster Hunter 2 last year. It was hilarious to read his post - broken fanboy logic ftw!!! "Hey, even if it sells better YTD than Monster Hunter, it won´t be the best selling game this year" The same goes for his last years example. Applause!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:
I know that Wii Sport sold better than Monster Hunter 2 last year. It was hilarious to read his post - broken fanboy logic ftw!!! "Hey, even if it sells better YTD than Monster Hunter, it won´t be the best selling game this year" The same goes for his last years example. Applause!

It's great that you two have a budding eRomance, but do you really think it's reasonable to choose "HE'S A BROKEN FANBOY WHAT AN IDIOT OMG HILARIOUS" over "i think the choice of words in this sentence is a little off"?

I read his post, said "wait, hold up... oh, he meant 'best selling 2008 game' versus 'best selling game of 2008'", and then moved on. I'm pretty sure that's the reasonable way to read the post.

kswiston

Jokeropia said:
Yeah, but you said "best seller in 2008". :p
421,622 units by Famitsu numbers. A bit more than a "hair".

You're right. I started this discussion off by asking if MH2P2G was a lock for being the best selling game of the year if DQIX slips to 2009. If Wii Fit sells the most YTD, that it is technically the best selling game of 2008.

However, I don't think Wii Fit will catch up to Monster Hunter. Wii Fit and Wii Sports were released almost exactly a year apart, which is convenient for making comparisons between them, as you don't have to factor differences in time of year when you look at sales after X weeks.

Anyhow, Wii Fit is tracking ahead of Wii Sports this time last year by about 500k units, but most of that difference is attributed to the fact that Wii Fit had a stronger launch month than Wii Sports. For their respective YTD totals (YTD 2007 for Sports and YTD 2008 for Fit) Wii Fit is ahead by 150-200k after 5.5 months. Wii Sports went on to sell another 900k in the remaining 6.5 months of 2007.

If Wii Fit continues to track similarily (but slightly higher) than Wii Sports for the rest of the year, we're looking at an additional 1.1M in sales for the rest of 2008, for a total somewhere between 2.25-2.3M.

Monster Hunter Portable 2G is already at 2.12M coming off a 56k week. If it starts seeing heavy drops in coming weeks than, at worst, it should sell 2.3M by December. Realistically, sales will be in the 2.5M range.

So, for Wii fit to win the year, it's legs will have to be a notably better than Wii Sports.

Laguna

Banned
In an internet forum you have to write what you mean. Yes you can try to guess what he meant, but this doesn´t change what is written. I brought up the term "fanboy logic" because it´s indifferent when a game is released. If an older game sells better than a newer one you should accept it and not trying to play the spin doctor, because its even more useless than posting in an gaming forum, yes even more useless than reminding him :lol thats why I wrote -> "broken fanboy logic" aka "urge for spinning facts"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Laguna said:
In an internet forum you have to write what you mean. Yes you can try to guess what he meant, but this doesn´t change what is written. I brought up the term "fanboy logic" because it´s indifferent when a game is released. If an older game sells better than a newer one you should accept it and not trying to play the spin doctor, because its even more useless than posting in an gaming forum, yes even more useless than reminding him :lol thats why I wrote -> "broken fanboy logic" aka "urge for spinning facts"

You are nitpicking

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:

Kurosaki Ichigo

You're really stretching, dude. It was a syntax error, anyone giving him the benefit of the doubt would have been able to parse the sentence, and it'd be more than excusable for a native Englishman let alone a Spaniard.

¡Espero que me gustaría ser tratada de esa manera!

jarrod

Banned
kswiston said:
ll be in the top 5. At the very least, it will Reach 1.7M by the end of the year. I doubt Pokemon Diamond or DQVI will be that high before Dec 31st. Has DQVI even been confirmed for 2008?
Agreed actually, I forgot about Brawl.... revising my list...

1. Dragon Quest IX (DS) Square Enix/Level-5
2. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) Capcom
3. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) Nintendo
4. Dairantou Smash Bros. X (Wii) Nintendo/Sora/Game Arts
5. Pokemon Platinum (DS) The Pokemon Company/Game Freak/Creatures Inc

Shiggy

jarrod said:
Agreed actually, I forgot about Brawl.... revising my list...

1. Dragon Quest IX (DS) Square Enix/Level-5
2. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) Capcom
3. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) Nintendo
4. Dairantou Smash Bros. X (Wii) Nintendo/Sora/Game Arts
5. Pokemon Platinum (DS) The Pokemon Company/Game Freak/Creatures Inc

Animal Crossing?

Laguna

Banned
Like I said before it´s useless to exclude "older" games when talking about best selling games in 200X. Because in the end it´s just a cheap attempt to spin. This same thing was done with the "Top selling games in 2007" some months ago. It was funny that the only excluded 2006 game was WiiSports :lol It´s obvious that those differentiations are mostly brought up by people with a certain bias, sad but true.

Laguna said:
Last year they used "Final Fantasys 20th anniversary" as an excuse for their insane amount of "Final Fantasy" games. This year their lineup is much more diversified. After 2006 and 2007 it seems a bit awkward that they haven´t released any Final Fantasy games in Japan this year.
Well, it's only Q2, and Q1 had My Life as a King.

Laguna

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, it's only Q2, and Q1 had My Life as a King.

Ok, that got completely under my radar :D What´s next? The only announced "Final Fantasy" game that could be released this year is "Dissidia". Either way, this is nothing against SQEXs "FinalFantasy" rage in 2006/2007...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Laguna said:
Ok, that got completely under my radar :D What´s next? The only announced "Final Fantasy" game that could be released this year is "Dissidia". Either way, this is nothing against SQEXs "FinalFantasy" rage in 2006/2007...

That ignores the localization of several FF games for the states and europe...

Laguna

Banned
HK-47 said:
That ignores the localization of several FF games for the states and europe...

I was talking about Japan.

Laguna said:

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pureauthor said:
Luminous Arc 2 sees a 10K increase in opening week sales over the first one.
Awesome, it might actually deserve the sales this time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ComputerNerd said:
7k? Is that a new low?

wohlverine_animation.gif

yep

Brak

kswiston said:
Have they had a game break 2M worldwide since Final Fantasy XII?
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker must be pretty damn close if it isn't already.

I don't really remember how FF3 did in NA and PAL-land but it must be around 1.6 -1.7 million.

Laguna said:
The only announced "Final Fantasy" game that could be released this year is "Dissidia".
If we're just talking Japan, I think it's conceivable that FFXIII could release at the end of the year. At this point it's plausible that the game itself is near-done, and it's market considerations that are dictating the release date. Without a media blitz already ramping up, though, a release in six months seems pretty unlikely.

kswiston

Brak said:

I don't really remember how FF3 did in NA and PAL-land but it must be around 1.6 -1.7 million.

I forgot that FFIII came out a couple months after FFXII. Final Fantasy III might have made it past 2M. I remember S-E reporting sales of 450k for the US at somepoint, and about the same in Europe later one. Not sure if they were talking about copies shipped though.

I heard DQM tanked badly in North America. Maybe Europe pushed the title over 2M, but we didn't help.

jesusraz

Brak said:

DQM's over 1.5 million in Japan, so it could be on its way to 2 million worldwide...maybe. In the UK it didn't even make the DS Top 30, although S-E Europe says it is ticking over nicely in Europe as a whole, just not selling as quickly as expected.

FFIII did just over a million in Japan, around 500,000 in the US and sold very well in Europe, so that's probably the most likely to have crossed 2 million.

Phife Dawg said:
Do you expect it [Valkyria Chronicles] to sell better in the west (relative to userbase)? I sure don't.
Probably worse, actually. Same ratio to userbase would be a first month around 315k in the U.S. That sounds like a decent success for a SRPG in the States, though it's a gut feeling and I'm not going by real numbers.

Vinnk

test_account said:
I am quoting myself here, anyone know how many limited editions of PS3 MGS4 that will be put out for sale at launch?

I have the same question.

Recently a lot of the bundles have been 10,000 units. Mina No Golf got a lot more but it took Sony months to get rid of those so I am not sure if they will do a print run quite that big.

I think I remember hearing something about 40k MGS4 bundles but I fear that might have been someones guess rather than fact. It seems a bit low to me.

If Sony really believes that MGS4 has a chance to move hardware and halt their downward spiral they should do at least 60-80k. Really, the number they actually do produce could be pretty damn telling about Sonys confidence in this title and the system in general for the near future.

DCharlie

Banned
Damn it, Japan. Don't you ever complain about originality in games, do you hear me?

you need to look at the big number...

120k for a PS3 game? Add in that it's a SEGA Ps3 game?

the total sell is pretty darned good really. I would have expected much lower.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
I'd make the thread, but I wouldn't be here to update it in a timely fashion once Cheesemeister got the formatted version together.

Unless PS3 sold 32K this week (it was 7K in Famitsu), Wii Balance Board is officially past the PS3.

So we waiting on the Wii Fit triumphant thread?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dragona Akehi said:
Kojima will be fine. I'd worry more about Konami-put-all-eggs-in-one-aging-soldier's-basket.

hey they have Pro Not Evolving Fast Enough to Stop FIFA Soccer as well

BTRA

Banned
Would I be wrong to say that except for KH and FF on the PS2 that every Square title since then has basically bombed in America?

Top Bottom